The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 September 2019, 05:41 AM   #31
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
You must have missed the period when the Milgauss was super hyped up and loved.
I think the green crystal Milgauss might have been the first non-Daytona Rolex to command a premium in the secondary market. I remember how hot it was when it came out. I was always “meh” on it

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:41 AM   #32
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

You are easily influenced by others. Use forums to look at the pics and learn about watches. I would go back to Milgauss and would not care what anyone thinks.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:44 AM   #33
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
most of the people who contribute to this forum seem to be, you know, slightly above average.
Thanks for the compliment
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:44 AM   #34
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakeroatmeal View Post
Thanks for understanding, you are the first really to echo my sentiments... I know that this mostly boils down to a ME problem, but I'm sure its not just me that wrestles with this.
It’s really not a problem per say (my opinion). It's natural.... I collect many things, including watches, and one thing I’ve learned is that in collecting preferences always evolve. It’s part of the joy. You collect a bit, learn more, collect a bit more, learn a bit more. Repeat repeat. I find it the most fun when it all comes full circle back to where you started or when everyone starts chasing something you’ve always liked that was never previously popular.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:45 AM   #35
dkast85
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR 116710
The reason why the GMT on a jubilee is selling for $17,000+ is because people on the internet told you to like it that much. The GMT, as I understand it, has always been a popular model because it’s a great tool and a classic rolex. But it has recently gotten out of hand because everyone decided that one and a few others are the only watches that are worth a damn. Everything else is stupid to these people. But ask someone who knows nothing about the online rolex community and they won’t think of the BLNR as that much more “special” than any other rolex. A guy I work with wants a nice watch and was looking at rolex watches. He was looking at Datejusts and DD’s. Just for my own benefit, I told him to look up the BLNR, BLRO and the green submariner. He said they didn’t do much for him. Not that he hated them. He just said they didn’t suit him well.

A few weeks go by and he tells me he joined a bunch of rolex facebook groups, browses on here, goes on the watches subreddit, as well as the rolex subreddit, and then randomly, he has a taste for the BLNR, BLRO and the green submariner. In other words, his tastes changed when he realized what the tastes of others were. His tastes that were completely independent of everyone else were the “undesirable”/”boring” watches that are **gasp** easy to obtain.
dkast85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:58 AM   #36
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkast85 View Post
The reason why the GMT on a jubilee is selling for $17,000+ is because people on the internet told you to like it that much. The GMT, as I understand it, has always been a popular model because it’s a great tool and a classic rolex. But it has recently gotten out of hand because everyone decided that one and a few others are the only watches that are worth a damn. Everything else is stupid to these people. But ask someone who knows nothing about the online rolex community and they won’t think of the BLNR as that much more “special” than any other rolex. A guy I work with wants a nice watch and was looking at rolex watches. He was looking at Datejusts and DD’s. Just for my own benefit, I told him to look up the BLNR, BLRO and the green submariner. He said they didn’t do much for him. Not that he hated them. He just said they didn’t suit him well.

A few weeks go by and he tells me he joined a bunch of rolex facebook groups, browses on here, goes on the watches subreddit, as well as the rolex subreddit, and then randomly, he has a taste for the BLNR, BLRO and the green submariner. In other words, his tastes changed when he realized what the tastes of others were. His tastes that were completely independent of everyone else were the “undesirable”/”boring” watches that are **gasp** easy to obtain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sheep_off_cliff.jpg (59.8 KB, 62 views)
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:59 AM   #37
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
The flip side of the OP’s issue is when you have exactly the watches you want, don’t want any others, and are content. I’m in that spot and it is wonderful.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 06:05 AM   #38
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailhunter View Post
The flip side of the OP’s issue is when you have exactly the watches you want, don’t want any others, and are content. I’m in that spot and it is wonderful.
I'm so jealous! I hope to be there one day...
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 07:28 AM   #39
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Here is a thread I started 2 years ago. Sometimes a break is good. Trying to keep up with the next watch can ruin the hobby for you. Enjoy your watch
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=552006
Old 17 September 2019, 08:17 AM   #40
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
This forum is like a club and if something is not that desired by the club or the cool kidz it can lose its appeal, that's human nature, but at day's end it is you who has to wear and live with the watch so you soon realise you shouldn't buy something that is or to become popular, same as school really, you grow up and out of it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 08:31 AM   #41
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Good thread.

I've always liked Rolex but never wanted to commit the funds as I have other hobbies and my MKII's and Omega's have scratched that itch. I always wanted an Explorer, the 1016 reference just said "I'm a cool watch". Then I saw the pricing of them once I started looking

Figured if I'll spend that much just get a new model and "get the Sub / It's timeless / etc.." is what everyone on the boards said.

So I started with the crown by getting a 114060. Pretty soon realized that the older reference had more in line with my "end in mind" for what I wanted that watch to be. So I traded it for a full kit 14060M.

Then I decided to snag a 214270 (still have it) and love it. After realizing the Sub was getting zero wrist time and the market skyrocketed I sold it. Then I realized a few months later that no matter what other divers I have and enjoy I wanted a Sub in the collection. That said with today's pricing it would have to be a good deal before I bought another one (gave up hope as prices kept rising).

I made a list of what I liked about the 6 digit Subs and the 5 digit subs. So I had a set of criteria based on what I learned from owning both references. This criteria had to be met along with a good price for me to fork over the cash.

- Lug Holes
- 2000+ model year
- SEL
- Not a safe queen as I am going to actually wear and enjoy it

This forum as well as other sources led me to research what is available out there from the factory and what is possible with slight mods (using 100% OEM parts) to make the ultimate piece - for me.

Pinned it down to 2001-2003 16610's. It checked all the boxes and had the benefit of having the date (not on criteria) but it had the ugly cyclops. I do not like it so there is that.

Fate aligned and I got a deal on a 2001 16610 to which I promptly knocked the cyclops off and I'm finally "at peace" with my collection as I have two watches that check all the boxes when it comes to Rolex watches.

Both have been slightly modded to make them mine (screw you watch speculators!) and to enjoy even more. The 214270 had the bezel brushed by Mike and Co. @ RolliWorks and I've knocked off the cyclops on the 16610 and have a set of 16610LV Maxi hands enroute for it. I did the same mod on my 14060M and it turned out great.

Moral of the story? Sometimes you have to own / wear / connect with a watch over time to get a better understanding of what you are looking for when it comes to ownership. Flipping is a necessary evil unless you have the capital / access to own different watches at a given time.

The first one: 114060 with matte bezel mod by LA WatchWorks

The second one: 14060M with 114060 Maxi Hands by Rik

Third addition: 214270 with bezel brushed by RolliWorks (keeper)

Final Sub: 16610 with cyclops removed and soon to have maxi hands

Surely you guys didn't marry up the first woman in your life.....
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 09:16 AM   #42
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
My first love was the 16570 polar. I passed and it took me several years to get one I wanted. the interim was filled with pieces trying to "replace" it. along the way I found a couple that I loved as much too. Those "replacement" watches were a waste of money and time.

Find your collecting philosophy. Mine is based around my interests of military, history, travel.

Social media is great, when you have a direction. Until then, it's just noise and wind. don't let it blow you off course.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote