The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 19 May 2017, 01:10 AM   #31
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Maybe I'm off on the service bill between the two. But regardless there is price difference that is apparently noticeable if people are bringing it up as consideration.

Hands down most watch services even a non factory watchmaker typically has better servicing than any car dealership you bring your car to. Even if it's a higher car brand. It's the nature of the industry. The attention to detail at watch service centre is higher.
Not in my experience unfortunately. Have a look.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=424258
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 01:15 AM   #32
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Not in my experience unfortunately. Have a look.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=424258
Lol! Guess not...

Haha, I'm basing it on my experiences I had far. Again, my two cents. Cheers! :)
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 02:03 AM   #33
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Yet to own an AP so can't comment on my personally experience of one Vs the other but to the OP's question quality can cover a whole heap of different areas and would expect Rolex will excel in some likewise AP in others.

Horses for courses and all that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
44mm Ap roo vs a Rolex SkyD RG is a much better comparison than a $7k SS Rolex vs a $25k ROO.

I own both the AP and Rolex and to me the Rolex feels better in both fit. finish and feel. Not to mention one of my markers on the AP looks to be slightly crooked.
You mention cost of a PM model Rolex, do you think there is a higher degree of quality, fit and finish between an SS and PM Rolex?
Is the WG/YG Sub quality above the SS or in reverse of your comment will the new SS SkyD be any less quality, fit and finish to the RG version?
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 02:07 AM   #34
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Here is one of my favorite anecdotes from my early days on the TRF.

After having some quality issues with my first Rolex, I was told If you want "perfection" you need to start looking at Audemars PIguet or Patek. After sending my very first AP to APSC twice in the first 4 months, I was told "an Audemars Piguet is a handmade piece of art! If you want something that is built with laser precision and built by machines to perfect operating tolerances, you need to get a Rolex".

Obviously the point is, both have pros and cons. After owning 3 APs and almost a dozen Rolexes, I find my Rolexes to be truly exceptional workhorse tools that have an amazing blend of form and function. AP on the other hand are amazingly beautiful and yes, are pieces of art. They do not however have the same versatility of a Rolex IMO. If I could only own one it would be a Rolex for sure.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 02:50 AM   #35
ivanos
"TRF" Member

How does the finishing compare between AP RO and Rolex Day-Date?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ivanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 03:03 AM   #36
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

If someone has an AP they will probably have a Rolex or two also.
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 03:10 AM   #37
Xerxes77
Banned

I have many AP ROO in the past and IMO I can say it's more quality finishing maybe a more work of art finishing but this work of art are his costs: the watch are scratch magnet and I don't believe you can use it for a daily use!
More then that I have problems with accuracy with all my watch! The best work arround +-6 sec/day. This problems I don't have with my Sub or my SD!
So, if now I need to choose btw Rolex and AP I will take Rolex without any doubt!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 03:39 AM   #38
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Yes the finish of an AP is much nicer but it is also that much more delicate. The two are in different leagues really. I never thought I could wear my Rolex carelessly until I got my AP. After I bought my AP I realised just how durable and reliable the Rolex is. I love both just as much though, each has its own merits.
exactly my experience and thoughts - the combination of quality and robustness (even in PM) is what makes rolex really appealing to me
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 04:00 AM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I agree with the general sentiment, my AP RG ROO does feel more refined, complex, beautifully finished and more thought out than my gold Rolexes. However my gold Subc has a stunning and smile-inducing sunburst dial, a wearable gold bracelet with a glidelock facility, and is more worry free and probably more reliable. And that is why both are stalwarts of my own Holy Trinity collection.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 04:04 AM   #40
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Yes the finish of an AP is much nicer but it is also that much more delicate. The two are in different leagues really. I never thought I could wear my Rolex carelessly until I got my AP. After I bought my AP I realised just how durable and reliable the Rolex is. I love both just as much though, each has its own merits.
I had the same, mate, the YG Sub suddenly became my beater and worry free watch, after I got a Nautilus and the ROO.
Old 19 May 2017, 04:08 AM   #41
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Except it's nowhere near that. Your looking at around 1.5-2x more for a watch that costs that much more. Also, you'll get much better service than RSC, sort of like going to a Lexus dealer instead of a chevy dealer.
Yes, AP RO service is around £800, so actually better value than a Sub when you compare their retail price delta.
Old 19 May 2017, 04:09 AM   #42
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I had the same, mate, the YG Sub suddenly became my beater and worry free watch, after I got a Nautilus and the ROO.
YG Sub beater oh how you slum it Neil

You know a WG Daytona would be a great beater, my beater (116600) has now been promoted to a classic so the Daytona is now my do anything watch and I though I was made
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 04:14 AM   #43
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
YG Sub beater oh how you slum it Neil

You know a WG Daytona would be a great beater, my beater (116600) has now been promoted to a classic so the Daytona is now my do anything watch and I though I was made
I know how hideous this sounds, but it really is true as a lot of the time I didn't want to wear my TBB or black sub. I don't care about bracelet marks and the ceramic bezel is dynamite so it worked for me, and the WG Daytona would even more so.
Old 19 May 2017, 04:14 AM   #44
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26420RO
The great thing about Rolexes is not having to baby them (that said, they are not indestructable...don't drop yours on a marble floor like I did).

In my experience (4 Rolexes), the quality has been great, but for sure I think the AP finishing is a notch above. The AP RO metal bracelet is arguably the prettiest in the entire watch game.
Superburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 11:05 AM   #45
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
They are both fantastic watch companies...it is cliche but buy what you like and you will be happy regardless!

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 12:48 PM   #46
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
I was a bit annoyed when I got my 15400 to see that it beats at 6 beats per second, the same as my $700 Seiko SARX, yet less than the 8bps of all my Rolex.
However, the AP is a real work of art in the case and bracelet as well as movement vs the more durable ceramic bezeled Rolex I own.
I sometimes fear wearing my AP in case it gets scratched or dinged.
I never fear wearing my Rolex, as I feel they are durable for any occasion.
I've dropped (from 3feet) my ceramic GMT on more than one occasion onto a tile floor with no real damage. If I drop my AP, I'd freak out.
Just my thoughts on owning both.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 08:33 PM   #47
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
I was a bit annoyed when I got my 15400 to see that it beats at 6 beats per second, the same as my $700 Seiko SARX, yet less than the 8bps of all my Rolex.
However, the AP is a real work of art in the case and bracelet as well as movement vs the more durable ceramic bezeled Rolex I own.
I sometimes fear wearing my AP in case it gets scratched or dinged.
I never fear wearing my Rolex, as I feel they are durable for any occasion.
I've dropped (from 3feet) my ceramic GMT on more than one occasion onto a tile floor with no real damage. If I drop my AP, I'd freak out.
Just my thoughts on owning both.
Don't see what the problem is with the beats per second, some watches beat lower some higher, different pros and cons for both style, if you do research you will see that every brand says at how many beats their watches go

I had 4 Rolex and flipped all of them, along with my 3 Pams, when I went high end. About a year ago I thought I would get the Daytona C because I like it and thought it would be nice to have a Rolex, but decided to let my wife have it, and when I look at it, sure it is a very nice watch, but any of my 5 other watches is so much above on looks, feel, finishing, and most important comfort, than any Rolex I have owned, comfort is why all my other watches were sold mainly, didn't bother me before I went high end, but with PP and AP the comfort is amazing, after that felt I had a brick on my wrist with any Rolex or Pam, ok the 116515 was ok, but living in Paris I was wearing it almost never, yes Paris is a dangerous city.
About service prices sure AP is a little more than Rolex, but not to a point where it is ridiculous, for a time and date the price is a few hundred more, not shocking in my book, plus they have amazing SC, when my ceramic case cracked it was fixed, well more like replaced, in less than 2 months, what is shocking is not A, but PP, really hope that when one of mine is due for service I won't have to wait 6 months to get it back, at the same time since I have 3 it shouldn't be too awful, but the poor guy who has only one that really sucks
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 09:26 PM   #48
GSBC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachdanon View Post
I am wondering whether the comments on the delicate nature of the APs are founded... at least for the common 3120 movement.
^^^ my friend daily his 15400 for the past 6 years. It takes a beating. While the the watch itself picked up many scratches and nicks, the movement has been flawless. Cost of servicing aside, I wonder if others think the 3120 movement is pretty bomb proof and not as delicate as some may say.
GSBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 11:34 PM   #49
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Maybe I'm off on the service bill between the two. But regardless there is price difference that is apparently noticeable if people are bringing it up as consideration. Which in the grand scheme of things is justifiable between an AP and Rolex. Kind of expected as the brand is clearly different.
It's normally people that have no clue what they're talking about that give these absurd service quotes.
Old 19 May 2017, 11:34 PM   #50
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBC View Post
^^^ my friend daily his 15400 for the past 6 years. It takes a beating. While the the watch itself picked up many scratches and nicks, the movement has been flawless. Cost of servicing aside, I wonder if others think the 3120 movement is pretty bomb proof and not as delicate as some may say.
Not sure, my 2 AP have the same movement, but one is unworn from 2009 and needs a service, and my diver is maybe 3 years old, with it had no problems
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 01:58 AM   #51
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I was in a dilemma about whether to get a solid gold Rolex Yachtmaster 2 or new rose gold AP RO Chronograph on strap.

The Rolex deal breaker for me was the ridiculously useless 'easylink' adjuster on the bracelet. I'd have to wear the watch tight because I can't stand it flopping around - and its a weighty watch. The trouble is if its tight when I'm cold, when I get hot and my wrist expands a bit it will be too tight and not pleasant - and there's no easy way to adjust it a small amount (the easylink is about 4 or 5mm).

Because of this I've now decided to dismiss the gold YM2 as impractical. For the life of me I just don't understand why Rolex don't put a clasp like the DSSD has with micro adjustment on it - it would transform the watch. I do already have a gold/steel YM2, so am talking from experience about the problem for me.

Only dilemma now is whether to go for the brown or blue AP!
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 06:19 AM   #52
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBC View Post

Would love a picture of that piece, hope he hasn't had it polished!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 22 May 2017, 01:21 AM   #53
Onx
"TRF" Member

My AP15300 exudes much more quality than the rolex until the buckle screw almost fell out by itself twice on me. The movement is sometimes inconsistent (fast by a couple mins per day) and after I set the time, the minute hand would jump forward as I push the crown back. It doesnt seem to be broken but I've read other people having this issues. So even though it is of a higher quality, I would say it is much more delicate.
Onx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 02:58 AM   #54
wisguy
"TRF" Member

AP is higher end and therefore higher finish, quality might need to consider other factors.

I think Rolex makes the best watches, but not the finest.

Rolex is bulletproof most of the time, whereas other have issues from time to time.

That's why I have a mix of brands.
Old 22 May 2017, 03:08 AM   #55
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWCO View Post
Look away now Rolex purists! I recently had the very fortunate experience of trying on a few AP peices with the view of buying the ROO Diver and I'm afraid to say that personally I feel the quality of the AP's (and I tried a variety of pieces, RO chronograph, ROO Chronograph, ultra thin RO, and even a concept) all which seem by far better quality than any Rolex I have ever tried on and hate to say it but my GMT doesn't feel the same anymore after having an AP on my wrist. Would love to hear you thoughts and if anyone has had the same experience.
Well, I pretty much agree.
Old 22 May 2017, 03:18 AM   #56
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onx View Post
My AP15300 exudes much more quality than the rolex until the buckle screw almost fell out by itself twice on me. The movement is sometimes inconsistent (fast by a couple mins per day) and after I set the time, the minute hand would jump forward as I push the crown back. It doesnt seem to be broken but I've read other people having this issues. So even though it is of a higher quality, I would say it is much more delicate.
If it is a couple of minutes fast a day, it may have been magnetized. I would send to APSC and have it looked at. Open backed watches are more susceptible to being magnetized, sapphire caseback has much less protection to EM waves than steel.

Buckle screw falling out can happen on any watch. Put a bit of Loctite (a very little bit), and make sure you get the correct color so that it can be removed if desired; some people have put the strong stuff on which requires ruining the screw to remove it.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 09:25 AM   #57
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Just because AP has some more detailing doesn't mean their quality is anymore or less then any other brand. If Rolex did a tapisery dial and beveled their case edges we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

You need to separate the extra aesthetic features an AP has that is not comparable to Rolex.

The bottom line is Rolex can do anything any other watch does. Their cash and resources are for more then any watch brand or parent company.

I love both AP and Rolex, no bias here
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 09:40 AM   #58
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I believe Rolex is a charitable foundation and gives much money to charity. Or so I heard on a video about Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
dup post- please delete
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 10:02 AM   #59
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
Just because AP has some more detailing doesn't mean their quality is anymore or less then any other brand. If Rolex did a tapisery dial and beveled their case edges we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

You need to separate the extra aesthetic features an AP has that is not comparable to Rolex.

The bottom line is Rolex can do anything any other watch does. Their cash and resources are for more then any watch brand or parent company.

I love both AP and Rolex, no bias here

With all those "resources" they can't buy history in haute horology that AP has built. Rolex is a tool watch company that marketed its way into the luxury watch market. AP has had over 140 years of making haute horology pieces.

We might compare all Rolex models with APs base models but Rolex doesn't have anything that can compare to complicated APs. Yes Rolex has the resources/$$$ to make a complicated watch but it wouldn't appeal to their primary demographic. They could do a publicity stunt and make a 1 of 1 grande comp, tourbillon, minute repeater, etc and it would probably pull in a good amount. However I dont see Rolex really playing in the $100k+ market.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 10:10 AM   #60
alexlt730512
"TRF" Member

both watches do have high quality finished; however, I think Rolex is more robust.
alexlt730512 is offline   Reply With Quote