The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 September 2019, 02:02 PM   #1
halfmacgas
"TRF" Member

Adding AR crystal 16610

Hi all,

Been collecting watches a couple of years and recently got a nice 1999 Swiss only dial 16610.

Im figuring out the lack of AR on the crystal is really disappointing for me! I didn't even know Rolex doesnt use it.

I'm hoping to make a rare exception to my general rule and mod the watch, since I'm mostly using it as a nice tool watch and functionality is key.

Anyone here know if Rolex uses a full AR coating (even if it's just the underside) on any other crystals that could fit the 16610? Alternatively, if anyone is aware of any aftermarket crystals that have AR coating that could fit? Or last resort, I could get a service crystal and see if anyone could add AR to that?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
halfmacgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 04:22 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
The only AR coating on any modern Rolex is under the cyclops beneath the crystal not the whole crystal.And will add its pointless having AR on the crystal top surface as its easily marked if marked then it will stand out like a sore thumb.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 04:46 PM   #3
BigJaJa
"TRF" Member

I have an omega that is double treated (both sides of crystal AR coated). Man it is beautiful. Many angles looking at it, it’s as if the crystal isn’t there. Los surprisingly it doesn’t mark. I say this because the case and bezel have lots of dings and scratches but the crystal (touch wood) so far doesn’t.

So if you can get a decent AR treatment then I highly recommend, not sure about modding watches though.
BigJaJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 07:15 PM   #4
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Rolex uses double sided AR on the cyclops of the 216570. It can scuff or wear off on top of the cyclops. Ask me how I know
Old 16 September 2019, 11:52 PM   #5
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Rolex has them - now can you get one is another story.

Folks have posted the pics of it being in the system, but there is no known use of them in production models.

I'd love inner AR coating as it would bring Rolex into 2019 like everyone else. They won't do it though.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 11:04 AM   #6
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Buy a crystal and send it out to have the AR applied.

Swap it out and keep the original in case it doesn’t work out...

https://www.nacl.com/industrial-opti...SAAEgLROPD_BwE
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 11:40 AM   #7
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Save the mods for your seiko brother!
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 04:02 PM   #8
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Had an Omega POC with double AR.. while the crystal was totally invisible I don’t think it was a good thing at all. Like having a piece missing.

I want to see the crystal. It’s a part of the watch. Catches the light, looks different at different angles all the way from transparent to opaque.

Can’t help thinking that demands for AR and display casebacks or whatnot to ‘catch up’ are missing the point somewhat.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 04:45 PM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Rolex uses double sided AR on the cyclops of the 216570. It can scuff or wear off on top of the cyclops. Ask me how I know
How do you know?
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 07:15 PM   #10
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
How do you know?
Old 17 September 2019, 07:20 PM   #11
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmacgas View Post
Hi all,

Been collecting watches a couple of years and recently got a nice 1999 Swiss only dial 16610.

Im figuring out the lack of AR on the crystal is really disappointing for me! I didn't even know Rolex doesnt use it.

I'm hoping to make a rare exception to my general rule and mod the watch, since I'm mostly using it as a nice tool watch and functionality is key.

Anyone here know if Rolex uses a full AR coating (even if it's just the underside) on any other crystals that could fit the 16610? Alternatively, if anyone is aware of any aftermarket crystals that have AR coating that could fit? Or last resort, I could get a service crystal and see if anyone could add AR to that?

Have a look in the modified rolex thread. There might be something in it.
Old 17 September 2019, 07:42 PM   #12
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
The last two 5 digit watches I’ve sent to Rolex (Dallas & NYC) needed their crystals replaced. Both were replaced with AR coated ones. I didn’t ask for AR but did notice it stated on the service quote. E.g.
“SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL D29.5 1.8 CYCLOPS ANTI-REFL &GASK. $180)

For me, having it on 1 side is good enough. Big welcomed difference between especially for the date.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 08:12 PM   #13
e dantes
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
The last two 5 digit watches I’ve sent to Rolex (Dallas & NYC) needed their crystals replaced. Both were replaced with AR coated ones. I didn’t ask for AR but did notice it stated on the service quote. E.g.
“SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL D29.5 1.8 CYCLOPS ANTI-REFL &GASK. $180)

For me, having it on 1 side is good enough. Big welcomed difference between especially for the date.
I believe that AR is just on the cyclops.

I have a watch from another brand with AR. It makes the crystal almost invisible from many angles. I like this as it puts the focus on the dial and hands. If done well, which Rolex certainly could do, it enhances the watch (in my opinion).
e dantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 08:23 PM   #14
halfmacgas
"TRF" Member

Yeah honestly I much prefer the AR. I had a Hamilton before which I loved except for the lack of AR. I have had somwhere around 20 or 30 watches in the last couple of Years so far and am starting to know what I prefer. I've tried looking at the Rolex with my polaroid sunglasses on which is supposed to be like having AR, and prefer the look. I just want to figure out how to get high quality AR that's worthy of the watch. And honestly I wouldn't care if it scratched up a lot, I would be OK with even just changing the crystal out every few years to keep it fresh, I just get annoyed by the reflections with so much gloss on the dial already

halfmacgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 09:03 PM   #15
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmacgas View Post
Yeah honestly I much prefer the AR. I had a Hamilton before which I loved except for the lack of AR. I have had somwhere around 20 or 30 watches in the last couple of Years so far and am starting to know what I prefer. I've tried looking at the Rolex with my polaroid sunglasses on which is supposed to be like having AR, and prefer the look. I just want to figure out how to get high quality AR that's worthy of the watch. And honestly I wouldn't care if it scratched up a lot, I would be OK with even just changing the crystal out every few years to keep it fresh, I just get annoyed by the reflections with so much gloss on the dial already

Hi

Perhaps you could ask at camera or optician shops.
Old 17 September 2019, 09:14 PM   #16
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
Save the mods for your seiko brother!
Why? My Rolex mods have been far more enjoyable than any seiko mods.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote