The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 April 2020, 09:54 AM   #1
sfscott
"TRF" Member

Please explain Zenith Daytonas to me

I have a Zenith Daytona and was thinking about making it part of a trade to purchase a white gold/blue face Daytona.

In doing a bit of research and reading stuff here, it seems that SS Zenith Daytonas are quite in demand and punch above their weight in the secondary market. Considering I picked mine up for about $5,000 ca. 2001, I am not complaining.

My question is that why, with a movement that is less complicated and has less power reserve than a modern 116250, why the demand?

Also, mine has never been serviced, and it's probably time. But many have said to be sure NOT to let the service center polish it. Again, things are personal preference but why???
sfscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 10:01 AM   #2
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
I think it just has to do with the collectibility of them having a different movement. That said if you can get a premium and want to move it for something that will get more wrist time then it’s a win win all around. Look forward to seeing some new pics of you get your new piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 10:04 AM   #3
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Comparatively Limited production.

Unique dial layout that is preferred by some.

Imho Power reserve has limited value for watches with auto movement and no date complication.

I am a fan and would not trade.
Old 25 April 2020, 10:07 AM   #4
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Hell of a first post; if it doesn't mean anything then move on to what you want. Sell it at an appropriate price.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 10:17 AM   #5
sfscott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Hell of a first post; if it doesn't mean anything then move on to what you want. Sell it at an appropriate price.

Not sure that i will. When inquiring about the WG one, I did not know that I had a Zenith and do appreciate its collectibility. I was surprised by the opening offer from the dealer in the trade, so made me do a little homework and learn more about the market.

Was only looking at the WG Daytona since I would like to have a big watch made out of precious metal (my PP does not qualify) AND get a blue face watch. I miss my blue face Datejust and have no hope of finding a Sky Dweller with a blue face-- at a fair price in this lifetime.
sfscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 10:37 AM   #6
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
If you had no idea of its considerable value now, my guess is you don’t need the cash from selling it to buy the WG blue dial Daytona. Add the blue face but don’t let this go.

Old 25 April 2020, 10:43 AM   #7
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I would keep both especially the fact you are the original owner of your Zenith.
Old 25 April 2020, 10:51 AM   #8
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Keep the Zenith and add the WG blue dial if at all possible. I love that blue dial but would never sell a Zenith Daytona if I was the original owner with all of the goodies/story/etc
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 10:57 AM   #9
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
The Zenith Daytona is a part of Rolex history.

In years to come you will regret parting with it.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 11:02 AM   #10
1665fan
"TRF" Member

It’s a classic and legend In the history of Rolex. Let’s see some pics of yours
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 11:17 AM   #11
Ksporty
"TRF" Member

I think you should seriously consider keeping that Zenith Daytona for a while longer, despite the itch that a beautiful WG, blue dial Daytona represents. This includes a thorough review of lots of lots of posts here over many years relative to the Zenith Daytona - this will help give you the proper vibe, and may give you a different perspective on what you have. The research you’ve done already and this post is a good start, but I'd dig a lot deeper. After that, if you still want to make the move, go for it.
Ksporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 11:25 AM   #12
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
All hype, thats it. Some above say limited production, which is nonsense. The Zenith movements had a very long run. Its a tad less blingy, though which is a plus. The newer in-house movement is better and the ability to hack the movement was a large benefit when I had mine (I owned a two-tone Zenith version and the 116520).

That said, I would keep your watch. In my opinion, gold has no business on a tool watch. Looks great on a Cellini, PP, or ALS though. Plus, you have lived a good deal of life with it, thats what its about. Just because you can do something, does not mean you should.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 11:37 AM   #13
MAINEZX10
"TRF" Member

I would NOT sell your Daytona. You have a highly collectible watch. You WILL regret selling this watch, if you do. If anything, I would just buy the watch you are looking at, if your finances allow you to. Many members here wish they had a Zenith Daytona, especially myself.
MAINEZX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 11:39 AM   #14
MAINEZX10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
it’s a classic and legend in the history of rolex. Let’s see some pics of yours
+1!!!!
MAINEZX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 11:41 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Zenith movements are nothin'..

You should have bought the previous version with the Valjoux movement, now those are crazy........ and you have to wind them!!
Old 25 April 2020, 01:14 PM   #16
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
I have a Zenith Daytona and was thinking about making it part of a trade to purchase a white gold/blue face Daytona.

In doing a bit of research and reading stuff here, it seems that SS Zenith Daytonas are quite in demand and punch above their weight in the secondary market. Considering I picked mine up for about $5,000 ca. 2001, I am not complaining.

My question is that why, with a movement that is less complicated and has less power reserve than a modern 116250, why the demand?

Also, mine has never been serviced, and it's probably time. But many have said to be sure NOT to let the service center polish it. Again, things are personal preference but why???
Is your Zenith Daytona an A or P serial? Zenith is special.

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 03:01 PM   #17
spoon-turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Zenith Daytona has balanced subdials perfectly aligned at the 3 and 9 o clock.

The new ones are closer up with the 2 and 10 o clock
spoon-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 03:06 PM   #18
SearChart
TechXpert

Zenith Daytona is also more expensive to service, just so you know. Starts at €1000.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 05:50 PM   #19
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Zenith movements are nothin'..

You should have bought the previous version with the Valjoux movement, now those are crazy........ and you have to wind them!!
Old 25 April 2020, 05:59 PM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post

Well first lets get things straight Rolex had never made a chronograph movement prior till early 2000 they used ones mainly from ETA Valjoux like the 72 series movement but they were manual wind only.But most buyers wanted a automatic so Rolex made a deal with Zenith to supply ebache Elprimo movements to Rolex.And IMHO the Zenith powered ones in today world will perhaps have a slight premium price over the cal 4130 in-house powered Daytona but its mainly the SS versions only.Although the Zenith range were made in smaller numbers from 1989 till late 1999 possible into 2000 with the modded Zenith into the Rolex cal 4030, they are most certainly not a true rare Rolex watch and only worth what someone will pay.On the cal 4030 Zenith powered Daytona the sub second sub dial will always be at the 9 o'clock position,on the in-house cal 4130 its at the 6 o'clock position.

IMHO the main reason for the in-house was basically when Zenith would not or could not supply enough base Elprimo ebauche movements to Rolex for the increased sales.Rolex had to design and make their own first ever chrono movement the cal 4130.Now Rolex modded the Elprimo movement by slowing it down from its normal 36000 BPH to 28800 BPH, by fitting the Rolex balance bridge escapement and Brequet overcoil and micro adjusting screws,some say the Elprimo movement was degraded,but this was done IMHO to keep service time to the normal 5 year range like the rest of the Rolex range.Now when Zenith made the Elprimo they developed a special oil to be used when serviced the Hi beat movement,but many watchmakers did not use this oil and did not service them correctly and Zenith 4030 has more moving parts and more costly to service over the Rolex cal 4130.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 08:54 PM   #21
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I would love to see your original Zenith too, I’m sure we all would ! Post a pic or two. And welcome to TRF.
Old 26 April 2020, 12:22 AM   #22
Pongster
"TRF" Member

It didnt matter to you before, anyhow? Was even thinking of disposing it, right?

Anyway, if you wish to retain it for collecting’s sake, your prerogative.

Just to entice you.

The blue daytona is great to look at and much greater to wear.

Good luck.

Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 05:57 AM   #23
jjfesq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618 LB smurf
For a brief period of time I had a two-tone Zenith with the champagne face. I paid $5600 On 47th St., New York City. It was a beautiful watch but that movement is very finicky and difficult to service. A month and a half later I returned it because I made the mistake of playing with the chronograph functions. This set off a chain reaction in that movement that kept it from keeping any kind of time. I did give the 47th St. people a chance to service the movement. Let’s just say at the end of things they took the watch back no questions asked.

jjfesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 07:10 AM   #24
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
All hype, thats it. Some above say limited production, which is nonsense. The Zenith movements had a very long run. Its a tad less blingy, though which is a plus. The newer in-house movement is better and the ability to hack the movement was a large benefit when I had mine (I owned a two-tone Zenith version and the 116520).

That said, I would keep your watch. In my opinion, gold has no business on a tool watch. Looks great on a Cellini, PP, or ALS though. Plus, you have lived a good deal of life with it, thats what its about. Just because you can do something, does not mean you should.
Spot on. Sometimes the best thing to do is just do nothing. If you can swing the new Daytona, get it, but don't let the old one go and have it become a regret in hindsight.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 08:34 PM   #25
lovegmt73
"TRF" Member

I think that Zenith subdials are nicer

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
lovegmt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 08:57 PM   #26
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Before you decide anything or do anything you should first determine exactly which version you have. Is it 4 line dial, is it porcelain dial, inverted 6, patrazzi etc. Prices have a correspondingly wide range according to which model and of course condition. You can have an 20K watch or you can have an 80K watch.

If you are relying on just your Dealer's valuation you may be making a huge mistake.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 09:00 PM   #27
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
i would not part away with zenith daytona due to collectibility
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 10:15 PM   #28
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Let’s see a pic!!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 10:27 PM   #29
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwang0520 View Post
i would not part away with zenith daytona due to collectibility
Probably good advice. I was always envious of a friend of mine who had the foresight to collect vintage Daytona’s. However, as I get older, vintage and collectability mean very little to me having been replaced solely by what I like.
Old 26 April 2020, 10:29 PM   #30
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Yea would keep the zenith Daytona for sure - as many have said its history of the brand. If you really want the blue face go with the DJ41 it means aren’t available for the WG Daytona
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote