The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 October 2021, 02:47 PM   #31
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdraft View Post
Seriously? A couple of people floated the caveat that the dealer may damage it, which is an interesting perspective that I will take onboard before making any kind of a decision, however I had not said anything about what I intended to do…
The vast majority of the responses fall under 1. Why they wouldn’t care, 2. I should just enjoy my watch, and 3. operation outside the advertised specs is unimportant.
However I wasn’t asking people’s thoughts on whether they would send it to be adjusted, I was asking if it the dealer would adjust it for that small an amount outside spec.
Regardless, thanks for the responses and the interesting chatter!
PS. I love my watch. I thought i would prefer it over my old 114060 and I do.
OK. My thoughts? A good technician/watchmaker should be able to regulate it without screwing up your watch or scratching it. It's not rocket science but it does require someone who cares about it and knows what they doing. Rolex regulation is both particular and straightforward although each movement is it's own thing due to the mechanical nature and will have a range in which it performs best. And a careful watchmaker will not scratch it.

Having a slow watch would drive me nuts since adjusting it is a lot more flddly than simply hacking it. Which I suppose is why most watches are regulated to run a bit fast.
csaltphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 07:12 PM   #32
amanbra
"TRF" Member

How slow is too slow?

Do not have a perfectly good watch opened up for that. You’ll get it back with new scratches etc for something so insignificant. My new sub has a slightly misaligned bezel and date window. Very slight but I can see it. I’m absolutely not letting rsc touch it.

Rsc nicked my lugs on the 126655 sizing the oysterflex, my dj came back with new marks for warranty work and my op36 faired the best but there are marks on the back of the lugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 07:23 PM   #33
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I have a 2021 No Date Sub 124060. It's running sliiiiightly more than 2 seconds a day slow. Closer to 2 seconds than 3 seconds, but still technically outside the advertised 2 seconds a day.
Take it in? Or is that not outside spec enough...
Thanks for your thoughts!
Not worth the hassle of getting the case back off, for a fraction of a second, and with the Rolex test it was tested on a machine to a precision of -2+2 average seconds in 5 different positions per day. But on the wrist in the real world could differ because of different wearing habits, but keep a eye on it if it gets a lot worst then have it looked at but please remember its mechanical and there are 86400 seconds in a day..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 07:58 PM   #34
16610Swiss
Banned

Quote:
Ya, I've heard this sort of thing before... but if you understand materials and machinery I don't think it makes sense... is the thought that it's built with tolerances that are too tight and that's making it run slow? If so, how frightening would it be to believe that the parts would wear enough in six months to effect the accuracy... what would that wear rate mean over the ten years that the watch is supposed to last before servicing?
I have my sub for 20 years now and never ever serviced, you can see my recent thread. It was running consistently 2.5 to 3.5 seconds a day, 3 months ago its been running consistently 1.5 to 1.7 seconds a day since...
16610Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 08:29 PM   #35
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
I've also got a 124060 and it consistently runs 2-3 seconds fast out of 86400 per day. I'm absolutely thrilled with its performance.
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 03:03 AM   #36
overdraft
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
Come on man. You got like 25 replies and not a single person has said that they would take the watch in.
You're correct, but that's NOT what I was asking. All I ever wanted to know in this rather silly thread is if they WOULD adjust it, not whether I SHOULD have it adjusted.
overdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 03:06 AM   #37
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're correct, but that's NOT what I was asking. All I ever wanted to know in this rather silly thread is if they WOULD adjust it, not whether I SHOULD have it adjusted.
Perhaps a psychologist could help you more than a watchmaker.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 03:06 AM   #38
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Ask them yourself
Old 2 October 2021, 03:07 AM   #39
overdraft
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
Do not have a perfectly good watch opened up for that. You’ll get it back with new scratches etc for something so insignificant. My new sub has a slightly misaligned bezel and date window. Very slight but I can see it. I’m absolutely not letting rsc touch it.

Rsc nicked my lugs on the 126655 sizing the oysterflex, my dj came back with new marks for warranty work and my op36 faired the best but there are marks on the back of the lugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry to hear that... Kind of shocking eh? You'd think they'd be better than that, but your experience and that of a number of other posters suggests that they're not that good at looking after our watches!
Old 2 October 2021, 03:10 AM   #40
overdraft
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Ask them yourself
oh don't worry, after discovering that I can't get a straight answer on this forum that's definitely the move!
Although this exercise has had value because I'm learning that sending a watch in for adjustment has it's own set of perils from service center mistreatment that I was unaware of.
Old 2 October 2021, 03:14 AM   #41
overdraft
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Ask them yourself
I agree! after not getting a specific answer in this thread that's definitely the move!
Although this exercise has had value because I'm learning that sending a watch in for adjustment has it's own set of perils from service center mistreatment that I was unaware of.
Old 2 October 2021, 03:36 AM   #42
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Suggest selling it and buying a quality quartz watch.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 03:45 AM   #43
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Suggest selling it and buying a quality quartz watch.
Or an Apple Watch
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 03:54 AM   #44
chris242

Watch: 116610lv
chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 04:10 AM   #45
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Not a fan of any slow.

However I Don’t have the same concern for fast.
Old 2 October 2021, 04:17 AM   #46
Stan Cooper

Watch: GMT-Master II
For me, any slow is too slow. I have mine adjusted so it's slightly fast and over a week it might gain 10 or 15 seconds, so on the weekend I simply pull the crown out to the hack position for however many seconds fast it is, then push it back in and screw it down.

Easy-peasy.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 04:43 AM   #47
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

-4 would bother me enough to get it regulated. That said, it would have to pull that -4 on the wrist and not in any one resting position. I much prefer a fast watch if given the choice. All my watches can do better than +/-2 seconds.
Old 2 October 2021, 05:22 AM   #48
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Trust me, this isn't the place to be overly obsessive about watch performance. You should go find a watch forum to post that sort of thing. Oh, wait...

Anyway, to your direct question since you said "sliiiiightly" more than 2 seconds slow that sounds like it's a gray area for sure. If it were 3 I'm guessing you would have said 3. So the first thing would be to get all parties to agree on what the actual current performance is. This surely will not happen with you comparing against an iphone or PC clock or whatever, this would take throwing it on a timegrapher and checking it in multiple positions to see what the real numbers are. Any competent AD should have such equipment.

If those tests come back showing -3 s/d, for example, I would imagine they'd take the "well... we could send it in, if that's what you really want" position. And I'd be inclined to agree. If the watch has an actual issue, that -3 s/d will be -10 s/d before too long and then there will be no trying to "convince" anybody of anything, it'll just be obvious.

On the other hand, if it maintains -2.1 s/d for months and months you could consider having it regulated. A simple tweak of the micro-stellas should be all that is necessary to make a very precise (i.e. consistent) but slightly inaccurate (in your case, slow) watch nearly perfect.

As far as your comment about a break-in period not making sense to you based on your understanding of machinery, I'd agree and disagree. On the agreement side of the coin I'd say if a watch changed its performance characteristics by a non-trivial amount, then the idea of adjusting and regulating and certifying the piece at the factory is essentially useless. On the other hand, it's a bit unrealistic to expect that you could machine a couple hundred parts with the tiniest of tolerances and lubricate them in slightly varying fashions and not expect some type of "settling in" to occur over the first X months of usage.

Here again I would suggest that a timegrapher could provide some answers. A look at the watch's full-wind amplitude today would give good insight into its gear train efficiency, independent of the timekeeping being good or bad. My 2020 Sub keeps great time but it has a cancer inside that will kill it within a year or two almost without question. IF your watch were to "loosen" up over the first several months then you might expect to see an increase in amplitude, and maybe even your timekeeping would improve slightly. If, however, it is slowly "grinding itself to dust" as one RSC watchmaker described it, then the amplitude will go the other way.

I'll leave it at that. I've probably only succeeded in wasting my own time here, but fortunately I can type quickly lol.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 05:31 AM   #49
SDREW22
"TRF" Member

Watch: TOG
Advertised and Guaranteed are completely different. Nowhere does Rolex guarantee +2/-2
SDREW22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 05:35 AM   #50
hoppes-no9
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wrong. You specifically asked “Take it in?”
hoppes-no9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 06:16 AM   #51
overdraft
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Trust me, this isn't the place to be overly obsessive about watch performance. You should go find a watch forum to post that sort of thing. Oh, wait...

Anyway, to your direct question since you said "sliiiiightly" more than 2 seconds slow that sounds like it's a gray area for sure. If it were 3 I'm guessing you would have said 3. So the first thing would be to get all parties to agree on what the actual current performance is. This surely will not happen with you comparing against an iphone or PC clock or whatever, this would take throwing it on a timegrapher and checking it in multiple positions to see what the real numbers are. Any competent AD should have such equipment.

If those tests come back showing -3 s/d, for example, I would imagine they'd take the "well... we could send it in, if that's what you really want" position. And I'd be inclined to agree. If the watch has an actual issue, that -3 s/d will be -10 s/d before too long and then there will be no trying to "convince" anybody of anything, it'll just be obvious.

On the other hand, if it maintains -2.1 s/d for months and months you could consider having it regulated. A simple tweak of the micro-stellas should be all that is necessary to make a very precise (i.e. consistent) but slightly inaccurate (in your case, slow) watch nearly perfect.

As far as your comment about a break-in period not making sense to you based on your understanding of machinery, I'd agree and disagree. On the agreement side of the coin I'd say if a watch changed its performance characteristics by a non-trivial amount, then the idea of adjusting and regulating and certifying the piece at the factory is essentially useless. On the other hand, it's a bit unrealistic to expect that you could machine a couple hundred parts with the tiniest of tolerances and lubricate them in slightly varying fashions and not expect some type of "settling in" to occur over the first X months of usage.

Here again I would suggest that a timegrapher could provide some answers. A look at the watch's full-wind amplitude today would give good insight into its gear train efficiency, independent of the timekeeping being good or bad. My 2020 Sub keeps great time but it has a cancer inside that will kill it within a year or two almost without question. IF your watch were to "loosen" up over the first several months then you might expect to see an increase in amplitude, and maybe even your timekeeping would improve slightly. If, however, it is slowly "grinding itself to dust" as one RSC watchmaker described it, then the amplitude will go the other way.

I'll leave it at that. I've probably only succeeded in wasting my own time here, but fortunately I can type quickly lol.
Thanks HiBoost. Thorough and informative answer. I appreciate it.
Old 2 October 2021, 04:25 PM   #52
skyblue12
"TRF" Member

I too have the same watch which l bought in February and mine ran the slow too like the OP did. I had Goldsmiths send it back to Rolex Kent which took about 6 weeks but it now runs about 2 seconds fast a day which l much prefer.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
skyblue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 04:34 PM   #53
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Thanks HiBoost. Thorough and informative answer. I appreciate it.
Why? According to you he didn’t answer your question either. Next time setup a poll instead.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 05:26 PM   #54
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
Why? According to you he didn’t answer your question either. Next time setup a poll instead.
Yes, I thought your answer was much better.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 06:06 PM   #55
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How would anyone here know if your dealer would adjust your watch? Seems like a simple thing to ask them yourselves. You started this 'silly thread' that others were trying in good faith and taking their time to give you their honest feedback. If you want your dealer to adjust your watch ask your dealer not TRF. You could have saved us all from this silly thread.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 01:12 AM   #56
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Man View Post
How would anyone here know if your dealer would adjust your watch? Seems like a simple thing to ask them yourselves. You started this 'silly thread' that others were trying in good faith and taking their time to give you their honest feedback. If you want your dealer to adjust your watch ask your dealer not TRF. You could have saved us all from this silly thread.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 02:42 AM   #57
rnrpbr1982
Banned

Watch: 126660
Ive got a JC Deepsea in May 21, was running three seconds slow so I took it into the RSC in London, they adjust while you wait, mine was 45 mins due to the pressure testing.

Unfortunately it gradually started to lose time again, took it back 4 weeks later and again it was 3 seconds slow and getting worse. They tested it and told me the amplitude was low and they think it has a possible gear train issue on the second wheel.

They currently have it, that was just over a week ago, pick it up a Monday 11th and hopefully all will be good.

Would recommend going to a RSC in person if able.

Best wishes
rnrpbr1982 is offline   Reply With Quote