The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 24 January 2017, 05:05 AM   #121
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Like I said before after speaking to HSWA. If you are buying the watch with the intention of keeping forever it shouldn't matter IMO.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 05:11 AM   #122
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I've had several watches require service under warranty over the years (3 of 7), including a PP ("debris in the movement."). So, buying a watch is not exactly risk free...
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 05:16 AM   #123
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
If you are buying the watch with the intention of keeping forever it shouldn't matter IMO.
A LOT of people don't buy watches 'forever'. They get tired of it, want to sell, life changes, start to prefer one style of watch over another, color, material change, etc, etc.

People should not have to feel obligated to keep a watch 'forever' due to warranty requirements, IMHO.

Plus what this tells me is unless you buy a PP watch new, you certainly better factor in ALL servicing costs, as there will be NO warranty (per HSWA). That could get expensive.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 05:40 AM   #124
Chaos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
A LOT of people don't buy watches 'forever'. They get tired of it, want to sell, life changes, start to prefer one style of watch over another, color, material change, etc, etc.

People should not have to feel obligated to keep a watch 'forever' due to warranty requirements, IMHO.

Plus what this tells me is unless you buy a PP watch new, you certainly better factor in ALL servicing costs, as there will be NO warranty (per HSWA). That could get expensive.
It seems all preowned pieces even with plenty of warranty left, just got a hit

There's no more difference having or not warranty left for a pre owned piece further than condition

Wow.... comparing to other brands, it's the first time I heard that...
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 05:41 AM   #125
willski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
As I said before HSWA doesn't really want to combat grey dealers as they would just make sure that papers are completed at AD's and allocations would be done along the lines of the U.K. Alternatively this isn't known to the wider audience and they should put an add in the paper or AD stating that warranties don't exist other than to the original Purchaser....my suggestion is buy your watches in UK and Europe

Apologies - but does the warranty differ in U.K./Europe from the one offered in U.S. warranties?

This whole issue is irritating. PP make some great watches, wish they had the same great service and care post purchase as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
willski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 05:56 AM   #126
Chaos
"TRF" Member

If there is any logic in this , the cases of people getting their pre owned pieces serviced under warranty might be explained by a good relationship with AD

Best
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 06:05 AM   #127
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Ok here is the response from Patek and you aren't going to like it. Direct from Patek and it's company policy, not just a guy that got it wrong.

Dear Martin,

Happy New Year!

It’s actually quite simple. The 2-year warranty is not transferrable. The owner of the timepiece needs to have purchased it DIRECTLY from an authorized dealer. If the owner of the timepiece purchased it from any other source, there is no warranty. This is actually to protect our clients from the gray market. This is printed on the back of every Certificate of Origin. The information is also found on the Patek Philippe website. This has nothing to do with HSWA or any other service center. This policy comes directly from Patek Philippe Geneva and has been in effect for many, many years.

Kind regards,

Pat
There is no clarity in this response.
The reply you received from Pat seems incredibly misleading. He clearly states this policy is to protect clients from the gray market, the policy is stated on PP website and has been the policy for many years.

Well that simply isn't correct, there is a confusion occurring between buying NEW from a gray dealer without fully filled out papers and a NEW AD purchase with full papers. Fully document correct AD purchased pieces most certainly have transferable 2 year warranty. The story here is if you want transferable warranty you have to buy a piece either direct from an AD or if buying a used piece under 2 years old that it was originally sold by an AD - you need to do due diligence on the original source of the piece.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 06:17 AM   #128
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
There is no clarity in this response.
The reply you received from Pat seems incredibly misleading. He clearly states this policy is to protect clients from the gray market, the policy is stated on PP website and has been the policy for many years.

Well that simply isn't correct, there is a confusion occurring between buying NEW from a gray dealer without fully filled out papers and a NEW AD purchase with full papers. Fully document correct AD purchased pieces most certainly have transferable 2 year warranty. The story here is if you want transferable warranty you have to buy a piece either direct from an AD or if buying a used piece under 2 years old that it was originally sold by an AD - you need to do due diligence on the original source of the piece.
Well, you can interpret it any way you want but my understanding of what Pat said is the warranty applies to the original buyer and that buyer must have bought from an AD with his name on the certificate. The warranty isn't transferable regardless of how the papers are filled out. I suggest you take it up with the guy that sent me the email, PM me and I'll send you his contact info, he's the head of customer service so I assume he knows what he's talking about.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 06:25 AM   #129
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, you can interpret it any way you want but my understanding of what Pat said is the warranty applies to the original buyer and that buyer must have bought from an AD with his name on the certificate. The warranty isn't transferable regardless of how the papers are filled out. I suggest you take it up with the guy that sent me the email, PM me and I'll send you his contact info, he's the head of customer service so I assume he knows what he's talking about.

He does
Old 24 January 2017, 06:33 AM   #130
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Let's stay positive. There is an abundance of great watch manufacturers and this gives everyone the opportunity to choose wisely. Perhaps you'll discover a great independent watch maker, or choose a longtime reliable fave like Rolex that offers a 5 year warranty with their timepieces no matter if/who has their name on the guarantee. Must say the 5 week service turnaround by Rolex is excellent and my daily beater ceramic Submariner that went in for regulation is now +7 seconds A MONTH! Most impressive accuracy and i swim (pool/ocean), bicycle, skateboard, etc with the Rolex and she just keeps working great.

So look at this as really good news, as now you know the direction of Patek today as compared to years past and can make an educated decision accordingly. Choose carefully.

Another benefit, you can now expect very good discounts on pre-owned Patek Philippe pieces due to a complete and total lack of factory warranty no matter the watch's age. So bargain with sellers accordingly. Even sealed watches could now be at discount, which is good news for those remaining Patek customers.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 09:11 AM   #131
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
My AD also stated the warranty was not transferable and only applied to the original buyer, and he said that was policy for a long time. Seems to me like maybe PP were relaxed on this before but maybe now they are taking a harder line on greys and are enforcing their no transfer policy.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 09:20 AM   #132
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
My AD also stated the warranty was not transferable and only applied to the original buyer,.
Is there ANY other major watch brand with this policy?
Old 24 January 2017, 10:29 AM   #133
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok here is the response from Patek and you aren't going to like it. Direct from Patek and it's company policy, not just a guy that got it wrong.

Dear Martin,

Happy New Year!

It’s actually quite simple. The 2-year warranty is not transferrable. The owner of the timepiece needs to have purchased it DIRECTLY from an authorized dealer. If the owner of the timepiece purchased it from any other source, there is no warranty. This is actually to protect our clients from the gray market. This is printed on the back of every Certificate of Origin. The information is also found on the Patek Philippe website. This has nothing to do with HSWA or any other service center. This policy comes directly from Patek Philippe Geneva and has been in effect for many, many years.

Kind regards,

Pat
But nowhere does it say " only the ORIGINAL purchaser ".. So if my wife was buying me a PP as a gift from an AD then I hope she does not put her name on the CoO or else there will be no 2 yr. warranty period...
Dancing Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 10:41 AM   #134
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Is there ANY other major watch brand with this policy?
Kind of- RSC NYC can be very temperamental.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 11:28 AM   #135
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toucan View Post
Kind of- RSC NYC can be very temperamental.
LOL - they don't care what name is on the card

Send to Dallas and no issues.

Then again at least Rolex offers 5 years, but rest assured NEVER an issue with Rolex warranty.

Ever.
Old 24 January 2017, 12:31 PM   #136
Monsta
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep sea black
With this kind of policy and short warranty period my decision was made a little easier I was really torn between PP and AP but the decision is clear now.
Monsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 12:39 PM   #137
KarlS
Banned

Don't buy USA buy U.K. And Europe
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 12:44 PM   #138
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why should someone in the US have to buy a PP watch overseas??

Because of warranty issues that seem to be different in one country vs another?

Hmmm...no.
Old 24 January 2017, 12:48 PM   #139
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:

Karl, I'm not sure how his would be any different. If as a US buyer I buy a used (but within the 2 year warranty) Patek in Europe or the U.K., and then have an issue with said Patek, I will run into the same roadblock at HSWA as I'm not the original buyer and my name is not on the papers.
Old 24 January 2017, 12:52 PM   #140
martinr
"TRF" Member

Somebody on the Purist forum said "this sounds like fake news" hahahaha. It isn't, unless someone can get more or better info this policy seems like the policy.
Old 24 January 2017, 01:00 PM   #141
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Karl, I'm not sure how his would be any different. If as a US buyer I buy a used (but within the 2 year warranty) Patek in Europe or the U.K., and then have an issue with said Patek, I will run into the same roadblock at HSWA as I'm not the original buyer and my name is not on the papers.
Because we have confirmation from Capt Andy that PP Geneva Salon will honour this and my own U.K. AD who says as long as the docs are completed properly the service centre will accept the watch for warranty work. They don't ask for a passport to verify!! So I would guess its being applied by USA which is strange considering how slack they have been in the past with grey dealers!
Old 24 January 2017, 01:03 PM   #142
martinr
"TRF" Member

Look on the Patek website for the warranty and certificate info. It's very ambiguous. Especially the part about the certificate being delivered by an authorized retailer.
Old 24 January 2017, 01:06 PM   #143
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because we have confirmation from Capt Andy that PP Geneva Salon will honour this and my own U.K. AD who says as long as the docs are completed properly the service centre will accept the watch for warranty work. They don't ask for a passport to verify!! So I would guess its being applied by USA which is strange considering how slack they have been in the past with grey dealers!
We have an email from the head of PP US customer care--a gentleman most of us know as reputable...very.

Would love to see PP Geneva email (like Martin received from US) stating what you are claiming.

What one person says, or hearsay is not worth much when it comes to actually filing a claim in the US.

IN writing and we can go from there...just get the Geneva person to put into an email you can copy.

Simple--we will all await.
Old 24 January 2017, 01:08 PM   #144
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Look on the Patek website for the warranty and certificate info. It's very ambiguous. Especially the part about the certificate being delivered by an authorized retailer.
I think the AD part is very clear. If you have papers not stamped by an AD you are in trouble. If you have blank stamped papers the. Just stick whoever Name is needed for warranty. If you really want to scare buyers away from grey market then publicize it. All they doing is pi#%ng people off who buy from grey or preowned and it's not under warranty. I think 2 years sucks anyway! Thank goodness can you imagine if this applied to a 5 year warranty??
Old 24 January 2017, 01:38 PM   #145
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

For PP, this new or stricter US warranty policy raises revenues and margins during a significant watch sales downturn. And it together with the ridiculously short 2 year warranty period will run off existing and prospective customers at the worst possible time.
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 02:20 PM   #146
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzng View Post
Hopefully things will get cleared out soon. I am on the side that they should honor the warranty period.
@watchucallit. if you buy a nikon lens from a regular US store, they should still honor it even though you have sold it to the 2nd buyer, right?

Correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchucallit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 04:16 PM   #147
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Yup, unless HSWA change their warranty policy.
Dancing Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 05:16 PM   #148
ash20
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
What if the quality issues are really just a ploy to get rid of the grey's? This is just one more piece of the puzzle
ash20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 06:18 PM   #149
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Fire View Post
Yup, unless HSWA change their warranty policy.
Have you written to Geneva? Cheers
Old 24 January 2017, 10:49 PM   #150
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Rolex makes an outstanding product.