The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 September 2019, 09:54 AM   #1
jasonj84
"TRF" Member

DSSD Real or Fake?

Hey guys, joined here awhile back, obviously haven’t been very active yet. Looking to add my first Rolex to the collection. This watch is from a local seller who agreed to meet at an AD for authentication. Has warranty card, box, etc. A few small details just don’t look right, aside from the crappy pics. Any feedback appreciated. Thank you.
jasonj84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 09:56 AM   #2
mrcardoc
"TRF" Member

Fake date wheel misaligned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrcardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 09:57 AM   #3
mrcardoc
"TRF" Member

At on crystal, date wheel, wrong color titanium ect.......

Old 10 September 2019, 10:17 AM   #4
jasonj84
"TRF" Member

Thank you, I figured as much. There was also some fine detail in the lettering that didn’t seem right.

Jason
Old 10 September 2019, 10:24 AM   #5
mrcardoc
"TRF" Member

DSSD Real or Fake?

No problem I hate scammers. If you want to do some homework check out repgeek and look at the caliber of the fakes out there. They are not considered fakes anymore they are 1:1 replicas. They have been able to reverse engineer a lot of the more popular models. The one good thing is you can test drive a replica before buying a gen, I don’t recommend buying a gen off anyone other than an authorized dealer these days.

Old 10 September 2019, 10:30 AM   #6
jasonj84
"TRF" Member

Through my research (most of today) I came across one of the replica sites. It was $1,600 for the DSSD, but as you said, claimed 1:1, including with the case back off.
Old 10 September 2019, 10:43 AM   #7
mrcardoc
"TRF" Member

Yes there are 1:1 replicas all the way down to the movements. The most common is the yuki 3135 they even interchange with gen parts approx 90% the only difference in the replica movements are the balance wheel does not have weights as well as the the balance bridge is two pieces. At first glance it fools jewelers but after detailed inspection you can tell. They even have gone as far as reverse cannon gears. For a good deep sea replica $400-600 with some mods. anything above that is a rip off. I have to educate people mostly pawn shops here in San Diego about these because they are getting burned on mostly submariners.

Old 10 September 2019, 11:03 AM   #8
jasonj84
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the info and your expertise. I definitely don’t want a rep, at any price. I currently have a JLC, Omega, Panerai, Ball, and a Sablier (mistake). Looking to add a Rolex to the collection. Unfortunately, my wife has an aversion to paying retail. Bought all but the Sablier CPO
Old 10 September 2019, 11:12 AM   #9
mrcardoc
"TRF" Member

No problem my friend.....Yeah I only use them for educational purposes only. You should be able to find a reputable authorized establishment that will sell pre owned watches. Deep sea’s are very common because people often buy them and don’t like the size / weight. I love mine but they are a common watch on the preowned market. I would stick with the black dial. I was not to fond on the new blue/black dial. I also own the first gen deep sea. One of my favorite watches. Just a larger submariner. Just big enough but not overboard.

Old 11 September 2019, 04:35 AM   #10
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
I also agree fake
Old 11 September 2019, 05:18 AM   #11
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Modern Rolex is so common that if you have any reservations about the watch or the seller, just move on to the next seller. The best advice for your first watch is to buy from a trusted local dealer with a return policy. Maybe you will pay a few hundred more sometimes, but that is the best way to go to get started brother.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 07:58 AM   #12
jwjbaker
"TRF" Member

Totally fake. I actually reached out to the seller as I am in Boston as well and I called him out on it after asking a few questions.
jwjbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 08:38 AM   #13
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Whose pictures, his or yours? Because bad pictures is a huge red flag. They intentionally take bad pictures to hide flaws. And with cameras the way they are, there is no excuse for a bad photo anymore.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 08:40 AM   #14
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
R