The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 April 2018, 03:31 AM   #61
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Boy how the worm has turned regarding TRF's view of the 5522!
I didn’t say anything because other people were enjoying there’s and I try to never post negatively about watches other people have spent money on, but it seems the little boy noticed the emperor was naked. This watch.... is not interesting or attractive.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 03:55 AM   #62
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
I didn’t say anything because other people were enjoying there’s and I try to never post negatively about watches other people have spent money on, but it seems the little boy noticed the emperor was naked. This watch.... is not interesting or attractive.
weirdly enough i think it increased appreciation for the 5524. The 5522 is great but i think it made people look again at the 24.

Individual preferences aside, generally more people do seem to appreciate it in past year.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 04:11 AM   #63
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
This watch.... is not interesting or attractive.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 04:36 AM   #64
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I understand it’s a hype driven market right now, but Zenith or IWC puts that watch out and nobody even knows it exists. It’s like when a famous band puts out a crappy song but it gets airplay because of the band’s stature. It’s the “Fool In the Rain” of watches.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 05:58 AM   #65
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s the “Fool In the Rain” of watches.
Old 23 April 2018, 06:23 AM   #66
martinr
"TRF" Member

Kind of like Richard Mille.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 06:29 AM   #67
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
:::))))) yes
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 06:32 AM   #68
martinr
"TRF" Member

And the 5522 has a distinct advantage, you can look at it and know what time it is.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 07:13 AM   #69
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Quote:
Originally Posted by marciano490 View Post
i understand it’s a hype driven market right now, but zenith or iwc puts that watch out and nobody even knows it exists. It’s like when a famous band puts out a crappy song but it gets airplay because of the band’s stature. It’s the “fool in the rain” of watches.
x2
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 07:13 AM   #70
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Quote:
And the 5522 has a distinct advantage, you can look at it and know what time it is.
So true!
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 07:20 AM   #71
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
weirdly enough i think it increased appreciation for the 5524. The 5522 is great but i think it made people look again at the 24.

Individual preferences aside, generally more people do seem to appreciate it in past year.
IMHO the 24 is in a totally different league from the 22.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 09:16 AM   #72
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
When they were both the same price (around $50k), it was hard not to look at the 5524 and say, "It's white gold, it has the time travel complication, and it's the same price."

At $21,500 or thereabouts, the 5522 is pretty interesting, at least to me!
Old 23 April 2018, 09:28 AM   #73
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Lol. Agreed 100%... for me RM is a matter of time before it comes crashing down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 April 2018, 09:30 AM   #74
codecow
"TRF" Member

Let us not forget that the 5522 can make you feel full when you’re hungry and hungry when you’re full.
Old 23 April 2018, 09:31 AM   #75
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
Lol. Agreed 100%... for me RM is a matter of time before it comes crashing down

I recently read that many RMs sell for over list in the used market. I admit the closest I've gotten to RM is walking past their boutique on (or right off of) Rodeo Drive on vaca. I didn't go in to see if Kevin Hart was in there...
Old 23 April 2018, 09:34 AM   #76
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I recently read that many RMs sell for over list in the used market. I admit the closest I've gotten to RM is walking past their boutique on (or right off of) Rodeo Drive on vaca. I didn't go in to see if Kevin Hart was in there...

I mean talk about markets that make no sense! To me at least...

I understand RM makes something like 4,000 Watches and outsources all of their components. Those watches will age terribly so as a guy who appreciates vintage the entire thing makes absolutely no sense to me. Lastly most of the guys I know who buy RM seem to flip them fast and often... just weird all around. But hey obviously they have been very successful as of late so I guess they are doing something right.

Old 23 April 2018, 09:44 AM   #77
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
I mean talk about markets that make no sense! To me at least...

I understand RM makes something like 4,000 Watches and outsources all of their components. Those watches will age terribly so as a guy who appreciates vintage the entire thing makes absolutely no sense to me. Lastly most of the guys I know who buy RM seem to flip them fast and often... just weird all around. But hey obviously they have been very successful as of late so I guess they are doing something right.
This thread is the first time I’ve mentioned RM. I previously avoided it under the “if you don’t have anything nice to say...” principal.
Old 23 April 2018, 10:49 AM   #78
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

No question RMs market is out of control without justification for the prices. I will also agree that many RM collectors flip frequently and often (myself included) for the next best thing.

What I will say is that every brand starts somewhere, and history takes time. I’m not going to count them out just because they don’t have the heritage of PP. Remember, at some point, PP was a no name catchy brand.

Things change-some things may not be accepted, some will, and others left behind.

Only time will tell- I don’t know!!!! I am happy to have both brands! But have been adding too much PP recently!
Old 23 April 2018, 10:57 AM   #79
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toucan View Post
x2
We can all be a little blind sometimes when it comes to brands we love, and we can all get caught up in the hype. Human nature. Patek put out a lot of crap and some of it drops like lead and some gets carried away on the wave of hype. Recently it seems to be more of the latter.

I'm not singling out Patek here though, plenty of other brands put out crap year after year too. However I do think many in the Patek fraternity seem to be more blind to this than collectors of other brands.

Personally I thought this watch was unappealing and I passed on it. My mistake was believing that others would also think the same. Believe me if I had thought the resale would be even $30k I would have taken it and sold it on.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 11:31 AM   #80
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think it is a great buy at retail, but priced too low which exponentially led to so much over-hype, same with the D500 and 5711, all worth their retail, but no more to me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 11:34 AM   #81
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
We can all be a little blind sometimes when it comes to brands we love, and we can all get caught up in the hype. Human nature. Patek put out a lot of crap and some of it drops like lead and some gets carried away on the wave of hype. Recently it seems to be more of the latter.

I'm not singling out Patek here though, plenty of other brands put out crap year after year too. However I do think many in the Patek fraternity seem to be more blind to this than collectors of other brands.

Personally I thought this watch was unappealing and I passed on it. My mistake was believing that others would also think the same. Believe me if I had thought the resale would be even $30k I would have taken it and sold it on.
That this type of hype has reached many Rolexes and then even far more expensive Pateks is really something else, but at the street culture level with sneakers etc this is getting common, esp with SM Insta really fuelling the mania, I still can't get over Supreme LV caps selling for £900. They probably cost £2 to make.

People are now collecting the hype, rather than the items.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 12:12 PM   #82
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hey, you are right. It's not PP, RN, or Rolex.

The markets are good, real estate is blowing up, please made boat loads on crypto. I hate to say it, but we are all giving these watch brands WAY too much credit.

RM has hit it super hard based on its image and persona, other top money has been spread accordingly. I hate to say it, but it's no different than in a down market. Everything is hot, EVERYONE has money to spend.

It's only when the markets turn, when we see who stands
Old 23 April 2018, 02:42 PM   #83
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
Hey, you are right. It's not PP, RN, or Rolex.

The markets are good, real estate is blowing up, please made boat loads on crypto. I hate to say it, but we are all giving these watch brands WAY too much credit.

RM has hit it super hard based on its image and persona, other top money has been spread accordingly. I hate to say it, but it's no different than in a down market. Everything is hot, EVERYONE has money to spend.

It's only when the markets turn, when we see who stands
I have been telling my close friends and family this for some time. I haven’t lost money on a watch in the last year and a half or so. These are used pieces of jewelry...used jewelry is selling above its inflated asking price.

Old 23 April 2018, 02:46 PM   #84
OH2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I think the stock market will correct this year but not enough to hurt the watch market. Come 2020, we'll see which brand will stand the hard time. My bet is a few PP pieces and rolex will do ok, but others will suffer big.
OH2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 03:10 PM   #85
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taeham View Post
I think the stock market will correct this year but not enough to hurt the watch market. Come 2020, we'll see which brand will stand the hard time. My bet is a few PP pieces and rolex will do ok, but others will suffer big.
Hate them or love them, Rolex will always at the minimum, be 'ok'. In practically every part of the world, from rags to riches, people know what a Rolex is. Their sales may dip, but they'll make it through without issue.

I'm in agreement about the market though. I can't wait for the market to correct, which will in turn (I hope) put a halt to this absolutely ridiculous stainless sport-watch buying spree Rolex and PP are currently experiencing. It's bringing people to the table who never cared about watches before, solely looking to flip, or just wear while it's hot, then flip. What I can wait for, is the loss of employment and families affected by said major corrections. That's no laughing matter, and always comes along with what I believe is going to be a pretty stark correction.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 09:01 PM   #86
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
That this type of hype has reached many Rolexes and then even far more expensive Pateks is really something else, but at the street culture level with sneakers etc this is getting common, esp with SM Insta really fuelling the mania, I still can't get over Supreme LV caps selling for £900. They probably cost £2 to make.

People are now collecting the hype, rather than the items.
People are collecting the hype. 100%.

That LV x Supreme cotton hoodie, which a very well known and respected watch collector wore to the Paul Newman auction at Phillips last fall, was selling between $5k and $10k. And while brands like Supreme have been "hot" or "hyped" for many years IG and other social media have brought this to a new level.

I've followed a site/magazine called Hypebeast for many years. It covers footwear, fashion, music and some other stuff. Mostly flagging the release (or "drop" as the kids say) of new stuff. I could be wrong about this but high end watches I believe started showing up on Hypebeast at a regular pace in 2012/2013. Before that it was g-shocks, which fit well with the general streetwear look/culture for the most part, and others. Both Patek and Rolex feature heavily.

Hype.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 09:41 PM   #87
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

over retail is one thing, but the fact that i genuinely like the pilots and objectively they are very nice watches is also true.

I dislike this idea that Patek or any brand must make watches that appeal to everyone. Not saying you specifically, just in general.

Liking a Patek pilot does not mean you are buying into any hype. Its actually the opposite for me. I like it more because its a poke in the eye to establishment Patek fans who push their ideas of what a Patek is supposed to be onto me. Its supposed to divide opinions and that is appealing as much as the watch itself is.

The 5522 got a bit carried away, but its still a nice watch and the hype dying down doesnt make it any less of a nice watch.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 23 April 2018, 09:44 PM   #88
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
A hoodie for 10k lol?

Makes this watch hobbie seem more reasonable haha
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 11:09 PM   #89
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I understand it’s a hype driven market right now, but Zenith or IWC puts that watch out and nobody even knows it exists. It’s like when a famous band puts out a crappy song but it gets airplay because of the band’s stature. It’s the “Fool In the Rain” of watches.
Can you point me to where IWC produces a no date, time only pilot at 42mm? Or where Zenith produce this without a huge onion crown? Thanks
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 11:13 PM   #90
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Can you point me to where IWC produces a no date, time only pilot at 42mm? Or where Zenith produce this without a huge onion crown? Thanks
even pilots that are fairly close, once you handle them there is no comparison.

Using that logic no one needs to buy Patek at all, Frederique Constant makes many, many similar looking watches so why pay more for Patek. The IWC, Zenith argument is selective justification and its the most common critique of the Patek pilots since they were first released.