The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 September 2019, 02:11 AM   #1
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
Insatiable Collectors

When I bought my first Rolex (A Milgauss) I was so happy and proud of my purchase. It was such a beautiful watch, and I loved the thing. But quickly, after my exposure to the forums here, the various Facebook groups, and Youtube enthusiasts that I've come across, it kind of spoiled my love for the watch.

The milgauss was "undesirable", even though I really loved its quirks. It suited me, but everyone hated it.

I flipped it for a GMT, and then flipped that for an older submariner, then I flipped that for a Grand Seiko, then I flipped that for a ceramic Sub, then I flipped that for a DJ41, then I flipped that and went back to a GMT.

All within a year.

I read on a post on here a long while ago that has stuck with me, and I'm paraphrasing, but they said "The happiest I have ever been with my watch was when I took a break from the forums."

I made my initial purchase because I wanted a nice watch, and between all this investment talk, the value proposition, and all that it really spoiled things for me, personally.

I know people will poke fun at me for all those purchases, and tell me I'm mentally unwell. But in a world where you can't ever see a Sub, or a GMT in person, and must buy things blind online via grey sellers, how else will you know how a watch will wear? I had never seen 90% of those watches in person, until I purchased from a grey.

Luckily, I was able to flip through most of the Rolex catalog without losing much (if any) money, until I dipped my toes in the Grand Seiko pool. But it is what it is.

Have any of you taken a break from the forums and found your own watch nirvana?
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 02:15 AM   #2
playford
"TRF" Member

Buy what YOU like, not what everyone else likes.
playford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 02:22 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Who said the milgauss was "undesirable"and who are the everyone's who hated it.Myself always buy watches I want to wear, and not influenced by what some state on the likes of facebook and the many other unsociable sites like Youtube etc.Yes today many are influenced by what some say on forums or so called social media sites.But I run my own life wear what I want and not dictated or influenced by any social media or forums.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 02:22 AM   #4
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by playford View Post
Buy what YOU like, not what everyone else likes.
Seriously, don't let the forum or anything influence your purchasing decisions.
Old 17 September 2019, 02:28 AM   #5
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakeroatmeal View Post
When I bought my first Rolex (A Milgauss) I was so happy and proud of my purchase. It was such a beautiful watch, and I loved the thing. But quickly, after my exposure to the forums here, the various Facebook groups, and Youtube enthusiasts that I've come across, it kind of spoiled my love for the watch.

The milgauss was "undesirable", even though I really loved its quirks. It suited me, but everyone hated it.

I flipped it for a GMT, and then flipped that for an older submariner, then I flipped that for a Grand Seiko, then I flipped that for a ceramic Sub, then I flipped that for a DJ41, then I flipped that and went back to a GMT.

All within a year.

I read on a post on here a long while ago that has stuck with me, and I'm paraphrasing, but they said "The happiest I have ever been with my watch was when I took a break from the forums."

I made my initial purchase because I wanted a nice watch, and between all this investment talk, the value proposition, and all that it really spoiled things for me, personally.

I know people will poke fun at me for all those purchases, and tell me I'm mentally unwell. But in a world where you can't ever see a Sub, or a GMT in person, and must buy things blind online via grey sellers, how else will you know how a watch will wear? I had never seen 90% of those watches in person, until I purchased from a grey.

Luckily, I was able to flip through most of the Rolex catalog without losing much (if any) money, until I dipped my toes in the Grand Seiko pool. But it is what it is.

Don't be led by others, do your own thing, the Milgauss is a great watch, very unique and in my opinion a cool watch. As for not seeing a Sub or a GMT in an AD, well my AD had a Sub in stock I tried it, liked it and am going to get one, the sales assistant was wearing a Batman so tried that and am on the long waiting list for one, I have also tried a Sky Dweller which is stunning. So you don't have to buy blind, go and talk to your AD, be sociable, you may not be able to buy the watch in the store it may be for someone else but at least you can see it and get an idea as to whether you like it.

Stop buying and selling your watch, continuously believing that the next one will be the right one is a never ending circle of despair and disappointment.
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 02:30 AM   #6
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Stop buying and selling your watch, continuously believing that the next one will be the right one is a never ending circle of despair and disappointment.
I agree with you 100%. It's definitely something I have to just commit to.
Old 17 September 2019, 02:39 AM   #7
cbiggs
"TRF" Member

Personally, there is a reason that I bought each of my watches. I have never really been one to part with any of them since they all have a special place in my heart and I appreciate each of them in their own right. Because of this, I have built up a small collection of a handful of watches, all of which are pretty different (in my eyes). I typically choose one watch to wear for a week or two and then rotate to something else for another period of time.

Taking a different watch out and putting it on my wrist is always fun. It makes me appreciate it for the reasons that it was originally purchased. I know that not everyone has multiple watches but I think that taking a break from a watch can make you appreciate it even more.

Take a breath and enjoy what you have. Don't be pressured by the ridiculous market or what other people have/think. Enjoy your watch and all the other great things you have in life.
cbiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 02:40 AM   #8
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
The Milgauss is “undesirable” on this forum maybe. Even then there are plenty of us who buy it and really don’t care what everyone else thinks. We enjoy our watches because we chose them for our own reasons.

I don’t understand why it’s so easy for strangers on the internet to influence people these days. I must have been really lucky being raised right and being taught to be my own man, do my research, and stick to my guns.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 02:41 AM   #9
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I hear you. I know it's difficult sometimes when you're exposed to many options and opinions, but the forum will only affect your buying decision if you let that happen. Now that you've experienced the forum 'influence' take a deep breath and organize your priorities so you know exactly what model (s) will suit you best.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 02:46 AM   #10
cbalster
"TRF" Member

I read this forum all the time. It's incredibly amusing. The forum is entertaining, all these people waxing, waning, wanting and whining about the same 6 Rolex Professional watches in SS. Rants about not feeling important to their AD, stories about serving strawberries and cream to a salesperson while rubbing their feet and placing chilled cucumbers over their eyes in the hopes they can score a Pepsi in months rather than years. It's free and it's fun and it's damn entertaining to read everything written here.

And yet it has the opposite effect on my wristwatch preferences. If anything it pushes me away from the hot new stuff. I own a JLC Reverso in PM, triple calendar... super "undesirable," and couldn't be happier I picked it up second hand at 70% off original MSRP. It's a stunner to me. I have a 6694 with box and papers, another "less desirable" model. I bought an RGM dual time zone and realize I now never would use the GMT function no matter how many calls I do per week with Asia and London.

In addition to just buying what you want, I'd suggest holding onto it longer. Your tastes evolve and change often, as do mine. When I wake up in the morning I look down at 5 watches and get to decide which one to wind for the day. Maybe I wear a Rolex 6694 today, or my JLC Reverso, or my RGM TZBD-350, or my $69 Seiko 5. It's a lovely way to start my morning.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 02:47 AM   #11
Muxi
"TRF" Member

You were actually serial flipping not being an insatiable collector, right?
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 02:50 AM   #12
Ace775
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
A friend of mine bought a nautilus a few years back and I just didn’t like it , I was not aware of how popular that model was but I knew that pateks are a class apart but that particular design didn’t appeal to me ofcourse until I joined this forum n realised what it’s all about and I saw myself thinking maybe it isn’t that bad ya know and so forth .if I saw it in isolation again and not know it’s a nautilus I wouldn’t care. So the forums do feed some of the hype. Just enjoy your watch . The one you love .
Ace775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 02:52 AM   #13
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxi View Post
You were actually serial flipping not being an insatiable collector, right?
I'm an insatiable collector, because I am never satisfied.

I also buy other watches.
Old 17 September 2019, 02:56 AM   #14
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
The Milgauss is “undesirable” on this forum maybe. Even then there are plenty of us who buy it and really don’t care what everyone else thinks. We enjoy our watches because we chose them for our own reasons.

I don’t understand why it’s so easy for strangers on the internet to influence people these days. I must have been really lucky being raised right and being taught to be my own man, do my research, and stick to my guns.

I had been gone from the forums for 5-6 years and only recently came back. Saw a few watches that I liked and this forum is a wealth of information to do my homework. Nowadays, I just go to watchbox reviews instead for information. I do still like TRF for the Rolex camaraderie. I stay away from the investment threads, scarcity threads, and take everything I read with a spoonful of salt.
Old 17 September 2019, 02:57 AM   #15
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I had been gone from the forums for 5-6 years and only recently came back. Saw a few watches that I liked and this forum is a wealth of information to do my homework. Nowadays, I just go to watchbox reviews instead for information. I do still like TRF for the Rolex camaraderie. I stay away from the investment threads, scarcity threads, and take everything I read with a spoonful of salt.
So you basically just spend your time skimming forum titles?

It feels like 80% of the posts are all about "investment this or that"!
Old 17 September 2019, 03:06 AM   #16
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So you basically just spend your time skimming forum titles?

It feels like 80% of the posts are all about "investment this or that"!

There’s also people asking for advice that I try to help out on. I was helped when I first started on here so I try to do the same. There are also fun threads with great stories cool pictures.
Old 17 September 2019, 03:09 AM   #17
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace775 View Post
A friend of mine bought a nautilus a few years back and I just didn’t like it , I was not aware of how popular that model was but I knew that pateks are a class apart but that particular design didn’t appeal to me ofcourse until I joined this forum n realised what it’s all about and I saw myself thinking maybe it isn’t that bad ya know and so forth .if I saw it in isolation again and not know it’s a nautilus I wouldn’t care. So the forums do feed some of the hype. Just enjoy your watch . The one you love .
Just saw a Nautilus for the first time in the metal the other day. Way larger than I thought. Too large. I don't get it. What's the big deal? I didn't get a seizure when the sun hit the blue dial either. Disappointed.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 03:26 AM   #18
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

why do care what other people say?

Sure TRF is great for advice and be part of a community, but at the end of the day its your watch, you money, and your wrist time.

No one on TRF or youtube or ? will care what you do with your money and your life so you shouldn't care what they think of the Milgauss. As long as you like it...then rock it!
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 04:13 AM   #19
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:

. . .

Yes, the Rolex forum is probably the worst for enabling and justification for doing silly things like paying over MSRP.

That said, I enjoy reading the commentary and opinions, as most of the people who contribute to this forum seem to be, you know, slightly above average.

But you should never buy (or sell) a watch based on what other people think. Except your SO, of course. Keeping him/her/them happy is important.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 04:18 AM   #20
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Until you start wearing what you like, for you, you'll never be happy.

People will always be critical, but as long as you love it, who cares? Blessed are those $200k minute repeater wearers that can look favorably upon those that wear "regular plain old Submariners".
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 04:23 AM   #21
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:

All within a year.

How did those topics spoil it for you personally?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 04:37 AM   #22
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

All within a year.

Seeing and researching becomes equated with buying and having. Needing and wanting the next best thing is how our minds work, realizing that the cycle will repeat is how we stay content with our original purchases. I also make a rule that if I want a piece and want to flip, add, or subtract a piece I always wait at least a couple months before making the move. I also try to find things about the model I have. For example while I have my gripes with my 116520, I have come to appreciate its water proofness, versatility, sizing, and the first ss model with the in-house movement. The constant barrage of watch conventions every year caused me to ask myself what I wanted. I was looking for a few pieces that would be life long companions and not some disposable watch like an Apple Watch. So I took my time, thought it out and have a 16610, 116520, and a speedy pro. All icons and will always be, no matter what is released next year.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 04:50 AM   #23
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

As someone else already posted, it’s important to buy what you like and not what the forums like.... I used to flip watches for a 5 year period between 10-15 years ago. Had numerous breitlings, a roger dubuis easy diver, a 16610lv, and others that are all gone. I always felt I did great. Wearing them and breaking even (except for the easy diver). This was back before TRF when timezone.com was the place

That said, I was insatiable. It was always about the next piece. Never the ones I had. I was in my early 20s and having fun with it. Then I bought my first house. At the time I had a 116710ln and a 16610lv. I sold the LV, keeping the modem gmt for the long haul. Real life kicked in and so did the reality of owning a home. I never thought I’d afford another expensive watch and I was ok with it. I had the gmt and it was perfect. I went almost 10 years happy with only the Gmt. I stepped back from the forums and lost touch with the watch world.... when I came back, Rolex was dominating everything.... I've now got the bug again, but I keep the experience above in mind, it grounds me.

It’s easy to get wrapped up in the excitement of the forums and confuse that for your own excitement. Watch collecting is best when you buy what you like. Nothing more and nothing less

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:09 AM   #24
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
As someone else already posted, it’s important to buy what you like and not what the forums like.... I used to flip watches for a 5 year period between 10-15 years ago. Had numerous breitlings, a roger dubuis easy diver, a 16610lv, and others that are all gone. I always felt I did great. Wearing them and breaking even (except for the easy diver). This was back before TRF when timezone.com was the place

That said, I was insatiable. It was always about the next piece. Never the ones I had. I was in my early 20s and having fun with it. Then I bought my first house. At the time I had a 116710ln and a 16610lv. I sold the LV, keeping the modem gmt for the long haul. Real life kicked in and so did the reality of owning a home. I never thought I’d afford another expensive watch and I was ok with it. I had the gmt and it was perfect. I went almost 10 years happy with only the Gmt. I stepped back from the forums and lost touch with the watch world.... when I came back, Rolex was dominating everything.... I've now got the bug again, but I keep the experience above in mind, it grounds me.

It’s easy to get wrapped up in the excitement of the forums and confuse that for your own excitement. Watch collecting is best when you buy what you like. Nothing more and nothing less
Thanks for understanding, you are the first really to echo my sentiments... I know that this mostly boils down to a ME problem, but I'm sure its not just me that wrestles with this.
Old 17 September 2019, 05:16 AM   #25
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I think I ‘m a collector in the true sense of the word. I have around twenty watches, The earliest dates from 1930. I don’t flip, nor do I consider the investment potential. I enjoy my watches for what each represents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:23 AM   #26
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
I don't think you have a problem. You are a watch enthusiast. You buy them, you sell them, trade them, and sometimes you keep them. I have done the same. I have owned ten Rolex and I have two in my current collection. The two I have kept are the ones that were the most comfortable and the most interesting to me, not forum members opinions. I currently have a SD43 . Many like this model, and others think it's too big and heavy. I have an azzurro blue DJII. Many people say DJII is is too big, out of proportions, but these watches fit my wrist the best, and I like the look. So keep up the enthusiasm, and get what you want.
Old 17 September 2019, 05:33 AM   #27
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

You must have missed the period when the Milgauss was super hyped up and loved.

It's kind of like the reverse of how people didn't care about the Hulk, and now it's one of the hardest ones to get.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:34 AM   #28
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Over the course of the past 30 years, I have bought and sold many watches. Went thru a phase at first where I was always on the quest for the best and greatest watch. But that kind of approach was always leaving me dissatisfied. Then, in the mid 90s, I started thinking about which watches I truly enjoyed wearing and kept buying over and over. I let go of other brands and now stick to Rolex models with a 40mm case, crown guards, on bracelet, in SS or PM. That's my sweet spot, regardless of what everybody else says or does.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:37 AM   #29
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Dont you want that Milgauss back now....After getting back into watches with a used 14060 some years ago it was my Milgauss that really sparked the love for me and it will always be a keeper.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:39 AM   #30
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

It can be fun having the hot one at the moment or the forum favorite. But at the end of the day its about what you like on your wrist. Not what some stranger on the web says is cool. Buy what you like because YOU like it. End of rant for a Monday.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote