The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 September 2021, 05:35 PM   #91
CarteBlanche
"TRF" Member

I haven't. It's been Cartier, Breitling, Rolex and now Patek.
CarteBlanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 07:11 PM   #92
chucklehead
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Yep. Recently purchased a Casio GA2100, and a Seiko SNJ025. Love the “Arnie” reissue. It’s such a cool, super fun watch. Watch collecting for me isn’t about the cost, or prestige. It’s whatever speaks to me and makes me smile when I look down at it.
chucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 08:05 PM   #93
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
once i bought a patek stopped wearing my rolex
before my patek rolex was the only brand
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 08:08 PM   #94
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Grogu View Post
Not touching anything that comes from a big group. Not a fan of anything that doesn’t come from Geneva either.
This is elitist thinking and I encourage you to branch out a bit. JLC, ALS and VC are now all under an umbrella but to act as if they’re lower class watchmaking because of such is far from the truth.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 08:13 PM   #95
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
That Rolex has developed significantly more brand equity over the years than has Omega. The “because it’s a Rolex” factor on its own is more valuable than “because it’s an Omega,” regardless of quality of watch. This is all about marketing, not watchmaking, success.
Ok, from that perspective, you’re certainly right. But those are very subjective elements. Not sure objectively what the brand stands for is any lesser with Omega than what it is for Rolex.

But to your point, we currently have 4 Rolexes between my wife and myself, and no Omegas, so the subjective appeal is certainly real.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 08:17 PM   #96
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Lesser brands, I think not!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18 September 2021, 08:18 PM   #97
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

To answer the OP’s query. Yes I have purchased a whole series of watches from brands that may be in the same tier of quality as Rolex, but have lesser perceived status. Only an IWC has remained. All Omegas, an Oris and two Panerais have moved on to new homes so quickly that I haven’t even mentioned some of them in my recent collection summary thread.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 08:20 PM   #98
willywatch
"TRF" Member

I love Rolex and have owned many.But they are nowhere near to being
high end or any better than Omega.In terms of finish Grand Seiko beat
them hands down.But they do have the magic name,and nothing will
ever change that.
willywatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 08:26 PM   #99
Wing-Co
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 40mm WG
I've given up on Rolex, in the current environment, and I am looking at getting a Breitling 41mm Navitimer, with a big discount. I also picked up this lovely Seiko Alpinist, with a big discount, and it has no problem siting alongside these two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alpinist 3.jpg (53.7 KB, 202 views)
Wing-Co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 08:31 PM   #100
Master_Grogu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
This is elitist thinking and I encourage you to branch out a bit. JLC, ALS and VC are now all under an umbrella but to act as if they’re lower class watchmaking because of such is far from the truth.
I have lived 40+ years in Geneva and participated in more SIHH and Baselworld than anyone here I trust. I have had CEOs of watchmaking companies invite me personally to tour their facilities, and my neighbour himself is a watchmaker with its own high end manufacture, that I can see from my office across our gardens.

JLC and VC have no vision. I dont's share ALS aesthetics in the philosophical sense. I will be as elitist as I want because this is my opinion, my hobby and my money. Therefore if I make a blanket statement under which I say I don't like companies directed by back-patting executives with no taste, nothing will make me change my mind besides a product that proves me wrong.

Watchmaking, and tons of other fields for the matter, are only about money nowadays. They stand on the shoulders of the giants that came before them, but have now left the company. The people who made VC what it is and Patek have long left the field. It's always been about making money, but before we didn't have vast HR departments and MBAs trying to put their fingers where they shouldn't to justify they ludicrous salaries.

Rolex for the matter, isn't the best at all, but their design ethos is so perfect they are very difficult to challenge IMO.

You might think I am bitter and you'd be right. VC used to be so much more, Patek as well for the matter. Hell, even Omega. They used to make brilliant designs. Overseas 222 is pure genius. The old constellation pan dials were phenomenal. What they produce today is just the commoditised shadow of their former glory IMO.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 10:14 PM   #101
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have lived 40+ years in Geneva and participated in more SIHH and Baselworld than anyone here I trust. I have had CEOs of watchmaking companies invite me personally to tour their facilities, and my neighbour himself is a watchmaker with its own high end manufacture, that I can see from my office across our gardens.

JLC and VC have no vision. I dont's share ALS aesthetics in the philosophical sense. I will be as elitist as I want because this is my opinion, my hobby and my money. Therefore if I make a blanket statement under which I say I don't like companies directed by back-patting executives with no taste, nothing will make me change my mind besides a product that proves me wrong.

Watchmaking, and tons of other fields for the matter, are only about money nowadays. They stand on the shoulders of the giants that came before them, but have now left the company. The people who made VC what it is and Patek have long left the field. It's always been about making money, but before we didn't have vast HR departments and MBAs trying to put their fingers where they shouldn't to justify they ludicrous salaries.

Rolex for the matter, isn't the best at all, but their design ethos is so perfect they are very difficult to challenge IMO.

You might think I am bitter and you'd be right. VC used to be so much more, Patek as well for the matter. Hell, even Omega. They used to make brilliant designs. Overseas 222 is pure genius. The old constellation pan dials were phenomenal. What they produce today is just the commoditised shadow of their former glory IMO.
But Patek putting out oversized pilots and bedazzled women’s Nautilus models or AP repackaging the Royal Oak in 10000 different iterations is better (as their code collection was a gross fail IMO)? Not arguing, I actually agree with most of what you’re saying, but I’m confused as to what brand you’re propping up to be so much better in current time? You’ve pretty much ruled out every brand but Rolex, AP, Patek and independents from Geneva.

Also my comment was more towards the tune of JLC, VC, etc are putting out quality time pieces (if you sift through the nonsense) especially at discount. Just stating that more novice collectors sometimes write them off but they have some fantastic thin dress pieces, certain overseas models, etc. Just meant that being under an umbrella doesn’t equate to bad quality. Take the 82172 for example, I think VC is doing this better than Patek’s 5196 which should have been upgraded years ago to a see through caseback with a larger movement to showcase what you’re paying $20k for.

Again, reiterating I’m actually interested in hearing your thoughts/elaborating on this, especially with you being around horology for so long.
Old 18 September 2021, 10:18 PM   #102
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I am a huge Panerai fan.
Old 18 September 2021, 10:19 PM   #103
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Old 18 September 2021, 10:28 PM   #104
Master_Grogu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
But Patek putting out oversized pilots and bedazzled women’s Nautilus models or AP repackaging the Royal Oak in 10000 different iterations is better (as their code collection was a gross fail IMO)? Not arguing, I actually agree with most of what you’re saying, but I’m confused as to what brand you’re propping up to be so much better in current time? You’ve pretty much ruled out every brand but Rolex, AP, Patek and independents from Geneva.

Also my comment was more towards the tune of JLC, VC, etc are putting out quality time pieces (if you sift through the nonsense) especially at discount. Just stating that more novice collectors sometimes write them off but they have some fantastic thin dress pieces, certain overseas models, etc. Just meant that being under an umbrella doesn’t equate to bad quality. Take the 82172 for example, I think VC is doing this better than Patek’s 5196 which should have been upgraded years ago to a see through caseback with a larger movement to showcase what you’re paying $20k for.

Again, reiterating I’m actually interested in hearing your thoughts/elaborating on this, especially with you being around horology for so long.
Oh I don't like Patek at all, sorry I was ranting about.

I LOVE the new independent scene. Czapek is so close from nailing it. Love FPJ despite the guy being a complete "artist". Love Urwerk as well. What I meant by Geneva is indeed, Rolex, Czapek and FPJ are my current favorite, mostly because they just try new things (though FJP is becoming a bit lazy recently). And historically, vintages models from Geneva are also what I yearn for the most.

The issue I have with JLC and VC, is I know how good they could be, yet they have decided to do penny pinching and ruin a otherwise excellent watch, and price it at a ridiculous point. It's less "they suck" and more "why aren't they doing better?".

Worst of all is Omega. They have the full backing of SWATCH, and that's what they do? They even tease me with the new 321 and make sure to ruin the design with just 1-2 dumb elements. So close yet so far.

To finish with Patek, I don't like the family at all (the joke! even my son can't get one? LOL!) and the watches are super pretentious. Did you know in the Geneva boutique they have the watches with calibers, bar a key element so they don't work ? Why don't you let me try a 50k overpriced pilot watch with no legacy that works? Are you so scared I'm going to steal your insured watch through 4 security guards ? LOL. And yes the oversized cases for small 30y/o+ movements is a complete joke.

Independents will save us, I trust it.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 10:45 PM   #105
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawirider View Post
Anyway, it got me thinking of how many people buy so called “lesser” brand watches after owning higher end pieces?

Fwiw, I’m in no means hating on Omega in any way, as I think for the value it is a hell of a bargain. It also feels/looks very high end. I was just wondering, because since I started watch collecting, I’ve gradually spent more and more on timepieces.
For me once I got into Rolex my eyes only laid on all of its other lines that drew my attention. So far I'm happy with my Rolex line up, am looking at some AP and PP as my future pieces now but they are truly leagues above, much higher priced and very different watches than the Rolex I'm accustom to. Still, it's nice to have goals. Probably wouldn't consider "lesser" brands simply because I need to allocate much more funds for a higher tier brand and every cent counts.
Old 18 September 2021, 10:58 PM   #106
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
How is Omega a lesser brand?
+1
I had Tag, Breitling Tudor , Rolex as I was moving up the chain, The purchased Omega when I got to the top!
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 12:00 AM   #107
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

The biggest difference between Rolex and the "lesser brands" being described in this thread is mostly marketing, and nobody in the world, perhaps in any consumer product segment, has done it better than Rolex. I've been wearing these watches since the mid-80's, but they aren't high-end swiss horology, no matter what we'd like to think. They are very good, mid-tier swiss watches, not much different from Omega, Breitling, and their very own Tudor brand.

Being a Rolex snob is like being a car snob because your drive a Mercedes E-Class.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 12:07 AM   #108
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
The biggest difference between Rolex and the "lesser brands" being described in this thread is mostly marketing, and nobody in the world, perhaps in any consumer product segment, has done it better than Rolex. I've been wearing these watches since the mid-80's, but they aren't high-end swiss horology, no matter what we'd like to think. They are very good, mid-tier swiss watches, not much different from Omega, Breitling, and their very own Tudor brand.

Being a Rolex snob is like being a car snob because your drive a Mercedes E-Class.
Absolutely
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 12:10 AM   #109
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
By "lesser brand" if you mean less hype and less absurd pricing on steel watches, yes, I definitely do. I own three Rolexes but wear Breitling the most.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 01:05 AM   #110
DD58
"TRF" Member

If I could ever get a Rolex availability being the biggest issue. I’d have to say yes. I wear a seiko skx007 to work daily and a speedy on the weekends and on a special day I’ll wear my oris 80th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 01:59 AM   #111
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

I just picked up an Omega Seamaster 300M (white/black combo) and definitely do not consider to be “less” than a Rolex.

Less in price, yes, but the finishing and quality I would say are easily on par with a Sub. It’s a stellar watch and quite the bargain for what you pay.

Added perk is that I walked into the Omega Boutique, tried on a whole slew of watches and was able to pick the one I liked the best. Was an amazing experience, try doing that at ANY Rolex AD….
southcarolina1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 02:06 AM   #112
Watch Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
Many great watches out there. Rolexes aren’t always the best.
Watch Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 02:13 AM   #113
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcarolina1801 View Post
I just picked up an Omega Seamaster 300M (white/black combo) and definitely do not consider to be “less” than a Rolex.

Less in price, yes, but the finishing and quality I would say are easily on par with a Sub. It’s a stellar watch and quite the bargain for what you pay.

Added perk is that I walked into the Omega Boutique, tried on a whole slew of watches and was able to pick the one I liked the best. Was an amazing experience, try doing that at ANY Rolex AD….
The SMP is great but I can’t believe they haven’t progressed with their technology to make the helium release flush at this point. It’s such a protrusion at 10 o clock
Old 19 September 2021, 02:19 AM   #114
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh I don't like Patek at all, sorry I was ranting about.

I LOVE the new independent scene. Czapek is so close from nailing it. Love FPJ despite the guy being a complete "artist". Love Urwerk as well. What I meant by Geneva is indeed, Rolex, Czapek and FPJ are my current favorite, mostly because they just try new things (though FJP is becoming a bit lazy recently). And historically, vintages models from Geneva are also what I yearn for the most.

The issue I have with JLC and VC, is I know how good they could be, yet they have decided to do penny pinching and ruin a otherwise excellent watch, and price it at a ridiculous point. It's less "they suck" and more "why aren't they doing better?".

Worst of all is Omega. They have the full backing of SWATCH, and that's what they do? They even tease me with the new 321 and make sure to ruin the design with just 1-2 dumb elements. So close yet so far.

To finish with Patek, I don't like the family at all (the joke! even my son can't get one? LOL!) and the watches are super pretentious. Did you know in the Geneva boutique they have the watches with calibers, bar a key element so they don't work ? Why don't you let me try a 50k overpriced pilot watch with no legacy that works? Are you so scared I'm going to steal your insured watch through 4 security guards ? LOL. And yes the oversized cases for small 30y/o+ movements is a complete joke.

Independents will save us, I trust it.
Interesting read and perspective thank you.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 02:25 AM   #115
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Lol. So, once we buy Rolex, we should not wear any cheaper watches? I bought so many inexpensive brands after owning the watch. If I like anything I just buy it - no logic needed even if I wear it once or twice, point is I need to like it.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 02:26 AM   #116
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Does anybody buy so called “lesser” brands after Rolex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
It’s a Lester brand, not necessarily a lesser watch. Big but subtle difference there ;).

Concur. Dollar for dollar, it’s better, IMO. Hell, 2 to 1 better, in this market.

I get plenty of enjoyment from Seiko. So much so, it’s questioned past purchases.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 02:30 AM   #117
dandigangi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman
Tons of great brands out there! Its nice to have the variety. As nice as Rolex is, its far from the only brand doing good things.

Current:
[116710BLNR, PAM212, Tag Monaco, Navitimer, Casioak]
dandigangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 02:32 AM   #118
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
To be honest I think Omega is often (and certainly often was) ahead of Rolex..
Old 19 September 2021, 02:44 AM   #119
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Does anybody buy so called “lesser” brands after Rolex?

Of course. I love Omega.

There are a lot of lower cost brands that I like a lot: Damasko, Sinn, Nomos, Breitling, Longines, and several others.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 03:10 AM   #120
mullman
"TRF" Member

I mix it up with Panerai. After wearing Rolex most of the time, it’s fun to order and put custom bands on a Panerai to suit your mood or activity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro