The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 21 January 2014, 12:58 PM   #91
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
I always wonder if AP executives lurk on the sight to see what people's interest or likes are
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 01:03 PM   #92
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachty 1 View Post
I always wonder if AP executives lurk on the sight to see what people's interest or likes are
It doesn't seem like they do. Who wants to wear a completely white watch?
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 02:16 PM   #93
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver2012 View Post
I can see this being an upcoming purchase for you!

Very possibly. I am awaiting pricing information. This tackles two of the three problems I had with the existing RG/Carbon version, which I nearly bought.
conkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 02:53 PM   #94
mdtddd2007
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, GS
Glad they kept 42 mm. Love the new black dial w/ red accents.
mdtddd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 03:25 PM   #95
Lange1
"TRF" Member

Where is AP ROO 42mm ceramic case + ceramic bezel and display case back? All steel again!
Lange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 03:51 PM   #96
seattle1978
"TRF" Member

Watch: APs
Quote:
I wish they had made a gold Diver...
+1
seattle1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 04:11 PM   #97
Shawnnyang
Banned

I sometimes wonder whether the wants and desires of the general population is congruent with that of the internet forum.

With rolexes - I would think the answer is no. The average consumer doesn't give two shits about flat fours, open sixes, red writing, or how the dssd is "imbalanced."

However, I would think that the answer would be different for APs. A much smaller educated/consumer base that's very vocal about what they want. Why doesn't AP get it?

Edit: Also it's not that expensive to make a ceramic bezel. You can't honestly tell me that a ceramic bezel is worth an upcharge of a 6k (pretty much the price of a ceramic sub).
Shawnnyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 04:29 PM   #98
ra's ag
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next one...
While I see what they are trying to do with these lines I'm not interested in any of them. A ceramic bezel steel diver with transparent case back would have been more exciting than any of these changes
ra's ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 06:25 PM   #99
shnxx
"TRF" Member

wish there had been a ceramic bezel with rose gold.
kind of like an updated RGRC.
Old 21 January 2014, 07:05 PM   #100
Koi6715
"TRF" Member

Well maybe somewhere and someone from Ap is in a crisis meeting we have made a mistake!!

On the plus side because they haven't manufactured the 42mm Roo in certain materials colours as we would like they still can in the future, especially if sales flop on these models

Do luxury brands ever do surveys with their customers ??

An all ceramic 42 mm
RG ceramic 42mm
RG diver with ceramic
S/s diver ceramic

Thats what i would of liked to see
Koi6715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 08:05 PM   #101
Sirus
"TRF" Member

Video of the 42mm ROO by a blog to watch.
Sirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 08:14 PM   #102
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
I wish they would allow existing owners to get a clear case back!
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 08:52 PM   #103
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnnyang View Post
I sometimes wonder whether the wants and desires of the general population is congruent with that of the internet forum.

With rolexes - I would think the answer is no. The average consumer doesn't give two shits about flat fours, open sixes, red writing, or how the dssd is "imbalanced."

However, I would think that the answer would be different for APs. A much smaller educated/consumer base that's very vocal about what they want. Why doesn't AP get it?

Edit: Also it's not that expensive to make a ceramic bezel. You can't honestly tell me that a ceramic bezel is worth an upcharge of a 6k (pretty much the price of a ceramic sub).
I agree, I think AP would be far more in touch with the forums/WIS's wishes, but for them to completely ignore all pleas for a ceramic bezel seems to me to be a cost exercise. After all the overpricing problems they have had recently, esp on gold, I think they want to keep the costs and prices of the new 42mm ROOs as low as possible, and then have the ceramic bezel as a luxury option on the more expensive 44mms only.

That's what a re-imagining rather than an update seems to be here to me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 09:09 PM   #104
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

not proposing ceramic bezels has nothing to do with cost/pricing, IMHO, and everything to do with design and history of the models.

look at the price of the models....such luxury pricing does not reflect the actual cost of the item, but, rather, what AP thinks the market will pay (with a HUGE margin built in).

with that huge margin, there's more than enough room to not pass along all the full cost of the bezel (if there indeed is much of a difference).

of course, with SS bezels, people might be more tempted to send their watches earlier for servicing, which nets AP a hefty chunk of change. but, again, i can't believe that's the motivation for not offering ceramic bezels.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 09:10 PM   #105
ceramic1
"TRF" Member

Hi,
Does anyone know if the new strap has the same design as the old 42mm aside from the new buckle. Or is it similar to the diver strap, thick all the way around?

Old design with the comfort of the diver buckle would be perfect.
ceramic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 09:12 PM   #106
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
I thought a replacement bezel was 2 thousand for a 44 mm roo ? So on a 42 they couldn't up charge 1500? Esp with elimination of the rc models
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 09:29 PM   #107
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
The Bezel on the RG ROO should be ceramic. A RG bezel will be too prone to scratches ( and dings ) for practical purposes.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 09:40 PM   #108
Colin W
"TRF" Member

That upgrade is a no brainier, why they didn't do that one is beyond me

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnxx View Post
wish there had been a ceramic bezel with rose gold.
kind of like an updated RGRC.
So simple to do, just strap a bumblebee bez on in place of the rubber - perfection!
Colin W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 10:24 PM   #109
orangedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP, Rolex
Check out the excellent pictures of most of the new 2014 AP here:
http://www.watch-insider.com/news/si...uet-novelties/

The new ROO looks very modern and nice, while the PT Tourbillon ROO, Millenary and white ceramic 44mm novelty looks fantastic!
I suspect the new ROO will be selling like hot cake...
orangedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 10:25 PM   #110
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Some more pictures (that are actually rather flattering, for the most part):

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 10:33 PM   #111
robisan
"TRF" Member

Nice pics, that all gold AP ROO with gold bracelet must weigh a ton.lol
robisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 10:43 PM   #112
Dcmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDS View Post
This is the new diver
Is this a joke!
Dcmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 10:47 PM   #113
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Old 21 January 2014, 11:10 PM   #114
boursachi
"TRF" Member

as a guy who's owned 4 ROOs, i can now see that AP have definitely succeeded in pulling in new customers with no ROOs in their history
this is a great move for the brand in terms of exposure

now that i think back, i think the 42 Panda came out in SIHH 2009, correct? it was a MUST HAVE for me
i did not care that it was steel and in fact i absolutely loved the heft and weight
and i still do

it is just that after trying Ceramic, Carbon, and Rubber bezels all this time later that i have now realized i need Ceramet at least and will not go back to Steel .. from the looks of it, i will not go back to Rubber either

so in essence, perhaps the 4 new ROOs .. and i am sorry to say .. is not for us guys here on TRF AP? but for the previous-ourselves whom have been attracted to the ROO in particular given their freshness compared to the market starting from 2003 or so

after sleeping on it, i can see how they would want to skim the market still and keep the 42s with ceramic/ceramet/carbon to be limited editions or limited production

all new 4 roos are nice but none of them will draw me away from getting a Bumblebee again if i had to revisit the 42 scene
boursachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 11:27 PM   #115
orangedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by boursachi View Post
as a guy who's owned 4 ROOs, i can now see that AP have definitely succeeded in pulling in new customers with no ROOs in their history
this is a great move for the brand in terms of exposure

now that i think back, i think the 42 Panda came out in SIHH 2009, correct? it was a MUST HAVE for me
i did not care that it was steel and in fact i absolutely loved the heft and weight
and i still do

it is just that after trying Ceramic, Carbon, and Rubber bezels all this time later that i have now realized i need Ceramet at least and will not go back to Steel .. from the looks of it, i will not go back to Rubber either

so in essence, perhaps the 4 new ROOs .. and i am sorry to say .. is not for us guys here on TRF AP? but for the previous-ourselves whom have been attracted to the ROO in particular given their freshness compared to the market starting from 2003 or so

after sleeping on it, i can see how they would want to skim the market still and keep the 42s with ceramic/ceramet/carbon to be limited editions or limited production

all new 4 roos are nice but none of them will draw me away from getting a Bumblebee again if i had to revisit the 42 scene
x2
You are absolutely right. Most of those on TRF are seasoned AP owners who have experienced the great variety AP has to offer, and know exactly their preferences, often with escalated tastes. There is still a big market of aspiring AP lovers waiting to get a hand in the world of AP RO/ROO, and not forgetting those who chase for the latest trend and tend to "upgrade". The new SS ROO, with their modernised up-to-date look will likely to attract good sales. I've to say that my initial reaction for the new collection was like-warm. But after looking at more photos of the new ROOs, I now can't wait to see the watches in real life.
orangedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 11:42 PM   #116
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
What is so "modernized" about the design? A slight change on the crown guards or ceramic crown/pushers (instead of rubber)?

They look like very conservative changes at best. Yep, they put the same hands as the 44s and I love the dial colored date wheel (in most cases), but other than that ...

And I don't think they updated the lume material, meaning it is as weak as usual?

Caseback is obviously a winner, but give them a ceramic bezel, proper lume and they would have my money. As somebody said above ... it is not that hard. And I don't think it has anything to do with pricing, I mean ... shave a little out of those astronomical margins ...
Old 21 January 2014, 11:54 PM   #117
abnerc15
"TRF" Member

Its interesting you mentioned the lack of lume...
First reaction on seeing the white ceramic diver was that this watch will have very poor lume, if any.....
I am mentioning just the diver here cause a divers watch is expected to have considerably reasonable lume being what it is.... Would be interesting to see a lume shot in the dark
abnerc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 11:56 PM   #118
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnerc15 View Post
Its interesting you mentioned the lack of lume...
First reaction on seeing the white ceramic diver was that this watch will have very poor lume, if any.....
I am mentioning just the diver here cause a divers watch is expected to have considerably reasonable lume being what it is.... Would be interesting to see a lume shot in the dark
That white Diver is not a diver ... I am still trying to figure out what it is ...
Old 22 January 2014, 12:01 AM   #119
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
That white Diver is not a diver ... I am still trying to figure out what it is ...
I wish I could have seen the meeting where someone presented this design...and the execs said...'yes, you've nailed it...let's produce it.'
Old 22 January 2014, 12:05 AM   #120
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
I wish I could have seen the meeting where someone presented this design...and the execs said...'yes, you've nailed it...let's produce it.'
The execs were Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles.
conkers is online now   Reply With Quote