The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 September 2019, 12:03 AM   #1
bitparser
"TRF" Member

Vintage watch advice

Hello all!

I'm a new user here and also new to the world of buying vintage watches or even Rolex watches for that matter. I would like to buy a "proper, luxury" watch as a gift for myself for my upcoming wedding.

I've been browsing the forums for a while and watch sites trying to find the right deal. I've fallen in love with the Datejust because of it's timeless aesthetic, universal recognition and entry-level status. Particularly fond of the blue dials.

I came across a posting for a Rolex 15000 Date blue dial for $2600 (plus service) which seems like a good deal to me but I wanted to get the opinion of more seasoned members from here.

I'm unable to post links yet but the details on chrono24 are:

Movement: Automatic Winding
Movement Details: Oyster Perpetual
Case: Stainless Steel case with Smooth bezel (34mm dia.)
Bracelet: Generic Leather Strap. 7 inches.
Dial: Blue Sticks.
Certified Pre Owned. 100% all parts original. Our watches are carefully revised inside and out by our experienced watchmakers.
Model Number: 15000
Date Setting: Quick Set Date.
Crystal: Plastic
Circa: 1981
Movement Caliber: 3035
Jewels: 27
NO PAPERS.

Pic attached.

My other option is to get the beautiful new Master Collection Moonphase from Longines.

Pic attached.

Please let me know your thoughts or opinions.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20190912-093613.png (174.4 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg L2.909.4.78.3_2.jpg (40.1 KB, 191 views)
bitparser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 02:54 AM   #2
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

Isn't the Longines a 40mm? I'm not saying that size matters but size matters. You MUST try these watches on: not all sizes look great on all people. I met a 6'6" giant yesterday who regularly wears a 34mm 6694 (same size as the Date you are considering), it looks great on him. I know many folks under 6 feet who won't wear anything smaller than 38mm.
Old 13 September 2019, 04:03 AM   #3
bitparser
"TRF" Member

Thanks and that's a really good point. I'm 5'8" and I tried on a Longines Retrograde Chrono 38mm at the AD and it was the perfect size. I wish they made the Moonphase in that size as well but the smallest is only 40mm.

I haven't tried on a Rolex Date at the AD yet so I'll definitely do that before considering the purchase. I have a 6.75" wrist FWIW.
Old 13 September 2019, 05:02 AM   #4
Fitzer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570/16000
I dig the old OP Dates, but they are one of those watches you need to try on in person. You'll never go wrong with a classic old Rolex like that.
Fitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 05:03 AM   #5
bitparser
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input. Will drop by my local AD tonight and see if they have any of the old Dates to try on.
Old 13 September 2019, 05:07 AM   #6
Fitzer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570/16000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitparser View Post
Thanks for the input. Will drop by my local AD tonight and see if they have any of the old Dates to try on.
I wouldn't count on it. If you're in/near a major city, call around for vintage watch dealers to see if they have one. They're good entry level pieces and seem to sell well for these places and I usually see them in stock.
Fitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 05:38 AM   #7
bitparser
"TRF" Member

Gotcha.
Old 13 September 2019, 06:02 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Probably you realize this, abut a ref 15000 is not a DateJust. It's a smaller watch.
Old 13 September 2019, 06:44 AM   #9
bitparser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Probably you realize this, abut a ref 15000 is not a DateJust. It's a smaller watch.
Yes, thanks, I did notice that. Like the other commenters mentioned it's probably best to try it on in person to find out how it looks. I'm just going based off of pics on the internet which is not ideal.
Old 13 September 2019, 07:50 AM   #10
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
A new buyer... first time vintage piece... lemme give you some advice brother:

I don't live there, but there must be dozens and dozens of reputable dealers in NYC. Find a brick and mortar store that has a great reputation with vintage watches, and buy there.

Forget chrono24, eBay and forum buying (sorry TRF), you are not ready to buy there yet. You will thank me after the wedding.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 08:38 AM   #11
bitparser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
A new buyer... first time vintage piece... lemme give you some advice brother:

I don't live there, but there must be dozens and dozens of reputable dealers in NYC. Find a brick and mortar store that has a great reputation with vintage watches, and buy there.

Forget chrono24, eBay and forum buying (sorry TRF), you are not ready to buy there yet. You will thank me after the wedding.
Really appreciate the advice. I will look for local shops around here. I just didn't want to get conned because I've heard about some bad experiences from jewelry stores in NYC's diamond district. I'll keep searching for some reputable sellers here.
Old 15 September 2019, 01:57 AM   #12
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I didn't mean to bum anyone out with the size discussion. As everyone on TRF knows, I wear both 32mm bubblebacks and 55mm aviators, depending on my mood (I have issues!). If you really love a 38mm, be sure to look at the Tudor "Jumbo" 38mm watches. The rarer ones have the turning bezel, and have been selling rather high, but the regular ones with the smooth stainless bezel can sometimes be had for less. It's a vintage, an oversized oyster case, and more Rolex than Longines.