The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 18 November 2010, 12:47 PM   #1
H.W. Frank
"TRF" Member

Break-in period

Curious whether there is any average break-in period for Rolex/Omega mechanicals.

My experience is limited to a Sub 14060M, an Omega PO 2201.50, and an Exp II 16570. All are recent manufacture. The Sub started out at about +3/day one year ago from the AD, and is now only a fraction of a second up per day. Have had the PO for about 8 months, also new, and it has gone from about 3+/day to .2+/day. The Exp II is only a month old from the AD, and is holding +3.5/day.

All are kept wound, either on the wrist or on an Orbita (the Sub needs to be crown up on the winder, the PO is fine w/ 12 o'clock at 12), but I've been wearing the Exp 80% of the time since I got it.

My question, then, is whether there is any conventional wisdom on how long it takes for an unused Rolex and/or Omega to settle in, and if any average that does exist varies from model to model?

Thanks in advance for any response.

HWF
H.W. Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
In theory, the watch does not need a break in period and has been tested for accuracy and consistency before leaving the factory..

The reality though, and my experience after 40 Rolex and Omega watches, is that they almost always pick up a second or so over the first 6 months...

My feeling is that the new oil has pooles in some areas and actually provides friction until it migrates around and smooths out, as well as some parts likely bed in a bit..........