The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 4 January 2015, 12:24 AM   #31
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Lots of great info here thanks guys
Old 4 January 2015, 02:42 AM   #32
blockbuster
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know, or have an educated guess at, how many 5070P were made?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
blockbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2015, 04:02 AM   #33
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockbuster View Post
Does anyone know, or have an educated guess at, how many 5070P were made?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Yes it is estimated that 200 or so we're made.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2015, 04:56 AM   #34
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Yes it is estimated that 200 or so we're made.
I think it is a bit Less Ken

They made indeed about 250 per year per color

1998 till 2002, 250 per year in yellow gold ( 4 years so about 1000 pce)
2002 till 2006, 250 per year in white gold ( 4 years so about 1000 pce)
2004 till 2008, 250 per year in red gold ( 4 years so about 1000 pce)

Basel 2008 and they introduced the 5070 in platinum, it took some months before the first were delivered and Basel 2009 they told us it was already discontinued.

So yes, it was 1 year in the catalog but I believe they only made it a few months.

Also know that at the same time they made the 5970P. 5970P also had a very shot run …. but since the 5970 had a much higher list price I wouldn't be surprised that Patek made a lot more 5970P than 5070P …. as you know it contains the same base calibre ( Lémania) and I think they preferred to use these last Lémania based movements for the more expensive watches.
If the Lémania stock was low, economically it is better to put it in the more expensive 5970.
I contacted SEVERAL AD back then and most of them did not receive a 5070P. My AD got 1 but at the same time he got 2 5970P … So I'm pretty sure they made more 5970P ( For the reason I said earlier)

So, we don't know how many 5070P they made but if you allow me to make a guess … I think it will be closer to 100 or 150
Old 5 January 2015, 12:31 PM   #35
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Is there a reason the 5070G more available and cheaper than the other golds? I quite like it but only seen in pics.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2015, 08:11 PM   #36
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post

Basel 2008 and they introduced the 5070 in platinum, it took some months before the first were delivered and Basel 2009 they told us it was already discontinued.

So yes, it was 1 year in the catalog but I believe they only made it a few months.

Also know that at the same time they made the 5970P. 5970P also had a very shot run …. but since the 5970 had a much higher list price I wouldn't be surprised that Patek made a lot more 5970P than 5070P …. as you know it contains the same base calibre ( Lémania) and I think they preferred to use these last Lémania based movements for the more expensive watches.
If the Lémania stock was low, economically it is better to put it in the more expensive 5970.
I contacted SEVERAL AD back then and most of them did not receive a 5070P. My AD got 1 but at the same time he got 2 5970P … So I'm pretty sure they made more 5970P ( For the reason I said earlier)

So, we don't know how many 5070P they made but if you allow me to make a guess … I think it will be closer to 100 or 150
Agree on 5970P as well Bruno and 100-150 a good guess as well. While we never know exact number what we do know is it clearly had a very short run and few were made thus demand high as are prices! A prized treasure without a doubt! Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 5 January 2015, 09:48 PM   #37
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Thanks again for the education.
Old 5 January 2015, 10:53 PM   #38
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
Is there a reason the 5070G more available and cheaper than the other golds? I quite like it but only seen in pics.
Must be coincidence. Check again in 2 months and it might be the opposite.
Years ago the J was the cheapest and G was the most expensive.

But this changes

The J is already discontinued 13 years so I would think most flippers are already out the market and most of these are in the hands of real collectors, collectors that treasure their watch.
So probably they will never get cheaper.... Why would a real collector flip it?
Old 6 January 2015, 07:40 AM   #39
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Great discussion on the present value of these Lemania based chrono and perpetual chrono watches!

Is it true that Patek made double casebacks for only their perpetual and perpetual chrono watches?
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2015, 07:55 AM   #40
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post

Yes, about 250 5070's in each metal. Yellow, Rose and white.They were actually limited edition but not advertised as such.
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2015, 07:59 AM   #41
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Great discussion on the present value of these Lemania based chrono and perpetual chrono watches!

Is it true that Patek made double casebacks for only their perpetual and perpetual chrono watches?
As far as I know yes.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 5 February 2015, 08:08 AM   #42
stradman
"TRF" Member

Watch: TBA
Hi guys
Sorry to resurrect a month old thread but I am looking to buy a pre owned 5070p when I find one, so what exactly should the watch come with just so I know?
Also, if it is not sealed and has been lightly used, seeing the watch would now be about 7 years old, would you insist on Patek service or not?
Many thanks
stradman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2015, 08:44 AM   #43
dexvd
"TRF" Member

Do all Patek models come with 2 casebacks? Part of the reason I decided I wanted to look into more complicated Patek watches was the lack of the display case back on the 5196P...

Oops sorry read the thread a little closer and saw the 2 caseback thing was only applicable to the chronos.
dexvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2015, 09:12 AM   #44
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by stradman View Post
Hi guys
Sorry to resurrect a month old thread but I am looking to buy a pre owned 5070p when I find one, so what exactly should the watch come with just so I know?
Also, if it is not sealed and has been lightly used, seeing the watch would now be about 7 years old, would you insist on Patek service or not?
Many thanks
My 5070J is 16 years old from 1999 and runs perfectly and has never been serviced. I can tell you also my 5970R is 8 years old and never serviced and also runs perfectly. The reason I bring that up is the head of Patek service told me if they were his and running perfect he wouldn't service them. For me until they need service I am not got going to. I am very familiar with Lemania based movements and can tell you they are true work horses! To each his own and many would disagree but many of those also don't own these watches. Again that is from a good source IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexvd View Post
Do all Patek models come with 2 casebacks? Part of the reason I decided I wanted to look into more complicated Patek watches was the lack of the display case back on the 5196P...

Oops sorry read the thread a little closer and saw the 2 caseback thing was only applicable to the chronos.
2 case backs not applicable to chronos but to perpetual calendars.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 5 February 2015, 09:29 AM   #45
stradman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My 5070J is 16 years old from 1999 and runs perfectly and has never been serviced. I can tell you also my 5970R is 8 years old and never serviced and also runs perfectly. The reason I bring that up is the head of Patek service told me if they were his and running perfect he wouldn't service them. For me until they need service I am not got going to. I am very familiar with Lemania based movements and can tell you they are true work horses! To each his own and many would disagree but many of those also don't own these watches. Again that is from a good source IMHO.

Fair enough Ken, that seems sensible. Thanks for input. I'll certainly look at the watch as a whole to assess it's feel, condition etc rather than insist on servicing. Btw apart from the box and certificate of originality from Patek are there any other books the 5070 came with?
Old 5 February 2015, 09:41 AM   #46
HL65

Quote:
Fair enough Ken, that seems sensible. Thanks for input. I'll certainly look at the watch as a whole to assess it's feel, condition etc rather than insist on servicing. Btw apart from the box and certificate of originality from Patek are there any other books the 5070 came with?
Inside the Patek leather folio are 3 booklets. They are the booklet of distributors, collection library, and the reference 5070 thin booklet. Also the box is smaller old style versus newer bigger one. It has the Maron outside box versus newer brown one.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 5 February 2015, 09:43 AM   #47
el1125
Banned

Quote:

2 case backs not applicable to chronos but to perpetual calendars.
Ken is correct.
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2015, 10:27 AM   #48
stradman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Inside the Patek leather folio are 3 booklets. They are the booklet of distributors, collection library, and the reference 5070 thin booklet. Also the box is smaller old style versus newer bigger one. It has the Maron outside box versus newer brown one.
Cheers!
Old 5 February 2015, 10:13 PM   #49
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
The P version also comes with a small rug to place under your knees when kneeling to pay homage to one of the all time greats.......
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2015, 10:25 PM   #50
mikeceee
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,Patek,Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
The P version also comes with a small rug to place under your knees when kneeling to pay homage to one of the all time greats.......
Ohhh boy. The ambiguity is killing me
Old 5 February 2015, 11:10 PM   #51
stradman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
What colour, so I know to make sure
Old 5 March 2015, 01:54 PM   #52
BABKA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What colour, so I know to make sure
Obviously white to be closer to heaven when wearing this fine timepiece .
BABKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2015, 01:55 PM   #53
BABKA
"TRF" Member

A lot of good information here and thanks to Ken and "Gunrnnr" for being so straightforward with your insight!
BABKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2015, 04:06 AM   #54
PP101
"TRF" Member

Have just picked up on this thread and would be grateful for recommended sources for sealed 5070P's and sealed 5970's.
PP101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2015, 06:03 AM   #55
PP101
"TRF" Member

As a PS to my post immediately above (which for some reason I don't seem able to edit), I would also be interested to know whether the valuations mentioned are thought to have changed over the last few months (particularly given the price gyrations on the equivalent current models).
Old 24 April 2015, 08:13 AM   #56
stradman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP101 View Post
Have just picked up on this thread and would be grateful for recommended sources for sealed 5070P's and sealed 5970's.
http://www.chrono24.com/en/patekphil...arch/index.htm

Looks like its a UK watch.....
Old 24 April 2015, 08:28 AM   #57
PP101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you. I have already been in touch with that seller.

I am really more interested in reliable TRF sellers (or others) who do not appear on Chrono24.
Old 24 April 2015, 05:10 PM   #58
stradman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you. I have already been in touch with that seller.

I am really more interested in reliable TRF sellers (or others) who do not appear on Chrono24.
Well the price on that one looks quite reasonable considering other prices that I have seen.....
Old 24 April 2015, 05:22 PM   #59
PP101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well the price on that one looks quite reasonable considering other prices that I have seen.....
Really? I looked at a sealed 5070P yesterday that is being sold by a dealer with an asking price of £3,000 less ! And that is before any negotiation on the price ....

The seller from the weblink is a private seller and I have to say that I am very hesitant about pursuing the purchase of a watch of this value from a private individual.

Incidentally the watch that I looked at yesterday did not have an extra solid back. That seems to be correct for a 5070P, but can anyone confirm that ?

Also the watch that I looked at was in the standard brown travel box. The serial numbers had been peeled off the box, but from one of the barcode labels I could see that the box did not belong to the watch. Would people regard that as an issue ? I believe the seller to be well known and well regarded, but that did give me a little pause for thought.
Old 25 April 2015, 12:59 AM   #60
el1125
Banned

Quote:
Really? I looked at a sealed 5070P yesterday that is being sold by a dealer with an asking price of £3,000 less ! And that is before any negotiation on the price ....

The seller from the weblink is a private seller and I have to say that I am very hesitant about pursuing the purchase of a watch of this value from a private individual.

Incidentally the watch that I looked at yesterday did not have an extra solid back. That seems to be correct for a 5070P, but can anyone confirm that ?

Also the watch that I looked at was in the standard brown travel box. The serial numbers had been peeled off the box, but from one of the barcode labels I could see that the box did not belong to the watch. Would people regard that as an issue ? I believe the seller to be well known and well regarded, but that did give me a little pause for thought.
There is no extra solid case back that comes with this watch fyi.
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote