The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 September 2019, 02:19 AM   #1
cgaites
"TRF" Member

Purchase a Pelagos to get Explorer for 40th birthday?

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum, so let me start by apologizing for starting another thread related to the great stainless steel shortage. I'll try to keep this short.

I visited my local AD last week to try on both the new Seamaster 300M and a blue Tudor Pelagos. I plan to purchase one of these two watches in the next few weeks. During the conversation, I happened to mention that I was hoping to get myself an Explorer for my 40th birthday which is ~10 months away.

This is where my question comes in. The AD told me that if I bought the Pelagos, then he could make sure I get my Explorer by my birthday. No such deal with the Seamaster. I guess the Seamaster is already a hot seller being that it is pretty new.

So, is my AD scamming me here? Anyway to get this in writing or otherwise guarantee it? If not for the potential to get the Explorer, I'm about 75% sure I'd go with the Seamaster. Whether I end up picking the Pelagos or the Seamaster, I was planning to go 2nd hand and save myself ~$1K. However, would greatly prefer to go new for a Rolex given how often, and how well, they are faked these days, and will put myself "on the list" either way and hope for the best.

Thanks!
cgaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 04:53 AM   #2
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaites View Post
Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum, so let me start by apologizing for starting another thread related to the great stainless steel shortage. I'll try to keep this short.

I visited my local AD last week to try on both the new Seamaster 300M and a blue Tudor Pelagos. I plan to purchase one of these two watches in the next few weeks. During the conversation, I happened to mention that I was hoping to get myself an Explorer for my 40th birthday which is ~10 months away.

This is where my question comes in. The AD told me that if I bought the Pelagos, then he could make sure I get my Explorer by my birthday. No such deal with the Seamaster. I guess the Seamaster is already a hot seller being that it is pretty new.

So, is my AD scamming me here? Anyway to get this in writing or otherwise guarantee it? If not for the potential to get the Explorer, I'm about 75% sure I'd go with the Seamaster. Whether I end up picking the Pelagos or the Seamaster, I was planning to go 2nd hand and save myself ~$1K. However, would greatly prefer to go new for a Rolex given how often, and how well, they are faked these days, and will put myself "on the list" either way and hope for the best.

Thanks!
OK, first of all, I believe your AD can get you an Explorer by your birthday. Those aren't that desired and if you get on WL I assume 10 months is more than enough to get one. Now, if I were you I'd get a Pelagos or a Seamaster if you actually like it, but not at AD, as you stated, you can easily save a 1000 bucks buying from a reputable grey. Then I'd get on the WL at different ADs around your area and try get an Explorer at MSRP. Worst case scenario, you'll just get an Explorer at a slight premium from someone like DSW. Just my 2 cents.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:19 AM   #3
GeoffS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
If you like the blue Pelagos then buy it. Personally, I love it. I would fully expect the AD to keep their promise and get you the Explorer by your birthday, but they won't put it in writing (not least because they don't control the stock they receive from the mothership). If you keep a presence (regular-ish walk-ins, calls, email - but without being an annoying pest) then I'd be amazed if you don't get the Explorer. If you are not that fussy about the Pelagos then don't but it and just talk to multiple ADs about the Explorer and pretty sure you will get one. They are not that hard to find.
GeoffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:22 AM   #4
bobbyandy
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF. It's great to hear that you are planning ahead and you've got 10 months to get things worked out.

I bet you can get an Explorer from an AD if go in (in person) and tell them your story - 40th b-day, always wanted a Rolex, etc. Just be genuine and tell them about your story.

I don't think you should have to purchase something else to get a chance at an Explorer. If the AD is pushing that, I'd find another AD.

I had great luck with a small AD and my first (only) Rolex - wanted a BLNR for my 50th with no prior purchases and no pressure was put on me to bundle. You need to find the right AD -small, family owned is probably your best chance.

Good luck on your quest. I bet it will happen with months to spare. Happy 40th in advance!
bobbyandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:23 AM   #5
Jhowton23
"TRF" Member

although there is a decision to be made..... i really dont see any bad way to go. both the pelagos and seamaster are amazing (still have the seamaster and love it- but i do regret selling the pelagos as well) and the explorer is a great watch- but is pretty accessible. do what makes the most sense to you
Jhowton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:30 AM   #6
Paulr1980
"TRF" Member

I’ve got both and they’re a wonderful pairing. If you’re in a position to then I’d do it. You want both watches anyway!

Plus it’s the start of a relationship with your AD. If you do decide you want another piece he knows you’re serious.
Paulr1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:31 AM   #7
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
I would buy this from a reseller or private sale, rather than engage in buying something just to be offered a future purchase. Just as info, the 214270 had small hands when first introduced in 39 mm, then the hands were changed to longer hands, then the dial changed to have more lume. Unless you really want the Pelagos, I wouldn't do it. If you really want the Pelagos then buy it and wait for Explorer. If you have to buy from AD, then go visit a few others and see what they say about the Explorer maybe walk in and get lucky.
Old 17 September 2019, 05:56 AM   #8
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Go for the Explorer from the start. If you have to buy it new from a trusted seller the markup if any is minimal and no tax. If you buy a Seamaster at an AD and dont love it enough to keep it you'll probably take a bath on it.
I bought my MC300 new with a big discount from a grey dealer, warranty card and all, I never bonded or really wore it (my fault) and I feel lucky selling it now and losing 1k in the process.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:59 AM   #9
cgaites
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. I think this confirmed my suspicions that I shouldn’t pay undue mind to the impact of the Pelagos purchase on access to the Explorer. If I end up picking the Pelagos over the Seamaster, I’ll simply give the AD a chance to earn my business on that watch in isolation. Looks like 2nd hand prices are not far off of grey prices at the moment, so If I can get within a couple hundred bucks of the grey price I’ll go new via the AD. Otherwise, I’ll broaden my shopping.

Have a great day.
cgaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 06:43 AM   #10
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Go TS/gray for them all. FWIW I traded my pelagos (+cash) for a seamaster 300M and was very pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 06:51 AM   #11
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaites View Post
Hi all,

Thanks!

You should be able to get an Explorer anywhere I would think. I've even seen them sitting in the case of AD's here and there.

My most important piece of advice is this... Never buy something just because you think it will bump you up on the list.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 08:34 AM   #12
Justingtr
"TRF" Member

I've seen Explorers sitting in display cases. It should be one of the easier models to get.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Justingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 08:40 AM   #13
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Explorer's are easier to get.

Don't buy one watch just to get another.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 09:04 AM   #14
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
I would buy this from a reseller or private sale, rather than engage in buying something just to be offered a future purchase. Just as info, the 214270 had small hands when first introduced in 39 mm, then the hands were changed to longer hands, then the dial changed to have more lume. Unless you really want the Pelagos, I wouldn't do it. If you really want the Pelagos then buy it and wait for Explorer. If you have to buy from AD, then go visit a few others and see what they say about the Explorer maybe walk in and get lucky.
Agree. Don’t be cajoled into buying the Pelagos just to get the Explorer....
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 09:11 AM   #15
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Sounds like a package deal to me but it couldn’t hurt since you were already interested in the Pelagos to begin with. If you were interested solely in the explorer, I would either tell them that’s what I want and am paying for, or walk away and go grey.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote