The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 17 October 2020, 10:02 AM   #1
Bigblu10
Banned

New York City residents!

This thread is not meant to be political in any way. Question; how many of you have moved recently or are planning to relocate to another area and leave NYC permanently because of the changing climate there? It is a profound question.
Old 17 October 2020, 10:12 AM   #2
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
I have wanted to leave for a decade so not because of anything recent.
Old 17 October 2020, 10:13 AM   #3
THC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Would love to discuss this, Jaime, but.....Ibtl
Old 17 October 2020, 10:32 AM   #4
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
I have wanted to leave for a decade so not because of anything recent.
Same boat for me but only a few years, not a decade. I won’t be going far though.

NYC will be fine long term. Short term there will be some much needed mkt correction and changing of some guard. With a competent Mayor things will be fine.
Old 17 October 2020, 10:36 AM   #5
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Same boat for me but only a few years, not a decade. I won’t be going far though.

NYC will be fine long term. Short term there will be some much needed mkt correction and changing of some guard. With a competent Mayor things will be fine.
Have you lost any favorite restaurants or retailers that you frequented?
Old 17 October 2020, 10:38 AM   #6
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Many Rolex employees with whom I’ve spoken indicate that they’d like to get out of NYC. But I doubt Rolex will leave the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 17 October 2020, 10:56 AM   #7
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
If I can, I’ll buy a condo for weekends.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 17 October 2020, 11:01 AM   #8
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

Here and not going anywhere.

The city is on pause, but it’s still New York.

Fin
Old 17 October 2020, 12:23 PM   #9
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Have you lost any favorite restaurants or retailers that you frequented?
Some but more will fall unfortunately.
Old 17 October 2020, 12:24 PM   #10
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Many Rolex employees with whom I’ve spoken indicate that they’d like to get out of NYC. But I doubt Rolex will leave the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
They have a fantastic new building planned to be built pre-covid.
Old 17 October 2020, 12:25 PM   #11
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
If I can, I’ll buy a condo for weekends.
Patience, there should be a few more legs down even though the current discounts are outrageous.
Old 17 October 2020, 12:40 PM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I was on Zillow today looking for bargains lol I’m still too poor.

Not a NYC resident but would love to buy there during a down cycle that’s for sure.
Old 17 October 2020, 01:05 PM   #13
HobokenRolex
2024 Pledge Member

We just bought a house in the NJ suburbs. We were looking pre-Covid, so the pandemic was not the cause of looking to move. Just want more space, a backyard, etc. NYC will weather this. I’ll continue to work in Manhattan, just probably not commute in every day.
Old 17 October 2020, 01:22 PM   #14
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
This thread is not meant to be political in any way. Question; how many of you have moved recently or are planning to relocate to another area and leave NYC permanently because of the changing climate there? It is a profound question.
Best city in the world. Not sure if every kid thinks that where they are is the center of the universe. I did when I was a kid. Then when a little bit older,I realized that NYC truly was. Different streets/areas where the capital of things.
Wall St=financial capital
Broadway=entertainment
5th Ave=shopping

diamond district
garment district I'm sure there is more, but I left very young.

every ethnic food

So,Jamie,I didn't answer your question. Hope you are safe. Let me know when you are in my neighborhood!
Be safe!
Old 17 October 2020, 01:24 PM   #15
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
SF is going through the same exodus. To be honest. Best thing to ever happen since the dot.com crash 2000.

Now, as for NYC. I’d buy in a heartbeat if the family was up for it.

Our cities have lost that magic because of the influx of transients.

When I lived in NYC when I was younger it was such an incredible and culturally dynamic city. New Yorkers were New Yorkers.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 17 October 2020, 01:50 PM   #16
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Not a resident but a frequent visitor to New York it was/is painful seeing the City being crippled. I cancelled two planned trips in May and November. But it will come back and reinvent itself as it has many times before.
John Lennon was once asked why he had settled in New York City when he could live anywhere in the world he wanted to. He looked at the interviewer incredulously and said “because it’s the Capital of the World.”
Old 17 October 2020, 01:56 PM   #17
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:

Um, no it will not be fine long term. It hasn't been fine for the last ten years and it only got worse with the virus. People go to NYC for three things: business, food and culture and all three are gone.

NYC now has three things left: homeless, parking tickets and trash on the streets. That's it folks.
Old 17 October 2020, 03:49 PM   #18
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Eh. It’ll probably take a few years, but NYC will eventually recover to better than it was previously. Though it’s difficult to imagine that now. We’re mostly living in sort of an extended state of limbo. You get used to it, though it can get to you at times. The sad and depressing thing, aside from all the people who died, are all the restaurants and small businesses that are gone. Lots of boarded up store fronts, and the commercial areas with big office buildings that are typically crowded during the day have only a fraction of the people. Not as much of a ghost town feel as it was during the peak Covid months, but still significantly fewer people out and about. Anyway, New Yorkers are tough and good at adapting. Just like anywhere else, you use common sense, wear a mask, and try to limit your exposure to being in crowded places. My guess is we have another 9-12 months of this before the Covid problem begins to get resolved. Hang in there folks!
Old 17 October 2020, 03:57 PM   #19
coucher
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Wasn’t too bad when I last visited. I’ll love to take on another visit
Old 17 October 2020, 04:22 PM   #20
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
My son (aged 43) lives and works in Jersey City, he has been there a year, his office window looks out onto the money shot overlooking the Hudson onto Manhattan. He has been there a year and absolutely loves Jersey City and NYC. He owns a large and fabulous house in the wonderful and ancient walled city of York in the UK which is a stunning city in its own right, but I fear I have lost him to the Newer version of York in your country. Once everything has got back to normal (and it will) I know that it will just be a matter of time before he buys property there.

He has lived in London and as proud as I am of my Capitol City, he never enthused about it as much as where he lives now.

DAVE

Old 17 October 2020, 08:18 PM   #21
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Anyone remember NYC in the mid/late 70's....nuff said.

I enjoy a day trip, nice place to visit but could never live there!!!
Old 17 October 2020, 08:34 PM   #22
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

New York City residents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
Um, no it will not be fine long term. It hasn't been fine for the last ten years and it only got worse with the virus. People go to NYC for three things: business, food and culture and all three are gone.

NYC now has three things left: homeless, parking tickets and trash on the streets. That's it folks.

Wow, I guess that’s it then huh. Google and Facebook doubled down on office space in NYC, but I guess you’ve got the in on those three secret data points that determine the future of the greatest city in the world.

Hate to tell you this, but if the city is gone, so are its burbs. Better start looking for something down in NC.

Fin
Old 17 October 2020, 09:53 PM   #23
Beo3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
The wife and I are born and raised in NYC. We moved 45 minutes north to suburbia when she became pregnant with our first 23 years ago.

Prior to Covid we were kicking around the idea of moving back since are children are all Basically out of the House.

With the current state of NYC, we quickly put that idea to rest.

Remembering what the city was like in the 70’s, and working through the crack wars of the late 80’s and 90’s, I fear it may become even worse.
Old 17 October 2020, 09:54 PM   #24
PackPride
"TRF" Member

Don’t come to NC- terrible place.

We don’t want to be the new Florida :)
Old 17 October 2020, 10:00 PM   #25
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride View Post

Too late

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 October 2020, 10:10 PM   #26
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
New York City residents!

Can’t speak for New York as I’m not a resident. I am a resident of Philadelphia and I can say it’s much the same as other residents have described in New York. I think it’s a major city problem that’s affecting a lot of us city residents. Poor leadership and the need to appease. Thankfully, here in south Philadelphia we are holding strong however I’m looking to move to the suburbs within 5 years. not to be get too political but Our mayor will be putting a safe injection site in our neighborhood (where 600-700 dollar houses are). Right now plans are on hold. But that’s just a snapshot of what our city will be doing moving into the 2020s
Old 17 October 2020, 10:35 PM   #27
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post

You sound like the type that can’t really make it in NYC
It’s the capital of the world my friend, tell my family who landed in Ellis island and never left that the current state will be its demise and they will chuckle at your jokes. Have a good weekend pal.
Old 17 October 2020, 10:42 PM   #28
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
You sound like the type that can’t really make it in NYC
It’s the capital of the world my friend, tell my family who landed in Ellis island and never left that the current state will be its demise and they will chuckle at your jokes. Have a good weekend pal.
Not agreeing with everything he said but this notion that people who want to leave can’t “make it” in nyc is so tired. I have been in Manhattan for 20 years and want something new. The thought of living in one place for my entire life is a stunning lack of imagination.
Old 17 October 2020, 11:49 PM   #29
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride View Post

That ship sailed decades ago. Most people who leave buffalo move to Charlotte not Tampa
Old 18 October 2020, 12:51 AM   #30
Thug
"TRF" Member

The city will fine. Most of the doom and gloom for nyc are coming from people who don’t even live here.
Closed Thread