The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 August 2019, 02:38 AM   #1
Leopard88
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Germany
Posts: 38
Serial number check

Hello, is there a way to check a Rolex serial number for stolen record etc, without visiting the AD? I have an opportunity to buy a 116665 rose gold YM, which is new unused with still some stickers on, but it doesnt have any paperwork. I know the watch is original but i dont know its history, and the nearest AD is 400km away, seller doesnt want to meet anywhere besides his home city due to security reasons so that cant be done. Could i check it somehow? Im located in Europe
Leopard88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 03:07 AM   #2
bondtoys
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Watch: 16750
Posts: 2,105
In short you can‘t.
Ask yourself why a brand new watch is offered without certificate.
When in doubt, walk away.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 03:23 AM   #3
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member
 
antrolexsub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 353
thewatchregister.com as is as good as it gets short of sending it to Rolex.
antrolexsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 04:16 AM   #4
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member
 
thesharkfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Online
Watch: Submariner's
Posts: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
Ask yourself why a brand new watch is offered without certificate.
Because AD's withhold the warranty card for a year to prevent flipping could be a reason.. still needs checking out though.
__________________
Proud to be not using silly nicknames for luxury watches.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 04:20 AM   #5
77T
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 29,843
Serial number check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard88 View Post
Hello, is there a way to check a Rolex serial number for stolen record etc, without visiting the AD? I have an opportunity to buy a 116665 rose gold YM, which is new unused with still some stickers on, but it doesnt have any paperwork. I know the watch is original but i dont know its history, and the nearest AD is 400km away, seller doesnt want to meet anywhere besides his home city due to security reasons so that cant be done. Could i check it somehow? Im located in Europe


Even an AD can’t check the Rolex theft records. Only done by staff at RSC.

A new watch without a warranty card is a red flag unless seller can produce original, verifiable sales receipt.

How do you know the watch is genuine?

You said seller is remote from you so there is a bigger risk when he refuses to meet at a dealer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 04:22 AM   #6
77T
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 29,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
Because AD's withhold the warranty card for a year to prevent flipping could be a reason.. still needs checking out though.


Yes you make a good point if the watch is genuine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 04:34 AM   #7
bondtoys
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Watch: 16750
Posts: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
Because AD's withhold the warranty card for a year to prevent flipping could be a reason.. still needs checking out though.
On a Rosegold Yachtmaster??
I don‘t think so!
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 04:50 AM   #8
Leopard88
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Germany
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Even an AD can’t check the Rolex theft records. Only done by staff at RSC.

A new watch without a warranty card is a red flag unless seller can produce original, verifiable sales receipt.

How do you know the watch is genuine?

You said seller is remote from you so there is a bigger risk when he refuses to meet at a dealer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I know it is genuine as i have a little experience in that matter:), Ive seen a lot of fake solid gold Rolex’s, theyre miles from the mostly faked sports ss models
Besides the seller doesnt have anything against authenticating it, as long as he doesnt have to travel with the watch someplace far (which i guess you do understand because of the scam and robberies by buyers)
But the watch has no papers and he bought it like that second hand so I cant be sure if its legal or not
Leopard88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 04:53 AM   #9
Leopard88
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Germany
Posts: 38
Ive settles a price of 17k$ so i think its pretty good but still it needs to be legit for me to bjy
Leopard88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 05:25 AM   #10
77T
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 29,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard88 View Post
I know it is genuine as i have a little experience in that matter:), Ive seen a lot of fake solid gold Rolex’s, theyre miles from the mostly faked sports ss models

Besides the seller doesnt have anything against authenticating it, as long as he doesnt have to travel with the watch someplace far (which i guess you do understand because of the scam and robberies by buyers)

But the watch has no papers and he bought it like that second hand so I cant be sure if its legal or not


Soooo....
You authenticated it from pictures?

As we say here a lot for new members...

Buy the seller first.
More scams are run by sellers than by buyers...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 05:37 AM   #11
GLADIATOR
2019 GMT CHNR Pledge Member
 
GLADIATOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Real Name: Adam
Location: Costa Blanca,
Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Posts: 4,806
Is it a 116655?
__________________
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill
"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done."
GLADIATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 05:40 AM   #12
GLADIATOR
2019 GMT CHNR Pledge Member
 
GLADIATOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Real Name: Adam
Location: Costa Blanca,
Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Posts: 4,806
Ps. Did you google the serial number.
Many people report stolen pieces on forums and google catches those
__________________
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill
"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done."
GLADIATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 06:22 AM   #13
Leopard88
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Germany
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Soooo....
You authenticated it from pictures?

As we say here a lot for new members...

Buy the seller first.
More scams are run by sellers than by buyers...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes i have... isnt it the same way of authentication you are doing here?
I did buy the seller he is fine, he doesnt mind me bronging opening tools checking the watch etc etc, he bought it without papers so hes not giving me any funny stories

As for google search shows nothing
Leopard88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 09:33 AM   #14
on1879
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2
When I called the RSC about a replacement bracelet for my DJ they looked up the serial number while I was on the phone.
on1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 03:38 PM   #15
bondtoys
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Watch: 16750
Posts: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard88 View Post
Yes i have... isnt it the same way of authentication you are doing here?
I did buy the seller he is fine, he doesnt mind me bronging opening tools checking the watch etc etc, he bought it without papers so hes not giving me any funny stories

As for google search shows nothing
So, this means that you are certain, that the seller will refund you incase that the watch is found out to be stolen and is seized by the authorities?

That is what "buying the seller" really means in your case
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 04:46 PM   #16
214270Explorer
2019 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: United States
Watch: me buy Rolex
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
In short you can‘t.
Ask yourself why a brand new watch is offered without certificate.
When in doubt, walk away.
A red flag, just as Paul G mentions.

Suspicious to say the least.
__________________
Rolex R150533 OP Date
Rolex 16613 Submariner TT blue dial
Rolex 214270 Explorer full lume
Tudor Pelagos LHD
Hamilton 992B Railway Special from 1944
"Life is too short not to have a Rolex"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2019, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.