The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 9 November 2017, 11:17 AM   #781
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'm sure Govberg are bothered by this, no one wants bad publicity, esp on the second largest watch forum on the net, and the premier one for luxury watches. I am surprised tho that they never addressed the issue here while they were still trying to sell watches here.
Old 9 November 2017, 12:24 PM   #782
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

It is likely that they realize that saying a single word on this thread will result in no good at all. The hate here is strong, and because of that there is nothing they can say that would not result in strong backlash (stronger than whatever already exists here).

At this point this thread is lose-lose for them.
Old 9 November 2017, 12:50 PM   #783
EDL7
"TRF" Member

They probably lost millions because of this thread..over time...
I've seen businesses put out of business by internet word of mouth..as it tends to grow and grow..esp if they actually dain to retort in defense..and don't solve the problem asap 110%..
But it looks like this business has cash to spare..and if they go out tomorrow..they still will be set for life..
But that said..
This is just like the car business..its just a business..you are just a $ # to them in the end..no matter what you think you are..
And its best to mirror that feeling back..when appropriate..
In business..you have no friends..esp if large quantities of cash for rare items is at stake..
Old 9 November 2017, 12:54 PM   #784
KarlS
Banned

If anyone is interested Google Gerald Ratner a perfect example of a company losing everything over 1 comment
Old 9 November 2017, 01:11 PM   #785
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Lot of profit in them there watches.
I think you.missing the point
Old 9 November 2017, 01:14 PM   #786
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
If anyone is interested Google Gerald Ratner a perfect example of a company losing everything over 1 comment
A lot of parallels there, and sounds like Danny considers us much like the decanter set at Ratners.
Old 9 November 2017, 01:31 PM   #787
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
It is likely that they realize that saying a single word on this thread will result in no good at all. The hate here is strong, and because of that there is nothing they can say that would not result in strong backlash (stronger than whatever already exists here).

At this point this thread is lose-lose for them.
A novel thought!!!! Contact the OP apologizing and stating that this is not company policy but rather a rogue salesperson try g to achieve sales targets. It's certainly not company policy to do confitional selling. That this directive has been circulated to all staff and we are attaching a copy. That the rogue employee will go through a disciplinary process a d that this is now a valuable learning and training tool for all our staff- in fact we so happy that you brought this to our attention we would like to offer you a pair of calatrava cufflinks. Unfortunately we still can't give you a 5522 based purely on your previous sales history! Think this may have worked???
Old 9 November 2017, 01:57 PM   #788
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
A novel thought!!!! Contact the OP apologizing and stating that this is not company policy but rather a rogue salesperson try g to achieve sales targets. It's certainly not company policy to do confitional selling. That this directive has been circulated to all staff and we are attaching a copy. That the rogue employee will go through a disciplinary process a d that this is now a valuable learning and training tool for all our staff- in fact we so happy that you brought this to our attention we would like to offer you a pair of calatrava cufflinks. Unfortunately we still can't give you a 5522 based purely on your previous sales history! Think this may have worked???
Well said.
Old 9 November 2017, 02:05 PM   #789
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I would've reached out directly to the OP and explained, apologized, and maybe worked out something.
Old 9 November 2017, 02:05 PM   #790
Star Ferry
Banned

They could definitely have handled thi situation better. However I doubt this will affect their bottom line

Most members on TRF want sports models that already have waiting lists. That doesn't move the needle for Govberg. It's the non-enthusiasts who really butter their bread.
Old 9 November 2017, 02:14 PM   #791
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Wow! And his wife told him otheriwse! He must have take so much crap over the years
Old 9 November 2017, 04:31 PM   #792
jopek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, IWC , Rolex
:( :( Speechless.
I did not think such "blackmail" even existed today.
I would report to Local Trading Standards Office
Old 9 November 2017, 10:40 PM   #793
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I remember as a kid every Xmas that was a go to store and then in the blink of an eye the company was toast.
Old 9 November 2017, 11:45 PM   #794
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
^^^ Hire that man!
Old 10 November 2017, 12:08 AM   #795
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
I think you.missing the point
Hi Karl,

Just a casual observation of the luxury watch market totally unrelated to the point of this thread and the point of your post.
Old 10 November 2017, 01:31 AM   #796
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
IMO, the reason this wasn't nipped in the bud like that was because there were too many damning facts to claim it was "one bad apple." Wasn't it some regional higher up who called to deliver the bad news? This wasn't a rogue salesperson trying to coerce a jewelry sale. This was seemingly a systematic approach for those customers who weren't high enough up the food chain to "qualify" for a 5522 without throwing Govberg a $22k-$30k bone.
Old 10 November 2017, 01:46 AM   #797
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
^^^ Hire that man!
Judging by Karl's IG, he doesn't need hiring, he's doing alright.
Old 10 November 2017, 03:06 AM   #798
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
They could definitely have handled thi situation better. However I doubt this will affect their bottom line

Most members on TRF want sports models that already have waiting lists. That doesn't move the needle for Govberg. It's the non-enthusiasts who really butter their bread.
I was in Philly and was going to see them about an AP. Saw this, did not go and instead placed order at AP boutique in NYC. Will that watch sell to someone else? Of course, but inventory turns matter.
Old 10 November 2017, 03:55 AM   #799
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
IMO, the reason this wasn't nipped in the bud like that was because there were too many damning facts to claim it was "one bad apple." Wasn't it some regional higher up who called to deliver the bad news? This wasn't a rogue salesperson trying to coerce a jewelry sale. This was seemingly a systematic approach for those customers who weren't high enough up the food chain to "qualify" for a 5522 without throwing Govberg a $22k-$30k bone.
Sure but once this issue had caught fire they could have said sorry we got a bit carried away in all the hype, and having had a good think about it in the cold light of the internet day we have decided we acted unwisely and we profoundly apologise for our actions and our attitude and thank you for keeping us honest. Our reputation is important to us and the customer is indeed king.
Old 10 November 2017, 04:01 AM   #800
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Sure but once this issue had caught fire they could have said sorry we got a bit carried away in all the hype, and having had a good think about it in the cold light of the internet day we have decided we acted unwisely and we profoundly apologise for our actions and our attitude and thank you for keeping us honest. Customer is king.
That's true, but many companies don't want to admit they have that much egg on their face, unless forced to. I don't know if an admittedly very long thread about this on TRF is enough to stimulate a mea culpa for a chain as big as Govberg. <pause to google Govberg> Do they really only have three stores?
Old 10 November 2017, 05:27 AM   #801
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
That's true, but many companies don't want to admit they have that much egg on their face, unless forced to. I don't know if an admittedly very long thread about this on TRF is enough to stimulate a mea culpa for a chain as big as Govberg. <pause to google Govberg> Do they really only have three stores?
I think the grace period on offering an apology has long passed. We know what business practices the dealer in question operates under and it's of your own volition to do business with them or not. Some will still do business with them especially if they have the watch they desire in stock. Others will not because of principle. It's as simple as that at this point.
Old 10 November 2017, 01:09 PM   #802
NiceShirt
"TRF" Member

They just spent 8.5 million dollars on a new headquarters adorned with giant sized Marvel characters....but I digress....
I doubt this forum will hurt them going forward. More likely future success/failure will be determined by their major push into the preowned market. Which I think is a logical way to regain control over pricing from manufacturers who have been cutting margins, cracking down on discounting, restricting supply of popular references, yanking AD's and opening boutiques. It also gives them more control over inventory and allows them to present customers with more choice by including discontinued references and lower price points. We'll see how this affects their discounting practices at retail and their relationship with manufacturers. They also risk souring potential customers with lowball trade in offers.
From watching their youtube channel and using their app, I feel they have an overly commodified view of pre-owned watches. Their preowned listings make no mention of condition, service history, case polishing etc. There are currently two 5196P's listed, both with box and papers but a 1K difference in price. Why???
Old 10 November 2017, 02:23 PM   #803
KarlS
Banned

My hunch is that they may need to build their relationship with PP and possibly favours of certain watches are going to be a bit more difficult in the future.
Old 10 November 2017, 10:40 PM   #804
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceShirt View Post
They just spent 8.5 million dollars on a new headquarters adorned with giant sized Marvel characters....but I digress....
I doubt this forum will hurt them going forward. More likely future success/failure will be determined by their major push into the preowned market. Which I think is a logical way to regain control over pricing from manufacturers who have been cutting margins, cracking down on discounting, restricting supply of popular references, yanking AD's and opening boutiques. It also gives them more control over inventory and allows them to present customers with more choice by including discontinued references and lower price points. We'll see how this affects their discounting practices at retail and their relationship with manufacturers. They also risk souring potential customers with lowball trade in offers.
From watching their youtube channel and using their app, I feel they have an overly commodified view of pre-owned watches.
This makes perfect sense. It's kind of playing dirty, but still on the level legally. Having leverage on both the New and Pre-Owned market is a brilliant idea. One might argue, it could make them indispensable to a manufacturer. I'm surprised more ADs haven't come up with this plan, I know Tourneau has a pre-owned division, but not as E-Commerce friendly as the one mentioned in this thread.

Quote:
My hunch is that they may need to build their relationship with PP and possibly favours of certain watches are going to be a bit more difficult in the future.
Agreed, but PP isn't their own golden goose.
Old 10 November 2017, 11:04 PM   #805
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiancekofb View Post
This makes perfect sense. It's kind of playing dirty, but still on the level legally. Having leverage on both the New and Pre-Owned market is a brilliant idea. One might argue, it could make them indispensable to a manufacturer. I'm surprised more ADs haven't come up with this plan, I know Tourneau has a pre-owned division, but not as E-Commerce friendly as the one mentioned in this thread.

Agreed, but PP isn't their own golden goose.
And let's be honest PP doesn't need them....in fact thinning the Ad's gives existing Ad's a bit more volume....
Old 10 November 2017, 11:06 PM   #806
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Mike, you're a better man than I. You handled this with much more class and grace that I imagine I would have.
Old 11 November 2017, 12:08 AM   #807
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
I can say also first hand Govberg has implemented shady business practices the past few years. I have purchased a few non Patek pieces from them in the past few years AP and Rolex . When I recently called about a new piece they had for sale online they made it clear I didn't do enough business to be considered for a sports model Patek. They gave me the impression on the phone if I was willing to pay significantly over list with a wink and nod I may be considered.
Old 11 November 2017, 12:09 AM   #808
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
Op I am not the least bit surprised they did you wrong and have decided to take my watch purchases elsewhere also.
Old 27 November 2017, 12:27 PM   #809
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
This thread has been returned as reference and Forum legacy material .

The posts contained herein are the opinions and statements of the individual posters and may not be representative of the Forums 190,000 plus members.
Closed Thread