The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 May 2016, 06:42 AM   #1
rolexamateur
"TRF" Member

New GMT Master II fast

Hello.

I bought a GMT Master II 2 months ago. After I got it it was consistently 4 seconds fast a day, which is a good performance I think. I wound it once with 20 turns of the crown and then wore it about 4-5 hours a day. If I would not wear it it would stop after about 36 hours, so the winding wit 4-5 hours of wear was good I think.

Then I went on holidays for 2 weeks and left it in a drawer. When I came back I wound it with 40 turns of the crown and after 2 hours I thought I had set the minute hand wrongly because it was already a minute fast. Next day it had gained another 60 seconds in 24 hours. Then I did not wear it for 2 days and it stopped. Then I wound it with 20 turns and for the first 12 hours it gained almost nothing. After wearing it after another 12 hours it had gained 30 seconds again.

How come the watch sped up all of a sudden??! And is it normal that the watch seems to become faster when I wind it with 40 turns instead of 20?

I am really annoyed because now I will probably have to have it adjusted, even though it is a brand new watch.

Any ideas anyone?
rolexamateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2016, 11:53 PM   #2
Chubbador
"TRF" Member

Apologies for the cut and paste job, but here's a reply of mine to another (similar) post earlier this year. Might be worth bearing in mind...

"My 2015 Sub (ref 114060) is currently at Rolex in Kent, England, after I noticed it was running between 45 and 90 seconds fast PER DAY.

This only presented itself when the watch was worn for a decent length of time and several days in a row when I was active (walking mostly, never wore it exercising). When took it off at night it ran perfect, with barely a seconds gain.

Rolex and I both think it may be due to 'overbanking' (one of a few terms I've heard, including 're-banking'), whereby when the mainspring is fully wound (as it is after long wear periods or activity) it releases too much energy into the gear train."
Chubbador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2016, 08:27 AM   #3
rolexamateur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbador View Post
Rolex and I both think it may be due to 'overbanking' (one of a few terms I've heard, including 're-banking'), whereby when the mainspring is fully wound (as it is after long wear periods or activity) it releases too much energy into the gear train."
Yeah. That is what my rolex dealer told me too. He said on a new watch it sometimes happens that the oil and lubricant on the spring is inadequate so too much energy is released. The moving part "Unruh" moved over 300°, according to an electronic watch analysing tool. Very rare, he said, but it does happen.

So they sent it in to Rolex....

Thanks for replying.
Old 24 July 2016, 06:18 AM   #4
fisherman79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexamateur View Post
Yeah. That is what my rolex dealer told me too. He said on a new watch it sometimes happens that the oil and lubricant on the spring is inadequate so too much energy is released. The moving part "Unruh" moved over 300°, according to an electronic watch analysing tool. Very rare, he said, but it does happen.

So they sent it in to Rolex....

Thanks for replying.
You mean the balance has an amplitude over 300 degrees? Thats how it should be.
My sub has an amplitude of 330 degrees dial up.
A lower amplitude and running fast could be a magnitized movement.
fisherman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 07:13 AM   #5
rolexamateur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman79 View Post
The Rolex AD said something else. He said his measurement said it was too high.

It has been in service now for 5 weeks.. still not ready!

A BRAND NEW WATCH!!!
Old 7 August 2016, 08:52 AM   #6
michigan.watches
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure how things differ overseas but here in the US, Rolex service routinely takes about six weeks. If you were told you would have it back sooner, someone may have been overpromising.

As for the power reserve, I usually manually wind a Rolex about 50 turns to make sure it is fully wound if I haven't worn it the prior day. I don't think 20 will be sufficient.
michigan.watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2016, 08:17 AM   #7
MortenSK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In a freshly serviced watch, Rolex want the amplitude to be between 270 degrees and 310 degrees.
MortenSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2016, 10:21 AM   #8
rolexamateur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan.watches View Post
I'm not sure how things differ overseas but here in the US, Rolex service routinely takes about six weeks. If you were told you would have it back sooner, someone may have been overpromising.

As for the power reserve, I usually manually wind a Rolex about 50 turns to make sure it is fully wound if I haven't worn it the prior day. I don't think 20 will be sufficient.
Yeah... and it also might explain why the problem only occurred after 2 months. Because I wore it only a couple of hours a day after this initial winding (like 4 hours) and I did not wind it in those 2 months.

Only after getting back from a holiday I wound it 40 turns. So then the spring probably had more power reserve and it started "knocking" at the end of the oscillation....

Well.. I am still a bit disappointed by this... don't they check for amplitude when the watch leaves the factory? It is the least they could do, especially since it is so easily measured and could easily be done routinely...

I will observe this for at least a year before I buy any other Rolex. If the problem reoccurs I will demand a totally new movement to be installed! A brand new watch should run with zero problems... especially at this price...
Old 14 August 2016, 10:59 AM   #9
michigan.watches
"TRF" Member

All Rolex movements are independently tested and certified by the COSC. Rolex also has their own internal quality controls. Defects are unusual but not impossible. I've never seen a "lemon" though. Once they perform the warranty service, I don't think you will have any more problems.

It's annoying but don't let this sour your purchase. If you sent your watch in through the AD you purchased it from, you might be able to talk them into giving you a "loaner" until your watch returns from service.

Quote:
Yeah... and it also might explain why the problem only occurred after 2 months. Because I wore it only a couple of hours a day after this initial winding (like 4 hours) and I did not wind it in those 2 months.

Only after getting back from a holiday I wound it 40 turns. So then the spring probably had more power reserve and it started "knocking" at the end of the oscillation....

Well.. I am still a bit disappointed by this... don't they check for amplitude when the watch leaves the factory? It is the least they could do, especially since it is so easily measured and could easily be done routinely...

I will observe this for at least a year before I buy any other Rolex. If the problem reoccurs I will demand a totally new movement to be installed! A brand new watch should run with zero problems... especially at this price...
michigan.watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2016, 01:42 AM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
330 degrees is too high, it should ideally be under 300, dial up fully wound.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 06:45 AM   #11
Chubbador
"TRF" Member

Yeah rolexamatuer I agree, it's not what you expect having bought a brand new watch. Understandable there may be the occasional issue but to have to immediately send it away for weeks is disappointing, they should really offer a factory replacement through a dealer I suppose. That said, I found the RSC in Kent, U.K. to be excellent, spoke to them a couple of times over the phone, they diagnosed the problem quickly, and I think mine came back in about 3 weeks. That was around January and it's been -3s per day ever since, which I am totally content with.

Hang in there, it will come back perfect I'm sure and despite grumbling about it at the time it wouldn't put me off buying another.
Chubbador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 09:54 AM   #12
rolexamateur
"TRF" Member

Ok. Just a quick update... the Rolex GMT II came back after 2 months. And it is now exactly 3-4 seconds fast per day. Which is ok. But still not within the -2/+2 promise of Rolex.

It has been like this for months, so no further problems...
Old 20 May 2017, 08:34 AM   #13
Glyph
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red Sub
I have a 3 year old BLNR which I bought used 2 years and 2 months ago. I'm sorry you are experiencing such poor performance. It has been my experience that my watch runs within COSC Spec. I would suggest that you take your BLNR back to an AD and let them put it on a timing device. Let them advise you on a solution that is agreeable to you. I agree that if you bought the piece with the Rolex Green Tag that anything less than -2/+2 is disappointing at the least. Best of luck with your resolution.
Glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 08:53 AM   #14
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Ok. Just a quick update... the Rolex GMT II came back after 2 months. And it is now exactly 3-4 seconds fast per day. Which is ok. But still not within the -2/+2 promise of Rolex.

It has been like this for months, so no further problems...
That's a simple regulation service. Shouldn't take more than 15min.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote