The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 January 2019, 06:07 AM   #1
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Watch pressure testing: dry vs wet?

Planning on taking a few of my older pieces for pressure testing. I am not going to dive with them, but just for a peace of mind.

So I suppose there are 2 kinds of pressure test, one wet and the other one dry.

Anybody has insight on which one is better? More accurate? Dry "seems" to be a better idea cause the idea of "wet" and "failed pressure test" doesn't go well in my head.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 06:58 AM   #2
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
Planning on taking a few of my older pieces for pressure testing. I am not going to dive with them, but just for a peace of mind.

So I suppose there are 2 kinds of pressure test, one wet and the other one dry.

Anybody has insight on which one is better? More accurate? Dry "seems" to be a better idea cause the idea of "wet" and "failed pressure test" doesn't go well in my head.
One of the standard tests at Rolex AD is actually a vacuum test. Head is submerged in water and air pulled out, so bubbles would come out of the case in case of failure. No water would go inside the case.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 07:03 AM   #3
Burlington
"TRF" Member

When AP tested mine it was with the crowns open. I assumed it hadn’t come into contact with water but am equally curious to learn more about the actual process.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 07:14 AM   #4
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Personally they both are testing for the same goal, water resistance. They will both tell you if it fails or not. That is the only thing to worry about.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 07:20 AM   #5
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
I'm curious, how does the dry test work, and how is this carried out. I had a couple of my watches pressure tested last year, I asked the person about this, and he just said " we use a machine" , and was no more forthcoming,.
DJ 16030 - Buckley dial
DJ 16220
DJ OQ 17013
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 07:21 AM   #6
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Let me put it this way: they will not damage your watch under any circumstance. The idea of the test is to make sure all seals are ok, not to damage the watch. IMHO, either one is perfectly fine.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 09:20 AM   #7
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I own both a dry and wet tester. I use both on my watches annually. The dry tester measures the minute change in crystal seat height under pressure. If there’s a leak, the crystal height won’t change. The wet tester pressurizes the air in a leaky watch and when dunked in water, you can see where the leak is. If there’s no leak, then no bubbles.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 10:29 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
. . .Anybody has insight on which one is better? More accurate? Dry "seems" to be a better idea cause the idea of "wet" and "failed pressure test" doesn't go well in my head.
The watch is put in a chamber with water beneath, and the whole thing pressurized.

If there is any leak in the watch, the watch becomes pressurized; (the inside is filled with pressurized air). You lower the watch into the water and release the pressure in the tank.

As it is lowered into the water, if there is a leak, it bubbles - the air inside is pushing out and so no water will get inside..

The wet method allows you to pressurize the chamber to a "rated depth".
Old 25 January 2019, 11:13 AM   #9
HobokenRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Will RSC test a watch for free or a small fee? I’m going diving in March and would like my Sub tested ahead of time. It’s 5 years old so better safe than sorry.
HobokenRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 01:06 PM   #10
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I know they are supposed to be equivalent, but there have been posts on here who have mentioned their watches have failed dry tests, and passed wet test.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 12:06 AM   #11
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenRolex View Post
Will RSC test a watch for free or a small fee? I’m going diving in March and would like my Sub tested ahead of time. It’s 5 years old so better safe than sorry.
Ain't nothin' free.

As long as the watch has never been opened and you have a submariner or similarly qualified watch, I'd suggest that you'll be fine. But sure, better safe than sorry.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #12
W&D
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Apologies for reviving an old thread but I think I may have been testing my watches in a wet pressure testing device incorrectly?. I pressurised the watch dry in the chamber and then dunked the watch into the water to look for bubbles but didn't release the pressure until AFTER I pulled the watch back out into the dry area. I assumed as water cant be pressurised that the bubbles would show if there was a leak?. Am I wrong on this?
W&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM   #13
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W&D View Post
Apologies for reviving an old thread but I think I may have been testing my watches in a wet pressure testing device incorrectly?. I pressurised the watch dry in the chamber and then dunked the watch into the water to look for bubbles but didn't release the pressure until AFTER I pulled the watch back out into the dry area. I assumed as water cant be pressurised that the bubbles would show if there was a leak?. Am I wrong on this?
Yes.

The water is at the same pressure as the pressurised air in the cylinder.
Under your test procedure, if the seals are faulty, it is possible that water will enter the watch as the internal/external pressure continues to equalise.

Do not do this anymore.

I have converted my wet tester to a dry tester using a crystal deflection method.

No chance of water issues.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:08 AM   #14
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by W&D View Post
The water will not compress, true, but the pressure in the case will still be the basis against which the watch internal pressure reacts. If you do not release the case pressure, then there will not be a lower pressure point (the above air void) that your potentially positive pressurized watch will "leak" to.