Oh yeah, we stole wood as well
The word is reive...
Old 13 September 2019, 05:24 AM   #932
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Whats the retail on the non US distributed blantons - good data for when i'm abroad?

So, I found the Gold for about $104 and the SFTB for about $115. Those were both in Poland and I brought them through US customs easily.

Must Have Malts is a great option, prices were not much different, but shipping isn’t cheap...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 05:27 AM   #933
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
First time seeing this must have malts. Looks like they are abroad, what is the shipping time like?

Shipping was quick, via DHL. I think I got it delivered at my office (signature required) within 2-3 days. Much faster than expected, but it was £70 for two bottles.

Old 13 September 2019, 05:31 AM   #934
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
Shipping was quick, via DHL. I think I got it delivered at my office (signature required) within 2-3 days. Much faster than expected, but it was £70 for two bottles.

Thats awesome, they seem to have a lot of hard to get stuff that I do not see locally. Nice find, thanks!
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 11:43 AM   #935
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 12:14 PM   #936
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So, I found the Gold for about $104 and the SFTB for about $115. Those were both in Poland and I brought them through US customs easily.

Must Have Malts is a great option, prices were not much different, but shipping isn’t cheap...

Ty
Old 14 September 2019, 12:16 PM   #937
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Love my blantons!

Old 14 September 2019, 04:53 PM   #938
DrewYoung
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
I haven't been able to find a thread on whisky (there's one for wine), and surely there're some whisky lovers here!?
I am the biggest lover of it. But I don't have its picture to share with you all. But not every time, but while watching some series or movies I like to have it with me.
DrewYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 03:44 AM   #939
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
Love my blantons!

Nice haul! Blanton's is definitely up in my Top 3 favorites, as well. I have two Golds, three SFTB (one with a dump date close to my kiddo's birth, so I'm saving that one), and another 4-5 standard Single Barrels. I'm slowly running out of room, Blanton's bottles take up a lot of space!
Old 15 September 2019, 06:33 AM   #940
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Nice haul! Blanton's is definitely up in my Top 3 favorites, as well. I have two Golds, three SFTB (one with a dump date close to my kiddo's birth, so I'm saving that one), and another 4-5 standard Single Barrels. I'm slowly running out of room, Blanton's bottles take up a lot of space!
I got lucky and picked up the case, I never had the non us variants though, would love to try. If anyone has a lead or wants to do a swap trade I dunno a TRF type brotherly love type deal. Just cracked bottle #4.
Old 15 September 2019, 06:35 AM   #941
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Old 15 September 2019, 07:32 AM   #942
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
I got lucky and picked up the case, I never had the non us variants though, would love to try. If anyone has a lead or wants to do a swap trade I dunno a TRF type brotherly love type deal. Just cracked bottle #4.
Check out Must Have Malts, out of the Netherlands. I picked up the Gold and SFTB from them (750 ml bottles out of Japan, not the standard 70 cl bottles for ROW). They're about the cheapest I've found, but shipping wasn't cheap. That said, they were wrapped for Armageddon... no chance of breakage in transit.
Old 15 September 2019, 02:08 PM   #943
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Sunday afternoon drink

Vishy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 12:55 AM   #944
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Check out Must Have Malts, out of the Netherlands. I picked up the Gold and SFTB from them (750 ml bottles out of Japan, not the standard 70 cl bottles for ROW). They're about the cheapest I've found, but shipping wasn't cheap. That said, they were wrapped for Armageddon... no chance of breakage in transit.
Thank you, I will keep an eye out during international travel, since i'm flush with the standard for the time being.
Old 16 September 2019, 08:01 AM   #945
uperhemi
"TRF" Member

Tullamore does just fine for me most of the times...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
uperhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 12:18 PM   #946
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Happy Old fashioned Sunday (rittenhouse rye)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 16 September 2019, 09:53 PM   #947
Malak
"TRF" Member

my new Laphi

Malak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 12:23 AM   #948
ashbaug2
Banned

Tried a few Scotches that I'd never had at a nice bar in Poznan, Poland, while I was there last week. They are obviously bigger on Scotch than on Bourbon, so I had to be adventurous and try a few I might not have otherwise. I'm happy to say that I enjoyed them all!

1) Loch Lomond Inchmurrin 12 Year
2) Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 Year
3) Glenfiddich 18 Year

Of these, my favorite was the Loch Lomond, although the Balvenie was a close second. I've looked and can't find the Loch Lomond Inchmurrin, so I will probably pick up the Balvenie Caribbean Cask to have around the house. My Scotch repertoire is not that big. I enjoy Oban, as my dad got me on to it before he passed. The Highland malts are definitely easier for me to drink, as a Bourbon enthusiast, than the smokey-peaty Islays.

I also picked up two Bourbons yesterday (my first day off since traveling...). My local spot finally got two cases of Old Ezra 7 year Barrel Proof, so I got one to try.

They also had a smoking deal on the 9-year Knob Creek 120 proof, so I picked that up, too. I plan to do a side-by-side tasting of several Jim Beam offerings to compare. I currently have the Basil Hayden 10 Year, a couple of different Booker's, Baker's 7 107-proof, Old Grand Dad 114, two different Knob Creeks, and a Jim Beam Bonded. Should make for an interesting flight!
Old 17 September 2019, 01:12 AM   #949
mmutte
2024 Pledge Member

What would be a fair price to pay for pappy 15 and VW family reserve 12?
mmutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 01:17 AM   #950
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmutte View Post
What would be a fair price to pay for pappy 15 and VW family reserve 12?
You won't find one. Prices have exploded and are marked up way past their worth. If you're looking to put it on a shelf and show it off, I guess it doesn't really matter what you pay. If you're going to drink it, the only option is find one at retail (around $125-175). Unfortunately, the gross majority of those bottles are being picked up and flipped for 10x their retail.

On top of that, many say that Pappy isn't what it used to be since Buffalo Trace picked up their production. I can't really argue the point as I haven't had any of the old stuff. I do know that if I had $1500 to spend on a bottle of booze, it wouldn't be on Pappy...

EDIT: If you DO happen to find a bottle of 15 year Pappy higher than retail but in the sub-$500 range, I would be very, very suspect of its authenticity. With the internet, it's very easy to find the current market value, although I'm not sure many are actually selling at the inflated prices. If you see someone with a bottle listed for some crazy amount, it wouldn't hurt to make a reasonable (to you) offer and see what they say.
Old 17 September 2019, 03:41 AM   #951
mmutte
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You won't find one. Prices have exploded and are marked up way past their worth. If you're looking to put it on a shelf and show it off, I guess it doesn't really matter what you pay. If you're going to drink it, the only option is find one at retail (around $125-175). Unfortunately, the gross majority of those bottles are being picked up and flipped for 10x their retail.

On top of that, many say that Pappy isn't what it used to be since Buffalo Trace picked up their production. I can't really argue the point as I haven't had any of the old stuff. I do know that if I had $1500 to spend on a bottle of booze, it wouldn't be on Pappy...

EDIT: If you DO happen to find a bottle of 15 year Pappy higher than retail but in the sub-$500 range, I would be very, very suspect of its authenticity. With the internet, it's very easy to find the current market value, although I'm not sure many are actually selling at the inflated prices. If you see someone with a bottle listed for some crazy amount, it wouldn't hurt to make a reasonable (to you) offer and see what they say.

I should’ve put this in prior post—I have an acquaintance with the above two bottles looking to sell. I don’t know him personally, only through business. No reason to suspect fake bottles. I haven’t asked what his prices are, was going to try and find a realistic number before I moved further in the possible purchasing process.
Old 17 September 2019, 04:54 AM   #952
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
I should’ve put this in prior post—I have an acquaintance with the above two bottles looking to sell. I don’t know him personally, only through business. No reason to suspect fake bottles. I haven’t asked what his prices are, was going to try and find a realistic number before I moved further in the possible purchasing process.
You should probably ask him what his price is first, because if he's selling and even remotely knows what he has, he's no fool and probably wants the "market" price for them. Which is all subjective, by the way. Anyone can go online, see what people are asking and think they can get that much; I would make the point that virtually none are selling at those prices.

Depending on how he got them (secondary market or retail/lottery), he may have a minimum he's looking to get, with some possible wiggle room just to be able to offload them. If that's the case, I would personally shoot for no more than $1000 for both. But I'm cheap.
Old 17 September 2019, 05:23 AM   #953
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Just got home from Scotland (camping with Johny, fellow TRF member.) and I went to my favourite distillery, Lagavulin!
Johny and his wife wouldn't even let me pay for the tour, they're very kind and generous

Now some pictures

Also had a quick look at the Tobermory distillery in Tobermory, Isle of Mull. Didn't do a tour there but I'd definitely like to try some of their Scotch!

SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 09:03 AM   #954
mmutte
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You should probably ask him what his price is first, because if he's selling and even remotely knows what he has, he's no fool and probably wants the "market" price for them. Which is all subjective, by the way. Anyone can go online, see what people are asking and think they can get that much; I would make the point that virtually none are selling at those prices.

Depending on how he got them (secondary market or retail/lottery), he may have a minimum he's looking to get, with some possible wiggle room just to be able to offload them. If that's the case, I would personally shoot for no more than $1000 for both. But I'm cheap.
Thanks—very helpful info
I’ll let you know how it shakes out!

Old 17 September 2019, 10:17 AM   #955
Tommyk
"TRF" Member

^ Love the smokey peat of the Lagavulin 16. Looks like an amazing trip
Tommyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 01:13 AM   #956
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
VW Rye is going for $1500, and PVW15 is going for the same.

YMMV on what he wants to sell it for.
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 04:36 AM   #957
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexinfl View Post
VW Rye is going for $1500, and PVW15 is going for the same.

YMMV on what he wants to sell it for.

I would say a little hot on these prices. I am very active in MeWe / Facebook secondary markets.

PVW15 is fetching 900-1200; depending on year, condition, etc.

VWFR Rye is fetching $1100-$1250 depending

Risk with these groups is it’s all trust based and it’s not like you are buying from an established company or face to face person most of the time. I have done a decent amount of deals on the pages and always get references, etc. However, I haven’t dealt with any bottle above $300.

Old 18 September 2019, 04:37 AM   #958
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

New to me today! Traded Wild Turkey Cornerstone for the KO Rye Batch 1 and Michter Toasted Bourbon!

Toasted vertical is now complete!

Old 18 September 2019, 09:22 AM   #959
wantonebad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Just got home from Scotland (camping with Johny, fellow TRF member.) and I went to my favourite distillery, Lagavulin!
Johny and his wife wouldn't even let me pay for the tour, they're very kind and generous

Now some pictures

Very jealous Bas, looks like a blast!!!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 04:04 PM   #960
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyk View Post
^ Love the smokey peat of the Lagavulin 16. Looks like an amazing trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Very jealous Bas, looks like a blast!!!
It was great!
I tried the 12yo and distillers edition, both are excellent and I will get them once I've cleared a few other bottles
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote