The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 July 2020, 05:49 AM   #1
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Soliciting Opinions on Daytona

Movements. The old Zenith or the current Rolex made. Looking at a couple with the Zenith movement. Thanks
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 06:08 AM   #2
JohnnyM
Banned

Watch: All the good ones
Do you really care about the movement? The double ones are superior watches and the Zeniths have better long term investment potential. So what kind of buyer are you?
JohnnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 07:45 AM   #3
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
People get nostalgic about the zenith, but it’s an inferior movement to the new Daytona. I owned both, and not having the ability to hack the second hand was a problem. Despite the hype, the zeniths were made for many years. The only advantage of the SS zenith Daytona is that the older models lack the polished lugs, and have black subdials which does reduce the bling factor and that is an advantage.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 08:40 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
Movements. The old Zenith or the current Rolex made. Looking at a couple with the Zenith movement. Thanks
The only reason to buy a Zenith powered Daytona is to say that you have one, or you are looking to hold it for appreciation. Same with the earlier Valjoux; they are worth a lot, but they also cost a lot.

You get the one you want, you don't compare one to the other, there isn't any comparison except for similar looks.
Old 12 July 2020, 08:44 AM   #5
Bobby T
Banned

I have both........I much prefer the look of the Zenith.
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 10:44 AM   #6
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Zenith fan here myself, brushed lugs and bracelet along with black sub dials are a win in my book.
Old 12 July 2020, 05:17 PM   #7
DGB
"TRF" Member

They’re not the same, it’s not the same feeling when you wear them.
Zenith is lighter on the wrist, it’s more going to vintage, more delicate, no hacking (you can hold the second hand with the crown to hack it but NEVER do that).
The 6 digits is a technically better watch, the bracelet is much better built and more solid, it is more shiny, more blingy.
In my view the Zenith is more collectible as you have many variants, much more than the 6 digits. For the most collectible, value can go up to 6 to 7 times the basic variant. Box and paper makes a huge difference with the Zenith.
Ideally get both if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 05:32 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Both great movements but today the Daytona must be the most over hyped modern day watch Rolex made, and today many buy and wear the hype.Myself prefer the Zenith dial lay out but must admit not a modern Daytona fan always buy the watch you want to own and wear.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 10:43 PM   #9
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I concur that the Daytona has become a victim of the hype. Yes, it's a beautiful watch and has history behind it, but prices are ridiculous and I can't read the time on most of them.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 11:47 PM   #10
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

I really like the Zenith Daytona but the price is so steep. The 116520 is a "bargain" compared to the other Daytona iterations.
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:35 AM   #11
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I concur that the Daytona has become a victim of the hype. Yes, it's a beautiful watch and has history behind it, but prices are ridiculous and I can't read the time on most of them.
How has it become a "victim of the hype"?? Prices continue to rise on the secondary market and it continues to be a "hard to get" watch as its been since the late 80's-early90's.
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:54 AM   #12
David007Kim
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
In my opinion any Modern Day Rolex is far “Superior” due to updates to movements and of course the “Solid Links” and “Clasp”! 904L Steel is Unbelievable,...the luster and durability is second to none. The 116500 is probably the very best version made excluding the “Hype”. I can honestly say that from the start of the “Ceramic Models” they “should be” priced a little higher than the current retail(?!). It is a shame however how “Grey Dealers” have hoarded these pieces by the dozens and as a result they cannot be enjoyed as much on people’s wrists. I guess nowadays you have to “pay to play”???
David007Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:58 AM   #13
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What in particular about a Daytona with a Zenith movement appeals to you?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 01:00 AM   #14
Amanubis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520 / 1665 GW
Its almost like comparing different watches. The 116520 and 116500s are far more attention grabbing and signal a change in the Daytona's traditions as a thoroughbred workhorse. The zenith I feel is the last Daytona that exemplifies that tradition.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk
Amanubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 01:19 AM   #15
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
The newest movement the 4130 was the first one with the extended 72 hour reserve; it has set the standard for all the new movements which have followed. I'd go modern!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 01:26 AM   #16
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I prefer the Zenith layout.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:19 AM   #17
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I have the Daytona-C but have owned the Zenith. I think the Zenith is better looking but the bracelets on the Rolex-movement Daytonas are 100% better in every way. The Zenith is a better collector piece but the newer Daytonas are much better watches IMO.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:20 PM   #18
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
If it were not for the “Hype”, I would not have known about several watches. I for one appreciate the hype, led me to my white dial Ceramic Daytona which I was lucky to get my name on an early one after they were announced. I also have my name on an incoming 116508 John Mayer. JM talked about it in his collection, and that’s how I found out. Thank you again for over hyped watches!!