The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 June 2006, 07:11 AM   #1
REXMTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date - PAM673
Hello all....

New member and I must say I do enjoy reading everyones opinions here!

My big day was May 21st, 2000 when I was finally able to go purchase my 1st ss submariner date (A-series). I had saved up for some time (being a recent graduate) and I will never forget that day for the rest of my life!
I've always had a passion for watches... an expensive "hobby" I inherited from my father and the sub is for me the quintessential gentleman’s sport watch.

Anyway, I look forward to corresponding with all of you!
REXMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2006, 08:13 AM   #2
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Hi REX. Welcome to TRF Glad you found us and hope you stick around. We have alot of fun here and our members are quite knowledgeable.

I have the same watch. A series also. Bought on Sept 5 2000. Mine has solid end links(SELs). Does yours? Wait till JJ reads your post. He will love you right from the get go.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2006, 01:19 PM   #3
REXMTL
"TRF" Member

Hello Mailman and thanx for the kind welcome.
It's so strange that you should ask that question "Mine has solid end links(SELs). Does yours?"
To first answer your query, no it doesn't and it's been bugging me since I purchased the watch. Before buying it, I had been educating myself about the sub and it's history. There was a "buzz" going around about the SEL's finally being applied to the Stainless sub model. When I asked the authorized dealers around here they had no idea what I was talking about (which is sad, frankly). Sure enough, the subs began to roll out with this beautiful bracelet.
Anyways, I purchased the watch and I've been smiling ever since.
I do have a two-part question however;
Can I purchase the SEL bracelet separately and can it be attached to my A-series sub? I'm unsure if the lugs are somehow different (??)
Also, is it worth doing....? I've been agonizing over that question for some time.
Again, thanks for the welcome
Old 29 June 2006, 02:39 PM   #4
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Welcome to TRF REX stay around and join in the fun.

I wouldn't worry about changing the bracelet on your watch 99% of people would not notice the end links and it wouldn't be original any more.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2006, 04:31 PM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Rex,

A BIG welcome to TRF and congrats on the Quintessential and ULTIMATE Rolex. You just can't beat a Sub!!

Here's mine....

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2006, 06:48 PM   #6
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by REXMTL View Post
Can I purchase the SEL bracelet separately and can it be attached to my A-series sub? I'm unsure if the lugs are somehow different (??)
Also, is it worth doing....? I've been agonizing over that question for some time.
Again, thanks for the welcome
I don't know if you can put a SEL braclet on something that didn't come with one? Hopefully someone else can chime in and answer your question. But like AJ said, 99% of people won't notice it anyway. The braclet itself is rather expensive. I believe it's smoewhere in the neighborhood of $650 US.
Old 29 June 2006, 08:11 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Big welcome to TRF Rex dont worry about the sels its not a big deal.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2006, 11:12 PM   #8
Rockrolex

Watch: What do you think?
Let me add my welcome to TRF, REX. Glad you found your way over to our merry madhouse. You've got the quintessential Rolex there (although whether it is the "Ultimate" Rolex has been a matter of hot debate around here since time immemorial - or at least since JJ got his SS Sub).

Stick around and join in the fun. Once in a while we even get serious, but that doesn't last too long, fortunately.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2006, 12:18 PM   #9
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Welcome to the forum!
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2006, 12:50 PM   #10
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Welcome to TRF.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2006, 01:25 PM   #11
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Welcome aboard, Rex We look forward to hearing more from you
Old 30 June 2006, 10:24 PM   #12
REXMTL
"TRF" Member

Thanx all for the warm welcome....
Nice pic JJ... such a nice watch.. classic and timeless!
I realize that the SEL issue shouldn't be an issue for me but it's just bothered me for some time now. I will investigate further just out of curiousity to see if replacing the bracelet would be do-able ... I'll keep everyone posted with any findings.

Thanks again
Old 1 July 2006, 04:27 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Thanx all for the warm welcome....
Nice pic JJ... such a nice watch.. classic and timeless!
I realize that the SEL issue shouldn't be an issue for me but it's just bothered me for some time now. I will investigate further just out of curiousity to see if replacing the bracelet would be do-able ... I'll keep everyone posted with any findings.

Thanks again
Good luck on the bracelet issue, Rex!!

But be happy in your mind that your piece still runs the immortal 3135 movement which is still current in so many of Rolex's new models!! The BEST there is - go 3135!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 1 July 2006, 07:44 AM   #14
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Good luck on the bracelet issue, Rex!!

But be happy in your mind that your piece still runs the immortal 3135 movement which is still current in so many of Rolex's new models!! The BEST there is - go 3135!!
Ooohhhh JJ. Ed will have something to say about this.
Old 5 July 2006, 05:24 AM   #15
Atomic

I'm guessing that it should be possible to fit SEL endlinks on an A series 16610. Since I doubt they'd redesign the case mid-way through a production run, it makes sense it should fit. Talk to a good AD and see if it can be done. Rolex USA can be anal about changing something on a watch that it wasn't spec'ed with, but a good watchmaker should be able to answer the question for sure. But I'd guess because the endlinks are integrated into the upper part of the bracelet, I'm guessing you'd have to get a completely new bracelet, unless you can find either new old stock or something used (unlikely, given SEL has only been around for six years on the sub).

Good luck.
Old 5 July 2006, 05:37 PM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
I'm guessing that it should be possible to fit SEL endlinks on an A series 16610. Since I doubt they'd redesign the case mid-way through a production run, it makes sense it should fit. Talk to a good AD and see if it can be done. Rolex USA can be anal about changing something on a watch that it wasn't spec'ed with, but a good watchmaker should be able to answer the question for sure. But I'd guess because the endlinks are integrated into the upper part of the bracelet, I'm guessing you'd have to get a completely new bracelet, unless you can find either new old stock or something used (unlikely, given SEL has only been around for six years on the sub).

Good luck.
Good advice, Johnny. I think it should fit....but he will have to buy a new bracelet, unless he gets very lucky with a slightly used one. But where will he find one?

Old 5 July 2006, 10:41 PM   #17
REXMTL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post

Good luck.
Now that you mention it, I wonder if the end links only could be replaced.. As you've said it's an integrated part of the bracelet... hmmm.
The more I think about it, the more I begin to wonder if it wouldn't be best to just leave it alone. Is it bad to change it seeing as how it's not the way it was made ?
In any case, I appreciate the advice. I'll go to an AD asap to look into it.
Old 6 July 2006, 01:31 AM   #18
Atomic

Quote:
Now that you mention it, I wonder if the end links only could be replaced.. As you've said it's an integrated part of the bracelet... hmmm.
The more I think about it, the more I begin to wonder if it wouldn't be best to just leave it alone. Is it bad to change it seeing as how it's not the way it was made ?
In any case, I appreciate the advice. I'll go to an AD asap to look into it.
I don't think the endlinks can be replaced alone because of the way the links are fastened.

I think you have three choices

(1) leave it alone

(2) buy a replacement bracelet (and you could sell the old one to offset the cost)

(3) trade up the watch for a newer one that has SEL