The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 December 2019, 01:19 AM   #31
77T
2020 Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 30,779
Iím sorry for the OPís likely loss.

This is likely a prime example of the reason Mods advise members to avoid clicking links in emails.

In this case, the OP didnít click anything. What we are reading suggests that the seller likely did so; maybe a week or more ago - maybe it was a link in a PM or an email.

Now we can see an example of the bad consequences of an inadvertent error.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 01:28 AM   #32
Noonan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: US
Watch: 3570.50
Posts: 2,156
It boggles my mind how careless some people are with clicking links and not noticing what is clearly a scam message. People are being scammed out of tens of thousands of dollars off this site because people can't be trusted to not click on phishing links.

Maybe it's time to increase the requirements before an account can post a FS ad? People who don't know enough about internet scams to avoid them shouldn't be able to post FS threads for products of this value.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 01:56 AM   #33
Randy63
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scranton
Watch: 16610
Posts: 905
Icon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
It boggles my mind how careless some people are with clicking links and not noticing what is clearly a scam message. People are being scammed out of tens of thousands of dollars off this site because people can't be trusted to not click on phishing links.

Maybe it's time to increase the requirements before an account can post a FS ad? People who don't know enough about internet scams to avoid them shouldn't be able to post FS threads for products of this value.

This makes sense.


Randy
Randy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 02:01 AM   #34
Vksculptures
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Iím sorry for the OPís likely loss.

This is likely a prime example of the reason Mods advise members to avoid clicking links in emails.

In this case, the OP didnít click anything. What we are reading suggests that the seller likely did so; maybe a week or more ago - maybe it was a link in a PM or an email.

Now we can see an example of the bad consequences of an inadvertent error.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alright so I did not click any links at all , I copied his email from the forum and started communicating
Vksculptures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 02:03 AM   #35
Noonan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: US
Watch: 3570.50
Posts: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vksculptures View Post
Alright so I did not click any links at all , I copied his email from the forum and started communicating
You weren't the issue here. The account you were working with (the real person) clicked a phishing link which allowed the scammer to get their User ID and Password. They then used the compromised account to create the FS listing you replied to.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 02:47 AM   #36
Chewbacca
2020 Pledge Member
 
Chewbacca's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Real Name: CJ
Location: Kashyyyk
Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Posts: 12,476
While I understand its a very small minority who get scammed--the dollars are not.

Can we not simply block one line URL's or hyperlinks from DM's with a 3rd party plugin? And, make it policy to NOT add a private email address on Classifieds?

Anything with @rolexforums or any single line typed URL line would be blocked. And if you can't monitor your DM's, don't sell here.

At least it would cause inconvenience from a simple click opportunity to a Forum mirror site. There's simply no reason why one would ever need to send anything beyond the post # to share a link between members regarding forum activity--OR, post their own email addresses to begin the dialogue.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 03:20 AM   #37
77T
2020 Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 30,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vksculptures View Post
Alright so I did not click any links at all , I copied his email from the forum and started communicating


Yes that is what I said - it was the seller who fell prey to the scammer via clicking a link. Then the scammer hijacked the sellerís account and posted new items for sale that were never going to be shipped.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 08:30 AM   #38
alexthegreat123
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Real Name: Alex
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Watch: GMT 16710 w/ 3186
Posts: 7,398
Wiring to member with 100 posts?....
__________________
GMT Master II 16710 w/3186 "M" Coke
SeaDweller 16600 "M"
alexthegreat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2019, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.