The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 September 2019, 01:18 AM   #31
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by djman View Post
I feel your pain. I've just bought a steel 5164 Aquanaut Travel Time from the London salon and have spent the last week or so studiously avoiding crowds of people, door knobs and brick walls. Every night I've been examining it and polishing it before putting it into its travel case ... I can't go on like this, I'm just going to have to strap it on and act normally, not wander around like someone with a broken arm. I find myself being much more careful with this one than the usual rolexes I bung on and forget I'm wearing.
This is my first Patek and what a lovely watch, I am just blown away by the quality and finishing. And the dial ... just wow. This is the nicest watch I've ever owned, by some margin and I've had a few high value ones in the past. I will I am sure put a ding in mine at some point and I won't be overjoyed about it, but as another poster has said, a refinish at servicing will make it brand new again. Watches are for wearing. I say go for it but take it off if you're going to do any hard manual labour! Love the look of yours btw. What a lovely looking thing.
I just noticed out of nowhere a long mark on mine on the outer bezel polished area, I'm going to cape cod it later.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 01:28 AM   #32
crack3rd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by baglady View Post
So sitting in my Kelly bag right now (I'm traveling) is a beautiful, brand new 5205R-010. The black dial makes my heart flutter. All doubts I had about this watch were laid to waste as I saw it in person and wore it on my wrist.

This watch stresses me out. The only way I can justify this financial lunacy is with the understanding that I'll likely get at least 80% of my money back if I decide to part with watch some day. Thankfully I've made so much that this shouldn't be a worry, but I don't come from wealth, and spending $40k on a watch still keeps me up at night, wondering what I would do if x,y,z,a,b,c calamity happens and I've lost all my money and need to make ends meet.

So wearing this watch stresses me out because I fear that every ding or scratch I get on it will wear down its value (and beauty). And this fear almost paralyzes me into not wearing the watch. And if I'm not going to wear the watch, why do I even own it?

Sigh. Sorry. This is why it sucks to be a woman sometimes. This is why I was reluctant to post about this watch when I bought it earlier this week. It's a huge moment for me, but one I feel that I can't fully relish because I still don't quite feel like I own the watch. The watch owns me.

Help change me!
Congratulations and wear it in good health! I am glad you were able to find the watch you like!
crack3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 04:13 AM   #33
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
You need to consult with baglady in the future. She seems to have the magic formula for selling Hermes bags. Maybe double your money instead of losing 30%.
Formula: Buy them in the EU and sell them in the US. A Birkin in Paris is around 8k EUR and in the US around $14k USD excluding taxes. Even if you consign you’ll make money, but not as much of course. I sell mine through craigslist.

Type of bag counts too: epsom leather is more durable and so will look new even 2 years later if not used much. Neutral colors are also better. Women buying their first Birkin/Kelly always try to do neutrals because they go with more outfits. I don’t touch exotics like ostrich or alligator or whatever—too much risk and much smaller pool of potential buyers.
baglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 04:25 AM   #34
marc12
Banned

Watch: Blue Steel SD
i like michael kors bags
marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 04:55 AM   #35
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc12 View Post
i like michael kors bags

I just vom'd in my mouth a little. In bags (and most things in life), you either go big or you go home. The worst values are always in the middle. The watch analogy is Rolex vs. Shinola vs. some random watch for a 10th of the price. The Rolex will tend to preserve its value, or most of it, or may fetch you more. The Shinola is worthless. And the random watch for a 10th of the price doesn't matter because you spent $100 on it.

For clothes, for example, I either do high end designer that's good quality, or shop at Uniqlo. I don't touch JCrew or Banana or all the stuff marketed in the middle of the range. Same quality as Uniqlo (if not worse), and a bit more expensive.
Old 14 September 2019, 05:12 AM   #36
marc12
Banned

Watch: Blue Steel SD
Quote:
I just vom'd in my mouth a little. In bags (and most things in life), you either go big or you go home. The worst values are always in the middle. The watch analogy is Rolex vs. Shinola vs. some random watch for a 10th of the price. The Rolex will tend to preserve its value, or most of it, or may fetch you more. The Shinola is worthless. And the random watch for a 10th of the price doesn't matter because you spent $100 on it.

For clothes, for example, I either do high end designer that's good quality, or shop at Uniqlo. I don't touch JCrew or Banana or all the stuff marketed in the middle of the range. Same quality as Uniqlo (if not worse), and a bit more expensive.
marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 05:45 AM   #37
koobitz
"TRF" Member

Lol so artsy
koobitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 05:48 AM   #38
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Be careful, a member here lives next door to Michael and his very big house...
Old 14 September 2019, 06:04 AM   #39
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Be careful, a member here lives next door to Michael and his very big house...

I was expecting a slap on the rest for the Shinola comment.
Old 14 September 2019, 05:36 PM   #40
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Formula: Buy them in the EU and sell them in the US. A Birkin in Paris is around 8k EUR and in the US around $14k USD excluding taxes. Even if you consign you’ll make money, but not as much of course. I sell mine through craigslist.

Type of bag counts too: epsom leather is more durable and so will look new even 2 years later if not used much. Neutral colors are also better. Women buying their first Birkin/Kelly always try to do neutrals because they go with more outfits. I don’t touch exotics like ostrich or alligator or whatever—too much risk and much smaller pool of potential buyers.
Thanks for the info, that's very useful, especially the bit about color choices. I've always wondered why drab colors like Gold, Etain and Etoupe do so well at auction.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 07:57 PM   #41
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

There is a woman I know, middling office position, always decked out in designer gear impossible for her salary. Found out that she monétisés every single sock: wears a little while and then sells. Bags, dresses, shoes.

Seems exhausting.

You look down on the mid market brands, but some people simply wish to wear what they can actually afford. And having once been in the ‘shmates’ business, it’s all worthless anyway, even your darling Birkin bags.

(I quoted the wrong post and sorry for the autocorrect; my phone often cannot tell what language I’m writing in.)
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 08:14 PM   #42
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
You look down on the mid market brands, but some people simply wish to wear what they can actually afford. And having once been in the ‘shmates’ business, it’s all worthless anyway, even your darling Birkin bags.
How dare the peasants not take out a loan to buy a bag, watch, or whatever!

If we all followed the mantra of "go big or go home", we should be buying RM, Roger Smith etc etc, rather than such peasant brands as Patek, VC, AP...
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 10:45 PM   #43
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
So sitting in my Kelly bag right now (I'm traveling) is a beautiful, brand new 5205R-010. The black dial makes my heart flutter. All doubts I had about this watch were laid to waste as I saw it in person and wore it on my wrist.

This watch stresses me out. The only way I can justify this financial lunacy is with the understanding that I'll likely get at least 80% of my money back if I decide to part with watch some day. Thankfully I've made so much that this shouldn't be a worry, but I don't come from wealth, and spending $40k on a watch still keeps me up at night, wondering what I would do if x,y,z,a,b,c calamity happens and I've lost all my money and need to make ends meet.

So wearing this watch stresses me out because I fear that every ding or scratch I get on it will wear down its value (and beauty). And this fear almost paralyzes me into not wearing the watch. And if I'm not going to wear the watch, why do I even own it?

Sigh. Sorry. This is why it sucks to be a woman sometimes. This is why I was reluctant to post about this watch when I bought it earlier this week. It's a huge moment for me, but one I feel that I can't fully relish because I still don't quite feel like I own the watch. The watch owns me.

Help change me!

This is a difficult one. I felt very similar when I first got my 5711r at retail. I had an aquanaut before but this was my first full gold piece and I had many of the same feelings you did.I ended up letting it go (big mistake).

The good news is that the 5205 isn't that recognizable. It looks like a nice watch no doubt so after some wearing you should get used to it.

I suggest perhaps getting some different straps and colors and switch it out. It will make it feel more like yours :)
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 01:25 AM   #44
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I was expecting a slap on the rest for the Shinola comment.
Shinola? I thought he used to play for Spurs and Newcastle.
Old 15 September 2019, 01:42 AM   #45
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc12 View Post
i like michael kors bags
Don’t they also own versace
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 01:57 AM   #46
golfski
"TRF" Member

Watch: me whip & nay nay
Quote:
it’s all worthless anyway, even your darling Birkin bags.
I would say the same thing as watches or any other luxury item (or any item for that matter that is not PM). A SS 5711 is technically worthless other than its materials, it’s all a matter of what people are willing to pay for an item. Birkin bags, Rolex, PP, AP.
golfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 02:31 AM   #47
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Over emphasis on resale value takes the pleasure out of all this and makes one a slave to their possessions. Wear the watch and forget everything else. The key here is to buy what you absolutely love so concern over future value is irrelevant and to buy only what you can afford to lose.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 02:36 AM   #48
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

Your comparing a $500 watch line to Rolex. A much better comparison at the moment might be Breitling or Omega to Rolex. Value retention far different at the moment. But, that could always change. Value is in the eyes of the beholder.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 02:56 AM   #49
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Over emphasis on resale value takes the pleasure out of all this and makes one a slave to their possessions. Wear the watch and forget everything else. The key here is to buy what you absolutely love so concern over future value is irrelevant and to buy only what you can afford to lose.

Agree 100%, and well stated.
Old 15 September 2019, 02:41 PM   #50
Codik
"TRF" Member

My first Patek...

Yeah, this forum seems to have transitioned from people who love watches to a variant of e-bay traders. Maybe we need an “amateur grey-dealer forum” for those that worry more about making money from their watch (?) than anything else.
Codik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 03:24 PM   #51
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Don’t they also own versace
Yep. Also own Jimmy Choo.
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 05:44 PM   #52
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codik View Post
Yeah, this forum seems to have transitioned from people who love watches to a variant of e-bay traders. Maybe we need an “amateur grey-dealer forum” for those that worry more about making money from their watch (?) than anything else.
Beginnings guide to becoming a successful flipper.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 07:07 PM   #53
Remi B
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712/1A
Photos?
Remi B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 09:24 PM   #54
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codik View Post
Personally I try to lose money on my watches cause I’m so rich. When I walk in a store I bring my own KY jelly.

Most people don’t flip... they just don’t want to go broke buying toys
Old 15 September 2019, 11:05 PM   #55
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:

Seems like very little money to do this much work for on the bags? Time is money... and investing time and capital to make 2-3k on a bag seems kind of meh.

There must be easier ways to make money than flipping bags... sorry this seems a little silly in my mind.
Old 15 September 2019, 11:10 PM   #56
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Seems like very little money to do this much work for on the bags? Time is money... and investing time and capital to make 2-3k on a bag seems kind of meh.

There must be easier ways to make money than flipping bags... sorry this seems a little silly in my mind.
Internationally as well. I'm tired just thinking about it.
Old 15 September 2019, 11:16 PM   #57
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Internationally as well. I'm tired just thinking about it.
Just saying my friends mercedes and Lexus does this in 1 night
Old 15 September 2019, 11:23 PM   #58
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Just saying my friends mercedes and Lexus does this in 1 night
I've lost you. They do what in one night?
Old 15 September 2019, 11:23 PM   #59
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
I've lost you. They do what in one night?
Oh let’s not go into what they do... lol
Old 15 September 2019, 11:46 PM   #60
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh let’s not go into what they do... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote