The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 18 October 2020, 01:53 AM   #1
commission
"TRF" Member

Concerns/questions about selling a rolex online

hi there, hoping some folks who have experience on online selling platforms such as chrono and ebay. hoping you guys can help answer these questions.

it is my first time doing this and wanted ask some questions about certain situations that could happen that im concerned about.

1. What happens if I sell a watch to the buyer and the buyer later on makes up a fictitious story that the watch is not authentic even though I sent them an authentic watch?

2. How am I protected in the event that the buyer receives the watch that I sold them and he does a scam in which he takes the authentic watch that I sent him and swaps it for a fake replica of the same kind. Then he contacts Chrono 24 and claims that I sent him a fake replica watch... what would happen in this situation and how is the seller going to be protected?

3. How am I protected in the event that I send a watch to the buyer and when the buyer receives the package he makes up a story that the package had either another object in it or it was an empty box how will I as the seller be protected against this

Is the payment that the buyer sends reversible in anyway? I understand it goes into chrono's escrow account so after you guys receive it is it able to be reversed anyway? Or can it be reversed after you guys release the funds to me?

5.How long does it take for the funds to be released from the escrow by Chrono ?
commission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 01:58 AM   #2
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

IBTL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 02:00 AM   #3
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Deliver the watch in person once the wire transfer has cleared. No posting.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 02:00 AM   #4
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

sell it to a trusted seller here and you won't have to worry about any of those things
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 02:01 AM   #5
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If I were you I would sell to a trusted seller. No hassles and most provide a free label for fully insured shipping. You have your money wired the next day. They expect some marks as the watch is used and they may lightly polish to look new. There is really nothing you can do to protect you from the bad actors out there. There are many more traps and pitfalls you did not mention.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 03:14 AM   #6
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
sell it to a trusted seller here and you won't have to worry about any of those things

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 03:19 AM   #7
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Agree with the consensus here. There's no way to completely protect yourself if you go with ebay or Chrono 24.

Avoid ebay for sure and step lightly with Chrono 24. Ebay's fees are ridiculous for goods in this range. As mentioned,

going through a Trusted Seller here will take a slight hit in your take than if you sold direct to someone, but bypass the perils

of selling an expensive luxury good online.

From personal experience, I recommend Chase at Nashville Watch, David Williams (DavidSW), and Tony Geha at Just Rolexes.

But really, any of the trusted sellers here will make it happen.

Good luck - Ben.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 03:37 AM   #8
commission
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
Agree with the consensus here. There's no way to completely protect yourself if you go with ebay or Chrono 24.

Avoid ebay for sure and step lightly with Chrono 24. Ebay's fees are ridiculous for goods in this range. As mentioned,

going through a Trusted Seller here will take a slight hit in your take than if you sold direct to someone, but bypass the perils

of selling an expensive luxury good online.

From personal experience, I recommend Chase at Nashville Watch, David Williams (DavidSW), and Tony Geha at Just Rolexes.

But really, any of the trusted sellers here will make it happen.

Good luck - Ben.
thanks for the responses. so basically everyone is saying the stuff i listed could happen. and theres no real way to get around it.

ebay launced a new "authenticity guaranteed" service where you ship your watch to ebay and they authenticate it, only then do they ship it to the buyer themselves. this would help somewhat.

inr egards to trusted sellers. aren't they going to offer a lowball price so they can resell it for profit?

i dont want to sell my watch for wholesale prices or low ball prices.
Old 18 October 2020, 03:38 AM   #9
commission
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
If I were you I would sell to a trusted seller. No hassles and most provide a free label for fully insured shipping. You have your money wired the next day. They expect some marks as the watch is used and they may lightly polish to look new. There is really nothing you can do to protect you from the bad actors out there. There are many more traps and pitfalls you did not mention.
trusted sellers here will offer a fair market price? not lowball whole sale prices ?
Old 18 October 2020, 03:59 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by commission View Post
trusted sellers here will offer a fair market price? not lowball whole sale prices ?
No, they will not offer a fair market price. Re-sellers are in the business of selling used watches. They are going to sell it at market-price, so they will not buy at that price..
Old 18 October 2020, 04:03 AM   #11
jitdc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
The trusted sellers will offer what they think is a fair price. Of course it certainly won't be what they are going to re-list it for. However they have the experience, infrastructure and reputation that an individual doesn't. I've sold to one to DavidSW, it was super smooth. Highly recommend this route if you want to avoid potential issues. Sometimes speed and simplicity are worth more than the small difference you might make trying to go it alone.
jitdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 07:44 AM   #12
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

ebay launced a new "authenticity guaranteed" service where you ship your watch to ebay and they authenticate it, only then do they ship it to the buyer themselves. this would help somewhat.
First I've heard of this..
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:12 AM   #13
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
The trusted seller route will depend on how much they'll give you for your piece. Some of them will offer you only half of its market value, which I find downright abusive. If you can get 75% of market value, consider yourself lucky. When I sell I don't care if it's a so-called trusted seller or just a regular seller, I just want a fair price for my piece and a fair profit margin for the dealer.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 03:18 PM   #14
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Sellers will make an offer based largely around the value and ease of reselling your watch... some models move with no effort and thus their offer may be closer to current market value... but if your watch is likely to sit for weeks or months before it sells, expect that to be factored into the offer... also there is rarely a clear and set market price since it all depends on condition, completeness of the set, location, and the current market demand (which seems to fluctuate almost daily nowadays)...
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 03:51 PM   #15
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I have sold a few watches and never had any issues:
Don't use chrono or ebay, the fees are ridiculous especially ebay.
Don't sell to a gray dealer if you want the full fair value for your watch.
List it on forum and sell to established members from that forum who can offer references from past transactions.
Only accept wire transfers
Only use fedex and insure your watch.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 06:31 PM   #16
Will_L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
List it on forum and sell to established members from that forum who can offer references from past transactions.

This is sound advice.
Will_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:17 PM   #17
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
hi there, hoping some folks who have experience on online selling platforms such as chrono and ebay. hoping you guys can help answer these questions.

it is my first time doing this and wanted ask some questions about certain situations that could happen that im concerned about.

1. What happens if I sell a watch to the buyer and the buyer later on makes up a fictitious story that the watch is not authentic even though I sent them an authentic watch?

2. How am I protected in the event that the buyer receives the watch that I sold them and he does a scam in which he takes the authentic watch that I sent him and swaps it for a fake replica of the same kind. Then he contacts Chrono 24 and claims that I sent him a fake replica watch... what would happen in this situation and how is the seller going to be protected?

3. How am I protected in the event that I send a watch to the buyer and when the buyer receives the package he makes up a story that the package had either another object in it or it was an empty box how will I as the seller be protected against this

Is the payment that the buyer sends reversible in anyway? I understand it goes into chrono's escrow account so after you guys receive it is it able to be reversed anyway? Or can it be reversed after you guys release the funds to me?

5.How long does it take for the funds to be released from the escrow by Chrono ?

1. You’re in a world of hurt.
2. You’re not.
3. You’re not.
4. Yes. In many ways.
5. I don’t know because I only sell to trusted sellers on TRF so I don’t have to worry about this.

You should not do this — just sell to a trusted seller, take a little less, and sleep soundly after the transaction.
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 04:14 AM   #18
VonSlingshot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sound advice yes.

But as a non brick and moarter seller with little to no selling history, whom in their right mind is going to wire funds to a random guy for a questionable watch?

Selling is risky to a certain point.... there are a million ways to get scammed.
Ruthless screening/vetting of your buyer is going to be required.

If you don’t have the means to do that, perhaps selling to a gray at a lower value is an ‘easier’ way to go...
VonSlingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:49 AM   #19
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree in general but the advice that gets repeated on loop here is "buy the seller", no disrespect to the OP but he definitely doesn't fall into the trusted seller bracket.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 04:16 PM   #20
CryptoMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Kermit
Anyone tried StockX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk