The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 October 2021, 02:35 PM   #1
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Greater fool theory

“In finance and economics, the greater fool theory states that the price of an asset is determined by whether you can sell it for a higher price, at a later point in time. On assets where the theory applies, it is implied that the asset's intrinsic value is less important than the increase in demand, however irrational it might be. Any person buying the asset might be a fool, but a person buying the overpriced asset later on, for a higher price, is deemed the greater fool.”

When does it stop? When there’s no greater fools.

I feel mixed about this post. Mainly because I genuinely like watches, and don’t see it as some kind of investment game. I only buy watches to wear, I don’t plan to ever sell or trade any piece I buy. I’ve also been lucky to have a number a good watches and not had to buy anything grey. Principally I’m against buying grey, I’m not against those that do.

Paying 2x, 3x, 4x retail? The idea is that prices will always go up I guess? Not sure the endgame, but the music has to stop at some point.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 02:39 PM   #2
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

It will be interesting to see - maybe some time yet before we can see what will transpire......
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 02:42 PM   #3
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
It’s a fool’s conversation. Just walk away
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 02:47 PM   #4
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
There’s a lot of other watches to be had and enjoyed that aren’t inflated.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 10:16 PM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
“In finance and economics, the greater fool theory states that the price of an asset is determined by whether you can sell it for a higher price, at a later point in time....”

When does it stop? When there’s no greater fools....

Paying 2x, 3x, 4x retail? The idea is that prices will always go up I guess? Not sure the endgame, but the music has to stop at some point.
We do indeed live in interesting times.

When you mention a form of payment, the first rule-ish is that there needs to be something of 'perceived value' on both sides of the transaction so each party is a willing participant.

As for the 'perceived value' of each item used within the trade, that is where CONfidence may come into play.

It may be best if i humbly leave it to you to figure out what is a CONfidence game, and what has intrinsic value. Ask yourself, what is the actual 'cost' in labor/resources/skill/etc to produce 'A' versus 'B'?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 11:26 PM   #6
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

And also, say, $20,000 is a lot of money to some people and pocket change to someone else who just buys whatever they want.

So the cost is meaningless, if it's an item they want.

While some people are sitting around figuring out 'value" and cost benefit ratios, and resale values, others just spent irrelevant cash on something that they bought on a whim.
Old 13 October 2021, 11:47 PM   #7
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Good. I cant wait for the music to stop and the market shakes out the folks here to make a quick buck they can go back to stocks.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 01:14 AM   #8
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
If you do the math on some Rolexes that aren’t parabolic, you’re basically paying retail, tax and a grand or two premium. So it’s not that bad for some SS/Sport Dress models. Also, when you look at the retail prices of most SS Rolexes, IMO they’re already under priced, especially when you see PAMs (as an example) near the same retail price for like watches. I personally think all SS/Sport Dress Rolexes should retail with starting prices over $10k anyway except for the likes of OP etc..

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 01:27 AM   #9
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
If you can figure that out, you've figured out life...
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 01:54 AM   #10
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about cryptocurrencies. Or tulips.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 02:01 AM   #11
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
“In finance and economics, the greater fool theory states that the price of an asset is determined by whether you can sell it for a higher price, at a later point in time. On assets where the theory applies, it is implied that the asset's intrinsic value is less important than the increase in demand, however irrational it might be. Any person buying the asset might be a fool, but a person buying the overpriced asset later on, for a higher price, is deemed the greater fool.”

I feel mixed about this post. Mainly because I genuinely like watches, and don’t see it as some kind of investment game. I only buy watches to wear, I don’t plan to ever sell or trade any piece I buy. I’ve also been lucky to have a number a good watches and not had to buy anything grey. Principally I’m against buying grey, I’m not against those that do.

I think two ways to look at it:

1. Secular growth trend in prices will slow down and flatten. Then we move back to the historical cyclical growth trends.

2. Historically Rolex (SS Professionals especially) have acted as a inflation adjusted store of value i.e. not an "investment".

So either we are experiencing a secular growth trend that will soon revert to cyclical growth or perhaps inflation is much greater than we perceive.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 02:24 AM   #12
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I think two ways to look at it:

1. Secular growth trend in prices will slow down and flatten. Then we move back to the historical cyclical growth trends.

2. Historically Rolex (SS Professionals especially) have acted as a inflation adjusted store of value i.e. not an "investment".

So either we are experiencing a secular growth trend that will soon revert to cyclical growth or perhaps inflation is much greater than we perceive.
Yes, there was a fantastic chart someone posted here on TRF one time that showed the inflation adjusted MSRP of a Rolex submariner on the chart of those initial dollars at time of purchase. I think it went from the 70s through the mid 2010s. The two lines were identical, meaning when you adjust for inflation MSRP literally just keeps up with inflation.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 02:49 AM   #13
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Double post.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 02:59 AM   #14
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
“There are more fools in the world than there are people.”
― Heinrich Heine

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 07:13 AM   #15
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
Yes, there was a fantastic chart someone posted here on TRF one time that showed the inflation adjusted MSRP of a Rolex submariner on the chart of those initial dollars at time of purchase. I think it went from the 70s through the mid 2010s. The two lines were identical, meaning when you adjust for inflation MSRP literally just keeps up with inflation.
Yes, that was a great chart
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 09:03 PM   #16
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

It’s what makes a market. Everyone has a different perception of value.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 09:17 PM   #17
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
And also, say, $20,000 is a lot of money to some people and pocket change to someone else who just buys whatever they want.

So the cost is meaningless, if it's an item they want.

While some people are sitting around figuring out 'value" and cost benefit ratios, and resale values, others just spent irrelevant cash on something that they bought on a whim.
This right here. $39K for a hyped inflated Daytona is literally a rounding error for many while this is a lifetime achievement and a grail for others. The latter are mad about the flipping, gray, price increase etc etc while the former could care less and probably not even on here and ambivalent to what is going on.

As for when it ends and at what height, no one knows just hundreds of threads on forums "speculating". Maybe it will never come down only flatten. Who knows. Certainly possible the "market value" prices of today never goes lower even if there is a crash.

All I do know and hope and what we all talk about around the barn is hopefully people are not leveraging themselves to the hilt for all these luxury purchases. Seems like people think they are rich when they look at their home value and 401K. Hopefully they aren't going out and borrowing on that paper "equity" because when that does come down, which it will always does, those are going to be the ones in trouble. My philosophy right now is if you can't buy it all cash and could lose it tomorrow without any issue then you should probably hang on to your money.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote