The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13 January 2021, 04:59 AM   #1
edslee327
"TRF" Member

Help Me Decide Which Vintage Royal Oak to Keep!

Can only have 1... I'm going in between these two. initially set out to find a vintage RO, which turned into searching for a birth year watch, and narrowed the search to these 2 options. have 2 days to decide!

14790ST - Steel, MK1 Blue/Grey Dial, 36mm, turned slightly tropical, birth year watch - 1992. Bought off reputable vintage dealer, bracelet has a lot of stretch, mild polishing. hands, crown, and dial all appear correct.

Pros:
-MK1 Tropical Dial
-Birthyear
-Slightly more horological significance and rarity over the gold?
-Cost is just about 10-11% less than the gold
-might be a better investment piece over the gold, especially with the RO 50th anniversary coming up

Cons:
-bracelet stretch
-the first link attached to the case doesn't stand firm in flaring out like most APs, rather just falls straight down. i'm sure this is common in some of the vintage pieces but it just makes it feel slightly less secure
-the clasp/buckle just makes me feel slightly nervous. when i push down to close, i get some "uneven" resistance and if i'm not careful, it's possible it's not fully secured down

14486BA - Yellow Gold (but more like a brass/bronze, and not as loud as the current yellow gold APs), from approx 1988, grey dial,

Pros:
-it's gold! - would be my first PM watch
-watch could be used as a stepping stone towards acquiring another hard to get piece (would really like the ss black dial daytona at retail...)
-less wear, tighter bracelet, less polishing perhaps
-the feeling i got when i first saw it was slightly more "wow" but could be because it was in a nice showcase, and in person, rather than receiving the steel one in the mail...
-even though it's gold, it doesn't have a typical appeal...

Cons:
-dial's not as pretty, but could be a pro that I get to "make it tropical" on my own :)
-not my birth year and less horological significance than a steel RO
-NOT quickset, so could be kind of annoying if i let the watch sit around for a while without use
-slightly more expensive, it's gold + probably paying the premium because it's sold by a big retailer
-crown is tinier in this mid-sized iteration, not sure if it's a con/pro but it is noticeably different

Pictures below, let me know anything else I should be considering? Any helpful responses are appreciate, thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1348.jpg (140.0 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1331.jpg (87.5 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1329.jpg (114.1 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1347.jpg (111.6 KB, 366 views)
edslee327 is offline   Reply With Quote