The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 October 2017, 04:43 AM   #1
BristolCavendish
Banned

When Something Cool Becomes Seemingly Uncool

I had an interesting conversation last evening with a friend whom I have known since my college years (back in the late 1970s). In his opinion, everything that he once cherished during his younger days has now become either superficial and/or borderline tacky due to its current perceived status symbolism. As a result, he has now retreated into a somewhat low-key existence when it comes to high-end consumer goods.

Case(s) in point. At one time (primarily during the early-to mid 1970s) BMWs like the 2002 tii and 3.0 CS models were esoterically cool cars and each had their own unique following. The same could be said of pre-war Martin guitars and 4-digit Rolexes. Then came the self-important/upwardly mobile/yuppie mid-1980s and the entire sublime concept got shot to hell. Within a matter of months, newly emboldened 320i owners were now giving earlier BMW drivers a bad reputation (due to their oftentimes rude and incompetent driving personas/techniques), Rolexes became nouveau-riche status symbols and the majority of recently-produced and vintage-era Martin guitars had become little more than extrinsic ego gratifications for self-indulgent owners who couldn't even play a basic triad chord. High-end audio and photographic brands soon followed and the pattern continues into the present.

Looking back in time, I had to agree to a certain extent. In the mid 1970s, we both owned 2002 tiis and spent considerable off-hours modifying our cars via Hardy and Beck/Miller and Norburn/Alpina aftermarket performance components. Classic Rolex models like the 1675 and 5513 remained somewhat unfamiliar to the masses and the majority of Martin guitars were mostly owned and played by a devoted and musically competent following. Fast forward to 1990+ and everything has seemingly/noticeably changed, perhaps for the worst.

What the hell happened along the way?
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 05:24 AM   #2
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

There is a lot of truth to what you and your friend discussed. Sometimes after we acquire things in life they are not as great as we thought they would become. That being said, I can't wait to someday purchase a DD! Perhaps it is the journey of having the goals and working towards them that is most rewarding. Great post!
rolex75216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 05:29 AM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex75216 View Post
There is a lot of truth to what you and your friend discussed. Sometimes after we acquire things in life they are not as great as we thought they would become. That being said, I can't wait to someday purchase a DD! Perhaps it is the journey of having the goals and working towards them that is most rewarding. Great post!
Not only that but I think when it comes to common then it no longer had that underground I know a secret kind of cool.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 06:06 AM   #4
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
What the hell happened along the way?
We got older.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 07:35 AM   #5
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Understanding of true value versus "cool" happened. I was lucky that I grew up in a working class household where "cool items" were not a reality. They were just not affordable. Consequently my focus while growing up was on need not want. By the time I could afford things considered "cool" I realized it was unnecessary. I would select items I liked versus others opinions.

That doesn't mean I don't own quality products that some may consider "cool". I just don't look at my things from that perspective.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 09:03 AM   #6
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
We got older.
Fact of life, my friend.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 09:11 AM   #7
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Fact of life, my friend.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 09:44 AM   #8
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
We got older.
Yep, well said.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 10:19 AM   #9
j0oftheworld
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Tradition(al) is always cool.
I'll be here keeping on keeping on!
j0oftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 10:29 AM   #10
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

When Something Cool Becomes Seemingly Uncool

Much truth to what you have stated. When it comes to my Rolexes I buy and wear them because of the history and the quality. I also feel it’s somewhat of an achievement. It also used to be cool and the in thing to do for women was wear furs. Quite the opposite today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 10:38 AM   #11
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

Every concept of " cool" is relative and of its time

Except for Miles Davis, that's eternal !!!!!!
DJ TT 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 12:34 PM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Eh. Maybe you just thought you were cooler back then. Material goods are just that.
Old 23 October 2017, 12:42 PM   #13
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
We got older.

and priorities change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ TT 2002 View Post
Every concept of " cool" is relative and of its time

Except for Miles Davis, that's eternal !!!!!!
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 02:30 PM   #14
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
I think this is a case of "generaron is better than the current generation" but present time is cool as well. A Rolex is still a Rolex and will be cool in 50 years. I don't know if I make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alexwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 02:45 PM   #15
SCBPX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
Interesting: especially the car part: many years ago when the children were young i had a very beat up 1988 Mercedes estate car - the ones with a fold up 3 rd row of seats. It was a family member almost. I said if in the future i could find a time warp version i would buy it

Last year i imported a 1995 registration one from japan -it is in incredible condition, driving it sadly is a let down: it is no longer cool even to me, here's hoping perhaps the cycle will turn and when much older it will be cool once more . Hmm nostalgia is a powerful thing. Fully agree cool is relative and of its time.

I could have bought a Patek Calatrava with the money !
SCBPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 04:03 PM   #16
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Not only that but I think when it comes to common then it no longer had that underground I know a secret kind of cool.
I suspect that this is the primary reason/explanation. When something develops a devoted and knowledgeable 'underground' cult-following, the perceived sense of its uniqueness (or coolness) can easily disappear if it becomes widely recognized and fervently pursued by 'mainstream' audiences/buyers. For some, the initial allure and exclusivity gets lost in the process.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 04:44 PM   #17
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBPX View Post
Interesting: especially the car part: many years ago when the children were young i had a very beat up 1988 Mercedes estate car - the ones with a fold up 3 rd row of seats. It was a family member almost. I said if in the future i could find a time warp version i would buy it
more than likely, sounds like a W124 solid tank of a Merc that later got renamed "E-klasse" - if you had anything less than the 300TE24 it would be pretty gutless performance wise, worse still is MB's gearbox takes off in 2nd. Recirc ball steering rack gives it a disconnected feel even when new, zero feedback but I can steer it with one finger

30yrs on if you wanted it restored to as-new handling, assuming frame is solid rustfree, you'd need to renew every suspension & subframe bushings, new shocks, new tyres. But they didn't handle all that great when new either don't forget it's bred to be a Frankfurt taxi!!

yeah I grew up with similar era, we had various sedans plus 190SL then pagodas in the carport. Truth be told... IMHO they all weren't all that great at handling!!! They were probably saved more by the newly introduced Radial belted tyres rather than Merc suspension geometry.

Over in the BM camp... 2002 were cool for a 5-10yo car then it's uncool long before the Alpina crowd appeared with their JPS E30s. 2002s and Batmobile were rustbuckets, many met their fate via tinworm. What's left.. gee whiz, they definitely aren't cheap Junkers anymore! Reaching similar status before long will be the 80s 632/635CSi - get one now if you ever wanted one before.

Otoh trouble with cars keeping their coolness into the future... trouble is these days hipsters & kiddies DONT DRIVE ANYMORE!! they're just not interested, I know many who don't even think of getting driving licences these days. Aargh! BiTD you'd be thought weirder than max headroom if you didn't know how to drive.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 04:51 PM   #18
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexwwjd View Post
A Rolex is still a Rolex and will be cool in 50 years. I don't know if I make sense.
well, many of us own 50-60yo heirloom units. They're mostly tiny 33-34mm. Bubbleback desirability peaked probably 10yrs ago afaik. I think they're cool because of the family heritage, but to anyone else on the street... doubtful.

in 50yrs time will today's giant wristclocks still be cool?

Some say AppleWatch won't be cool after a few years, fair call. Then again, I've got Apple products going back 25-35yrs, so I'm likely biased.
Old 23 October 2017, 04:52 PM   #19
SCBPX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
Correct it it the W124 e class and the one i got from Japan is a 320: And yes you are correct about the kids of today not regarding cars with the same reverence . As long as the car is cheap safe and fuel frugal thats all the majority care about.

I do hope though that enough of them will care about watches to grow to love them beyone mere time keepers ( "dad thats what iphones are for" ) and keep haute horologie in good health ! Its such a great thing.
Apologies for the mild thread hijack!
SCBPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 05:14 PM   #20
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I've always been a bit sceptical about the "cool" thing.
When I was at school the "cool kids" were only "cool" because their parents had more money than others and they had better "stuff".
I've met very few genuinely cool people in my life - most were "try-hards".
The only one I can think of wasn't rich, didn't have any trendy/fashionable gear, and didn't have an overblown ego like "The Fonze". He was however a total 'individual' and didn't give a toss what others thought of him. He was polite, considerate and brave.
You can't buy "cool".

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 05:33 PM   #21
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I've always been a bit sceptical about the "cool" thing.
When I was at school the "cool kids" were only "cool" because their parents had more money than others and they had better "stuff".
I've met very few genuinely cool people in my life - most were "try-hards".
The only one I can think of wasn't rich, didn't have any trendy/fashionable gear, and didn't have an overblown ego like "The Fonze". He was however a total 'individual' and didn't give a toss what others thought of him. He was polite, considerate and brave.
You can't buy "cool".
I think of calling things "cool" and "uncool" as an inarticulate/imprecise way of expressing values. Sadly most people, especially kids, are following the crowd rather than thoughtfully developing their own values
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 06:31 PM   #22
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBPX View Post
I do hope though that enough of them will care about watches to grow to love them beyone mere time keepers ("dad thats what iphones are for") and keep haute horologie in good health ! Its such a great thing.
Well, don't just sit there wishing it just to happen get off your butt and do something towards the cause!!

Heh few mths ago I gifted our #1 her "first real watch", a BabyG... surprisingly it just about hasn't left her wrist 24/7, it's even worn in bed! (I don't.)

Today I told her "gentleladies don't wear big chunky watches when they dress up" whilst glinting a cute little ladies Oris in my paw (pretty good job on polishing case & crystal, if I say so myself)... she took the bait, willingly switched Japanese Quartz for Swiss mechanical.

Your kids sound like they're in their 20s... well, it's never too late!
Old 23 October 2017, 06:54 PM   #23
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Fads always fade, hence why it's wise to never get caught up in them. Best to stick with classics whether it 's fashion, cars, or watches.
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 12:47 AM   #24
ttsisk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We got older.
That is the truest thing i've read on this forum.
ttsisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 01:08 AM   #25
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
yeah I grew up with similar era, we had various sedans plus 190SL then pagodas in the carport. Truth be told... IMHO they all weren't all that great at handling
There's not much cooler than a 280SL to tool around town in. I'll agree the 190 might be a slug, but the handling of the pagoda is still more than respectable 40 years later.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 01:13 AM   #26
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
Fads always fade, hence why it's wise to never get caught up in them. Best to stick with classics whether it 's fashion, cars, or watches.
Agree completely, but true classics are judged by history and many are not able to so readily discern in the moment.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote