The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 August 2017, 09:14 AM   #91
balmain2323
"TRF" Member

When do you think we will hear something? How does that work?
balmain2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 09:22 AM   #92
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I spoke to an AD while on vacation and she said that she should hear from Patek in about 10 days regarding delivery date. She also said that bigger ADs will get more pieces. If this process is an "application" process then I guess this won't make a difference.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 09:47 AM   #93
texex91
"TRF" Member

My AD said they will hear on allocation numbers soon (and yes numbers will be very different).

Who the hell really knows as everyone thinks they know the answer here.

It shows when it shows (or not)--no biggie.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 09:52 AM   #94
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Spoke to Thierry on the phone today. He said I can't have one because I don't have any children to pass it on to. Bummed.
Old 8 August 2017, 10:41 AM   #95
Updyke
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5522
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain2323 View Post
When do you think we will hear something? How does that work?
Patel is very discreet. I don’t think anybody including AD’s know. Their guess is as good as ours. They will release them when they release them.

I too have heard that the distribution will not necessarily be even, and larger AD’s will get a more generous number.

I guess I would rather hear yes or no asap. The suspense is not a whole lot of fun. Let all vote for tomorrow
Updyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 10:43 AM   #96
Updyke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Spoke to Thierry on the phone today. He said I can't have one because I don't have any children to pass it on to. Bummed.
Quick, adopt a child!
Old 8 August 2017, 12:51 PM   #97
KarlS
Banned

I wonder if the irrational exuberance would be tempered if HSWA advised that they would keep the papers for 2 years like the UK
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 02:34 PM   #98
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Play the video at the 3min mark and Mr Stern says it is up
The AD
https://watchjournal.com/thierry-ste...nd-exhibition/

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 02:49 PM   #99
blakeegan
Banned

Watch: 5905P, 5711
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Play the video at the 3min mark and Mr Stern says it is up
The AD
https://watchjournal.com/thierry-ste...nd-exhibition/
Pretty hard to argue that it's not up to the AD with this video...
blakeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 02:57 PM   #100
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeegan View Post
Pretty hard to argue that it's not up to the AD with this video...
And not hard to argue that each US AD will get 5-6 pieces and will sell it to their premiere clients. Outsiders that want an entry level Patek will not get a 5522, like Mr. Stern was stating. These Premiere US clients will then flip this limited production piece for a hefty profit to people in Europe, Middle East and Asia.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 03:57 PM   #101
KarlS
Banned

I like the "I really hope" .....ha ha very niave... he thinks an AD is going to give half his allocation to a "newbie" and not somebody that he wants to do a favour??? Dream on TS
Old 9 August 2017, 12:32 AM   #102
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Best quote ever: "I never thought about making children only to run Patek Philippe"... haha
Old 9 August 2017, 01:29 AM   #103
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I like the "I really hope" .....ha ha very niave... he thinks an AD is going to give half his allocation to a "newbie" and not somebody that he wants to do a favour??? Dream on TS
Maybe naive but it's really the way to get a new customer, my Patek AD operates this way unlike some others that won't sell you a hard to get watch unless you have multiple prior purchases. My first purchase was a 5711, next a sealed 5980 blue from his safe, also sold a friend the other sealed 5980 blue from his safe, and now I don't shop anywhere else. Unlike the other AD I contacted about the 5522, he said buy some of our stuff we have in stock and we will consider selling you one. Not how to get a new customer! It may be wishful thinking on Thierrys part but he has the right idea.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 02:02 AM   #104
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Maybe naive but it's really the way to get a new customer, my Patek AD operates this way unlike some others that won't sell you a hard to get watch unless you have multiple prior purchases. My first purchase was a 5711, next a sealed 5980 blue from his safe, also sold a friend the other sealed 5980 blue from his safe, and now I don't shop anywhere else. Unlike the other AD I contacted about the 5522, he said buy some of our stuff we have in stock and we will consider selling you one. Not how to get a new customer! It may be wishful thinking on Thierrys part but he has the right idea.
Absolutely the right idea but not the way to deliver a "hope" knowing the bulk of the AD are going to reward past not future clients. Would have been better to allow the AD to allocate 300 themselves and drawn a lottery on non PP owners!!

I may be delusional but I honestly can't see my AD refusing my request and giving my piece to a "newbie" who may support him in the future. It doesn't matter what the AD thinks. Potentially pi%#ss me off after a couple of hundred grand or take a chance on a new PP customer. Think I know where I will put my money
Old 9 August 2017, 02:19 AM   #105
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Fwiw the AD that is saying they will get me one has only sold me one watch. A 5711.

We shall see. Talk is cheap.
Old 9 August 2017, 02:29 AM   #106
martinr
"TRF" Member

Would a seasoned collector with a fairly large collection with grand comps etc really want a 5522? Maybe just to have it and the dollar amount doesn't mean much to him so why not. Would it get worn? I doubt it.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 02:49 AM   #107
Updyke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Would a seasoned collector with a fairly large collection with grand comps etc really want a 5522? Maybe just to have it and the dollar amount doesn't mean much to him so why not. Would it get worn? I doubt it.
Maybe a seasoned collector will get one for a friend - like a new collector or someone who hasn't invested a large sum with Patek.
Old 9 August 2017, 03:03 AM   #108
goog53
"TRF" Member

With the release of this piece, We have had more guys on this subforum who never even spoke of Patek who all of the sudden must have this piece or the world is going to end. If this was a regular production model I am curious how many of those people would be chiming in.

Old 9 August 2017, 03:27 AM   #109
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
With the release of this piece, We have had more guys on this subforum who never even spoke of Patek who all of the sudden must have this piece or the world is going to end. If this was a regular production model I am curious how many of those people would be chiming in.

Less than half would be my guess and if it weren't for the 5711 shortage I'd say none of them
Old 9 August 2017, 04:03 AM   #110
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree. The potential to flip to make a quick profit is high with this piece.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 04:11 AM   #111
goog53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
I agree. The potential to flip to make a quick profit is high with this piece.
Yep and for whatever reason it is pissing me off. It's a free country but I wish Patek held the papers for these "limited" releases and application pieces to weed out people who have zero personal interest in the watch. Just my 2cents

Old 9 August 2017, 04:21 AM   #112
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep and for whatever reason it is pissing me off. It's a free country but I wish Patek held the papers for these "limited" releases and application pieces to weed out people who have zero personal interest in the watch. Just my 2cents
Move to the UK and your wish will come true.

Here in the US it's a free market and those that wish to flip will. Holding papers is silly--many don't want to own a watch 2 years. They paid and should do what they wish with it.

If I get 5522 will I keep it forever...no. But then again, watches are meant to be bought, enjoyed, sold, repeat.
Old 9 August 2017, 04:24 AM   #113
Updyke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mike, I think that is why Patek is selecting the people who will receive this piece and all the NY pieces. They will know from every dealer the names that are submitted, and will check the record of customer purchases and their habits, like if they still have the watches they purchased or flipped them. My AD today even told me that Patek has asked for the addresses of every person whose name is submitted so they can verify. Remember supposedly Patek keeps record of the sale of every Patek sold and who purchased the piece. I too wish they could limit any under the table purchases from AD's that end up in the open market.
Old 9 August 2017, 04:34 AM   #114
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Updyke View Post
Mike, I think that is why Patek is selecting the people who will receive this piece and all the NY pieces. They will know from every dealer the names that are submitted, and will check the record of customer purchases and their habits, like if they still have the watches they purchased or flipped them. My AD today even told me that Patek has asked for the addresses of every person whose name is submitted so they can verify. Remember supposedly Patek keeps record of the sale of every Patek sold and who purchased the piece. I too wish they could limit any under the table purchases from AD's that end up in the open market.

I have doubts they will be doing private eye investigations on 600 people. Also unless the second buyer of the Patek contacts Patek and has their name attached to the piece, which I gather many don't bother, Patek won't have much information.

Now the WT MR...that's a different story lol
Old 9 August 2017, 04:39 AM   #115
goog53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Move to the UK and your wish will come true.

Here in the US it's a free market and those that wish to flip will. Holding papers is silly--many don't want to own a watch 2 years. They paid and should do what they wish with it.

If I get 5522 will I keep it forever...no. But then again, watches are meant to be bought, enjoyed, sold, repeat.
I agree two years is excessive but 3-6 months is reasonable. Getting bored with a piece and selling to buy another is fine but I'm talking about those with no intention of wearing the darn thing and looking to sell immediately. If you think that is OK then We can agree to disagree.

Old 9 August 2017, 06:52 AM   #116
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree two years is excessive but 3-6 months is reasonable. Getting bored with a piece and selling to buy another is fine but I'm talking about those with no intention of wearing the darn thing and looking to sell immediately. If you think that is OK then We can agree to disagree.
What's the difference if it's three months later? None.

At the end of the day PP can't control merchandise once they sell it...as much as like believe they can.
Old 9 August 2017, 07:06 AM   #117
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

I think they could I'm just not sure it would be good for business.

Put an rfid chip in the warranty cert/card. Allow buyers to drop by points of sale and rescan the card after each year. Award those buyers with a points system that allows them access to future releases and events.

Something along those lines.
Old 9 August 2017, 07:13 AM   #118
texex91
"TRF" Member

No RFID needed or any other silly scheme. Have a GOOD relationship and things happen. Simple.

PP is not going to go through 600 people on a $22k watch. Your AD may tell you that, but not going to happen.
Old 9 August 2017, 07:23 AM   #119
Updyke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I have doubts they will be doing private eye investigations on 600 people. Also unless the second buyer of the Patek contacts Patek and has their name attached to the piece, which I gather many don't bother, Patek won't have much information.

Now the WT MR...that's a different story lol
Hi Tom. I was at the AD today. They were ready for a conference call with HSWA in which they were to submit the list of names for the watches. Lets say David who is a faithful buyer has purchased 6 Pateks from this AD and went to the NY show. The AD submitted his name and Patek selects him as a recipient of the 5522. I guess that even though his name may be put on the paperwork and warranty, he could pass it on to another friend. However, if the other person ever came in for service, Patek would be made aware of the switch. Don't know what their response would be. It seems that PAtek is tightening their requirements in order to control the open market.
Old 9 August 2017, 07:41 AM   #120
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Updyke View Post
Hi Tom. I was at the AD today. They were ready for a conference call with HSWA in which they were to submit the list of names for the watches. Lets say David who is a faithful buyer has purchased 6 Pateks from this AD and went to the NY show. The AD submitted his name and Patek selects him as a recipient of the 5522. I guess that even though his name may be put on the paperwork and warranty, he could pass it on to another friend. However, if the other person ever came in for service, Patek would be made aware of the switch. Don't know what their response would be. It seems that PAtek is tightening their requirements in order to control the open market.

Interesting. Well let's see how it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
No RFID needed or any other silly scheme. Have a GOOD relationship and things happen. Simple.

PP is not going to go through 600 people on a $22k watch. Your AD may tell you that, but not going to happen.

I was talking about means by which Patek could directly elect to reward good customers without punishing them by keeping papers etc

My AD did not tell me that. I myself said prior I do not think they will do that.