The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 October 2021, 04:46 AM   #61
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
Is this thread for real? I was just there in June, out and about all over the place. Rolex on the wrist, Rolex EVERYWHERE. Not once did I feel threatened.

Dang, I don’t really like NYC because it’s so big, but sorry,
it’s basically safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This. Compared to the 90's NYC is Disneyland. the media like to hype and sensationalize a few unfortunate occurrences but generally NYC is still a safe city and the violent crimes / capita are a fraction of what they were in the 90's.

Also, Rolexes are everywhere. My waiter a few weeks ago was wearing a sub, nbd.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 06:07 AM   #62
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
This. Compared to the 90's NYC is Disneyland. the media like to hype and sensationalize a few unfortunate occurrences but generally NYC is still a safe city and the violent crimes / capita are a fraction of what they were in the 90's.

Also, Rolexes are everywhere. My waiter a few weeks ago was wearing a sub, nbd.
Well, if you compare it to what is was Pre-Covid, the story is a bit different
Old 14 October 2021, 08:55 AM   #63
js613
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrolex View Post
Happening in LA too. Lot's of people out of work and no more free money from unemployment. Recipe for disaster, like another poster said be careful. Main reason I haven't worn my YG DD outside yet.
Per the NY Post article:
"The crew tools around in Mercedes-Benzes and BMWs to pull off its heists…"

They don't seem unemployed and poor to me. That said, I haven't worn my YG DD outside either.
js613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 01:09 PM   #64
mschafer
"TRF" Member

There's certainly a change in the air. While not an open threat, one has to pay a bit more attention to where and who's around. It's not as bad as the south of France or Europe yet, one notices the increase in homeless and desperate people, which makes one a little uneasy wearing watches that increased in value exponentially then what they should...
Had dinner last night at Sant Ambroeus in the West Village with my GMT dangling on the sidewalk, zero issues or fears, didn't even cross my mind (same anywhere in Berlin and Frankfurt in May/June, btw.).
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 01:29 PM   #65
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Loosing a human life for a watch or jewlery is not an inconvenience as someone mention here.

I will not sit in an outdoor cafe with my watch /jewlery, depending on city and neighborhood. In the Washington DC area one has to be careful as in any major city.

My approach is hide watch/jewlery under sleeve to/from uber and while inside uber too.

Don’t leave house/building/restaurant etc until uber has arrived…after sunset only black service uber.

No seating at outdoor cafe seating in any area of city as equals easy target.

Keep an eye of your surroundings always… with or without my watches… We can be targets at anytime.

Stay safe and enjoy your accomplishments.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 04:23 PM   #66
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
NYC will get a new mayor soon. And New Yorkers can’t wait.

There was a arrest made this week, and police think this was the group going around, robbing people for their watches, and jewelry.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 10:19 PM   #67
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by js613 View Post
Per the NY Post article:
"The crew tools around in Mercedes-Benzes and BMWs to pull off its heists…"

They don't seem unemployed and poor to me. That said, I haven't worn my YG DD outside either.
Unemployed by choice. No one can find people to work
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 10:25 PM   #68
Beo3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny325 View Post
NYC will get a new mayor soon. And New Yorkers can’t wait.

There was a arrest made this week, and police think this was the group going around, robbing people for their watches, and jewelry.
They will, and it certainly will not get better, at least for a very long while.

And the problem now is "copycat crimes". After seeing how lucrative this crime is, many criminals will broaden their horizons and attempt the same.

Just be cautious and aware of your surroundings at all time.
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 10:50 PM   #69
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
Kinda like when a drunk driver makes it home safe one time it indicates that despite all obvious evidence driving drunk is safe right?

Not quite. Kinda like there’s a bunch of people fear mongering on this thread, when in reality , you’ll be ok wearing a Rolex in NYC.

Old 14 October 2021, 11:16 PM   #70
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Not quite. Kinda like there’s a bunch of people fear mongering on this thread, when in reality , you’ll be ok wearing a Rolex in NYC.

glad you came to that conclusion as a tourist here. in reality though, yes you are fine wearing a rolex here and it's still one of the safest big cities, but also it's still a fact that it's a lot worse than it used to be pre pandemic
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 11:28 PM   #71
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
glad you came to that conclusion as a tourist here. in reality though, yes you are fine wearing a rolex here and it's still one of the safest big cities, but also it's still a fact that it's a lot worse than it used to be pre pandemic

My daughter lives in NYC. I visit frequently and know all about the good and bad, actually since the 1970’s.

Old 15 October 2021, 01:40 AM   #72
Star Ferry
Banned

I think it's clear that "Don't wear a Rolex in NYC" is an overstatement. But there's been some change, and Manhattan was closer to a risk-free playground for the rich in 2019 than it is today.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 01:53 AM   #73
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Lots of nonsense in here from people who do not live in NYC. The issue is not just random crime and quality of life issues, which have honestly been getting worse over the last 5+ years. The real issue surrounding watches is not the decrease of quality of life/increased crime, but that social media has made it common knowledge what these watches are worth (the fresh direct delivery guy commented on my watch!). 5 Years ago I wore APs, Patek anywhere and never gave it a second thought. Now, no chance would I do that without long sleeves. The reality is when people know you are wearing 50K+ on your wrist, you are going to be more of a target irrespective of whether the general crime rate for the city is higher or lower than what it has been historically.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 02:34 AM   #74
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I agree the majority will be alright. Doesn’t mean things haven’t gotten worse and people should pay more attention than pre-COVID or a little before that.

In any case ones personal anecdote doesn’t override trends and statistics on crime.
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 01:40 AM   #75
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
It’s impossible to argue against the numbers and the statistics indicate violent crime is way up in most larger cities. At minimum by a factor of 7% this year vs the start of Covid. This is tru for most larger cities and some of those saw double the increase in that time frame. I love Los Angeles and would wander almost anywhere with a nice watch. Out here I’m almost always in short sleeves so not much hiding going on. I find myself leaning towards my g-shock more often than I used to.
Old 18 October 2021, 02:49 AM   #76
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Lots of nonsense in here from people who do not live in NYC. The issue is not just random crime and quality of life issues, which have honestly been getting worse over the last 5+ years. The real issue surrounding watches is not the decrease of quality of life/increased crime, but that social media has made it common knowledge what these watches are worth (the fresh direct delivery guy commented on my watch!). 5 Years ago I wore APs, Patek anywhere and never gave it a second thought. Now, no chance would I do that without long sleeves. The reality is when people know you are wearing 50K+ on your wrist, you are going to be more of a target irrespective of whether the general crime rate for the city is higher or lower than what it has been historically.
Good point. If you walked around with 100 dollars bills hanging out of your pocket, chances are you may be more of target. AND mugging people for their wallets have always been a thing. Although now few carry cash.

Perhaps the problem also is, you have no real emotional connection to your wallet and cash but your beautiful watch you may have the urge to fight back, which is generally a bad idea except for the Rambos here.

Too much information has always been an issue of safety. I think helicopter parenting came as a result of missing kids on milk cartons. Even though the vast vast majority were disputes involving divorcing parents.

People keep hearing safety issues in one place and start to fear it everywhere.
Old 18 October 2021, 01:30 PM   #77
watchbobby
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Not condoning any of this, but wearing $100,000 worth of jewelry out to dinner? Be real people, you're just asking for trouble.
watchbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 03:07 PM   #78
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
And just imagine getting rolled for your Rolex that you bought in Canal Street.

Bet its happened.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 04:18 PM   #79
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
If you think NY is bad check out some European cities.
Old 18 October 2021, 04:27 PM   #80
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Is this that "energy" that people who live in NYC are always talking about?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 06:30 PM   #81
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Move to Australia, wear what you want only 26m same size nearly as US, in control at the moment.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 07:31 PM   #82
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc10ken View Post
I may be biased but I think NY will recover when the following happen in the short to medium term. We don't know exactly when but when the following happen:

1) delta calms down
2) tourism returns
3) companies make folks go back to office.

And one more will be sure to happen end of this year 4) current mayor steps down, nobody can do a worse job than him.
In NYC, most of the good shopping, restaurants, boutiques and entertainment venues dried up long before Covid, hence there is not much to recover after Covid calms down. I was in NYC last week and not much has changed except less people walking around. The same storefronts that were vacant pre Covid are still vacant. Saw the usual drugged up zombies walking around but that is nothing new.

From an operational perspective, the city lost a lot of sales and tax revenue, but it didn't change much on how thing are run. Everything from the Transit Authority, to the Taxi and Limo commission to the Board of Education was mismanaged by corrupt nitwits pre-Covid. Today, it is neither better nor worse.

When more people get back to the office, sales and tax revenues will increase the cities coffers and more bribe money will be available for the corrupt politician's, unions and failed projects.

The new mayor will have his hands tied behind his back the day he takes office and if tries to actually do his job and make things better they will set him up with a scandal and get him out.

So, will NYC recover? It doesn't need to, everything was already broken.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 09:12 PM   #83
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
So, will NYC recover? It doesn't need to, everything was already broken.
It's not broken, it's clearly "fixed"
330ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 11:23 PM   #84
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchbobby View Post
Not condoning any of this, but wearing $100,000 worth of jewelry out to dinner? Be real people, you're just asking for trouble.
well with watches going in the direction they are 100k isn't anything crazy. a 5711 is 150k and 15202st is 100k now...years ago 100k of jewelry would mean you'd be wearing a bunch of diamond necklaces or a RM, basically what celebrities go out in but now it could be just a plain steel watch. not like you're wearing anything overly flashy in this case but it's still in the 6 figure range
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 12:28 AM   #85
Bugsy
"TRF" Member

Anecdotally it does seem that many wealthy fled NYC during pandemic, and with less tourist one could stick out in a crowd a little easier. still it does seem mindset of Rolex wearers in European cities is more cautious than NYC.
Old 19 October 2021, 02:25 AM   #86
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCP View Post
Loosing a human life for a watch or jewlery is not an inconvenience as someone mention here.

I will not sit in an outdoor cafe with my watch /jewlery, depending on city and neighborhood. In the Washington DC area one has to be careful as in any major city.

My approach is hide watch/jewlery under sleeve to/from uber and while inside uber too.

Don’t leave house/building/restaurant etc until uber has arrived…after sunset only black service uber.

No seating at outdoor cafe seating in any area of city as equals easy target.

Keep an eye of your surroundings always… with or without my watches… We can be targets at anytime.

Stay safe and enjoy your accomplishments.
That's a lot of requirements just to feel safe from having an expensive watch taken. I visit them but don't live in a city and don't have any of those worries around home. I'm not sure I'm willing to do it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote