The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 30 September 2015, 08:27 AM   #61
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Nice edit!

As said previously, pleased to see you have got a resolution with which you’re happy.
After all of your insults and hypocritical statements, your back handed well wishes don't mean a thing to me.

All you did was waste my time responding to your redundant comments...
Old 30 September 2015, 11:14 AM   #62
descartes
"TRF" Member

You'll see it in 9 months, if you're lucky.
Old 30 September 2015, 11:17 AM   #63
GarageBMW
"TRF" Member

Watch: the step
Wow, this is great news, really happy for you. Sadly there is the waiting time for the new one to arrive but I assume it will be given some attention before leaving Geneva ;)

Cheers
Old 1 October 2015, 04:18 AM   #64
Stuxnet
Banned

Not sure where it all went wrong for you. I've had nothing but the best treatment from HSWA and the Salon in Geneva. I'm a complete and utter nobody so don't think I get the special treatment because I'm a collector or anything like that. I've had good service for strap replacements as well as for a balance wheel replacement on a watch that had just gone off warranty. Done at no cost. My AD is is Zurich. So no special treatment via him making a phone call. And HSWA even very generously made a charatible contribution to a cause I supported.
Old 5 October 2015, 06:18 AM   #65
ayecarumba
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one I'm wearin
Thx for the info...

You are not alone Subking!

Documented my PP QC issue in another thread and appreciate having the info and point of reference.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and reuniting with your PP.

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his planets in chime,
Marketh the going of Time." --Edward Fitzgerald
Old 8 October 2015, 09:23 AM   #66
SubKing
"TRF" Member

***************************************update***** *******************************

I received word this AM that my brand new replacement 5990 arrived at my AD this morning.

I will post pictures along with the story of what happens tomorrow if I can make it out there in time.

I am going to look this watch over very carefully and test all functions before I leave the store for sure.

Wish me luck.
Old 8 October 2015, 09:43 AM   #67
martinr
"TRF" Member

Good luck I'm sure it will be perfect.
Old 8 October 2015, 10:03 AM   #68
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
Good to hear SubKing!
Old 9 October 2015, 05:01 AM   #69
SubKing
"TRF" Member

picked up from my AD my new replacement watch from patek today and there is another defect with this one.. can you believe it? posting pictures shortly
Old 9 October 2015, 05:06 AM   #70
ash20
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Unfortunate to say the least but I hope either 1) it's no big deal or 2) you did not take possession...
Old 9 October 2015, 05:13 AM   #71
SubKing
"TRF" Member

So, visiting my AD today, to pick up my watch, I deal directly with the owner with watches.. Their watch maker was not in so the owner told me he would remove the links for me.. I told him, "Peter, don't scratch my watch, please be careful, if you feel confident in doing it, then I trust you."

Naturally he scratched up the links.. I left the store not very happy. Then once I get home, I notice a really poor defect on the bracelet.

Patek assembles these bracelets with pins. Going up the bracelet, these pins at the factory are laser welded and then sanded down until they cannot be seen by the naked eye. My last defective 5990 bracelet was fine, and this bracelet on this new 5990 is fine on one side, but the other side of the bracelet on the sides of the links you can see the pin circles. You can clearly see the circles of the pins and they were not properly finished.

I contacted the supervisor "Pat" at patek NY that I been working with. He didn't seem thrilled to hear from me. When I asked him to check his email for a picture of the defect, I asked him if he thought that looked right. Pat's response "I don't really see a problem, but I will double check, as this might be an acceptable QC finish, I will forward the picture to HQ and get back to you"

So I'm thinking to myself "acceptable QC of finishing? You must be joking.."

Looking at the picture below, how would you guys feel about that on a brand new replacement watch that your dealer scratched to boot. What you are looking for are faint circles on the sides of the links.
Old 9 October 2015, 05:14 AM   #72
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash20 View Post
Unfortunate to say the least but I hope either 1) it's no big deal or 2) you did not take possession...
I took possession because there is only so much I can check in the store and on my way home, when the sun light hit my bracelet, I saw it. When I got home I was able to take a closer look and that's when I took that picture.
Old 9 October 2015, 05:24 AM   #73
SubKing
"TRF" Member

going all the way down to the clasp you can see the circles of where the bracelet pins are inserted and they were not properly polished out on both sides of the links on that part of the bracelet located on the 6 o-clock side of the watch.

Maybe patek feels, "hey, if the watch is functioning properly this time on the new one we gave him, then who cares how it looks?" I just get that Vibe from them.

You can't make this stuff up.. First world problems for sure, and yes there are MUCH more important things to worry about.

Its just the sheer frustration of having to deal with it when it should not be happening in the first place is all.
Old 9 October 2015, 05:37 AM   #74
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
I just checked my 5980. I can see where the pins go if I look very carefully with the light just right, but it's less obvious than your bracelet. I also noticed on your last picture the edges of the bracelet look a bit rough, but that may just be the way it photographed. I think I'd be ok if Patek could fix it with a polish, but only if they could do it more or less immediately.

Any luck with the travel case?
Old 9 October 2015, 05:49 AM   #75
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
I just checked my 5980. I can see where the pins go if I look very carefully with the light just right, but it's less obvious than your bracelet. I also noticed on your last picture the edges of the bracelet look a bit rough, but that may just be the way it photographed. I think I'd be ok if Patek could fix it with a polish, but only if they could do it more or less immediately.

Any luck with the travel case?
Hey Russ,

Yeah the edges of the links are that rough in reality, I wanted to wait and see if anyone would notice that..

The pin holes now that I know they are there, are very obvious. I can see them in any lighting condition

The other half of the bracelet at the 12 o-clock, both sides are flawless. On my last watch, there was nothing at all.

As for the travel case, HSWA NY doesn't know if they can locate one, but they are checking with patek HQ. they said people have asked in the past and they denied them, giving my circumstance, they are trying to find one, if not the one you have, maybe one similar.
Old 9 October 2015, 05:55 AM   #76
SubKing
"TRF" Member

here is a good shot Russ, The right side has the pin holes visible and the left side of the bracelet is clean.

are you able to capture yours on camera? Would like to see a shot, it would certainly make me feel better about mine if you think its normal?
maybe other members here can check their bracelets and let me know if anyone has similar visible pin holes?

Old 9 October 2015, 06:08 AM   #77
RussW
"TRF" Member

Yes sure thing, I'll take a photo tomorrow in the daylight. As I say you have to look carefully but you can see a faint outline of the holes. I'd say my bracelet is like the left hand side of your last photo where I can see an outline of the holes in the first three links.
Old 9 October 2015, 06:13 AM   #78
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes sure thing, I'll take a photo tomorrow in the daylight. As I say you have to look carefully but you can see a faint outline of the holes. I'd say my bracelet is like the left hand side of your last photo where I can see an outline of the holes in the first three links.
Thanks Russ.

If the right side of my bracelet looked like the left side, I would have never noticed.
Old 9 October 2015, 07:16 AM   #79
RussW
"TRF" Member

I've attached a photo taken inside. It was very hard to capture the visible outline of the holes. You can just (barely) see one on the right hand side, 3 links from the case. Comparing this to yours it is very clear your bracelet is not properly finished
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (127.0 KB, 283 views)
Old 9 October 2015, 07:27 AM   #80
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've attached a photo taken inside. It was very hard to capture the visible outline of the holes. You can just (barely) see one on the right hand side, 3 links from the case. Comparing this to yours it is very clear your bracelet is not properly finished
Thanks for the picture Russ. That gold is stunning.

Looks like I struck out on this new one. Hard to see the circles on yours, maybe I think I can see one. But I'm sure pictures are hard to capture yours if they are that faint.
Old 9 October 2015, 07:46 AM   #81
RussW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
Thanks for the picture Russ. That gold is stunning.

Looks like I struck out on this new one. Hard to see the circles on yours, maybe I think I can see one. But I'm sure pictures are hard to capture yours if they are that faint.
It's just stainless steel, my friend. I can try to take a better picture tomorrow if you like, but I'm not sure it's needed. Good luck with yours, keep us posted, I'm sure in the end you will be happy when it's all sorted.
Old 9 October 2015, 07:51 AM   #82
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's just stainless steel, my friend. I can try to take a better picture tomorrow if you like, but I'm not sure it's needed. Good luck with yours, keep us posted, I'm sure in the end you will be happy when it's all sorted.
Agreed. I'm going to stay positive. All the better if I get that sharp travel case like you have my friend.
Old 9 October 2015, 07:55 AM   #83
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
I contacted the supervisor "Pat" at patek NY that I been working with. He didn't seem thrilled to hear from me. When I asked him to check his email for a picture of the defect, I asked him if he thought that looked right. Pat's response "I don't really see a problem, but I will double check, as this might be an acceptable QC finish, I will forward the picture to HQ and get back to you"

So I'm thinking to myself "acceptable QC of finishing? You must be joking.."
That’s double-speak for “you’re being far too fussy for our liking and consider the matter resolved.”

Did you mention before leaving the store that the owner had managed to mark the bracelet?
If not, then you should have – even if you didn’t want the conversation to become confrontational.

In the event NY comes back with a response which effectively allows them to wash their hands of you, your response has to be that as the customer, you decide what’s acceptable, not them.
But in doing so, you’d better be on firm ground with your State’s consumer laws, and be ready to enact them by rejecting the watch and obtaining a refund.

A previous comment made intimated that you didn’t want to go down the refund route for fear of burning bridges – at this stage, and if PP says no to swapping the bracelet over, then the AD might be relieved that he doesn’t have to deal with what a “demanding customer".
So I wouldn’t worry about bridges – not when $40K+ is at stake.

Maybe you’re destined for not having a 5990.
Old 9 October 2015, 08:10 AM   #84
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s double-speak for “you’re being far too fussy for our liking and consider the matter resolved.”

Did you mention before leaving the store that the owner had managed to mark the bracelet?
If not, then you should have – even if you didn’t want the conversation to become confrontational.

In the event NY comes back with a response which effectively allows them to wash their hands of you, your response has to be that as the customer, you decide what’s acceptable, not them.
But in doing so, you’d better be on firm ground with your State’s consumer laws, and be ready to enact them by rejecting the watch and obtaining a refund.

A previous comment made intimated that you didn’t want to go down the refund route for fear of burning bridges – at this stage, and if PP says no to swapping the bracelet over, then the AD might be relieved that he doesn’t have to deal with what a “demanding customer".
So I wouldn’t worry about bridges – not when $40K+ is at stake.

Maybe you’re destined for not having a 5990.
If you're going to mention price, the watch retails for over 50k not 40regardless of price it shouldn't happen on a 5k watch.. I also purchased a rolex at the same time I purchased this patek, so it was a nice big purchase.

I actually got into it with the owner but I didn't want to get into details. I got into an argument over the phone while I was in the parking lot of their store.. I did point out to him the scratches while in the store and told him I was very unhappy with what he did.. He simply did not care. Being the gentlemen I am, I didn't want to create a scene in his store so I walked out. When I called him from the parking lot on my cell, he started to raise his voice at me while I was calm.. Its a very long story, but I told him I'm not his employee, I am a customer that just spent a boat load of money with him so he should watch how he speaks to me.. Either way I consider the bridge burned at this point.

I don't think the pictures I provided on here over any of the defects on either of these pateks are unreasonable expectations. I have never had defects like these on any other watch brand I have dealt with before when coming brand new from the factory.
Old 9 October 2015, 08:53 AM   #85
Mikehii
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Patek
Quote:
If you're going to mention price, the watch retails for over 50k not 40regardless of price it shouldn't happen on a 5k watch.. I also purchased a rolex at the same time I purchased this patek, so it was a nice big purchase.

I actually got into it with the owner but I didn't want to get into details. I got into an argument over the phone while I was in the parking lot of their store.. I did point out to him the scratches while in the store and told him I was very unhappy with what he did.. He simply did not care. Being the gentlemen I am, I didn't want to create a scene in his store so I walked out. When I called him from the parking lot on my cell, he started to raise his voice at me while I was calm.. Its a very long story, but I told him I'm not his employee, I am a customer that just spent a boat load of money with him so he should watch how he speaks to me.. Either way I consider the bridge burned at this point.

I don't think the pictures I provided on here over any of the defects on either of these pateks are unreasonable expectations. I have never had defects like these on any other watch brand I have dealt with before when coming brand new from the factory.
Sorry to see what happened to you, to me after all this i go back and get a refund to get all your money back. Not worth it at all.
Old 9 October 2015, 09:25 AM   #86
PJ S
Banned

Quote:

I’m aware of the RRP, but was giving you the benefit of having negotiated a decent bit of discount, even before learning the store benefited from a Rolex sale at the same time.
As you said, which is a point that goes without saying, you don’t expect to see this level of amateurish QC on even $2-3K watches, never mind from the brand everyone perceives as being at the very top of the horological tree.

Given the situation now, I can’t see how you can abide profiting this store to the tune of what you have, nor look upon this 5990 (even if bracelet swapped and perfect) favourably, after all the hassles you’ve endured to get it how it should’ve been from the outset.

I can only encourage you to seriously consider walking away from it all with a refund, and re-think if you’ll really be truly happy with being a PP owner.

Perhaps AP have a ROC, and VC an Overseas Chrono, with your name on them?
Old 9 October 2015, 09:29 AM   #87
Mikehii
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Patek
Quote:
I’m aware of the RRP, but was giving you the benefit of having negotiated a decent bit of discount, even before learning the store benefited from a Rolex sale at the same time.
As you said, which is a point that goes without saying, you don’t expect to see this level of amateurish QC on even $2-3K watches, never mind from the brand everyone perceives as being at the very top of the horological tree.

Given the situation now, I can’t see how you can abide profiting this store to the tune of what you have, nor look upon this 5990 (even if bracelet swapped and perfect) favourably, after all the hassles you’ve endured to get it how it should’ve been from the outset.

I can only encourage you to seriously consider walking away from it all with a refund, and re-think if you’ll really be truly happy with being a PP owner.

Perhaps AP have a ROC, and VC an Overseas Chrono, with your name on them?
Oh comon, he is having bad luck to receive twice a bad one. You can't blame him for being unhappy. Right? Customer always right.
Old 9 October 2015, 09:45 AM   #88
ju5t1nb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
No circles on mine…I can't believe your luck! Sorry to hear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg therolexforum.jpg (49.8 KB, 278 views)
Old 9 October 2015, 10:29 AM   #89
SHM3
"TRF" Member

I'm sorry this has happened to you. That bracelet is a mess. Get a refund and move on.
Old 9 October 2015, 10:43 AM   #90
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehii View Post
Oh comon, he is having bad luck to receive twice a bad one. You can't blame him for being unhappy. Right? Customer always right.
Look, the world doesn’t begin and/or end with Patek Philippe, no matter how much the group thinking tries to suggest that it does.
The fact NY sent the replacement on without inspecting it themselves, is bordering on being contemptuous.
That it left Switzerland looking like that, is contemptuous.

SK has had poor service from both the AD (today) and HSWA on his initial call with them.
For someone throwing $50K around, you’d expect that standards (in every aspect) would be a hell of a lot higher than if he were buying a $5-6K Grand Seiko or $10K Glashutte Original.

My point is/was that he might be feeling exasperated from the whole escapade, so a short respite to reflect upon whether the hassles are worth it to achieve the end result or too much for the amount of money being spent on a piece of non-PM time-telling jewellery.
Closed Thread