The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 January 2012, 02:59 PM   #31
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
Oh roger, if you want to play with VMs i would like to suggest oracles Virtual Box. its the best free VM out there next to the paid ones like Citrix and VMware.
FNFZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 03:38 PM   #32
smartson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNFZ4 View Post
Oh roger, if you want to play with VMs i would like to suggest oracles Virtual Box. its the best free VM out there next to the paid ones like Citrix and VMware.
Alfredo, thanks for the suggestion.

I asked one of my techie to setup the laptop as as demo system that I can take to client meeting, hoping to run 3 VMs on it: MSSQL, Oracle and our App. It is 2008 R2 Enterprise. We could get it setup but CPU is high even with 1 VM running no load. I took the machine over and did some test. Basically,
  • Fresh installed w2008 Enterprise, no problem
  • Got Windows 7 drivers to work, no problem
  • Enabled Intel Hyper-Threading at BIOS, ok
  • Enabled w2008 Hyper-V,....wowowowo....CPU averaged 40% before adding VM
Even though we got VMs installed but I am rather disappointed at the overall performance. One can argue that we got the wrong HW for it.

At this stage I am convince Hyper-v is not for laptop, at least not an HP i5-2410m. So I disabled Hyper-v. CPU load becomes nominal. I will just install all the DB and app on the host windows 2008.
Seiko SDGM001
smartson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 05:24 PM   #33
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

if youre using it as to demo why not set it up in a real server environment in the office and RDP or Logmein into it?:) in that environment, you can setup 3 VMs... it will be the same thing and the load will be on the local host not on the laptop. only issue that i see is that if you dont have internet connection 24-7 with your laptop. i was issued an iphone with unlimited tethering paid by the company for going out of town or while im servicing other operations.

there has to be something wrong with the way the server 2008 was setup if its utilizing 40% of processing power at clean install. have him install windows XP then install virtualbox and in VB install R2 ent with MSSQL. try that path... also look at the system processes and give me the process thats eating the CPU resource.
Old 27 February 2012, 04:19 AM   #34
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Ahh my First Customer LOL
Yes it is possible. If im not mistaken, yours is an AMD machine right not Intel... please open the Machine and look at the Motherboard. if your motherboard is ASUS A8AE-LE or AmberineM-GL6E, then you would need a socket 939 Processor. the only AMD Dual core you can put in it AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+.
however, speed isnt all about processors. that is a misconception with computers and have become a marketing scheme. Although Processing power does affect the overall performance of the system, it only accounts for 30% of the relative performance. the other 40% is based on the Hard Drive. you want a speed boost? Change the hard drive to Western Digitals Velocity Raptor!!! 10000 RPM(revolutions per minute). unless you do alot of multi tasking or video editing and photoshop, you really dont need a dual core. it depends on what you use the machine for. if you will be running Windows 7 then Dual core is the minimum.
Check this Link out.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...ct=1118242#N85
Buy the processor at Circuitcity.com or tigerdirect.com Newegg charges tax so i dont like them.
I wish I was not born... BC... so I could understand what my new friend Alfredo is talking about
...I bet you though.... I can beat him in backgammon.
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2012, 04:32 AM   #35
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Alfredo! Way too cool dude!

I'm a physician, but could not download my way out of anything. So cool to "meet" a tech expert.

I also like the BMW/Rolex/Porsche combo.

Welcome aboard!
Old 27 February 2012, 11:22 AM   #36
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempoKing View Post
I wish I was not born... BC... so I could understand what my new friend Alfredo is talking about
...I bet you though.... I can beat him in backgammon.
LOL I bet you can...

What dont you understand so I can clarify it. Sorry if its vague...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_KNIGHT View Post
Alfredo! Way too cool dude!

I'm a physician, but could not download my way out of anything. So cool to "meet" a tech expert.

I also like the BMW/Rolex/Porsche combo.

Welcome aboard!
Dark Knight... love that Handle...

First, I dont want to be considered as a Tech Expert. HEHEHE. There are so many things in the field to have a real "Tech Expert" But When it comes to Windows and Mac I would like to think 12 years of experience can help out some of our forum members here.

what do you mean you cant download anything? Do you mean you cant download anything from your internet browser?

Watches:
Patek 5205G | Patek 5167A | 16613 Serti | 116718 Green | 216570 Black | 16700 Pepsi

Wish list:
Patek 5726/1 | AP RG Ceramic | Patek 5712 | Patek 5130
Old 2 March 2012, 10:59 AM   #37
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610,116233,OsQz
Alfredo, you dropped me a line over on my regulation thread, figured I'd visit your 'home' thread and say hello.

I mentioned over there that I do computer stuff for works as well (I assume you do too) and as others have said, what a fantastic gesture. I am not sure I would have the patience to run the gauntlet and answer a potential flood of questions!

Hats off to you sir. *salute*
LordNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2012, 11:08 AM   #38
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Chris,

First of all thank you for your visit.

I am a new member here but I have learned so much about watches and Rolex in general in a short span of time. I always believe in giving back to a community that has given so much to me. You are also doing the same thing. By sharing your experience with a watch regulation I have learned tons about how to regulate a watch. Now all I need are the tools and a used mechanical movement. I wont dare do it on my Rolex LOL im too chicken.

Watches:
Patek 5205G | Patek 5167A | 16613 Serti | 116718 Green | 216570 Black | 16700 Pepsi

Wish list:
Old 2 March 2012, 01:04 PM   #39
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I will keep you in my Rolodex!!!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2012, 01:07 PM   #40
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

No Problem Man. Always a pleasure to help you guys out. I am sure you will do the same. Hey you gave me some good advise on vacation spots!

Watches:

Wish list:
Old 2 March 2012, 01:40 PM   #41
luv2golf

Watch: sub 116610ln
Alfredo, you are the man.
luv2golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2012, 12:20 PM   #42
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust
Who makes the best anti virus/firewall suite... Is Nortons any good?
Thurnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2012, 12:47 PM   #43
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

This is a tricky question. There are different kinds of Anti-Virus Softwares. Are you looking for and Enterprise solution? Home and Home office? Advance Users? Paid Free?

The best IMHO would be a combo of an Anti-Virus and an Anti-Spyware. The best free combination that I have used over the years are AVGFree and Malwarebytes. Comodo is another good AV if you have the patience to read the Defense+ warnings.

The problem with Symantec is its footprint. Meaning how it takes up too much resource to run. They have good products but why pay for the milk if you can get it for free. There are no evidence that paid AVs perform better than free ones.

Watches:

Wish list:
Old 5 March 2012, 04:26 AM   #44
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

It is for work pc's, so cost within reason doesn't matter too much. I agree norton can be a hog at times. One of my employees is one of those guys that opens attachments from emails.... His pc is the only one with problems too.
Old 5 March 2012, 04:34 AM   #45
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
One of the nicest threads I've seen in a long time.

Excellent!

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 05:06 AM   #46
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Well, if its for business use then we cant go avg since its just for home use. How many computers are we talking about here so i can give you a cost to benefit analysis. Your av is only as good as its updates. Regular updates and regular scans with a combination of software is the key
Old 5 March 2012, 06:41 AM   #47
bungcarlo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Hi Alfredo,

Thanks for sharing your expertise. I do have one question and hoping that you can help me resolve. My gateway touchscreen desktops keyboard, even with new batteries, won't respond anymore with the system. I tried using a corded keyboard but it doesn't work either. Some function keys ( calculator and a couple keys works for both corded and cordless keyboard ). Is it time to let this one go although it's only a couple years old or can it still be possibly fixed?
Thanks in advanced,

ps
keyboard is enabled and computer can't find any fault when troubleshooted!
bungcarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 11:53 AM   #48
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Thanks for being so nice and helping everyone.

I have a question you might be able to answer. I have a Toshiba Satellite. I am running Vista 64 bit. I also have the newest evrsion of Internet Explorer. All of a sudden my youtube account started telling me I need the newer version of Adobe Flash player.

I tried to download and install it, but it won't let me. The program says to close internet explorer, even though it is closed.

I have google chrome also and it runs the program just fine and I can watch my youtube stuff.

Why won't Internet Explorer let me upgrade my flash player?
Old 5 March 2012, 12:52 PM   #49
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungcarlo View Post
Hi Alfredo,

Thanks for sharing your expertise. I do have one question and hoping that you can help me resolve. My gateway touchscreen desktops keyboard, even with new batteries, won't respond anymore with the system. I tried using a corded keyboard but it doesn't work either. Some function keys ( calculator and a couple keys works for both corded and cordless keyboard ). Is it time to let this one go although it's only a couple years old or can it still be possibly fixed?
Thanks in advanced,

ps
keyboard is enabled and computer can't find any fault when troubleshooted!

You can try to go to device manager and remove the drivers and reinstall them.

Did you try with other USB ports? since we are talking about a wireless here then I presume this is USB. There are many factors that can make this happen.

My guess are:

Operating system corruption.
Driver corruption
Registry Corruption.

the best simple fix is to backup all the data and reimage the PC back to factory default.

I need more info please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keschete View Post
Thanks for being so nice and helping everyone.

I have a question you might be able to answer. I have a Toshiba Satellite. I am running Vista 64 bit. I also have the newest evrsion of Internet Explorer. All of a sudden my youtube account started telling me I need the newer version of Adobe Flash player.

I tried to download and install it, but it won't let me. The program says to close internet explorer, even though it is closed.

I have google chrome also and it runs the program just fine and I can watch my youtube stuff.

Why won't Internet Explorer let me upgrade my flash player?
There are many reasons why Flash will not install. you can uninstall IE restart then reinstall IE then install flash and see if that works. if not check the active X permissions. adobe installation of IE uses Active X controller.

Watches:

Wish list:
Old 5 March 2012, 01:13 PM   #50
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
There are many reasons why Flash will not install. you can uninstall IE restart then reinstall IE then install flash and see if that works. if not check the active X permissions. adobe installation of IE uses Active X controller.
THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

It was the active x controller!!!!!

I would have NEVER thought to check that!!!!

:c heers:
Old 5 March 2012, 02:08 PM   #51
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Glad I was able to help.
Old 5 March 2012, 03:18 PM   #52
bungcarlo
"TRF" Member

Thank you.
Old 5 March 2012, 03:30 PM   #53
Feras
Banned

Watch: Rolex,Tag
Welcome to TRF Alfred, it's always great to have such members :D
What about android devices?
Feras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 03:46 PM   #54
tranny
Banned

Watch: 116509,A21330,MVQV
Quote:
Change the hard drive to Western Digitals Velocity Raptor!!! 10000 RPM(revolutions per minute). unless you do alot of multi tasking or video editing and photoshop, you really dont need a dual core. it depends on what you use the machine for. if you will be running Windows 7 then Dual core is the minimum.Buy the processor at Circuitcity.com or tigerdirect.com Newegg charges tax so i dont like them.
Why not SSD?
tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 04:38 PM   #55
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feras View Post
Welcome to TRF Alfred, it's always great to have such members :D
What about android devices?
Sure I can help with android devices but I am not as good with them like Apple devices but I can get by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transio View Post
Why not SSD?
If you do a cost to benefit analysis, and technical specification comparison, what is the benefit of SSDs?

The main benefit of SSDs are its read and write speed. Did you know old drives on a Raid 0 Configuration have better read write times than the newer SSDs? Performance is such as relative term when talking about hardware. Sure, SSDs are much faster with read operations, than write operations, but the cost of that benefit exceeds the average user's requirements.

They have not perfected the technology yet. Did you know that most SSDs on the market only operates with SATA II controllers that are available in the market? if they start mass producing SATAIII for laptop Motherboards SSDs would perform about 40% faster.

Watches:

Wish list:
Old 6 March 2012, 10:50 AM   #56
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, if its for business use then we cant go avg since its just for home use. How many computers are we talking about here so i can give you a cost to benefit analysis. Your av is only as good as its updates. Regular updates and regular scans with a combination of software is the key
A Minimum of 6 pc's, a max of 11 pc's. I am also looking to update my hardware firewall with dual wan.
Old 6 March 2012, 10:55 AM   #57
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurnau View Post
A Minimum of 6 pc's, a max of 11 pc's. I am also looking to update my hardware firewall with dual wan.
you can use Avg Free. Try it and if it works for you then just upgrade to the internet security version which is the paid version. They also have great customer service.

Watches:

Wish list:
Old 7 March 2012, 07:40 AM   #58
bungcarlo
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=FNFZ4;3117589]You can try to go to device manager and remove the drivers and reinstall them.

Did you try with other USB ports? since we are talking about a wireless here then I presume this is USB. There are many factors that can make this happen.

My guess are:

Operating system corruption.
Driver corruption
Registry Corruption.

the best simple fix is to backup all the data and reimage the PC back to factory default.

Thanks for the sound advice, Alfred. Set back to factory setting and everything's back to normal again.

Erwin
Old 7 March 2012, 08:13 AM   #59
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Great... Cheers Mate

Watches:

Wish list:
Old 16 March 2012, 05:43 AM   #60
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you can use Avg Free. Try it and if it works for you then just upgrade to the internet security version which is the paid version. They also have great customer service.
Thanks!

Tags
computer , mac , pc help , server , windows