The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 December 2019, 02:22 AM   #91
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I would disagree totally. These are preowned, worn, personal property watches - not new as sold through the Rolex dealer network.

Further, refinishing dials has been an industry standard for decades. Does anyone know of one case where Rolex sued a dial refinishing company for refinishing a Rolex dial - or "counterfeiting" a dial in the eyes of Rolex.

This suit is baseless harassment. Not a chance in hell than any jury would side with Rolex - even in California.
I agree with this.

I also agree that if a product is replicated and sold with the intent to deceive or cause the buyer to think it is an original product, that’s counterfeiting.

That’s not what these companies are doing. The Porsche modifiers, or Brabus, or this watch modifier, are not trying to deceive anyone.

Lastly, with 3D printing, there are a lot of replacement parts being made for products. That’s not counterfeiting. It only rises to the level of counterfeiting when you deceive the buyer. The intentional misrepresentation.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2019, 03:47 PM   #92
DocJekl
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Pepsi GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtayham View Post
I agree with this.

I also agree that if a product is replicated and sold with the intent to deceive or cause the buyer to think it is an original product, that’s counterfeiting.

That’s not what these companies are doing. The Porsche modifiers, or Brabus, or this watch modifier, are not trying to deceive anyone.

Lastly, with 3D printing, there are a lot of replacement parts being made for products. That’s not counterfeiting. It only rises to the level of counterfeiting when you deceive the buyer. The intentional misrepresentation.
x2
OMEGA - Grey Side of the Moon * Speedmaster Pro Speedy Tuesday + 3570.50 + 3572.50 x2 + 145.022-76 * Speedmaster X-33 Solar Impulse LE * Titanium Planet Ocean 8500 and 9300 * Seamaster Pro Ceramic Chrono * Planet Ocean LM LE * Watchco 300 * 1962 Seamaster DeVille gold cap w/date + Seamaster manual
DocJekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 06:43 AM   #93
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Yes - private owners may do anything to their personal property to modify it (to the extent such modifications do not violate statutes). Any action by a brand would need to be based on some grounds other than trademark confusion.

For example, I can’t mount a functioning rocket launcher to my Volvo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hahahaa, Paul!

Merry Christmas!
DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 07:10 AM   #94
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Hahahaa, Paul!

Merry Christmas!

DM

Same to you, D!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 07:35 AM   #95
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
As an attorney, it appears to me from that article that Rolex is attempting to make an example of this small company in order to deter others. In order for injunctive relief to be granted, a movant typically has to show: (a) irreparable injury, which cannot be compensated by money damages; (b) a likelihood of success on the merits; and (c) that, on balance, the equities weigh in favor of the party seeking the injunction. It will be interesting to see what the court does here.

Last edited by Tridor; 14 December 2019 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: 1
Tridor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 12:56 PM   #96
mrfreaz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I agree.

Or they can stop this nonsense and collaborate with these designers and make the watches people want.
Nah, I'm afraid that "collaborate" ain't in the Crown's vocabulary. That would be Tag/Heuer... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peRCjX6HkkM

Rolex is on a different planet altogether. The make like close to a million stock watches a year, all of them stock, no special orders. Take 'em or leave 'em. The petty thing is that the world's biggest watch company would stand in the way of a few thousand used watches from being restored and personalized to suit individual tastes. To these owners they are special watches that speak to them. To Rolex they are nothing more than "Counterfeits." Why? They'd rather those old clunkers all die off, so they can sell you a new one!

So the real question appears to be whether you own a Rolex, or they own you?
Apparently, "You never actually own a Rolex. You merely look after it until they can confiscate it from you for upgrading it with an unauthorized diamond bezel!" Unlike Patek Phillipe....
mrfreaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 01:11 PM   #97
mrfreaz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Again, I think the basis that will stand up in this case is where there are -clearly- non-Rolex parts, and the most damaging will be the non-Rolex parts that compromise the integrity of the watch (crystal comes to mind most prominently).

Using the Porsche argument, if an aftermarket tuner replaces the windshield with a pretty purple tinted one that shatters into little bits of glass that shower the occupants’ faces when a pebble impacts it, our government would have something to say about it, and Porsche’s lawyers would too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, God forbid that someone would upgrade those cheap, ancient, cracked plexiglass crystals to new, scratch resistant sapphires. It's clearly an endangerment of people's lives!
mrfreaz is offline   Reply With Quote