The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 August 2020, 11:51 PM   #151
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’m Done With Cable TV. Have You Cut The Cord?

A static IP addy block will shift some technical responsibility to you Joey.

In order to use your static IP addresses you will need to contact the ISP to have new equipment additions behind your router configuration.

Hulu Rep might have been a Tier 1 rep and didn’t tell you the whole story. The DHCP block they allocate to your nearest POP could have several “cities” coded to it. An IP assignment change for you might change apparent location slightly but not enough to trigger Hulu’s fraud software.

They know your account data hadn’t changed, but to Hulu servers it might look like someone has hijacked your device, or your user credentials.

Hulu (and others) try to enforce their T&C’s about ID sharing using IP addy as a first line of defense via geo-fencing.

Out of curiosity- how much did the ISP quote for static IPs? Used to be $15/month for a block of 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 12:55 AM   #152
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

Out of curiosity- how much did the ISP quote for static IPs? Used to be $15/month for a block of 8.

My ISP wants $80 a year for a static IP plus $20 more per months for a business account, so $320 a year more total.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:03 AM   #153
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I'm 48 years old. Never had cable. 437 channels and nothing on. I do have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Crackle, etc...the streaming options are endless. Also have a decent sized collection of DVD's and Blu-Ray's
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 04:33 AM   #154
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
My ISP wants $80 a year for a static IP plus $20 more per months for a business account, so $320 a year more total.

Maybe the rep was misinformed - static IP’s are usually available in small blocks for residential accounts.

The $80/yr. is great price if for an octet but the biz acct gating is poor policy.

Now that you’ve solved the issue, maybe just save the money and are now wiser for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 04:17 AM   #155
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
I moved to YouTube TV a while back and kept my FiosTV for a few months just to be sure. Completely content with the YouTube TV channel lineup, features, etc... Definitely a good deal and IMO higher quality visuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 01:10 AM   #156
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Question for YouTube TV subscribers: do you have any problems with home address changes disrupting your service due to IP address changes? During a thunderstorm today, we had two very nearby lightning strikes, each of which caused my router to reboot and change my IP address, thereby making Hulu think I’ve moved. After four address changes, your Hulu service at home is cut.

I called customer service, and a very helpful agent reset my address-change counter back to four. But this is getting annoying, and I’m not paying over $300 a year to my ISP for a static IP address and business account.

Any troubles with YouTube TV?
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 03:03 AM   #157
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have been cable free for a long time (since around 2006 or 2007, can't remember). There was a period where I didn't watch TV at all, then Netflix came out.

The newly released HBO MAX will no longer work on my Apple TV Device, unless I upgrade the device itself. Showtime works on my Apple TV device, but I cannot stream it from other devices because I subscribed through my Apple TV device.

For the first time I'm seeing a problem.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote