The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 3 October 2020, 01:18 AM   #271
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezinhk View Post
The gong on FPJ sounds like someone striking an IKEA glass with a spoon...ouch! Gong on all PP’s is like surround sound...music to my ears :)
The watch is garbage.

Sorry... The watch sounds like garbage... I have to hide my true feelings from the shills

And yes, the Pateks are basically the gold standard of what a repeater should sound like. They are wonderful.
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 03:48 PM   #272
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezinhk View Post
Indeed, they are in a different league.
I totally disagree. PP is not better than FPJ. They are in different field. One is a piano and one is a saxophone.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 07:18 PM   #273
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaye View Post
it's better.

+1
Old 13 October 2020, 04:21 AM   #274
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Does anybody know how many have been produced in total, ie what’s a case number of a recently acquired piece?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 04:48 AM   #275
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhahn44 View Post
Does anybody know how many have been produced in total, ie what’s a case number of a recently acquired piece?

I got mine in August of 2018 and my serial number is just shy of 1300.
I’m guessing they made around 200 pieces since then.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 07:48 AM   #276
TooWoundUp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Lol I was recently offered 30k for my FPJ CB Bleu from a pretty reputable dealer. Not sure what to make of that..
TooWoundUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 07:54 AM   #277
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooWoundUp View Post
Lol I was recently offered 30k for my FPJ CB Bleu from a pretty reputable dealer. Not sure what to make of that..

Seems either Like a low ball offer OR the prices we see for the CB on websites of TS are way off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 08:51 AM   #278
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I checked WatchBox a couple weeks ago who by their own accounts are “paying the highest prices ever”. They offered 45k USD... maybe I’m off the mark here but if they’re really clearing it at where they list their CBs (60k) that 30% spread seems too high to me and almost insulting given how easy these must be to move. Rep said they already have inventory so aren’t paying more ...
lanteanflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 09:43 PM   #279
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
30 k is a joke
They do sell for euro 50.000, a grey dealer I know sold one for that price a couple of weeks ago
Old 13 October 2020, 10:41 PM   #280
Yaz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
Crazy...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 02:29 AM   #281
cbalster
"TRF" Member

There is certainly stratospheric demand relative to production for this piece, but 30% spread seems correct for FPJ. It is a niche market unlike Rolex. I am not surprised the greys only pay 30-45k and then sell them for 50-60k.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 01:49 AM   #282
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
There is certainly stratospheric demand relative to production for this piece, but 30% spread seems correct for FPJ. It is a niche market unlike Rolex. I am not surprised the greys only pay 30-45k and then sell them for 50-60k.

That’s the thing it’s not a niche market anymore - for a dB or mbf I think you’d be right

Old 16 October 2020, 09:58 PM   #283
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
I got mine in August of 2018 and my serial number is just shy of 1300.
I’m guessing they made around 200 pieces since then.
Thanks.
I've just seen an offer on Chrono for a 2017 example with serial number 2-0xx.
How can that be? This confuses me.
Old 16 October 2020, 11:41 PM   #284
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Thanks.
2 simply means the 2nd thousand. So 2-100 would be watch 1100 I believe.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 11:46 PM   #285
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
2 simply means the 2nd thousand. So 2-100 would be watch 1100 I believe.
That's correct. FP numbers his watches in groups of 1000.
2-XXX is the second batch of 1000 so serial number 2-0XX would be watch number 10XX.
Old 17 October 2020, 09:14 AM   #286
AficionadoRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, FPJ, Rolex....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
That's correct. FP numbers his watches in groups of 1000.
2-XXX is the second batch of 1000 so serial number 2-0XX would be watch number 10XX.
Correct. I got my CB this year from an AD and it is 2-4XX. They have made about 1,400 - 1,500 of them to date.
AficionadoRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 09:35 AM   #287
Sinanamus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Just shows how bad of an idea selling to a dealer usually is. Keep or hassle to sell yourself seem better options given this offer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sinanamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 10:41 AM   #288
TooWoundUp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinanamus View Post
Just shows how bad of an idea selling to a dealer usually is. Keep or hassle to sell yourself seem better options given this offer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah honestly you’re right. I was shocked when I heard that number. I wasn’t actually serious about selling but was curious. Probably better off selling it on here or watch pro site or something

Old 17 October 2020, 10:45 AM   #289
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
Its already hot model and impossible to find unless you're a VIP
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 03:45 AM   #290
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AficionadoRolex View Post
Correct. I got my CB this year from an AD and it is 2-4XX. They have made about 1,400 - 1,500 of them to date.

Oh.. interesting. I got mine this summer and I’m 2-48X. I really thought it was 2400+ watches out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 06:37 AM   #291
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
Oh.. interesting. I got mine this summer and I’m 2-48X. I really thought it was 2400+ watches out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, yours would be number 148X.
Old 6 November 2020, 06:48 AM   #292
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Prices seem fairly stable at the moment. Three pieces got sold recently for €50kish asking price on Chrono24 (Europe).

Old 6 November 2020, 10:33 PM   #293
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

Yeah the CB has plateaued but at least does seem to be still trading. Can’t be said for many other pieces which have been marked up too much hoping for a halo effect. Chrono24 was down to 50 Journe pieces total at one stage, and now has 150 listings as everyone and their mother tries to offload an old elegante for 50k.

Old 7 November 2020, 12:09 AM   #294
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanteanflux View Post
Yeah the CB has plateaued but at least does seem to be still trading. Can’t be said for many other pieces which have been marked up too much hoping for a halo effect. Chrono24 was down to 50 Journe pieces total at one stage, and now has 150 listings as everyone and their mother tries to offload an old elegante for 50k.

Yeah the Elegante run up has been hysterical. When I see a Black Label way over retail at least you know it is super rare and hard to get. An Elegante at 3 times retail? Um, no. lol

edit: I say that as a fan of the Elegante, but come on. Who in their right mind would pay 30K+ for an Elegante when you can get a super nice CS for that money. At retail the Elegante is fantastic. At 35K? Um, nope. Not for me.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 01:11 AM   #295
boxster1990
"TRF" Member

As a longtime follower of the brand, and the humble owner of a RG CS Havana, I am somewhat concerned that the hype around FPJ is becoming unsustainable.

Aluminum octa sports, which earlier this year were available for <$30k are showing up on sites for $70k. That’s parabolic growth, which tends to be a bad sign.

IMO, and there is some speculation here, Govberg managed to corner the secondary market and is essentially setting the price for a lot of these discontinued pieces. Smaller dealers are drafting off of their pricing and it’s rippling through the market.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they are the same ones bidding up the price on these pieces at auction (particularly if they have multiple of the same pieces back in their vault).

I believe FPJ is an incredible watchmaker and brand and love the entire collection, but I worry about the hype machine.

boxster1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 08:36 AM   #296
mrarchiegoodwin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GShock Frogman
I recently bought a FPJ and like it so much I wear it everyday. My watch is used and cost a huge premium, but I admired the brand since the first Resonance and have liked the dealer for over 15 years. If the price drops to zero my opinion would not change. It's a watch; not an investment. My "investments" have cost me a lot more money than this and provided zero pleasure during the entire time.
mrarchiegoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 11:24 AM   #297
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarchiegoodwin View Post
I recently bought a FPJ and like it so much I wear it everyday. My watch is used and cost a huge premium, but I admired the brand since the first Resonance and have liked the dealer for over 15 years. If the price drops to zero my opinion would not change. It's a watch; not an investment. My "investments" have cost me a lot more money than this and provided zero pleasure during the entire time.
Well said. There’s no watch in my entire collection that exceeds my fondness for my CB. If the market price goes to $100K I’m not selling. I didn’t buy it as an investment. I bought it simply because it’s a watch I love to wear.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 11:48 AM   #298
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster1990 View Post
As a longtime follower of the brand, and the humble owner of a RG CS Havana, I am somewhat concerned that the hype around FPJ is becoming unsustainable.

Aluminum octa sports, which earlier this year were available for <$30k are showing up on sites for $70k. That’s parabolic growth, which tends to be a bad sign.

IMO, and there is some speculation here, Govberg managed to corner the secondary market and is essentially setting the price for a lot of these discontinued pieces. Smaller dealers are drafting off of their pricing and it’s rippling through the market.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they are the same ones bidding up the price on these pieces at auction (particularly if they have multiple of the same pieces back in their vault).

I believe FPJ is an incredible watchmaker and brand and love the entire collection, but I worry about the hype machine.

I agree the prices are elevated but think they will remain so for a few years - for me that basically means I’m not buying my second Journe for several years which has caused me to lose a lot of interest in the brand and research elsewhere since my next watch or 3 will not be a Journe. Maybe it’s also a bit of sour grapes, but if you could’ve paid 50k last year for something and it costs 100k this year - well, that hardly makes you want to dive right in if you have some semblance of financial sense.

Old 9 November 2020, 11:54 AM   #299
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanteanflux View Post
I agree the prices are elevated but think they will remain so for a few years - for me that basically means I’m not buying my second Journe for several years which has caused me to lose a lot of interest in the brand and research elsewhere since my next watch or 3 will not be a Journe. Maybe it’s also a bit of sour grapes, but if you could’ve paid 50k last year for something and it costs 100k this year - well, that hardly makes you want to dive right in if you have some semblance of financial sense.

Same here. I was looking at a Resonance used from FPJ in Q4 2019, then went to buy in Q2/late Q1 and prices were up like...2x+ so it didn't really make sense to me. Part of the appeal to me personally was the bang for buck with FPJ but at current prices it's gone and there are plenty of other very interesting watches available in that price range.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 12:02 PM   #300
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

Yeah affordability is one (large) thing and then even if you’re fine with paying 100k for a Journe you do now have to consider a lot of other competition that wasn’t a factor at 50k. This year I started looking at Urwerk and De Bethune, something I never did before, and obviously you’ve now reached deep into Patek and Lange‘a catalogue and are even glancing blows with some RM. I don’t have any of those brands and at that price the personal utility of a first piece from them is probably greater than a second Journe.