The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 April 2018, 11:45 AM   #31
martinr
"TRF" Member

Easy decision not even close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 12:09 PM   #32
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post

Looking good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
That’s interesting. Wasn’t the story that they were for non big time buyers like yourself? I thought that’s what I heard - they were more to hook casual buyers then people like yourself who are already VIP status.

To be fair, I am absolutely no VIP but I expressed interest and went to the exhibition and was happy to get a 5522. Thought the allocation in my particular case was fair actually.

5522 is “worth” retail as I’ve said before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 April 2018, 12:11 PM   #33
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Again I am shocked by the 5930. Current production Chronos really not holding their own it seems... is it just a production numbers thing??

Old 22 April 2018, 12:11 PM   #34
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I’m glad beginning collectors like myself could get one.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 12:12 PM   #35
martinr
"TRF" Member

I agree it is worth retail, going to the exhibition made a big difference. But north of 40K no way.
Old 22 April 2018, 12:13 PM   #36
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I’m glad beginning collectors like myself could get one.
Funny. You should do stand up.
Old 22 April 2018, 12:16 PM   #37
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
Again I am shocked by the 5930. Current production Chronos really not holding their own it seems... is it just a production numbers thing??

That guy could of done better on his own I think. What about Antiquorums rep, that might of had something to do with it and the unsold lots.
Old 22 April 2018, 12:18 PM   #38
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That guy could of done better on his own I think. What about Antiquorums rep, that might of had something to do with it and the unsold lots.

I’m sure. Many peoples don’t want to bid with antiquorum in light of recent scandals and solvency issues. Unless we are talking about a very rare/unique Watch, I can’t for the life of me understand why you would consign anything at auction.... very silly. But auctions do help understand where the market is and is heading...

Old 22 April 2018, 07:49 PM   #39
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I was in the room - it was a very low energy auction, far too many lots unsold suggest Antiquorum are pushing their estimates too high. Sadly I missed the preview and several of the pieces I was interested were not in the foyer during the event so I couldn't examine them even on the day. To be fair though, the real litmus test will be the May auctions.
Old 22 April 2018, 08:12 PM   #40
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s very true but I wanted one to keep and wear and even though I asked two AD’s for one I was turned down. The funny or not so funny part depending on how you look at it is the Patek sales rep knew I applied twice to increase my chances of getting one.
No, the funniest part is how Patek ‘wanted’ this to be a watch, that younger guys could purchase and get their feet wet with the brand. That worked well
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 08:44 PM   #41
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
No, the funniest part is how Patek ‘wanted’ this to be a watch, that younger guys could purchase and get their feet wet with the brand. That worked well
it was a disaster from the start. A mainline, regular production steel pilot could have accomplished that. A LE just made sure it was not going to first time customers for the vast majority of the allocations. The intent of what TS said and the reality of what AD's do to keep their existing VIP clients happy is different.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 09:18 PM   #42
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
The results don’t surprise me. Being limited does not in itself make a watch desirable.
Agree completely.

5524 any day of the week
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 09:20 PM   #43
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah that was totally naive by PP
Old 22 April 2018, 10:05 PM   #44
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:

Great shots of an extremely nice timepiece
The balance in the dial & design is exceptional.
Old 22 April 2018, 11:00 PM   #45
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It worked somewhat well. I am probably on the younger side of the demographic and I haven't even met Thierry Stern in person, although I did see the door to his office.
Old 22 April 2018, 11:05 PM   #46
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It worked somewhat well. I am probably on the younger side of the demographic and I haven't even met Thierry Stern in person, although I did see the door to his office.
I’m in my late 20s and think this was a disaster. I enjoy pilot type watches and this is a good looking watch that I would purchase at MSRP. I didn’t realize at first it was going to be a LE that’s practically impossible to get. I thought this would be a worldwide normal release one could obtain with relative ease.

My small group of friends, who are interested in watches, also feel the same. They own Rolex, Omega, Panerai, IWC, etc.....thinking ok, this is something that overlaps our tastes, isn’t typical Patek, doesn’t cost a year’s salary, and is even being marketed ‘for’ us. In the end, was kind of a huge turn off to them, just solidifying even more that Patek isn’t their cup of tea.

It may not seem like a huge deal as we’re in the midst of this whole Nautilus craze, but once that wears off, if I’m even seeing frustration with younger guys at that catastrophe, I think it was a major misstep by PP to grow their purchasing base.
Old 22 April 2018, 11:16 PM   #47
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m in my late 20s and think this was a disaster. I enjoy pilot type watches and this is a good looking watch that I would purchase at MSRP. I didn’t realize at first it was going to be a LE that’s practically impossible to get. I thought this would be a worldwide normal release one could obtain with relative ease. My small group of friends, who are interested in watches, also feel the same. Was kind of a huge turn off to them, just solidifying even more that Patek isn’t for them.
I wish I was in my late 20s, I'd trade my 5522 to accomplish that.

The thing about Patek is they release new watches every year. So the game is long term. You're at the age where you can wait and see if something they release for standard production works for you and then pick it up. Of course perhaps that type of perspective only comes with age.
Old 22 April 2018, 11:37 PM   #48
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wish I was in my late 20s, I'd trade my 5522 to accomplish that.

The thing about Patek is they release new watches every year. So the game is long term. You're at the age where you can wait and see if something they release for standard production works for you and then pick it up. Of course perhaps that type of perspective only comes with age.
I’m sort of an exception I feel, most could care less what a Patek is at my age, I’ve been obsessed with watches since 14-15.

I completely agree on the new watches being released! Not to mention, with the Aquanaut release this year, those Pilot releases as of late, one can’t argue that Patek isn’t ‘branching out’. I think we’ll definitely see some more ‘modern sport’ models in the coming years.

The 5522 debacle just really annoyed me. I’m extremely conservative for the most part with my taste in watches, as in, I love timeless designs. This model fits that category perfectly, but was flat out impossible for me to obtain as I’m in Germany right now. Others might say the 5524 is available, but being PM and having an extra complication, that price range gives way to a bunch of other watches I’d prefer over a Pilot.

If Patek would have a general release steel pilot, as well as update the 5196 with a larger movement/see through caseback, I would be one happy camper!
Old 22 April 2018, 11:50 PM   #49
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Others might say the 5524 is available, but being PM and having an extra complication, that price range gives way to a bunch of other watches I’d prefer over a Pilot.
Totally agree on this one. When the 5524 was shown at Basel I liked the watch immediately but I didn't want the travel time or white gold case. At that price point I'd be considering other pieces like a Lange 1815 chrono (at MSRP, although available with good discounts) or even something like a 5711R or perhaps something from FPJ.
Old 23 April 2018, 12:00 AM   #50
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Boy how the worm has turned regarding TRF's view of the 5522!
Old 23 April 2018, 12:08 AM   #51
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Totally agree on this one. When the 5524 was shown at Basel I liked the watch immediately but I didn't want the travel time or white gold case. At that price point I'd be considering other pieces like a Lange 1815 chrono (at MSRP, although available with good discounts) or even something like a 5711R or perhaps something from FPJ.
Haha exactly! That black dial 1815 Chrono is an amazing piece! And you can definitely scoop it up cheaper than a 5524 due to Lange’s awful resale.
Old 23 April 2018, 12:13 AM   #52
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
id still love one, just not at anywhere near the price of a 5524 as i prefer that one in every way.

I like an explorer also, but if it was selling at the price of a sky dweller, i would buy the sky dweller.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 23 April 2018, 12:16 AM   #53
dmash
"TRF" Member

Can someone remind me? Were all 600 pieces already released? Or was it tiered, as in something like 200 for three years?

I ask, because Patek isn’t going to do any type of general release pilot until all 600 of these are allocated. Looking ahead to next year’s SIHH...
Old 23 April 2018, 12:19 AM   #54
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can someone remind me? Were all 600 pieces already released? Or was it tiered, as in something like 200 for three years?

I ask, because Patek isn’t going to do any type of general release pilot until all 600 of these are allocated. Looking ahead to next year’s SIHH...
while i dont think its out of the question for a general release simple pilot, how do you suppose its going to be configured? I really dont think they will release the same watch just without the NY writing on the case back.

Its going to be a different watch and quite frankly i dont know what would be better or comparable to SS case, blue dial, and calfskin strap. Unless they add a date or something to make it different. Date sub dial at 6 would be perfect, but then its getting pretty close looking to the 5524.
Old 23 April 2018, 12:23 AM   #55
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
while i dont think its out of the question for a general release simple pilot, how do you suppose its going to be configured? I really dont think they will release the same watch just without the NY writing on the case back.

Its going to be a different watch and quite frankly i dont know what would be better or comparable to SS case, blue dial, and calfskin strap. Unless they add a date or something to make it different. Date sub dial at 6 would be perfect, but then its getting pretty close looking to the 5524.
Idk, but I just think they’ll do ‘something’....surely they won’t keep their Pilot range a white gold, travel time piece only. Just doesn’t really make sense...

I just would really like a 40-42mm Patek sporty piece. The Aquanaut is cool, but doesn’t float my boat with the ‘grenade’ dial. A Pilot can be worn casually with everything, just a great piece in a collection.

Who knows lately with the watchmaking world though. Nothing makes sense
Old 23 April 2018, 12:36 AM   #56
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
id still love one, just not at anywhere near the price of a 5524 as i prefer that one in every way.

I like an explorer also, but if it was selling at the price of a sky dweller, i would buy the sky dweller.
Oh, I agree. Attractiveness is tied to value. I love the SS Daytona, but at $20 grand, I'd pass and buy something else. Well, I guess I already did that.
Old 23 April 2018, 01:19 AM   #57
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I agree. I seemed that just a few months ago, people would give their left @$& to get one on these.

Now that it fails at auction, where's the love?

This watch was NEVER made to bring in new younger buyers. Everyone one I know owns several PP's and PP's with complications to boot.

Just as I do not believe that a Nat. or Aqua is made to bring in new buyers. These watches are produced so the FAT CAT doesn't have to wear a PC MR on his yacht.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 01:44 AM   #58
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Well Stern said in an interview regarding the 5522:

“It has to be also for someone who as I just said, is young, who is going to start with Patek Philippe; we should also give him the chance to wear such a piece”
Old 23 April 2018, 01:53 AM   #59
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Well Stern said in an interview regarding the 5522:

“It has to be also for someone who as I just said, is young, who is going to start with Patek Philippe; we should also give him the chance to wear such a piece”
I believe that he said it, however I don't believe it happen.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 02:09 AM   #60
kultschar
"TRF" Member

I guess at 600 pieces no chance lol