The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 5 June 2020, 02:14 PM   #31
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
This thread needs pictures...

I would, but I refuse to pay for photo bucket and have yet to join another photo hosting site.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 12:22 AM   #32
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
The one thing I hate about my Indys are how the tongue travels. There's a fix but I do hate how they didn't stitch the tongue.

Mine don’t travel but I do know some people have this happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 01:08 AM   #33
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whattimeyougot View Post
Mine don’t travel but I do know some people have this happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's the nature of the way they didn't stich the tongue. It may not happen for all but it has the tendency to happen because of the way they were made. As I said I could get it addressed but don't wear them that much that it's something I am moved to do.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 6 June 2020, 08:10 PM   #34
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
AE is having a Father’s Day sale. That’s the best time to purchase AE. Nice savings off MSRP. Unfortunately, they don’t have my size 13 in boots I like in dark brown. I’m just waiting for NYC retail to open, so I could go to the Thursday Boots store.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 01:10 AM   #35
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
I would, but I refuse to pay for photo bucket and have yet to join another photo hosting site.
Can we not upload pictures from our phones using Tapatalk anymore? I haven’t tried in a long time.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 05:57 AM   #36
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Can we not upload pictures from our phones using Tapatalk anymore? I haven’t tried in a long time.
I have no idea, I guess I'm old I've yet to use that app.

Besides I don't typically connect to the internet via my phone. Usually it's a laptop or iPad. I guess I might be able to use Taptalk on the Ipad but I haven't yet.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 7 June 2020, 06:24 AM   #37
harvey
"TRF" Member

not to hijack this thread but what do you guys think of red wing boots? thinking of getting the 1907s.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 04:27 PM   #38
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
not to hijack this thread but what do you guys think of red wing boots? thinking of getting the 1907s.
Extremely well made boots. Sometimes notorious for a hard break-in period.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 7 June 2020, 10:33 PM   #39
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Check out Rose Anvil on youtube. I wish he did a review of Thursday Boots.
Old 7 June 2020, 10:42 PM   #40
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I have three pairs. Very comfortable, and for me, that they are made in the USA is worth the premium.

Ditto Wolverines, I believe.
Are some made in Mexico?

https://www.wolverine.com/CA/en_CA/m...-boots&start=1
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 12:06 AM   #41
harvey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Extremely well made boots. Sometimes notorious for a hard break-in period.
Thank you Dan.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 12:36 AM   #42
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I looked at Thursday. Ended up with Helm Zinds in Teak. The reality of it is....I liked the white in the sole. And they're local.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 02:24 PM   #43
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
Thank you Dan.
Styleforum when I was purchasing shoes and boots was an excellent resource not only for user recommendations but also for sizing as well. Of course nothing replaces sizing in person. However If I only told you the number of different Lasts I purchased without the ability to do that very thing. Anyway at least for me I didn't stop with the first 10 recommendations but went a bit further in regards to how many actual comments I would read in order to get a better and truer assessment of things. That and looking at other shoemakers as well. They had a thread for the majority of shoemakers out there. The more popular the shoemaker the more comments of course.

Did I say Styleforum was an excellent resource or at least it was when I last looked. Reddit pales in comparison if you ask me. In part it's the nature of the way that forum is structured.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 9 June 2020, 02:57 PM   #44
Phrank

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Styleforum when I was purchasing shoes and boots was an excellent resource not only for user recommendations but also for sizing as well. Of course nothing replaces sizing in person. However If I only told you the number of different Lasts I purchased without the ability to do that very thing. Anyway at least for me I didn't stop with the first 10 recommendations but went a bit further in regards to how many actual comments I would read in order to get a better and truer assessment of things. That and looking at other shoemakers as well. They had a thread for the majority of shoemakers out there. The more popular the shoemaker the more comments of course.

Did I say Styleforum was an excellent resource or at least it was when I last looked. Reddit pales in comparison if you ask me. In part it's the nature of the way that forum is structured.
Styleforum is great, Good Year Welt(GYW) on Reddit is another great source to get into some deep dives on bootmaking.

Me, I'm stuck in my ways, 4 pairs of Viberg, two in Shell, 4 pairs of Alden, two in Shell, and two Allen Edmonds, one Higgins Mill, Chromexcel brown, great pair of boots, still one of my favourites. And an ancient pair of
AE Chukka boots in Shell Colour 8 that have patina'd superbly, they're almost multi-coloured now.

As much as I want to indulge in more boot buying, there's just only so many you can wear....:-)
Phrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 03:29 PM   #45
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Styleforum is great, Good Year Welt(GYW) on Reddit is another great source to get into some deep dives on bootmaking.

Me, I'm stuck in my ways, 4 pairs of Viberg, two in Shell, 4 pairs of Alden, two in Shell, and two Allen Edmonds, one Higgins Mill, Chromexcel brown, great pair of boots, still one of my favourites. And an ancient pair of
AE Chukka boots in Shell Colour 8 that have patina'd superbly, they're almost multi-coloured now.

As much as I want to indulge in more boot buying, there's just only so many you can wear....:-)
And every time I even come close to even thinking about getting another pair I just take a quick look at what I already have.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 9 June 2020, 03:46 PM   #46
Phrank

Watch: ♕
Quote:
And every time I even come close to even thinking about getting another pair I just take a quick look at what I already have.
I just picture my lovely wife standing with her arms crossed, tapping her foot, with a certain look on her face.

Lowering my eyes and not looking directly at her no longer works I've found.
Phrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 08:20 PM   #47
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
I just picture my lovely wife standing with her arms crossed, tapping her foot, with a certain look on her face.

Lowering my eyes and not looking directly at her no longer works I've found.
As far as my wife goes she choses what she buys and I chose what I buy. Actually she's had a look and a part to do with most choices I've made. I get her opinion and for the most part we have agreed. She's my biggest enabler.

I've often said I would make most women jealous with the shoes and boots I own and it's not the Redwings or Wolverines that would do that. LOL

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 9 June 2020, 10:03 PM   #48
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Not to derail the thread, but has anybody had any experience with these?

https://www.taylorstitch.com/product...e-pebble-grain
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 10:13 PM   #49
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Not to derail the thread, but has anybody had any experience with these?

https://www.taylorstitch.com/product...e-pebble-grain
Not I and it looks like at least one I looked at was made in Mexico. Personally for me there are just too many other options of which I know are good to even consider something like this.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 8 August 2020, 12:14 AM   #50
Ny325
"TRF" Member

I just received delivery of my Thursday Boots yesterday. I ordered the President in tobacco. I love the color, they seem comfortable when I tried them on. I haven’t walked outside with them. The only problem I have is the ODOR when I took them out the box.The “Off Gassing” odor is so strong. It’s nauseating to say the least. I have them airing outside at the moment. I’m hoping the odor goes away in a few days. Otherwise, I would have to return them. I never smelled something this strong in any foot apparel I purchased. My Allen Edmonds had no odor. I contacted Thursday boot, and notified them of this issue.
Old 8 August 2020, 12:22 AM   #51
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny325 View Post
I just received delivery of my Thursday Boots yesterday. I ordered the President in tobacco. I love the color, they seem comfortable when I tried them on. I haven’t walked outside with them. The only problem I have is the ODOR when I took them out the box.The “Off Gassing” odor is so strong. It’s nauseating to say the least. I have them airing outside at the moment. I’m hoping the odor goes away in a few days. Otherwise, I would have to return them. I never smelled something this strong in any foot apparel I purchased. My Allen Edmonds had no odor. I contacted Thursday boot, and notified them of this issue.
Sorry to hear that. Of all the good quality footwear I've owned I've never experienced that kind of issue. Sounds strange to me.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 8 August 2020, 12:27 AM   #52
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Of all the good quality footwear I've owned I've never experienced that kind of issue. Sounds strange to me.
Believe me, the odor is horrible. Not sure if it’s the leather, or what. I hope this is not a sign of cheap quality boots. I read many reviews before making this purchase, and I don’t recall one talk about the odor.
Old 8 August 2020, 12:43 AM   #53
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Believe me, the odor is horrible. Not sure if it’s the leather, or what. I hope this is not a sign of cheap quality boots. I read many reviews before making this purchase, and I don’t recall one talk about the odor.

I'd call them and see what they would be willing to do to address the issue. Anybody is capable of making a mistake it's what they do in order to correct it that tells you more about what kind of company they really are.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 8 August 2020, 12:51 AM   #54
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Yes, I emailed them this morning. I’m hoping the off gassing goes away, after airing them out a couple of days. Thank you.
Old 8 August 2020, 01:01 AM   #55
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, I emailed them this morning. I’m hoping the off gassing goes away, after airing them out a couple of days. Thank you.
Possible, and hopefully it will. Personally I have no problem calling when something doesn't meet my expectations and because some things which aren't may never be. I pay for a service or product and I expect to get what I paid for.

Besides what happens when you wear these and you get a bit of perspiration in them? Do they still have some of that odor in them? I use shoe trees but are these boots always going to have that odor no matter what you do??

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 8 August 2020, 02:27 AM   #56
swils8610

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Don't forget Wolverine 1000 mile... I have a pair and they are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 03:48 AM   #57
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Possible, and hopefully it will. Personally I have no problem calling when something doesn't meet my expectations and because some things which aren't may never be. I pay for a service or product and I expect to get what I paid for.

Besides what happens when you wear these and you get a bit of perspiration in them? Do they still have some of that odor in them? I use shoe trees but are these boots always going to have that odor no matter what you do??
I’m still waiting for a response. The boots have been outside since this morning. When I get close, they still have that nauseating odor. Is only been one full day they been outside. Hopefully the odor goes away. I won’t bring them in the house.
Old 8 August 2020, 07:45 AM   #58
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I’m still waiting for a response. The boots have been outside since this morning. When I get close, they still have that nauseating odor. Is only been one full day they been outside. Hopefully the odor goes away. I won’t bring them in the house.
The only odor that a new pair of quality boots should have is the intoxicating smell of finely tanned leather that makes you think of sinking into a comfy leather club chair with a glass of your favorite bourbon.

I distinctly remember inhaling the aromas of my new AE, Crockett and Jones and EG boots. No nausea.

Send them back.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 09:22 AM   #59
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
The only odor that a new pair of quality boots should have is the intoxicating smell of finely tanned leather that makes you think of sinking into a comfy leather club chair with a glass of your favorite bourbon.

I distinctly remember inhaling the aromas of my new AE, Crockett and Jones and EG boots. No nausea.

Send them back.
I’m going to keep them outside over the weekend. If that nauseating odor is still there, I’m going to return them. I emailed Thursday Boots. Waiting for a response.

Could be the leather. However, I personally never smelled it that strong.
Old 8 August 2020, 02:35 PM   #60
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post

Send them back.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons