The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 November 2018, 12:39 AM   #61
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
For me, no way. True the 5711 is overhyped and the value is inflated, but a watch "market" value doesn't follow according to the intrinsic value of the actual watch. It will always be desirable and in demand. It will be impossible for you to buy back a 5711 at retail unless you want to start building the AD relationship thing again. Not to mention the 5711 is still hautehorology made in limited quantities while any Rolex watch is mass-produced. Also as the previous poster has pointed out, if it's discontinued, the value will skyrocket for sure.

Actually imo, the Platona is also over-hyped althuogh in a different way. The exact same watch in SS can be had for a fraction of the cost with the same movement so basically you are paying multiple times premium markup purely for the watch to be in platinum ( comparing MSRP SS Daytona with Platona ). If it is limited and/or hard to get, it might be worth it but it's not. But then, I might be biased as I don't like Daytona.

As for robustness, no question Rolex is better but have you wear platinum watch over pro-longed period before? It weighs a ton and you have to be sure you can get use to the weight.

End of the day, go with your heart. Or if in doubt, then just do nothing. Good luck.
Old 26 November 2018, 12:55 AM   #62
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
i would keep the timeless 5711 and pick up a steel daytona.

i had experienced a resistance to wearing my 5711 when i first got it because i had great trepidation about marking it up... eventually i settled in and began wearing it regularly... my experience was the more you wear it the more you'll want to wear it.

while they are each built to serve as an all purpose daily wear, the 5711 is a timeless work of art, by comparison the Platona is (imho) ostentatious.

i like daytonas and have owned 3, each of them was sold after short time for issues of legibility and function, the platona is a nice iteration but still has the same issues of legibility and impractical screwed down crowns and a chrono that is exceptionally difficult to read. a platinum daytona is readily available and can be had easily, the 5711 is not available and will likely continue that way.

as far as the market and values, its all speculation... if we look at the steel daytona's performance through market shifts we would see a solid performer even in down market, i expect the 5711 has turned that corner and has appeal to a broader watch audience into the future, i would not expect a significant price drop.

practically speaking, one has a date and one doesn't. What's your preference?

Old 26 November 2018, 12:58 AM   #63
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

No way, keep what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 01:09 AM   #64
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
5711 is flimsy and overrated, platona all the way.
Bas, it is made of steel, it is thinner than many sports watches but its not meant to support furniture. in my experience it is not flimsy at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Say what you will, the 5711 is all hype. Beautiful dial, exquisite decoration of the movement but otherwise makes no sense. It isn't durable or very waterproof,and doesn't hack. It is pretty and dainty though and social media has hyped it.
But the Daytona is three times the watch it is, and it's a precious metal.

I would make this trade ASAP.
the 5711 is in fact more water resistant than the daytona.

hacking is just a stick being thrown into the gears of the watch to stop them... it is a minor horological achievement.
Old 26 November 2018, 01:16 AM   #65
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
Yep go for the deal
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 01:20 AM   #66
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I am truly surprised in a PP subforum that there are so many "yes I'd trade" responses!

I absolutely love my Daytona and wear it every day. It, for me, is like the 5711 for you: by far the most expensive watch I have ever bought. Well, my only other nice watch was a Datejust bought in 1985, so I am not a typical TRF member. It sounds to me like, 1) you don't really love wearing the 5711, and 2) perhaps the high "value" of it detracts from your comfort enjoying it.

If that is the case, then the platinum Daytona will not be much more comfortable on your wrist, given the similar market value, and of course the 2 1/2 times higher MSRP. So perhaps a SS Daytona or WG Daytona (with bracelet or OysterFlex) would be a choice you could get more comfortable wearing and enjoying.

If you mainly don't wear the 5711 because you think it's fragile and you just don't love wearing it, then the platinum Daytona could be a much better choice. I think it's very robust, as all Rolexes are. I don't think twice about wearing mine every day, although I do smile every morning when I strap it on (two years into ownership). It is exactly as robust as one would want in a daily and the only thing that perhaps isn't daily-appropriate about it is the value. I insured it (which I hadn't done with my DJ for years) and know that when it needs a servicing, I can get it lightly polished (if I so choose) and will look brand new. So I don't really have a care in the world when wearing it.

In the two years since I bought it, it seems like good used prices have climbed from mid-40s to low/mid-50s, but a) who cares, and b) where they go from here is anyone's guess.

In summary, I'd buy whatever watch you can see yourself wearing and enjoying. The platinum Daytona is that perfect watch for me, but only you can know if it will be that perfect watch for you.
I think this thread started in the Rolex forum so there is that.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 01:23 AM   #67
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
1 for 1 is a pretty good deal at current market valuations. I personally prefer the SS daytona : ), you could always sell the platona if you need.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 01:24 AM   #68
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think this thread started in the Rolex forum so there is that.
Ah, that makes sense.

I usually think, "If OP wants a Rolex, they will post a 'should I trade PP for Rolex thread' in Rolex sub-forum. If OP wants a PP, post it in PP forum."
Old 26 November 2018, 01:36 AM   #69
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Bas, it is made of steel, it is thinner than many sports watches but its not meant to support furniture. in my experience it is not flimsy at all

the 5711 is in fact more water resistant than the daytona.

hacking is just a stick being thrown into the gears of the watch to stop them... it is a minor horological achievement.
It doesn't have screwed links at that price point and I hate the clasp. Flimsy is indeed a bit too harsh and the look of the 5711 is stellar, but at these prices it is very far from worth it IMO.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 01:45 AM   #70
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I'd do it if you love the 116506. Quickly too.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 01:53 AM   #71
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Both are tremendous and I’ve owned both. Tbh I babied them both so there’s that. Guess what I’m saying is, you may have similar reservations about the 506. If you aren’t wearing the 5711 then I do think it’s smart to sell high so would lean to trading. That said, you are giving up a tremendous amount of liquidity IMHO.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 02:00 AM   #72
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Current Nautilus hyped market value has risk going forward. Made for many decades, not hard to get up until 2-3 years ago. If value retention is a goal, there are better PPs to own.
Old 26 November 2018, 02:02 AM   #73
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It doesn't have screwed links at that price point and I hate the clasp. Flimsy is indeed a bit too harsh and the look of the 5711 is stellar, but at these prices it is very far from worth it IMO.
agree it doesn't have screwed links but do you believe the locking pins they use give up any measure toward security? a bit more technical for initial adjustment to wrist size but its typically a one and done.

i have personally seen screwed pins back out on a couple of occasions, in fairness i have also bent a few pins sizing my nautilus bracelet (i didn't have the best tools)

as far as the clasp, i agree it is an unpleasant experience to operate however it is sturdy does hold very securely.

my favorable opinion of the 5711 developed over time on the wrist and before it had that time on the wrist it sat in a box while my thoughts were similar to many here in this thread. it wasn't until i wore it without worry that i truly appreciated it.

ps the most impressive thing about the 5711 was the one i encountered in the wild, i posted about it https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=374953

the watch had been worn as a daily by both father and son since the 70s.

most importantly, the 5711 is a wonderful watch to look at, the dial looks amazing in the different lighting and it is supremely legible in the world of watches.
Old 26 November 2018, 02:04 AM   #74
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

And a steel Daytona is worth nearly or over 20k?

Old 26 November 2018, 02:17 AM   #75
psv
"TRF" Member

Platinum does nothing for me personally, I'd keep the 5711, but only if you are going to wear it.

5711 has become a status piece. It used to be one that was a bit of an inside piece, an acquired taste, but that is all out the window now.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 02:34 AM   #76
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
agree it doesn't have screwed links but do you believe the locking pins they use give up any measure toward security? a bit more technical for initial adjustment to wrist size but its typically a one and done.

i have personally seen screwed pins back out on a couple of occasions, in fairness i have also bent a few pins sizing my nautilus bracelet (i didn't have the best tools)

as far as the clasp, i agree it is an unpleasant experience to operate however it is sturdy does hold very securely.

my favorable opinion of the 5711 developed over time on the wrist and before it had that time on the wrist it sat in a box while my thoughts were similar to many here in this thread. it wasn't until i wore it without worry that i truly appreciated it.

ps the most impressive thing about the 5711 was the one i encountered in the wild, i posted about it https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=374953

the watch had been worn as a daily by both father and son since the 70s.

most importantly, the 5711 is a wonderful watch to look at, the dial looks amazing in the different lighting and it is supremely legible in the world of watches.
From a technical standpoint the screwed pins are superior to the pins the nautilus uses, both can of course fail.

And I highly prefer the Rolex clasp over the 5711.

I cannot deny that the 5711 is a magnificent watch, thin, beautifully finished and fits perfectly when sized, but at this price point I would never ever be a buyer.

No right or wrong answer here of course, matter of preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
And a steel Daytona is worth nearly or over 20k?
No, and that watch isn't part of the discussion, this is platona vs 5711, one can be discounted and one goes for astronimical prices.
Old 26 November 2018, 02:36 AM   #77
Hermann
"TRF" Member

I have the 5711R and the 5711A and the Rolex Platona 116506.
The Nautilus is a nice watch but I nearly never wear this piece!
Don’t ask me why the rose gold is much more beautiful than the steel one but I cannot wear the rose gold @work.
I like the weight of the watches therefore I like the Platona and she gets much more wrist presence.
Maybe I will change both 5711 to the new 5740G this is a PC and in white gold so it has also the weight.
GOGO for the Platona you will love the weight!!
Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 02:38 AM   #78
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
Heck yeah!!! It’s a no brainer to me!!
It’s getting a $74k watch for $24k !!

This is a no-brainer for me too!

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 02:45 AM   #79
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
From a technical standpoint the screwed pins are superior to the pins the nautilus uses, both can of course fail.

I cannot deny that the 5711 is a magnificent watch, thin, beautifully finished and fits perfectly when sized, but at this price point I would never ever be a buyer.

No, and that watch isn't part of the discussion, this is platona vs 5711, one can be discounted and one goes for astronimical prices.

I was merely quoting the part where you said it wasn't worth it at these prices, which I assume you mean secondary. And I'm just saying that neither is worth it. And unless you really just love platinum (no clue why that would be), the Platona is a huge waste of the additional price tag IMO.

Old 26 November 2018, 03:03 AM   #80
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I don’t see much value in the 5711 or 506 at current market prices personally. But I always support giving up something not being worn for something that will be worn. So I vote yes.

Keep in mind you’ll probably never get another 5711 again. I bought one back at secondary and couldn’t enjoy it because I knew I had paid double what I originally paid even though financially it had no substantial impact on me.
Old 26 November 2018, 03:09 AM   #81
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Say what you will, the 5711 is all hype. Beautiful dial, exquisite decoration of the movement but otherwise makes no sense. It isn't durable or very waterproof, and doesn't hack. It is pretty and dainty though and social media has hyped it.
But the Daytona is three times the watch it is, and it's a precious metal.

I would make this trade ASAP.
Is the 5711 hyped more than any other popular Patek, AP or Rolex? I follow a lot of Instagram watch related accounts and I don’t see it being over hyped. Could be just the accounts I follow.

Re the hacking - just unscrew the crown, pull it out and leave the watch crown side down for 30 seconds. The movement should stop.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 03:10 AM   #82
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:

my friend

ps agree the rolex clasp, i don't know of another watch brand that can challenge the design of the rolex clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I don’t see much value in the 5711 or 506 at current market prices personally. But I always support giving up something not being worn for something that will be worn. So I vote yes.

Keep in mind you’ll probably never get another 5711 again. I bought one back at secondary and couldn’t enjoy it because I knew I had paid double what I originally paid even though financially it had no substantial impact on me.

well said, will be very difficult to get another, not just for the cost but the knowledge that it was had for half the price last time.

my experience as well... it took a while for me to come to terms with the original cost of this SS watch before i began to wear and enjoy it... of all the watches i have traded or sold away, this is the only one i would repurchase but at current prices I am sure i wouldn't get over the ouch.

my concern for the OP is that he may be reluctant to enjoy it because of a value perception but once over that hump the watch quickly becomes a favorite in the rotation.
Old 26 November 2018, 03:14 AM   #83
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
I was merely quoting the part where you said it wasn't worth it at these prices, which I assume you mean secondary. And I'm just saying that neither is worth it. And unless you really just love platinum (no clue why that would be), the Platona is a huge waste of the additional price tag IMO.

Even MSRP at €28k for the steel 5711 is ridiculous, and I agree on the SS Daytona market price.

Having worked with all kinds of metals including platinum as a watchmaker I must say that despite it being a @#&!!# to polish it is by far my favourite metal in the flesh.
The weight and shine is fantastic, but that is of course my opinion and I can see why most people would consider it a waste of money.
Old 26 November 2018, 03:16 AM   #84
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Even MSRP at €28k for the steel 5711 is ridiculous, and I agree on the SS Daytona market price.

Having worked with all kinds of metals including platinum as a watchmaker I must say that despite it being a @#&!!# to polish it is by far my favourite metal in the flesh.
The weight and shine is fantastic, but that is of course my opinion and I can see why most people would consider it a waste of money.

Why we have options and of all people on here, I would trust you with the first person assessment!

Old 26 November 2018, 03:17 AM   #85
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
my friend

well said, will be very difficult to get another, not just for the cost but the knowledge that it was had for half the price last time.

my experience as well... it took a while for me to come to terms with the original cost of this SS watch before i began to wear and enjoy it... of all the watches i have traded or sold away, this is the only one i would repurchase but at current prices I am sure i wouldn't get over the ouch.

my concern for the OP is that he may be reluctant to enjoy it because of a value perception but once over that hump the watch quickly becomes a favorite in the rotation.
That’s certainly something the OP has to consider deeply. I’ve become somewhat numb to the cost of watches I’m wearing lately which is a bit dangerous! Makes it easier to enjoy them and be objective about what I like but my bank account doesn’t favor it.
Old 26 November 2018, 03:19 AM   #86
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Why we have options and of all people on here, I would trust you with the first person assessment!

Cheers mate

Would be a boring forum if we all liked the same watches and made the same choices

Old 26 November 2018, 03:22 AM   #87
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
That’s certainly something the OP has to consider deeply. I’ve become somewhat numb to the cost of watches I’m wearing lately which is a bit dangerous! Makes it easier to enjoy them and be objective about what I like but my bank account doesn’t favor it.
Enjoy it while we can, can't take it with you
Old 26 November 2018, 03:22 AM   #88
marselluswallace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116506
Although my 5711 is the rose gold rather than the stainless and I love it to bits,my 116506 is a more usable watch which can be worn with any attire and is more durable-it would get the nod if I had to choose between the two.

It’s a nice problem to have!
marselluswallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 04:04 AM   #89
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by marselluswallace View Post
Although my 5711 is the rose gold rather than the stainless and I love it to bits,my 116506 is a more usable watch which can be worn with any attire and is more durable-it would get the nod if I had to choose between the two.

It’s a nice problem to have!
I thought Marcellus was going to say something along the lines of, "When you trade a 5711, it be gone, and it stay gone, or your money be gone. You lost all your 5711 privileges."
Old 26 November 2018, 04:07 AM   #90
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I thought Marcellus was going to say something along the lines of, "When you trade a 5711, it be gone, and it stay gone, or your money be gone. You lost all your 5711 privileges."

Priceless