The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 November 2014, 02:35 AM   #31
pngates

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM3 View Post
Yes, everyone who continues to call it the "Steve McQueen" watch may as well call it the "Fred Flinstone" watch, because it "said somewhere" that Fred wore one...and I believe Wilma wore a datejust...hard to tell as I have frozen the frames on the television and scrutinized the watches, and it looks like a vintage date just on Wilma and an explorer 2 on Fred, so with the same level of "authority" and with the same level of "evidence" put forth by those who insist on calling it the "Steve McQueen" watch, or explorer 2, I now dub it the "Fred Flinstone" watch, and the datejust the "Wilma" watch.

Of course, some of us know full well that Steve McQueen was never, ever photographed or alleged to have worn that watch except for completely unsubstantiated "claims" by people who neither knew him, met him, or ever saw a picture of him wearing an explorer 2, and as such, is pure myth and falsehood absent any proof. At least some people claimed to have seen Bigfoot.

So yabba dabba do to all of you who continue to perpetrate the myth.

gee sorry bud I didn't mean to hurt your feelings..
pngates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 04:00 AM   #32
timnik
"TRF" Member

The 1655 is the nicest, most understated of all the Rolex Sports models in my opinion.

Classic, stylish and simple.

Great looker
timnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 04:37 AM   #33
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Very Nice Steve McQueen Explorer

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 05:20 AM   #34
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, everyone who continues to call it the "Steve McQueen" watch may as well call it the "Fred Flinstone" watch, because it "said somewhere" that Fred wore one...and I believe Wilma wore a datejust...hard to tell as I have frozen the frames on the television and scrutinized the watches, and it looks like a vintage date just on Wilma and an explorer 2 on Fred, so with the same level of "authority" and with the same level of "evidence" put forth by those who insist on calling it the "Steve McQueen" watch, or explorer 2, I now dub it the "Fred Flinstone" watch, and the datejust the "Wilma" watch.

Of course, some of us know full well that Steve McQueen was never, ever photographed or alleged to have worn that watch except for completely unsubstantiated "claims" by people who neither knew him, met him, or ever saw a picture of him wearing an explorer 2, and as such, is pure myth and falsehood absent any proof. At least some people claimed to have seen Bigfoot.

So yabba dabba do to all of you who continue to perpetrate the myth.
However uncorroborated and irritating it may be - and, I'm fairly confident you and just about everyone else is equally unable to state categorically that he NEVER wore one, even if you did actually know him - it is still known as a "Steve McQueen" by some [not me, I hasten to add]. Don't let it make you angry though
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 05:56 AM   #35
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
I call anything I'm selling a "Steve McQueen" in order to bump up the sales price. In fact come to think of it I'm really Steve McQueen in my internet fantasy life. Oh these foolish watch nicknames... More made up bs.

No offense. Congrats on your Fred flintstone ... Err Steve McCracken .... Um gmt with the funny looking hand.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 06:20 AM   #36
timnik
"TRF" Member

Funny post.

Doesn't get any dafter than Pepsi, Coke and Root Beer!

When I inherited my 1675 (67) GMT Master a friend of mine told me it was "a nice looking Pepsi" I thought he was taking the piss!

I've read up a bit since those days and have become accustomed to the terminology.
timnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 10:42 AM   #37
steptoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Of course, some of us know full well that Steve McQueen was never, ever photographed or alleged to have worn that watch except for completely unsubstantiated "claims" by people who neither knew him, met him, or ever saw a picture of him wearing an explorer 2, and as such, is pure myth and falsehood absent any proof. .
Well i never, that's two of us who know he never wore a 1655. But getting angry about it won't change a thing, it'll still be known as the "Steve McQueen".

And surely everyone knows good old Steve wore a Hanhart 417 (when he wasn't beating his wife or girlfriends), which was his favourite watch..
Old 9 November 2014, 11:46 AM   #38
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Beauties!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 12:58 PM   #39
KellyM3
Banned

Why would anyone take my Fred flinstone post as angry? First of all I was clarifying that it is not a "Steve McQueen" watch...that is just the reality of it...if anyone is angry it is Fred...he deserves more respect than that!

And to the OP...sorry "bud" whoever you are...you certainly did not hurt my feelings. I hope you enjoy your Flinstone watch!
KellyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 06:45 PM   #40
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why would anyone take my Fred flinstone post as angry? First of all I was clarifying that it is not a "Steve McQueen" watch...that is just the reality of it...if anyone is angry it is Fred...he deserves more respect than that!

And to the OP...sorry "bud" whoever you are...you certainly did not hurt my feelings. I hope you enjoy your Flinstone watch!
Well, you did seem to be a bit worked up about it in your initial rant, so that's why. Maybe go back and read it again... And no-one's going to call it a "Fred Flintstone" either - except you . You don't need to clarify that it's 'not a Steve McQueen watch' - most already know and just accept that (the world isn't perfect) - but, the point is; it is still often, perhaps erroneously, referred to as such, and, infuriating though that may be, that's just the way it is, and will likely ALWAYS be
Old 9 November 2014, 10:23 PM   #41
Storky
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1680
Orange Hand - Just found our where the confusion comes from!
***Messing around on a Sunday ... apologies to anyone who may own the copyright to the 'original' photo!***
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steve-McQueen-.jpg (66.4 KB, 324 views)
Storky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 10:45 PM   #42
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
Great 1655's guys I need one myself.

Well, back to drinking my Steve McQueen coffee from my Steve McQueen mug

Probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival---Capt. Rage

Don't believe anything in aviation, 'till V1---Mitch Danger Steel
MitchSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 11:47 PM   #43
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storky View Post
***Messing around on a Sunday ... apologies to anyone who may own the copyright to the 'original' photo!***
WOW...no wonder people are confused !!

Old 10 November 2014, 12:21 AM   #44
KellyM3
Banned

Yeah seeing him wear that sub is very confusing

Yaba dabba do!

And by the way the wrong designation started somewhere so don't be so sure the flintstone won't catch on...but as annoying as that may be I will always call it the flintstone from now on

That's just the way it is and always will be!

Cheers!
Old 10 November 2014, 12:21 AM   #45
KellyM3
Banned

Yaba dabba do!

And by the way the wrong designation started somewhere so don't be so sure the flintstone won't catch on...but as annoying as that may be I will always call it the flintstone from now on

Cheers!
Old 10 November 2014, 12:30 AM   #46
SUBversive
Banned

Quote:
That orange hand explains it all!
Old 10 November 2014, 12:57 AM   #47
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yaba dabba do!

Cheers!
Yes, you do that!
Old 10 November 2014, 01:28 AM   #48
KellyM3
Banned

I will

Cheers!
Old 11 November 2014, 04:19 AM   #49
SUBversive
Banned

Quote:
So did Steve McQueen really have an orange hand?
Old 11 November 2014, 04:27 AM   #50
Storky
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBversive View Post
So did Steve McQueen really have an orange hand?
Seems like it! If not perhaps he was the celebrity tester for the original spray tan technique....
Storky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2014, 11:58 AM   #51
SUBversive
Banned

Quote:
Seems like it! If not perhaps he was the celebrity tester for the original spray tan technique....
Orange soda accident on set of the great escape....

Old 11 November 2014, 12:43 PM   #52
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Would a watch be worth more if Fred Flintstone wore it?

I think Steve and Fred wore this one, not the 1655 Mk I that you all claim they wore!

Old 11 November 2014, 01:43 PM   #53
nathaniel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngates View Post
Shot of my 1971 1655 Steve McQueen Orange Hand Explorer II straight second hand
With black nato band and orange perlon strap:
Great looking watch. Congrats!

116710LN
116610LV
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2014, 01:50 PM   #54
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Way to highjack a thread. Thanks for sharing op, amazing watch
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2014, 02:37 PM   #55
KellyM3
Banned

You are right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post

I think Steve and Fred wore this one, not the 1655 Mk I that you all claim they wore!

I stand corrected!
Old 11 November 2014, 05:33 PM   #56
waiting
2024 Pledge Member

Amazing! Hopefully can make this one part of the collection next year.

D
waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2014, 09:51 PM   #57
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Way to come in here and hijack the thread, insult the other members, and make such a big deal about something so trivial.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 02:09 AM   #58
pngates

Quote:

Yaba dabba do!

Cheers!
It is very sad that you have nothing better to do than to make comments like this. It was simply a post to show ONE of my watches out of my collection. There is really no need for comments like yours. But I'm sure you have a lovely collection too, and based on the way in which you conduct yourself on the internet I'm sure you are a lovely person in real life as well.
pngates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 03:57 AM   #59
meanjean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post

Definitely that's awesome gear!
meanjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 06:06 AM   #60
KellyM3
Banned

Well, one of you sent me a PM by mistake, so thank you for letting me in on what you are doing. You should make sure you are sending PM to the right person.

Secondly, I know you are trying to start a fight, likely to have me banned per the PM, so I will not take the bait.

There was no hijacking of anything. My "comments" are factually based. There are no pictures or any evidence anywhere, on the internet, or otherwise, that support your contention that this is a "Steve McQueen" watch. Unless you have proof that he owned your watch or wore it, your labeling it a "Steve McQueen" watch is false. Simply not true.

There is no support on the internet, or elsewhere, that he ever wore that model watch. So your contention that he wore that model is simply not factually correct, nor true.

I made no personal attacks upon you, your livelihood, your "collection" or anything related to you other than your incorrect designation. You, however, have chosen to make personal attacks upon me. I do note part of your personal attack is your suggestion, or should I say inference, that you are somehow superior because you either have, or believe that you have, a "collection that is somehow superior, or more plentiful, valuable or voluminous, to one that I may or may not have.

Now, you know nothing about me, or whether I have a "collection" or what I have in my "collection" nor do you know what kind of person I am. However, I do note that you and others continue to defend the identification of this watch and/or model in a completely incorrect and factually untrue way. It is no more a "Steve McQueen" watch than it is a Fred Flinstone watch. Just because you and other folks continue to say it is something that it is not, does not make it true, regardless of the number of times it is repeated. An untruth is an untruth, whether told once or a thousand times. I do note that you continue to argue in support of a contention that is not true, and that others are piling on in support of the person who is contending something that is not true, and condemning the person who has the factually valid position. Trumpeting this watch as a "McQueen" watch could be perceived as taking advantage of prospective purchasers who may see your post and others like it, who think that they are getting something related to Steve McQueen, which it is not. Since the truth clearly does not matter, anyone can call any item anything they so desire. And if it is repeated over and over, then it is ok. Sorry "bud" but, I do not conduct myself that way, on the internet, or in the real world. But, hey, that is just one person's way of living.

I do know what Fred would say about continuing to make these representations about it being a "McQueen" watch, he would say "Yabba Dabba Don't"