The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 27 May 2014, 04:18 AM   #1
Hank G
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on the 504

Hey Guys

I was just curious on some thoughts on the Panerai 504. I have one, and I like it......but other watches are popping up that I like as well and I'm trying to make a decision if the 504 is worth keeping in the long run. I heard they discontinued it, and I don't want to be the guy that sells it for 9K and then sees it for 16K

Thanks for the advice!!
Hank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2014, 04:38 AM   #2
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
I'm a big fan of Panerai, but I don't see that watch rising to 16.

Right now people can say what they want, but the truth is prices are down, and there is not as much hype regarding the brand. Great for the buyer, though.

Great watch. I really like it.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2014, 09:04 PM   #3
bigstick
"TRF" Member

they have stopped production, there are going to be no more composite watches

it may slowly appreciate in value because of this, especially as it's the only model in 47mm with gold hands.

The two problems are it'll never be worth more then the 339 and at the moment panerai are throwing out models so fast at the moment, it's out stripping demand, until the demand increases further we're not going to see any big price rises in older pieces

it's a great piece, if you can afford to keep it, keep it but don't count on it sky rocketing over the next few years
bigstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2014, 09:19 PM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

you have to wonder why they re-started composites only to stop shortly thereafter. so, that might be an inherent drag on future pricing. and the 504 is not the 339 (in terms of history & special features).

that being said, it's a real looker. first and foremost, i would keep it only if i loved it.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2014, 07:55 AM   #5
Hank G
"TRF" Member

Guys, I appreciate the opinions and facts :)

I think I'm going to keep it, and occasionally wear it...... I did originally buy it because I like it :)
Old 28 May 2014, 11:30 PM   #6
sebastien1975
"TRF" Member

I like mine and see no reason for selling it, especially since Panerai has since stopped all Composite models.
I still see a lot of BNIB 504 unsold online and at ADs, so it does not seem to be a successful model...
sebastien1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2014, 07:30 AM   #7
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank G View Post
... just curious on some thoughts on the Panerai 504. I have one, and I like it......but other watches are popping up that I like as well and I'm trying to make a decision if the 504 is worth keeping in the long run. I heard they discontinued it, and I don't want to be the guy that sells it for 9K and then sees it for 16K...
Hank, 160 posts since 2006 shows you don't wander away from USN all that much...

The 504 is a very nice PAM - the gold, tobacco dial and composite-brown go so well together

I'm glad you like it but your post has more of an investment tone to it and it's rather hard to predict how the 504 will fare in the long run, namely because it's composite and OP hasn't really got the masses sold on it...

I can only think of four PAMs that use OP's "composite" cases (the 339 being the king of the composites). Just like the famous 233 "fang" problem, at least one Composite PAM is know for it's caseback "wearing out"; perhaps that's mostly applicable to an initial run of 339s (solid caseback) and perhaps it was a teething problem that PAM had (just like the "fang") but the fact that even I've heard of it is a statement that your 504 may or may not be investment-worthy... .

Please don't take this the wrong way; I bought my 233 knowing from the start it would depreciate the moment I walked out of the AD (much like a new car) - but I love it and two years down the road, I still love it It's a fantastic PAM and a fantastic watch, but it sure as hell ain't no investment*... !

*I say stick to your amazing inflow of über-custom-folders...

Nice to see you here
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2014, 11:29 AM   #8
Hank G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelller View Post
Hank, 160 posts since 2006 shows you don't wander away from USN all that much...

The 504 is a very nice PAM - the gold, tobacco dial and composite-brown go so well together

I'm glad you like it but your post has more of an investment tone to it and it's rather hard to predict how the 504 will fare in the long run, namely because it's composite and OP hasn't really got the masses sold on it...

I can only think of four PAMs that use OP's "composite" cases (the 339 being the king of the composites). Just like the famous 233 "fang" problem, at least one Composite PAM is know for it's caseback "wearing out"; perhaps that's mostly applicable to an initial run of 339s (solid caseback) and perhaps it was a teething problem that PAM had (just like the "fang") but the fact that even I've heard of it is a statement that your 504 may or may not be investment-worthy... .

Please don't take this the wrong way; I bought my 233 knowing from the start it would depreciate the moment I walked out of the AD (much like a new car) - but I love it and two years down the road, I still love it It's a fantastic PAM and a fantastic watch, but it sure as hell ain't no investment*... !

*I say stick to your amazing inflow of über-custom-folders...

Nice to see you here

Hey Brother :)

Yea..... Caught me red handed. I really like the watch, but I have been on the Vintage Rolex kick and I'm looking for a excuse to keep the 504. Think I'm going to keep it and enjoy it! :)