The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 28 May 2018, 04:06 AM   #61
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
Celebrate: Life, Success and Blessing.....!!!

I love that gif
Old 28 May 2018, 04:44 AM   #62
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Wow,

Are you a typical Patek owner?
Pimpsy?
Haha, I don't know, am I??

At one time I loved rotating this trinity. But PP has a funny way of claiming wrist time at the expense of all others!

watch collection PNG-min.png
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 05:01 AM   #63
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
When I imagine myself becoming a Patek owner, I foresee myself possessing the following horrifying thoughts.

- "The weight to cost ratio is the lowest of any watch I have ever purchased."
- "Wow, this watch is much lower in magnitude in both size and and heft than Rolex."
- "I now have a piece that is much more difficult to sell in the secondary market than a Rolex sports model."
- "Nobody aside from fellow WISes has ever heard of this brand, let alone can quickly recognize it."
- "For the same $, I can purchase 2x ceramic SS Daytona."
- "I can purchase another watch with the money it would cost me to service this piece."
- "This piece has much lower utility than my Submariner, GMT, or Daytona. I wouldn't feel comfortable showering or swimming with this Patek."

Current Patek owners, how did you rationalize these concerns when you took the plunge?
To the OP...

I want a Patek Philippe because is known for classy traditional complications moon-phase watch, that why I start with a Patek Philippe 5146R

As a owner of Patek Philippe, I love the 5146R so much that I start to look for a Patek Philippe sport watch model with all the Rolex standard quality or higher.....

If you love how the Rolex SS Daytona wear plus want the big look of the Rolex Submariner, Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167/1a-001 on bracelet is the way to go, no doubt about it....

If I knew it would wear like a Rolex with oyster bracelet,, I would have got it long time ago.....

Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167/1a-001 on bracelet

Example: the pro....

1. Workmanship better than Rolex
2. Aquanaut bracelet version is very solid like the Rolex oyster bracelet
3. Weight, technical the 5167/1a is a heavier watch compare to SS Daytona if both to have full links.
4. Water resistant @ 120m more than Rolex standard such as Daytona, GMT, & etc....
5. Wear bigger than Rolex 40mm watch
6. Sunburst dial, very easy to read time quickly during day like a Rolex Submariner
7. Better lume than Rolex Submariner when read time during night
8. Strong resale value
9. Can change to 3 different type of Patek Philippe original equipment manufacturer strap such as bracelet, rubber, and crocodile leather strap with pin buckle or Calatrava cross deployant clasp which Rolex can't do if you want Rolex original equipment...

The lists go on & on...

Now for the cons.

1. Any Patek Philippe bracelet version is the pain in the ass if you need to remove or add links.... You or your AD or watchmaker must use a Bergeon 6819 professional pin pusher pliers remover and insert tool...

Without that tool you could risk damage the bracelet links.....

2. Patek Philippe Service Center USA don't have a simple parts in stock such as bracelet pin and tube if need to be replace...

3. No fine tune adjustment on the bracelet unlike any Rolex sport model

4. Over 6 months to 1 year wait if you service you watch at the Patek Philippe Service Center USA

5. Long wait list on the popular SS Patek Philippe sport watch

Conclusion....

Do your homework & research.... I'm sure you will find your Patek Philippe watch that you want.....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 05:18 AM   #64
the.react
"TRF" Member

I don't own a Patek but I certainly get more excited when I see someone else wearing one than I do when I see a Rolex .. it is a much rarer animal to encounter in the wild (at least in my wild).
the.react is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 07:17 AM   #65
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
[QUOTE=SL BRABUS;8619252]To the OP...

1. Any Patek Philippe bracelet version is the pain in the ass if you need to remove or add links.... You or your AD or watchmaker must use a Bergeon 6819 professional pin pusher pliers remover and insert tool...

Patek Philippe sport watch

Why did PP change from the screws to the pin system. Screws are the best way to go in my view and all better watches have them (except PP).
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 09:56 AM   #66
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post

Why did PP change from the screws to the pin system. Screws are the best way to go in my view and all better watches have them (except PP).
Not sure if you read my post correctly...;-)

I said,

"Now for the cons.

1. Any Patek Philippe bracelet version is the pain in the ass if you need to remove or add links.... You or your AD or watchmaker must use a Bergeon 6819 professional pin pusher pliers remover and insert tool..."

So, yes I agree with you the screws is better than the pin system...

Old 28 May 2018, 10:08 AM   #67
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post

Patek Philippe sport watch

There is no official stance from PP, but some say it is to save cost as time has been spent on other parts of the watch (finishing on the bracelet, etc), some say the pins are used to make the watch even lighter (marginal I would think), and to make the bracelet thinner to match the case thickness.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 10:23 AM   #68
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
There is no official stance from PP, but some say it is to save cost as time has been spent on other parts of the watch (finishing on the bracelet, etc), some say the pins are used to make the watch even lighter (marginal I would think), and to make the bracelet thinner to match the case thickness.
Most likely save cost ...

Old 28 May 2018, 01:20 PM   #69
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Used to own a 3800 with screwed bracelet, why I sold it years ago is beyond me...but I digress...this bracelet is so thin that the screws were tiny, the pins offer more security I’d say.
Old 28 May 2018, 03:47 PM   #70
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
Right, and the utility is also far lower than let's say a Submariner or GMT. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a Nautilus into a swimming pool or shower. Brand aside, looks and design-wise, is a Nautilus really more attractive than a Daytona or Submariner? I'm still trying to wrap my head around the appeal of Patek.

Let's say someone purchases a perpetual calendar chrono for $100k, which is arguably Patek's most classic best-looking model. Now, they have $100k invested in a watch that is not easy to liquidate. Sure, some folks are so wealthy they can afford to purchase and keep a watch forever, but the point is, Pateks lack the general broad-market demand that Rolex has always possessed.
lol really? You would be amazed how much in demand they will be if you are talking about the 5740 which is the PC Nautilus, it William be much more easy to sell and surely with less lossthan any PM Rolex sport model.
For your other questions you get them for you, do you like everyone noticing you have a Rolex? If yes then PP might not be for you, about the weight ratio, they are super comfy, a sub compared to it is almost like having a brick on you arm, very cool feel.
And if you take any SS models they almost don’t loose money on resale, if to take the 5711/12, 5167, you even make a lot of cash if you got them for retail, so much better than any SS Rolex, yes even the Daytona C when we are talking 571/12.
Basically I got my first and that was it for me, Rolex was over, though now coming back into the brand as I havea SS Pepsi on order, and maybe a black Daytona, but was without any for a few years after owning 5, but if because of money problems I had to have only one watch and sell the rest, the 5712 would be the one which would stay, wouldn’t be very happy to sell the others but could go with only the 5712, would suck at service time though...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 12:04 AM   #71
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

OP - you are way overthinking this, it's just a f@$*ing watch.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 10:27 AM   #72
PJitz
"TRF" Member

Was reading through some old threads:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...58&postcount=5

Interesting how opinions change
PJitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 02:38 PM   #73
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Uninformed opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 05:23 PM   #74
TudorTuesday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJitz View Post
Was reading through some old threads:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...58&postcount=5

Interesting how opinions change
Nice bit of sleuthing here. :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
TudorTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 05:30 PM   #75
PJitz
"TRF" Member

Some examples of horrifying thoughts for a potential 1st time Patek owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TudorTuesday View Post
Nice bit of sleuthing here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ha, I wish I was that good at sleuthing
PJitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 03:10 AM   #76
ragsk
Banned

This is a really interesting thread.

If I may pose a question, just to get some views - If you were to remove the Patek badge/name from your Aquanauts and Nautilus watches what would you think of them ?
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 04:00 AM   #77
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post

If I may pose a question, just to get some views - If you were to remove the Patek badge/name from your Aquanauts and Nautilus watches what would you think of them ?
Fake.......

Old 11 June 2018, 04:33 AM   #78
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
lets just be clear....there is no justification for ANY mechanical watch......period

All the points you raised you can throw at Rolex too

They just get amplified when you go farther up the price ladder

Can you justify having 10 Toyota Camry's(or equally priced cars) for the price of one Ferrari?

When your shopping for a Ferrari or a Patek, your past the point of reasoning.......its all pleasure
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 04:56 AM   #79
August West
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
My answer: I've never once looked at a Patek and thought even one of the above questions. Rolex is my daily wear and has been for a while, but never once have I held the brand as the benchmark for comparison. Given, I'm not into buying pieces that will instantly lose substantial value upon purchase, but resale value is not what comes to mind when buying a watch unless it's specifically to flip
August West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 06:28 PM   #80
benzng
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltie View Post
Watches are NOT rational, they are emotional, regardless of what you buy for what price. If you want a rational solution, click on your phone and see date and time 😉
Agree with this 1000%
benzng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 10:05 AM   #81
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
I never had to rationalize, because I never had any of these concerns. It was easy. I had found a watch with a rectangular case, movement made to fit case size, manual wind, time only function with small seconds. The case shape of my Gondolo is totally unique. And, I am very happy it is a Patek Philippe. My AD is exceptional, his description of meeting and dealing with Patek Philippe employees, management and representatives is remarkable. I have other fine watches in my collection, but I have absolutely nothing to compare my Patek Philippe with. Nor do I care to. As stated above, a watch purchase is an emotional decision. It is also a luxury item. Pure pleasure. No rationalization or justification necessary.
Old 12 June 2018, 11:49 AM   #82
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I felt that my Patek Calatrava purchase was the highlight of my watch collecting. I own several Rolex sports watches and I love them. But my Patek is a dress watch and a very different animal. If you revere Patek as the pinnacle of watch making, get one. Personally, I don’t care if anyone knows what I am wearing.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 12:00 PM   #83
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
try explaining why you need a Rolex to someone who wears a g shock based on tangible criteria. You are trying to justify Patek, but there is plenty of justification already required to own a Rolex
x2! exactly!
Old 12 June 2018, 07:13 PM   #84
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Clearly the OP has no intention of buying a Patek.

#troll

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 07:45 PM   #85
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
#troll

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 08:49 PM   #86
Fard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post

When i spend a big amount of money, the brand is very important for me. It's like for clothes, a tshirt with the burberry tag on it could be the same quality as a tshirt from zara, but price is 10 times higher for burberry. Luxury items are just that - luxury. Not more beautiful necessarily.
Fard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 09:03 PM   #87
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post

#troll
Yes indeed.

Looks like the OP set a trap but hasn't returned to empty it.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 09:14 PM   #88
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
I think you would be shocked by who knows what a Patek is these days. For example, I was in the barber on Saturday and and the barber who was 23 mentioned that he was saving for an aquanaut. This then sparked a conversation about who prefers PP, AP and Rolex. In the days on Instagram and YouTube people exposure to this stuff is far greater. Just my observation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TeddyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 01:50 AM   #89
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
I live and work in NYC, and I don’t intend to sound pretentious. But fashionable people who can afford Patek and shop in High end stores know that Patek makes very expensive watches, and when they notice it on your wrist they will look twice. Probably will never say anything, but it will be noticed. I can only speak from personal experience living in NYC. Rolex watches are super common, walking around Manhattan pretty much everyone has one, it doesn’t feel special.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 05:44 AM   #90
Viscount1961
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750 ExpII
You won’t get a sapphire caseback with a typical Rolex so you can’t admire the craftsmanship of the movement. When you get to see a Patek movement it helps to understand the step up in cost.
Viscount1961 is offline   Reply With Quote