The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 July 2009, 06:18 PM   #1
chas13
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 bk
Royal Oak Offshore Help Please

Good Morning Wise forum. After 3 years of wrist time with my lovely Daytona I feel ready to treat myself to something new. Yesterday I tried on a ROO black face with a black rubber strap at a shop in the city and I was very impressed with the feel and the quality but at over £9k 2nd hand seem very steep. So Iam after any info on going rates, AD discount's and personal experiences please.

Thanks In Advance

Mark
chas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2009, 10:43 PM   #2
chas13
"TRF" Member

46 view's no replies, Thanks guys
Old 10 July 2009, 11:30 PM   #3
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
To be honest i think the ROOs aren't that nice, they're overly big and the rubberised one just doesn't look that great to me.

There is a new movement out for the ROOs, it's an Audemars in-house movement and seemingly quite good, might be worth having a look at these, they're in the 'volcano' model and others, and i've seen them around the place at around £9000-10000 secondhand (and by secondhand i mean less than 6 months old!).

I personally prefer the Royal Oak Chronograph, if you like the Daytona but want something slightly bigger, but with the same style then the RO Chrono is a beauty, if you get the new one it comes with another new in-house movement and the newer bracelet, you can get these for about 9-10k as well, but with the bracelet over the rubber strap.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2009, 01:09 AM   #4
chas13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post
To be honest i think the ROOs aren't that nice, they're overly big and the rubberised one just doesn't look that great to me.

There is a new movement out for the ROOs, it's an Audemars in-house movement and seemingly quite good, might be worth having a look at these, they're in the 'volcano' model and others, and i've seen them around the place at around £9000-10000 secondhand (and by secondhand i mean less than 6 months old!).

I personally prefer the Royal Oak Chronograph, if you like the Daytona but want something slightly bigger, but with the same style then the RO Chrono is a beauty, if you get the new one it comes with another new in-house movement and the newer bracelet, you can get these for about 9-10k as well, but with the bracelet over the rubber strap.

Thanks for are taking the time to reply. Comments duly noted
Old 11 July 2009, 01:50 AM   #5
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas13 View Post
Good Morning Wise forum. After 3 years of wrist time with my lovely Daytona I feel ready to treat myself to something new. Yesterday I tried on a ROO black face with a black rubber strap at a shop in the city and I was very impressed with the feel and the quality but at over £9k 2nd hand seem very steep. So Iam after any info on going rates, AD discount's and personal experiences please.

Thanks In Advance

Mark

GREAT WATCHES !!!

You can buy them new for 11K euro, so why look second hand ?
Only 1 bad thing about the ROO, the bezel scratches VERY easily
Old 11 July 2009, 01:55 AM   #6
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Also remember that i'm talking from my experience, the ROOs just don't really do it for me as i've tried them on but they just don't seem to work as well as the RO chrono, but on another wrist and to another eye they could be perfection

I would definitely look at the newer ones though, with a new movement it's going to knock the prices of the older ones, especially the likes of the rubberised one with old movement fitted.

Old 11 July 2009, 02:20 AM   #7
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also remember that i'm talking from my experience, the ROOs just don't really do it for me as i've tried them on but they just don't seem to work as well as the RO chrono, but on another wrist and to another eye they could be perfection

I would definitely look at the newer ones though, with a new movement it's going to knock the prices of the older ones, especially the likes of the rubberised one with old movement fitted.
can't agree with this
'I would definitely look at the newer ones though, with a new movement it's going to knock the prices of the older ones, especially the likes of the rubberised one with old movement fitted. '

Imo it will have no influence at all
Old 11 July 2009, 02:23 AM   #8
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
can't agree with this
'I would definitely look at the newer ones though, with a new movement it's going to knock the prices of the older ones, especially the likes of the rubberised one with old movement fitted. '

Imo it will have no influence at all

From people i know who are looking at ROOs, they're all looking at the new movement, it's being sold as truly 'in-house' and not the JLC hybrid, so it's very popular and will knock the older non limited editions down a bit, it's the way the watch world works.

Old 11 July 2009, 06:01 AM   #9
xgrassm
"TRF" Member

ROO is a very nuice watch, but Rolex daytona is forever.
if u're looking for a big sub watch u can take a look at panearai PAM 127!
xgrassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2009, 07:06 AM   #10
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Daytonas are more common, and for me they're less of a watch.

Here's the new movement, shame it's hidden behind the solid caseback

Here's the old movement in the ROOs

Old 11 July 2009, 05:23 PM   #11
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
From people i know who are looking at ROOs, they're all looking at the new movement, it's being sold as truly 'in-house' and not the JLC hybrid, so it's very popular and will knock the older non limited editions down a bit, it's the way the watch world works.

than, how do you explain that people prefer older daytona's to the newer ones ?
The 1970's with the lemania movements are top collector pieces, those from the 1990's with Zenith movements are also much more sought after than those with the post 2000 Rolex 'inhouse' movement.

Or look at the Patek Philippe chronographs, look at the chono's like 5070 - 5970 - 5004. Or older pieces like 3970 - 2499 - 1518 ...
They will always be much more sought after than the new 5960 or 5980.

Or try to find some old Longines with the 13ZN movement ...

Today there won't be a big difference between older and newer ROO because the JLC base is not that old yet.
But give it some time ... things will change :-)

When things are new, some people will pay more to get the first. Like we saw witth the Volcano ROO and the Panerai 312 but when things cool down, they won't be more expensive than a similar ROO or Panerai with a non-inhouse movement
Old 11 July 2009, 06:24 PM   #12
argee1977
"TRF" Member

As i said it'll know the older prices down, who knows what will happen in the future, but in the present people want the new movement that AP have been selling hard, there's even a bit of down playing the old movement which served them well for years, same thing happened with Rolex and the Zenith to In-House move, they played down how good the EP was and how great the in-house movement was, AP are doing the same thing just now and the initial prices of older models will suffer for a year or two at least.

It's all good from my point, i'm thinking about an AP ROC, or maybe even a ROO if i can justify the size, and the older movement models look just the same, work just the same and feel just the same, but i'm now able to barter a bit more due to 'oh it's got the old movement in it', as stated this isn't a bad thing, it should move the prices and give people a better chance of owning an AP ROO at a good price.