The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 November 2020, 02:55 PM   #1
LeftieUSA
"TRF" Member

Booklets

I purchased a wooden box and papers from an ebay seller and thought the box I received was incorrect, so tonight I googled "fake Rolex booklet" and came upon this article which made me get out my loop to check my purchase.

https://www.watchprozine.com/rolex/v...s/6979808/732/

I'm trying to decipher if the booklet I received is a true Rolex explorer ii booklet or a printed fake. The article states "The most important thing to remember these brochures are printed on a printing press with ink. All the fakes are done with photocopiers and the two process are very clearly visible with the help of a loop. Once you establish you have a printed item you can be sure a faker did not go through the expense of printing thousands of brochures as it is not financially feasible. One photocopy is way cheaper so that is what you must learn to detect."

I compared my loop images to the examples in the article and mine has what seems to be pixelation? Below are 2 images I took from the loop of some parts of the 1999-2000 Explorer II booklet. Detailed shot of the "Rolex" logo on top right and of the printed watch. If anyone has a true printed rolex booklet from explorer series can you check yours with a loop and see if you have similar pixelation, or check out that article as well.

LeftieUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 03:04 PM   #2
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
I would ask this on the Vintage Rolex Forum (not the vintage section of Rolex Forums).

P.S. I recommend inquiring upon which box and booklets that will come with your purchase ahead of time so that you don't get into this mess.

and as always BUY THE SELLER.
116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 03:10 PM   #3
LeftieUSA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtalk View Post
I would ask this on the Vintage Rolex Forum (not the vintage section of Rolex Forums).

P.S. I recommend inquiring upon which box and booklets that will come with your purchase ahead of time so that you don't get into this mess.

and as always BUY THE SELLER.
Thanks!
Old 25 November 2020, 03:22 AM   #4
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftieUSA View Post
I purchased a wooden box and papers from an ebay seller and thought the box I received was incorrect, so tonight I googled "fake Rolex booklet" and came upon this article which made me get out my loop to check my purchase.

https://www.watchprozine.com/rolex/v...s/6979808/732/

I'm trying to decipher if the booklet I received is a true Rolex explorer ii booklet or a printed fake. The article states "The most important thing to remember these brochures are printed on a printing press with ink. All the fakes are done with photocopiers and the two process are very clearly visible with the help of a loop. Once you establish you have a printed item you can be sure a faker did not go through the expense of printing thousands of brochures as it is not financially feasible. One photocopy is way cheaper so that is what you must learn to detect."

I compared my loop images to the examples in the article and mine has what seems to be pixelation? Below are 2 images I took from the loop of some parts of the 1999-2000 Explorer II booklet. Detailed shot of the "Rolex" logo on top right and of the printed watch. If anyone has a true printed rolex booklet from explorer series can you check yours with a loop and see if you have similar pixelation, or check out that article as well.

It looks like my booklet but who can tell from the photograph of a photo copy? Probably a better chance of authenticating the box.
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 04:11 AM   #5
Will_L
"TRF" Member

Looks ok to me. It should be an offset print instead of inktjet (most used fake)

https://inkjetinsight.com/topic/conv...me-for-inkjet/
Will_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 05:57 AM   #6
dan993
"TRF" Member

Wouldn't look like it does if it was photocopied. That is proper printing there mate.
dan993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 01:20 AM   #7
LeftieUSA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan993 View Post
Wouldn't look like it does if it was photocopied. That is proper printing there mate.
Thanks. Good to know. I took my loop and compared it to an authentic newer booklet and the text seems to be perfect. I was worried, you never know buying something off ebay.
Old 26 November 2020, 06:29 AM   #8
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan993 View Post
Yes - What dan993 says.

Yeh - watch out for Fleecebay. It. Is. A. Minefield.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote