The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 November 2019, 04:14 AM   #1
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Icon9 Got the Call!

Got a call last night from an AD here in San Diego saying that a 116613LB had arrived & it's on a first-come, first-serve basis. I called back & said that I had to politely decline the purchase, but I appreciated the call. I'm allocating money towards the purchase of a home in the next ~3yrs. I had put myself on the list a few months ago when I thought I would be ready to buy, but plans change...

Has anyone ever turned down an AD call? I was so excited to hear from them, seeing as how I am a "new" customer to this AD & that a waitlist does, apparently, exist. I was kinda sad, to be honest, but I felt it to be the more "mature" course of action.

I've told myself a dozen times today that it's "just" a "thing" & there will be Rolexes to buy in the future. I just wanted to share with you guys. Oh, and I traveled to ILM this weekend & saw a PAM01048 & a 6-digit Day-Date. I pointed them out to my wife who shrugged & said "isn't that the one that Tony Soprano wore?"

Hope everyone has a good week. Maybe post a pic of your two-tone Sub for me to fawn over...

jlg
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 04:18 AM   #2
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
I think it shows maturity, and hopefully the AD understands. There will always be more - so don't fret, Jake.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 04:18 AM   #3
Buzzlite
"TRF" Member

You probably wont ever get a call from that AD again. AD's dont care on personal finances, they just want to sell. You would be classed a time waster by their standards considering most people jump on the AD calls.

Sorry to be blunt
Buzzlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 04:21 AM   #4
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Yep. If the watch is not what I wanted politely declined.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 04:23 AM   #5
ttman333
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller 43
I turned down the SD43 a couple of times as the timing wasn't quite right - run up to Christmas for example.

Patience paid off a few months later with one from the excellent Rolex Boutique in Heathrow.

Am sure if the AD is sensible he/she will understand and still view you as an active client.

Good luck with the house!
ttman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 04:24 AM   #6
Buzzlite
"TRF" Member

Should never put name down if it's not a watch your are committing to because things like this happen and when you turn the AD call down your harming the relationship for future pieces.

Times are changing with ADs.

OFC if you have prior purchase history it may be different situation as you do have some leeway to turn pieces down. But as a new customer with no purchase history and then turn down the first piece they offer certainly does no favours.

But there are plenty of ADs to switch to.
Buzzlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 04:24 AM   #7
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Got the Call!

Is posting a 6-digit DD pic also okay.....?

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 04:53 AM   #8
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzlite View Post
You probably wont ever get a call from that AD again. AD's dont care on personal finances, they just want to sell. You would be classed a time waster by their standards considering most people jump on the AD calls.

Sorry to be blunt
Nah. You'll get another call...

OP. it depends on the relationship...you will buy another Rolex and hopefully he will want to send it to you. I have turned down watches in the past. The phone line never went dead and the honesty was appreciated...
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 05:01 AM   #9
Rjongco
"TRF" Member

I turned down a BLNR a few years ago. I had already purchased one through another AD.
Rjongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 05:02 AM   #10
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Should never put name down if it's not a watch your are committing to because things like this happen and when you turn the AD call down your harming the relationship for future pieces.

OFC if you have prior purchase history it may be different situation as you do have some leeway to turn pieces down. But as a new customer with no purchase history and then turn down the first piece they offer certainly does no favours.

I put my name down a few months ago with the intention of buying. I'm now in a position to buy a home & honestly thought I'd never get a call as a "first timer" right off the street at this AD.
Old 5 November 2019, 05:11 AM   #11
calh22a
Banned

With no prior history and you turn down first call, may hurt future chances unfortunately
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 05:23 AM   #12
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

If you have an established relationship, I think it’s fine to pass on a desirable piece. Hard to say in your circumstance, but I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. You made the correct (mature) financial decision. Rest easy!
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 05:27 AM   #13
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calh22a View Post
With no prior history and you turn down first call, may hurt future chances unfortunately
I am/was worried about that. But, when the time comes, I'll go back in. I could always go grey, but that seems like a future me issue. Moving from the renting world to the owning world is more important right now. I will just enjoy my 16013 that much more.
Old 5 November 2019, 05:30 AM   #14
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
I am/was worried about that. But, when the time comes, I'll go back in. I could always go grey, but that seems like a future me issue. Moving from the renting world to the owning world is more important right now. I will just enjoy my 16013 that much more.
Stay true to your instincts...definitely acquire that mortgage first, then calculate the money saved on rent that just goes down the drain. Next, smile.

THEN buy the Rolex.

Ben
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 05:44 AM   #15
h20addict
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:

You made the right call and there's no need to justify it to anyone else.
h20addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 05:45 AM   #16
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
I put my name down a few months ago with the intention of buying. I'm now in a position to buy a home & honestly thought I'd never get a call as a "first timer" right off the street at this AD.
Hmmm... well, looks like the SS Sky-Dweller just arrived. Let me check my list. Ah, Joe Smith wanted one- I might call him up. Let me pull up his purchase history: a Datejust for his wife, an Explorer I for himself... he might be OK. He's only been waiting two months though. Who else is on here. Piratfisk. Hmm... nice guy... stopped by a few times... but no purchase history. He's been waiting a while though- what, 2 years? But no purchases in those 2 years... where have I seen his name before? Let me check those lists- ohhhhhhh he's the guy who said he wanted the ceramic bluesy but didn't show up when his name came up... it was during that rough fall of 2019, when sales were slow... what was his reason again? Let me pull up his texts/emails/notes... ahhh he had a house to save up for... God bless him, I hope he's saved up enough... but with no purchase history I just don't know if he's going to be a loyal customer... that house must be costly too, he'll have to devote his salary to the house and to family expenses... ughhhh I know I feel bad for thinking of it this way but I gotta allocate these for repeat customers... that's why they're called "allocation pieces"... oh well, who's next... Sally Miller? She's got a few purchases, one precious metals Day-Date for her husband and a pair of diamond earrings... she's been waiting 4 months but we can expect more sales from her... yeah I think I'll give Sally a call... if she doesn't want it, I'm sure Joe Smith will pick it up..."

The details are interchangeable, but the point stands- as well-intentioned and kind of a person you are, a salesman with future allocation pieces is highly likely to discount your candidacy as a serious buyer.

FWIW I would have saved up for a house, too. It's the responsible thing and I applaud your fiscal discipline to do so. I just wouldn't have signed up for a 116613LB three months beforehand and/or divulged that I was saving up for a house. But hey- there are plenty of ADs out there, contrary to what ADs want us to believe, lol
Old 5 November 2019, 06:13 AM   #17
calh22a
Banned

Quote:
Yeah it’s hard to say. If the AD is a good AD and they are genuinely looking to retain customers, they shouldn’t exclude you from future purchases. Just need to see them in person and let them know the situation. Just make sure you don’t decline the second call. I would say that would very much likely put you in a disadvantage
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 06:16 AM   #18
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:

I've turned down one in the past 6 months and still got a call....
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 06:17 AM   #19
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
home > watch.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 06:17 AM   #20
DaninFlorida
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Speedy/BB
honestly, who cares if you "upset" the AD. you arent ready to buy a watch right now, no big deal. if you are ready in a year or two, who knows what the situation will be then. never should you buy something to maintain a "relationship". i used quotation marks because this isnt a relationship, you are paying them full list price for a watch. they most likely sold the watch and they didnt lose anything by not going to you. the house is much more important.
DaninFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 06:46 AM   #21
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
I also turned down a call from my local AD notifying me that a new air-king had just arrived. I just told the guy that I recently bought something else, from somewhere else, and then gave it no further thought. And if I did give it any further thought, I would have assumed he would have just moved to the next name on the list and closed the deal shortly thereafter.
NachoNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 06:54 AM   #22
Rollie Gent
"TRF" Member

I have a good relationship with my AD. They usually send me a photo of the new arrivals and ask if Im interested. Usually things I don't want. Last week I got the call on a Explorer II and honestly I was tempted because of the SS hype but its just not the watch I want so I passed on it. Got a text back later that it sold to the next person they called but they were happy to see I just wasn't a flipper and would keep me in the loop of all the current inventory.
Rollie Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 07:39 AM   #23
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Smart move Piratfisk.
I recently bought a house and ended up offloading some hot SS models to fund it. No regrets at all, rather build for myself and family than have some Rolexes on my wrists looking cool but straining finances elsewhere.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 07:59 AM   #24
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss516 View Post
Smart move Piratfisk.
I recently bought a house and ended up offloading some hot SS models to fund it. No regrets at all, rather build for myself and family than have some Rolexes on my wrists looking cool but straining finances elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
116613lb , call , new watch , submariner