The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11 October 2017, 11:51 AM   #1
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
I'm definitely getting a 5522A, Wait a minute I'm not getting a 5522A?!?!?!?!

The hype surrounding this watch has been unlike anything I've ever seen in my 10 Years of collecting. I am curious what some members experiences have been in trying to procure this piece. My goal of this post is to vent some frustration and get recommendations for a new AD to start a relationship with.
I have known what used to be "My AD" for 10 years. I was basically introduced to watches through them and bought brands such as Panerai, Rolex, Patek and also referred some friends and family throughout the years and helped the staff sell some pieces as well. I found out that the World Exhibition of Watches would be held in NYC when I was invited to a Patek Minute Repeater Event at HSWA that my AD's store mgr/minority owner kindly invited me to. While at lunch on a break during the event I was sitting next to the Patek sales rep (Jim is amazing!) and he mentioned there would be some special pieces being made for the US market only to celebrate the Exhibition. After the lunch, My AD made a point to say to me "Be sure to set some money aside for one of those special exhibition pieces."
Let's fast forward 10 months and the Exhibition is almost upon Us. In that time period, I had constantly been telling My AD that I definitely would like a piece to remember the Exhibition by, regardless of what it may be. I was reassured no problem and that they would take good care of me. Two days before the opening of the Exhibition, Esquire Magazine shows this special Pilot watch confirming this would be available to the US Market. I texted My AD immediately and let them know that this is the piece that has just leaked and I will gladly pay in advance to procure mine. Myself and a few watch friends as well as our wives all met in NYC and had a wonderful weekend and took in the Exhibition and a special Private Purist Pro Event on site as well. When I returned from the Exhibition, I spoke to the store mgr and sales associate numerous times as I considered them close friends as we've known each other for years and even hung out socially reiterating how badly I wanted this watch. I received an update in August via voicemail from the store mgr stating "I am very confident we'll have the watch on your wrist and am being told by Patek sometime in September." Mid-September comes and I noticed several incomings on the forums and Instagram and was anticipating the arrival of mine. I received a text message from my sales associate stating, "Hi Mike, talked to (mgr's name), you are definitely getting the piece, we would like a substantial jewelry purchase along with the purchase of the watch. The watch is being sold for $58000 on Chrono 24." When I asked what a substantial jewelry purchase meant I was told somewhere between $22,000-30,000 on jewelry in addition to the purchase of the watch which was $21,547. In the 10 years of knowing the staff at this store on a personal as well as professional level I had never been given such an absurd request. I politely told them that I had no use for jewelry but would be willing to purchase a watch such as a 5712/1A or 5164A and should someone already be on the list for those references I would have no problem waiting and prepay for either as well as the 5522A that I was told I was definitely getting via voicemail and through text message confirmations. A couple days had passed and I assumed they were checking on the availability of the watches I offered to purchase in order to get the 5522A, but instead I received a random phone call from (an out of state majority owner) who I met a few years ago for about 5 minutes. He said he wanted to introduce himself to me and let me know that I would not be getting the piece and also regarding any sports models it would be at least a year for any type of Nautilus or Aquanaut variation but if there was anything else I needed to please reach out to him on his cell phone.
To say that this whole experience was insulting would be a huge understatement. People I have known for over 10 years tried to extort money from me and then had a complete stranger who doesn't even work at the store contact me to tell me sorry pal you aren't getting the watch and I can't sell you any sport watches for at least a year but if there is anything else you need then I'm your man. SMH! I let Patek know about this incident and they said they would take it up with the Retailer. They also let me know that my name was in fact never even submitted by the AD for this piece which I found jaw dropping. The idea of a retailer guaranteeing a piece then later saying you can have it under the condition you purchase an additional $22,000-30,000 in jewelry was distasteful and something I definitely would not associate with Patek as I truly love the brand and all it stands for. It was my understanding that Mr. Stern created this piece as a Thank You to existing US customers and he had also hoped it would possibly go to new owners as well.
These are certainly 1st world problems and in the end it is just a watch but it sickens me when retailers choose to act in such poor form. At this point the only thing left for Me is to work with another AD and start a new relationship. Any recommendations of honest and ethical ADs that any members could vouch for would be greatly appreciated. Mr. Stern and HSWA if you happen to read this, Please know that my love for the brand has not changed due to this unfortunate incident and I look forward to buying my next piece some time in the future. I may sound like a broken record having said this many times but I truly believe this...The only thing better than the watches are the people behind them.

Kind Regards,

Mike

***I may not have come away with anything from the US Exhibition but was fortunate enough to get my Salmon 3940 LE made available for the previous London Exhibition***

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
Old 11 October 2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Socal to az
Banned

Utter horseshit. Out the AD as this sucks!!!! So sorry.
Old 11 October 2017, 12:05 PM   #3
Socal to az
Banned

I hope Patek goes after these clowns. This is just not right. Pisses me off to no end tohear this.
Old 11 October 2017, 12:07 PM   #4
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear Mike. Sad to see true, passionate and knowledgeable collectors who could be ambassadors for the brand get turned away and turned off by mistakes and games of the retail side and bad retail practices/people. Heck you've talked me into patek purchases over the years!

Short sighted by the AD to make a few dollars which won't even go to or help the patek brand but rather just fill the ADs pockets. ADs used to be trusted Watch advisors to loyal clients, someone who would teach you about watches and give you inside knowledge about a brand or watch. Now it seems to be all about $. Patek is a big part about tradition, friendship and longstanding relationships but it seems some ADs couldn't be quicker to stray away from those values.

.... just sad to hear...

I do think there are good and honest ADs out there however so truly hope you can find one or Patek can help you find someone to work with you and provide the service a loyal customer deserves.

Old 11 October 2017, 12:10 PM   #5
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I am so sorry my friend , you know I feel you , I walked a similar path with this AD. But like you we move on. I found an AD that I think is great, my last 2 Patek pieces I bought from them, Betteridge, great people to deal with.
Cheers

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
Old 11 October 2017, 12:11 PM   #6
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Wow...very difficult post to read. You are handling it better than I would.
Old 11 October 2017, 12:14 PM   #7
underpar31009
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and JLC
They owe you a sincere apology. Sorry you had to deal with that nonsense.
Old 11 October 2017, 12:18 PM   #8
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

What a bust. The craze around certain pieces are killing us WIS. watches are reeling and the few that can sell close to or at msrp just aren't available. I'm sorry this happened to you.
Old 11 October 2017, 12:19 PM   #9
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpar31009 View Post
They owe you a sincere apology. Sorry you had to deal with that nonsense.
They OWE him a 5522
Old 11 October 2017, 12:28 PM   #10
Socal to az
Banned

They turned a lifelong customer worth millions into an antagonistic foe for 20k. Idiots.
Old 11 October 2017, 12:29 PM   #11
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Edit
Old 11 October 2017, 12:29 PM   #12
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear of this sad story, Mike :-(

However the salmon dial 3940 is a definitely a special piece that is rarer than the 5522A.

My guess is there is a lot of "wheeling and dealing" for this 5522A at most ADs around the country.
Old 11 October 2017, 12:36 PM   #13
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Mike, I told you these guys sucked awhile ago. I am so very sorry this happened to you. What you did not mention is they even played games with you on the 5650G. They never seem to be able to level with their customers, they just try to extort money from them for items they did not ask for or want.

I really like my AD very much and went so far as to buy the sales person a gift to thank him.

I would be happy to give you my Sales AD's info whenever you want it.
Old 11 October 2017, 12:37 PM   #14
Socal to az
Banned

Who are these a-holes?

Out them
Old 11 October 2017, 12:40 PM   #15
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Total BS. I know it's a step backwards to switch ADs, but it's probably worth it. The best time to plant an oak tree is 10 years ago, but the second best time is now.
Old 11 October 2017, 12:42 PM   #16
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
So sorry to read this, I hope patek read this and pulls their AD status

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Old 11 October 2017, 12:43 PM   #17
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
If I was you I would be sure to contact HSWA and explain the situation. You're probably out of luck on the 5522 but hopefully Patek can hook you up in some other way. To be honest if my AD tried that with me I'd go nuts. I can understand if they tell you straight up you're not getting one, but trying to make you buy a bunch of high margin stuff you don't even want is complete BS.

I was prepared not to get one based on my relative standing, I don't buy GC watches (yet). My AD could not promise one of the new Speedmaster 60th but that's ok for me because if I don't get it I wasn't expecting it.

When you're ready to buy I can hook you up with salespeople from my AD if you'd like.
Old 11 October 2017, 12:51 PM   #18
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
Mike, I told you these guys sucked awhile ago. I am so very sorry this happened to you. What you did not mention is they even played games with you on the 5650G. They never seem to be able to level with their customers, they just try to extort money from them for items they did not ask for or want.

I really like my AD very much and went so far as to buy the sales person a gift to thank him.

I would be happy to give you my Sales AD's info whenever you want it.
Good point on the 5650. For a customer like Mike he should have been able to get one. I asked my AD at the time trying to get him hooked up but was told I could get it but non-transferable. They were out there for sure. At this point I'd definitely be looking to switch relationships, too many times burned.
Old 11 October 2017, 01:02 PM   #19
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Damn, does that suck. Sorry to read this.
Old 11 October 2017, 01:09 PM   #20
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Man, sorry to hear of this. Totally classless AD
Old 11 October 2017, 01:25 PM   #21
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
That is very disappointing to read.

Terrible evolution of the customer / AD relationship seems to be occurring.
Old 11 October 2017, 01:28 PM   #22
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE SUPPORT! I really do love this forum. I must have contacted over 20 forum members via private message trying to get the 5650 when it was announced and unfortunately came up short but thought for sure that getting a 5522 from My AD would be a no brainer. For all those that have received them, Please wear in good health and keep posting wrist shots of both pieces as I absolutely love them.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
Old 11 October 2017, 01:46 PM   #23
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
***I may not have come away with anything from the US Exhibition but was fortunate enough to get my Salmon 3940 LE made available for the previous London Exhibition***

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
Sorry for the sad news... But you got one of the BEST Patek Philippe 3940 LE and that all you need....^^^..

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
Old 11 October 2017, 02:08 PM   #24
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
You already know my thoughts on this... This is one of the few times I will say I'm highly disgusted with this practice by what was once considered a trusted A.D. I commend you for keeping the A.D.'s name off the forums and as I know this shows you have class, happy to consider you a friend. With that said I have a feeling you will land the 5522A. It's always great to see honest and genuine collectors obtain timepieces they will keep and enjoy rather than flip for a quick buck. Stay cool goog

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
Old 11 October 2017, 02:10 PM   #25
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Can't believe the AD could be so stupid. I would be outing them for such abhorrent behavior. You're a better man than me mike!

God that 3940 is gorgeous though
Old 11 October 2017, 02:11 PM   #26
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Ah man, so sorry to hear about this. As has been said, incredibly short sighted on the ADs part
Old 11 October 2017, 03:04 PM   #27
Star Ferry
Banned

The most ridiculous part is the AD owner thinking a personal phone call would carry any weight

"Hi, I know I've completely screwed you over and betrayed your trust, but I'd like to make it up to you by giving you a few minutes of my precious time.

This is my personal mobile line. I rarely give it out because I'm very important. If you'd like to get screwed over again, you know who to call. Once again, deepest apologies. And no, I don't have a substantive plan to make this right."
Old 11 October 2017, 03:15 PM   #28
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
You are totally justified at your shock/disgust with your PP AD. Short sighted and disingenuous. Karma is most definitely a bitch though.
Old 11 October 2017, 03:29 PM   #29
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Can't believe the AD could be so stupid. I would be outing them for such abhorrent behavior. You're a better man than me mike!
I agree that the AD needs to be named as a heads up to others considering doing business with them. Its not about dragging them through the mud as much as it is to let others know this might happen to them. I know I value my relationship with my AD, but if i knew that they had the potential to do something like this i would rather know sooner rather than later so i could consider other options.

To me its less about them not delivering a watch they said they could as that does happen, but in this case it's more about the reason they didn't. Waiting to see what secondary pricing for the watch was and then using that to leverage more purchases is pretty shady.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 11 October 2017, 03:38 PM   #30
Star Ferry
Banned

I agree with Tyler. They should be outed. This isn't the same as skipping over someone on a waiting list.
Closed Thread