The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 30 November 2010, 03:52 PM   #1
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
I screwed up a few movements

I had everything going pretty good there for a few weeks. I was able to break down 6 movements, and put them back together pretty well.

This week was hell!

I jacked the past two movements up pretty good. They were completely different from the rest, and were very tricky. They were older movements with a date wheel. I'm mainly practicing using the tools, and recognizing parts right now.

Several parts snapped with the tweezers, and went across the room, but I found them sifting through my mini vacuum cleaner bag.

This is the funnest venture I have ever started, and I'm going to learn how to do this. I have a true respect for a watchmaker that I didn't have before. It takes patience, and memory as well as understanding what your doing, and what your goal is.

I can see why there aren't many watchmakers these days. This takes constant practice, and dedication.

Guys wish me well. This week should be better than last. No family events, or crazy work schedule. I want to break a watch down, and clean it, then put it back correctly. Just to get over the hump!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Grissom
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc 18K/SS
Good luck Paul!!! I did that once years ago, and after ONE I stuck with clocks!! So you have my utmost respect!!!

Nathan

Who else needs an Intervention?
(109 297) (137 237) (73 115) (221) (23) (56) (229) P-Club Member #5

RIP JJ Irani - TRF Legend
Grissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2010, 12:31 AM   #3
Damage Inc.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mechanical!!
Good luck man...and grip those tweezers a little more lightly!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/tonelar/watches/club/gmtoc.jpg
Z-serial GMT IIc
2.92M serial 1675 Pepsi
V-serial 16610LV
Damage Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2010, 12:37 AM   #4
t e x
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Don't you just love these moments...one day in the near future these stories will become memories
t e x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2010, 12:53 AM   #5
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Paul, thanks for these posts. I'm lovin' living vicariously through them! I've always wanted to do what you are doing, so I'm envious of your adventure!
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2010, 01:13 AM   #6
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Good luck Paul!!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2010, 05:42 AM   #7
rfknauss
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub, LV Sub
Hang in there Paul ...... I'm sure you will succeed!

"Few things in life give man as great a pleasure as wearing a Rolex!"

TRF's "AFTER DARK" Bar & NightClub Patron
rfknauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2010, 10:32 AM   #8
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
Its interesting for me (and any watchmaker) to have someone else's opinion who now has an insight on what we do. I say it to my trainees all the time that when you have been working with watches for a long time you forget just how difficult it is and how much we (watchmakers) take it for granted what we do.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2010, 10:36 AM   #9
Route 66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mark II
I'd love to see a YouTube video of you in action.
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2010, 11:03 AM   #10
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Pam320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDakarBmw View Post
I had everything going pretty good there for a few weeks. I was able to break down 6 movements, and put them back together pretty well.

This week was hell!

I jacked the past two movements up pretty good. They were completely different from the rest, and were very tricky. They were older movements with a date wheel. I'm mainly practicing using the tools, and recognizing parts right now.

Several parts snapped with the tweezers, and went across the room, but I found them sifting through my mini vacuum cleaner bag.

This is the funnest venture I have ever started, and I'm going to learn how to do this. I have a true respect for a watchmaker that I didn't have before. It takes patience, and memory as well as understanding what your doing, and what your goal is.

I can see why there aren't many watchmakers these days. This takes constant practice, and dedication.

Guys wish me well. This week should be better than last. No family events, or crazy work schedule. I want to break a watch down, and clean it, then put it back correctly. Just to get over the hump!

So does raising 3 girls!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Prick #8
Pep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2010, 11:34 AM   #11
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Good luck Paul...fight the good fight man!
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2010, 11:39 AM   #12
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Well you know what they say I've been a watchmaker for 30 years 25 at the bench 5 on the floor hehe
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2010, 03:32 PM   #13
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironstark View Post
Its interesting for me (and any watchmaker) to have someone else's opinion who now has an insight on what we do. I say it to my trainees all the time that when you have been working with watches for a long time you forget just how difficult it is and how much we (watchmakers) take it for granted what we do.
I did get a few new items for the bench today. One was an organizer for the top of the desk, and the other things were just o-ring sets.

My confidence is still here, but I went from working on a gocart to taking apart a car. That isn't a good thing when your begenning. You live, and learn.

Most of my time has been spent reading about movements. Every watch is something new.

I took a quartz movement half way down, and put it back. Those little things are just as complicated as the others. I assumed it was a wad of electronic crap, but they still have jewels, and gears. Learn something new every day.

As far as a youtube video, I might try that one day. Right now you would just watch me fumble around, and try to figure out where my freaking loupe, and tweezers went. I also have to put everything in order when taking it apart. That's fine until you bump the tray, and everything ends up in a blasted pile.

I took one movement apart, and found a wig inside. How that thing ran with that much hair inside is beyond me. It really was dipped in oil because it was NASTY.

Some moron used JB weld to glue a case back on. I had to chissel the back off to find a black plastic where the gasket should be. Point is, repairing a dirty movement is hard, but that's the point. Un F#####g uncle pete's JB weld job SUCKS! That movement was thrown back into the pile for parts.

I really do like this, and wanted to share the expenses with you guys. It takes good tools, and proper environment to do it correctly. I have done some good price shopping, and purchased some items used.

So far with the $75 for the timezone course 1, tools, practice movements, and other misc equipment $3,500. There is still more I need to purchase to have a really good setup. I can manage for now with this, but the part inventory is the big kicker now.

I don't regret one minute or a single penny spent to go for it. I have always wanted to do it, and I'm giving it a good shot!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2010, 10:50 PM   #14
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Now a days a fully equiped watch repair shop will set you back 100 large and then some. If you bought all the tools from Rolex alone it's roughly 35 to 40 thousand,but I wouldn't have it any other way I love what I do and hope to die with a watch screwdriver in my hand. Paul keep going don't get discouraged the only way to get to broadway is practice practice practice. Rik
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2010, 06:20 AM   #15
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
Well you know what they say I've been a watchmaker for 30 years 25 at the bench 5 on the floor hehe
That's very funny!

Paul, it sounds like you are doing it exactly right.

If it was easy everyone would do it.

I'm impressed!