The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 March 2020, 05:31 AM   #31
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
After researching, I decided Hulu Live would meet about 95% of my needs. Then I found out that neither my five year-old LG 4K SmartTV or my two year-old Sony Bravia SmartTV will support Hulu Live. For ease of operation for the less tech-savvy person in my family, I don't want to have to stream everything through a smart phone to the TV via Chromecast, so unless you all have a workable suggestion, I'd need to buy new TVs to get the streaming services I want.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 05:37 AM   #32
Brew
"TRF" Member

No tv for about 15 yrs. Don't miss it.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 05:42 AM   #33
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
After researching, I decided Hulu Live would meet about 95% of my needs. Then I found out that neither my five year-old LG 4K SmartTV or my two year-old Sony Bravia SmartTV will support Hulu Live. For ease of operation for the less tech-savvy person in my family, I don't want to have to stream everything through a smart phone to the TV via Chromecast, so unless you all have a workable suggestion, I'd need to buy new TVs to get the streaming services I want.
Can't you just buy a roku stick for $30 (or whatever it is these days) and stream Hulu live that way? Or an Apple TV?

Not sure why you would need new TVs.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 05:44 AM   #34
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Do you have Amazon prime? If you do or even if you don't you can get the Fire stick and plug it into your HDMI port and run pretty much anything through that, I believe.

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Stick...s%2C207&sr=8-2

This enables you to have an interface on your TV to go to most streaming services including PRIME for free,( if you already use Amazon Prime) and Hulu, HBO, Netflix etc etc.

Then you have to subscribe to those streaming services that you choose.

I believe Roku, Apple TV etc all allow the same gateway. Even older TVs have the HDMI port.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 05:51 AM   #35
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
I cut it several years ago.

No regrets.
Old 26 March 2020, 06:09 AM   #36
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Can't you just buy a roku stick for $30 (or whatever it is these days) and stream Hulu live that way? Or an Apple TV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
... you can get the Fire stick and plug it into your HDMI port and run pretty much anything through that, I believe.

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Stick...s%2C207&sr=8-2

This enables you to have an interface on your TV to go to most streaming services including PRIME for free,( if you already use Amazon Prime) and Hulu, HBO, Netflix etc etc.

Then you have to subscribe to those streaming services that you choose.

I believe Roku, Apple TV etc all allow the same gateway. Even older TVs have the HDMI port.
My question is whethert these devices are like Chromecast where you have to stream content from another smart device like a phone or iPad into the Chromecast, then into the TV, or if they are direct streaming devices sending content to the TV?
Old 26 March 2020, 06:09 AM   #37
ReMember
"TRF" Member

Cut the cord in 2016 and been streaming ever since. I’m surprised no one has mentioned streamer box. Paid for the box and no monthly subscription fee. I get to watch free new movies, free PPV, “all” NFL, NBA, MLB, etc games for free, OTA TV shows without commercial interruptions, SHO, Amazon, HBO, etc. AND local TV channels from every state. Initial cost was $188 for the box, shipped.
ReMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 06:10 AM   #38
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
I live too far out in the backwoods to get any antenna TV. What internet speeds are you all using? My choices here are 50MB, 100MB or 1GB, prices ranging from $45 to $125 per month.
I have 75/75MB and never have connection issues with a family of 3 including a 9 year old that plays a lot of XBox and Switch.
Old 26 March 2020, 06:11 AM   #39
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

The Fire Stick looks like it connects directly to the internet. That would solve my issue.
Old 26 March 2020, 06:16 AM   #40
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The Fire Stick looks like it connects directly to the internet. That would solve my issue.
I guess one thing to remember on these things compared to cable is that every TV in the house needs its own separate one.

An interesting thing though is that when I used the Fire stick in Hawaii it knew which episodes on each streaming service I was at from when I watched them at home. So the account you have with the streaming services must know exactly where you are with each show you watch. So if you had 2 Fire sticks at home on 2 TVs you just have to set them up and it would know from TV to TV where you are with each episode.
Old 26 March 2020, 06:20 AM   #41
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
My question is whethert these devices are like Chromecast where you have to stream content from another smart device like a phone or iPad into the Chromecast, then into the TV, or if they are direct streaming devices sending content to the TV?
No. You switch to the hdmi input where it’s plugged in and they have their own UI.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 06:25 AM   #42
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
No tv for about 15 yrs. Don't miss it.
30 here. Don't miss it either. But I do buy too many books.
Old 26 March 2020, 06:26 AM   #43
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Tree Killer !!!!

But at least your brain hasn't been destroyed by mindless TV noise.
Old 26 March 2020, 06:28 AM   #44
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
If you use a Kindle, it's easier to lose track.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 06:29 AM   #45
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

The Roku devices appear to solve my issues and allow me to use a wired ethernet cable into each TV. Thanks for the input!!!
Old 26 March 2020, 06:39 AM   #46
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
The Roku devices appear to solve my issues and allow me to use a wired ethernet cable into each TV. Thanks for the input!!!
I think Roku makes the best device IMO.
Old 26 March 2020, 06:40 AM   #47
SearChart
TechXpert

Haven't watched cable TV in ages, never will again.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 06:50 AM   #48
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelious View Post
I think Roku makes the best device IMO.
You may be right.

Fire stick allows for direct ethernet as well. My main TV is ethernet connected.
Old 26 March 2020, 06:53 AM   #49
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

What’s the deal with a streamer box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 06:58 AM   #50
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Early cord cutter here. I can proudly say that I have successfully converted from a monthly cable bill of $89 to a monthly streaming bill of about $300. I've been shopping lately, too, and I think I can get it to $500/month with very little effort.

Okay, slight exaggeration but the larger point still stands. And I still very much prefer the current arrangement. That said, there is one thing I miss; I was a customer of Cox Cable. Purposefully mis-spelling their company name on my monthly check was the most rewarding juvenile thing (of many) I did with my money.
Cloudchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 07:00 AM   #51
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
What’s the deal with a streamer box?

My buddy paid $300 for his a few years ago. No monthly fee. He can watch pretty much any TV station in the country. Sports, news you name it. He gets his movies from a Firestick.
Old 26 March 2020, 07:05 AM   #52
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudchaser View Post
Early cord cutter here. I can proudly say that I have successfully converted from a monthly cable bill of $89 to a monthly streaming bill of about $300. I've been shopping lately, too, and I think I can get it to $500/month with very little effort.

Okay, slight exaggeration but the larger point still stands. And I still very much prefer the current arrangement. That said, there is one thing I miss; I was a customer of Cox Cable. Purposefully mis-spelling their company name on my monthly check was the most rewarding juvenile thing (of many) I did with my money.
You can get the full cable experience back if you want.

Just kill the power to your house when you're in the middle of a good show or sporting event and re-live the beauty of cable.

And you can even call a random number and put yourself on hold for half an hour to fully enjoy the experience.

Congratulations on your evolution to the magic of streaming, all you need now is a pay-per view account to jack that bill up to a grand a month.
Old 26 March 2020, 07:18 AM   #53
Romeojk

Watch: Submariner 114060
I have 2 Roku Ultra devices, it has a good basic remote.

My internet it 100MB and I use wireless all the time. I set up a 2nd WiFi router in my garage/office, connected via Ethernet, named them the same so there’s no disruption moving between them.

Saved $180 from my cable bill by reducing, not cancelling, to internet and basic channels. Bill is now $95

I originally got Firesticks but returned them, they did not have the Xfinity app, which I needed to watch local channels for pro football or my favorite weather man.

I have Amazon Prime w/HBO and Showtime. I have Netflix and basic Hulu too.

I have 2 Smart TVs but I hated the remote interface and bought the Roku boxes after just 1 day without them.
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 07:27 AM   #54
DJ39
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT
Cut it, sliced it diced it, cooked it and threw it away. Netflix rules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJ39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 07:34 AM   #55
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Quote:
You can get the full cable experience back if you want.

Just kill the power to your house when you're in the middle of a good show or sporting event and re-live the beauty of cable.

And you can even call a random number and put yourself on hold for half an hour to fully enjoy the experience.

Congratulations on your evolution to the magic of streaming, all you need now is a pay-per view account to jack that bill up to a grand a month.
Ah...if we're counting PPV, my son's near-weekly UFC buys probably already have me at $500. And now we're completely desensitized as a family; I'd have never guessed that my wife would accept this type of wanton TV spending, or that she'd turn into a fan of a bloodsport for that matter. The magic of streaming knows no bounds.
Cloudchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 07:43 AM   #56
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Does anyone one still watch cable? It was bad when we cut the cord over 10 years ago, it's completely unwatchable now.

I used to try sometimes in hotels and even gave that up years ago. I just can't understand how anyone manages to watch it. There are so many adverts I couldn't remember what I was watching, then the shows started those "coming up next" and "what you just saw was....." bits because they knew the ad breaks were so long the flow of the programming was lost.

I remember when we bought cable so we didn't have to watch adverts.....then they snuck the ads back in, and then put every channel anyone wanted to watch on a separate package so we ended up paying 5 times as much to watch their adverts.

Cable's days are over, I'm sure it wont be missed.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 07:46 AM   #57
swils8610

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
My buddy paid $300 for his a few years ago. No monthly fee. He can watch pretty much any TV station in the country. Sports, news you name it. He gets his movies from a Firestick.

Local channels are my hang up...I may get an Antenna for that. Any services or other ways to get the locals?

swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 07:48 AM   #58
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post

I remember when we bought cable so we didn't have to watch adverts.....then they snuck the ads back in, and then put every channel anyone wanted to watch on a separate package so we ended up paying 5 times as much to watch their adverts.

One has to wonder when ads start appearing in streaming.

I can't imagine these commercials will go quietly into that good night. Too many eyes on too many screens.

Remember when movie theaters didn't have commercials, just previews.
Old 26 March 2020, 07:51 AM   #59
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeojk View Post
I have 2 Roku Ultra devices, it has a good basic remote.

My internet it 100MB and I use wireless all the time. I set up a 2nd WiFi router in my garage/office, connected via Ethernet, named them the same so there’s no disruption moving between them.

Saved $180 from my cable bill by reducing, not cancelling, to internet and basic channels. Bill is now $95

I originally got Firesticks but returned them, they did not have the Xfinity app, which I needed to watch local channels for pro football or my favorite weather man.

I have Amazon Prime w/HBO and Showtime. I have Netflix and basic Hulu too.

I have 2 Smart TVs but I hated the remote interface and bought the Roku boxes after just 1 day without them.
I think the Fire stick has the Xfinity app these days.

https://www.lifepyar.com/how-to-inst...k-and-fire-tv/
Old 26 March 2020, 08:02 AM   #60
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
One has to wonder when ads start appearing in streaming.

I can't imagine these commercials will go quietly into that good night. Too many eyes on too many screens.

Remember when movie theaters didn't have commercials, just previews.
I'm sure it'll happen. Even YouTube managed to squeeze them in.

Streaming services didn't exist when we cut the cable, it was torrent downloads, and I still do it now. The only down side is you need to find new shows to download, but friends are always recommending something.

Some uploaders are even putting adverts in their downloads, but because they can be traced, they're flagged and removed pretty quickly.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote