The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 25 December 2020, 03:30 AM   #1
thsiao
"TRF" Member

Panerai and Stallone - the truth?

Found this article while perusing on my IG... crazy if true.

https://perezcope.com/2020/12/23/the...tory-debunked/
Old 25 December 2020, 04:22 AM   #2
antelope
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
crazy story. if true many bad actors ( article seems pretty convincing)
Old 25 December 2020, 08:47 AM   #3
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Thanks for the article, very interesting. Too bad Panerai is in trouble again
Old 25 December 2020, 09:08 AM   #4
Waitlisted Watches
"TRF" Member

This makes total sense now, thanks for sharing
Old 25 December 2020, 09:29 AM   #5
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing- interesting read for sure!
Old 25 December 2020, 10:03 AM   #6
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Ouch for panerai. In the end, just love their unique style and could care less about any of this though
Old 25 December 2020, 10:05 AM   #7
thsiao
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Ouch for panerai. In the end, just love their unique style and could care less about any of this though
True. Doesn’t change the fact that I like how their watches look. But it does suck that they misrepresented themselves if true. Their “fake” narrative was too perfect. This story seems to make more sense to me, except for the part that Panerai would be giving watches for free and not even have a contract signed . Isn’t that Business 101?
Old 25 December 2020, 10:46 AM   #8
CanPam
"TRF" Member

Strange that this article was published yesterday and not some days before the auction. For the author there was nothing new under the sun.
His campaign on IG ("General strike! Don't buy Panerai! Boycot that shit!") is too sensational and really poor in my opinion...
Old 25 December 2020, 11:16 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
In the end, just love their unique style and could care less about any of this though
^^^ this.

Soooooo looking fwd to getting the 1118 as ONLY Panerai could pull off successfully imho. Panerai is Panerai, Bell & Ross is... You know exactly what brand it is instantly.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 25 December 2020, 11:29 AM   #10
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Conspiracy theorists are EVERYWHERE! And really BORED!!
Old 25 December 2020, 12:53 PM   #11
turpe
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC MasterCalendar
Whilst this is a fascinating, and well-researched, article, every time Perezscope writes about Panerai, it always comes across as though he asked Panerai to prom, and she said no - and now he’s trying to badmouth her to the whole school to make himself feel better about the rejection.

For me, I’m a lot less concerned about how a Luminor ended up on Sly’s wrist than I am about the fact that, if it hadn’t, I may not have had the opportunity to strap one onto my own.
Old 25 December 2020, 01:17 PM   #12
EdmundGTP
Banned

Even if the article is 100% true, it doesn't make me love my 312 any less, nor would it stop me from buying another Panerai.
Old 25 December 2020, 10:24 PM   #13
emtee
"TRF" Member

Interesting but makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to my love of Panerai watches. I don’t even see it as an issue, pretty much all brands do this sort of thing. And as someone else mentioned if this hadn’t have happened there’s a good chance we wouldn’t even be posting in the Panerai forum as the brand may have died.
Old 26 December 2020, 01:36 AM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
As an early Paneristi and a one time collector with a significant Panerai Collection, I can tell you the article does matter and the brand is dead to me and many others. The misrepresentation of material facts regarding the brands origin and history, by the brand, is not what I support or will tolerate. Panerai has been called out across multiple platforms and has had to back up from many of the stories they have told. Another example is Bremont and when they announced they did an in-house movement only to be outed that it was a modified outside movement I stopped considering a purchase. I know that the advertising game is as much about what you do not say as much as what you do say but facts as significant as what is mentioned in the article and other articles from other credible sources is enough to take me away from the brand and I will never return.
Old 26 December 2020, 02:34 AM   #15
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundGTP View Post
Even if the article is 100% true, it doesn't make me love my 312 any less, nor would it stop me from buying another Panerai.
Exactly. Still a great watch with a great history.
Old 26 December 2020, 02:40 AM   #16
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Perezcope is a member here I believe. His articles are thoroughly researched and in my opinion well written. The Panerai history has truly been embellished which is rather sad and I think it’s correct that the truth is outed. He also happily shows images of genuine older and original models.
Old 26 December 2020, 05:04 AM   #17
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

The auction house, Phillips, should share the majority of the blame if the article is true. They do most of the presale advertising to peak interest. Just my two cents.
Old 26 December 2020, 05:56 AM   #18
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
90% of the current buyers don't care of the history or Stallone or auctions. The brand name , quality , R&D after sales service is currently at its top with Panerai. Long term things are looking good as of now. Panerai has achieved a cult status and a strong following , the design language is similar to Porsche.
Old 26 December 2020, 09:59 AM   #19
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Perezcope is a member here I believe. His articles are thoroughly researched and in my opinion well written. The Panerai history has truly been embellished which is rather sad and I think it’s correct that the truth is outed. He also happily shows images of genuine older and original models.
Yes, he does a great job in his research. Part of the problem early on was that very few actually knew the details of Panerai's history. It's not so much that the history has been embellished, its that in some instances the details were off and people both tried to fill in the blanks while others flat out lied. As more actual details of its history come out, we are finding that the real history is actually just as good or better than the made up or misinformation that was originally spread. The issue that many of the old guard Paneristi have I believe is that modern Panerai won't change its marketing and media when new facts dispell the old information.

At the end of the day, Panerai has a great product with a truly unique and interesting history. I believe as time goes by they will "get it straight" on the marketing side.
Old 26 December 2020, 11:58 AM   #20
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Interesting read, thanks for posting

Looking at the timeline of watches was most fascinating, especially a certain RO like model from the very early days.

It doesn’t overtly skew my thinking of the brand to the negative though after reading.

Good on Sly for sticking with the story, maybe no one told him they wanted to change the narrative.

One would have to be pretty naïve not to think this kind of thing goes on all the time across multiple industries.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 26 December 2020, 10:27 PM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfagan View Post
The auction house, Phillips, should share the majority of the blame if the article is true.
Auction houses.... ROFLOL!!! For many years they've been cohorts to 'selling the sizzle' as it brings in higher prices, which in turn brings higher commissions for their auctions (follow the money). So next time to read "rare and important' as associated with ANY timepiece description, i'd ignore it 99% of the time as marketing fluff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
One would have to be pretty naïve not to think this kind of thing goes on all the time across multiple industries.
Exactly.

IMHO the bottom line is to get what YOU love, as offered by mechanical timepiece companies that provide a MINIMUM of five-year warranty and excellent customer service. Any warranty less than five years nowadays brings into question their product's reliability / quality... especially at these luxury goods pricing. Panerai products are reliable, the company provides a generous warranty, plus Panerai service times are very reasonable too.

PS: As a member of the press within the luxury goods sector for decades, odds are many here would be... 'surprised'... at some of the marketing BS some manufacturers try to pass off within their press releases. Sadly, few journalists seem to 'out', or at a minimum remove or outright ignore and thus never publish their marketing BS. And yes, have endured backlash (from time to time) from certain members of the luxury sector for not blindly parroting a manufacturer's marketing BS.

Here's some food for thought:

e4f2077fb44ea88206f9e7acf2e99618.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 27 December 2020, 02:09 AM   #22
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Ugh, let the Panerai haters have a platform and it’s comical how predictable it gets. Conspiracy theories, perceptions of reality, etc... Everyone has their own special spin or “reliable sources” to promote themselves. Perception of reality “is” reality in marketing and it has always been that way. I love where Panerai is today and hope the mainstream stays away.
Old 27 December 2020, 04:07 AM   #23
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
@enjoythemusic - an epic gonzo quote. :)

I love my 111. I’d have a couple more PAMs if I could get them at MSRP but the whole limited edition thing has ruled that out.

To be honest I bought *in spite* of the folklore, not because of it.

Buying a timepiece used by an Axis power military isn’t exactly a selling point to me - I just dig the watch.
Old 27 December 2020, 04:29 AM   #24
emtee
"TRF" Member

One good thing that came out of this thread for me is I’d never heard about that site before and have just spent the whole afternoon reading a number of fascinating articles. Super cool and the guy is most definitely not a Panerai hater, quite the opposite actually. The time and effort he must have put into researching these articles is impressive to say the least

Looking forward to reading more.
Old 27 December 2020, 04:31 AM   #25
emtee
"TRF" Member

Oh and I now have a new iPad wallpaper. Seriously considering getting this printed and framed.

Old 27 December 2020, 06:01 AM   #26
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Thanks for the post. I too was taken in by this misinformation in the 90s. The upside was that I bought my Fiddy, a watch I won’t ever sell.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
Old 27 December 2020, 07:25 AM   #27
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Thanks for the post. I too was taken in by this misinformation in the 90s. The upside was that I bought my Fiddy, a watch I won’t ever sell.
You and me both!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fidr.jpg (281.4 KB, 592 views)
Old 28 December 2020, 01:33 AM   #28
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
What’s the big news here? That a Hollywood star and a watch company used a movie for product placement and embellished the back-story for the benefit of both? Hasn’t that been going on forever with many stars and many companies?

I love the research and detective work in the article, but the “gotcha” element falls flat because the story is not surprising at all. Also, the article loses some credibility, IMHO, when it calls Panerai a “laughing stock of the horological world” at the beginning. I’m sure there are plenty of watch enthusiasts who disagree with this and still love the brand. Seems like the author has an axe to grind for whatever reason.

I don’t own any Panerai watches and have no dog in the fight, but I prefer to read objective reporting of news, even in the watch world. Just my 2 cents.
Old 28 December 2020, 01:44 AM   #29
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
What’s the big news here? That a Hollywood star and a watch company used a movie for product placement and embellished the back-story for the benefit of both? Hasn’t that been going on forever with many stars and many companies?

I love the research and detective work in the article, but the “gotcha” element falls flat because the story is not surprising at all. Also, the article loses some credibility, IMHO, when it calls Panerai a “laughing stock of the horological world” at the beginning. I’m sure there are plenty of watch enthusiasts who disagree with this and still love the brand. Seems like the author has an axe to grind for whatever reason.

I don’t own any Panerai watches and have no dog in the fight, but I prefer to read objective reporting of news, even in the watch world. Just my 2 cents.
^^Bingo^^^. There is absolutely a “Gotcha” motive in the entire article which really holds little to no weight. Like 4 pages of why the KFC “Colonel Sanders” wasn’t really a military figure and the real bomb shell, nor was Captain Crunch. The fact that someone would spend so much time to investigate this speaks volumes about the author and motives.
Old 28 December 2020, 01:49 AM   #30
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
^^Bingo^^^. There is absolutely a “Gotcha” motive in the entire article which really holds little to no weight. Like 4 pages of why the KFC “Colonel Sanders” wasn’t really a military figure.
Neither Colonel Sanders or I served in the military. However, we are both commissioned Kentucky Colonels.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Closed Thread