The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 October 2020, 09:08 AM   #1
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Omega Seamaster 300

I am interested in hearing people's opinions on the newest Omega Seamaster 300. I have a fairly large collection of Rolex and IWC. I do own an Omega Speedmaster Professional that gets a ton of wear. The Speedmaster does clearly feel inferior to my Rolex and IWC in terms of build, but that is part of the charm. I recognize it's trying to stay connected to its predecessors from the 1960s and thus isn't finished as lavishly as other references.

What I want to know is how the Seamaster 300 stacks up against the Submariner, Aquatimer, Superocean, etc. I'm not looking for case dimensions, stats, moreso just anecdote of how it fits into your collection and if you think owning a Submariner and Aquatimer makes it redundant.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 09:38 AM   #2
greengold
Banned

I'll put it simply. I had the previous gen seamaster for several years before I upgraded to the hulk. I felt that seamaster was 'cheap' compared to the sub. The laquer dial with 'stuck on' omega logo, the uneven bezel it just felt on a subpar all the way round plus non in house movement.
Fast forward to the current one..it is a game changer. I sold my hulk and this is my beater now and imo it IS as good as the sub (cant speak to the latest model) but in general terms when I look at it, the ceramic dial, lazer cut, in house movement, it LOOKS expensive it FEELS expensive..it feels on the same level to me now aside from the big price difference.

greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 09:41 AM   #3
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengold View Post
I'll put it simply. I had the previous gen seamaster for several years before I upgraded to the hulk. I felt that seamaster was 'cheap' compared to the sub. The laquer dial with 'stuck on' omega logo, the uneven bezel it just felt on a subpar all the way round plus non in house movement.
Fast forward to the current one..it is a game changer. I sold my hulk and this is my beater now and imo it IS as good as the sub (cant speak to the latest model) but in general terms when I look at it, the ceramic dial, lazer cut, in house movement, it LOOKS expensive it FEELS expensive..it feels on the same level to me now aside from the big price difference.

x2..... You can't find a better diver in that price range.
TRF member #917
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 09:50 AM   #4
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
x3 as I saw one at the AD when I went to get my Seamaster Chronograph back from service. The look and quality is top notch. Omega even went all out with the wooden boxes that I now love so much. It's so nice having an exhibition case back on a piece like that too.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 09:52 AM   #5
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
I think the 300M is every bit as good if not better than a Submariner. And it's cheaper, readily available at most ADs and probably can be had at a 15%-20% discount if you shop around.

I think you'll find many of your questions answered here.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=682305
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 10:34 AM   #6
vh2k
"TRF" Member

No matter what color you get (black, gray, blue, or white)... there’s no denying it’s a visually stunning watch. That laser-etched wave dial is unique and a total home run.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 02:22 PM   #7
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

These comments have been immensely helpful. I have a really well rounded collection of divers, pilot watches, GMTs, etc. I am looking for something in the 4-7k price range, something with a blue dial (because I lack a blue dial), and something that can be worn everyday. I am down to the new Breitling Chronomat and the blue Seamaster 300. I know one is a chrono and the other is a pure diver, but they would each be a redundancy in my collection anyway. It’s more about a good, everyday sports watch.

The comparisons you made of the newest Seamaster to its predecessors has been extremely helpful.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 02:32 PM   #8
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Owned it for a while, it's a nice watch.

Perhaps more technically impressive on paper than on the wrist, for me it was a bit large and heavy (small wirst) and did never warm up to the "skeleton" hands.

I found it more comfortable on the rubber strap, which is quite nice.

For the price it's hard to beat, I just enjoyed more the BB58 when it came to an "affordable" diver, even if the spec sheet is arguably not as impressive as the Seamaster's.
Old 21 October 2020, 05:34 PM   #9
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
amazing watch. nothing but high praises here.

the 90s bond seamaster is the design that won. you may love it or hate it. but it definitely looks classy yet tough.

i thought the skeleton hands would make it difficult to read but the lume just brings it out. the bezel is a little hard to rotate. but the whole wave design, raised markers and color just brings it together.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 08:35 PM   #10
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned several Sea Master 300's and have found them to be outstanding in every way. They are comfortable, on rubber is great, visually pleasing and keep great time. Are they as good as a Rolex Submariner, the answer is yes and the argument could be made that for the money they are better. If I had to choose either/or it would probably be the Omega. I am currently head over heals with the ceramic Sea Master, it gets a lot of wrist time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200916_143539 (002).jpg (172.6 KB, 1318 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 09:57 AM   #11
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:

Comments here are dead on.

I’ve owned several Rolex Subs, including all the models in the previous generation. The new SMP is as nice a watch as the Sub. And for the value proposition, a much better buy for the $$.

I never warmed up to the previous generation SMP’s. This model knocks it out of the park on all points. Build quality and movement.

It’s a great piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 10:39 AM   #12
BradSomrak
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
To each their own here, obviously.

I have owned multiple Subs and have owned the Seamaster 300. I sold the Seamaster after about two weeks. It wears bigger than I would like (again, subjectively) and the helium escape valve really, really bothered me. From a symmetry perspective, from a lack of actual functionality perspective, etc.

I also wanted a rubber strap, but couldn’t find one. So I wore the Seamaster on a bracelet, and the lack of a taper is my most disliked feature. The bracelet, to me, feels way to “fat” for daily wear. (Quick tangent - I do not know why Omega cannot get the quality of its bracelets on par with the watches, themselves. But I digress). I often wonder if I was “too hard” on the watch because of my utter disdain for the watch’s bracelet.

No comparison to me. I will always have a Sub, but I will likely never replace the Seamaster. A Speedmaster for me for the long haul....
BradSomrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 11:35 AM   #13
greengold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradSomrak View Post
To each their own here, obviously.

I have owned multiple Subs and have owned the Seamaster 300. I sold the Seamaster after about two weeks. It wears bigger than I would like (again, subjectively) and the helium escape valve really, really bothered me. From a symmetry perspective, from a lack of actual functionality perspective, etc.

I also wanted a rubber strap, but couldn’t find one. So I wore the Seamaster on a bracelet, and the lack of a taper is my most disliked feature. The bracelet, to me, feels way to “fat” for daily wear. (Quick tangent - I do not know why Omega cannot get the quality of its bracelets on par with the watches, themselves. But I digress). I often wonder if I was “too hard” on the watch because of my utter disdain for the watch’s bracelet.

No comparison to me. I will always have a Sub, but I will likely never replace the Seamaster. A Speedmaster for me for the long haul....
I agree with the bracelet comment here the sub tapered bracelet did wear better however omega sell a rubber strap for the new 300 not sure if you saw it but it is very comfortable and light felt good build quality
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 11:37 AM   #14
BradSomrak
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
I agree with the bracelet comment here the sub tapered bracelet did wear better however omega sell a rubber strap for the new 300 not sure if you saw it but it is very comfortable and light felt good build quality

Yep. I saw it. I legit couldn’t get one ordered - it was like a 6 month for buckle. So it basically meant I couldn’t get one. Ha. It happens.
BradSomrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 12:00 PM   #15
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

I can only compare the sub and Seamaster. Have not owned the others.
Movement: SMP
Bracelet: Sub
Bezel action: sub
Case design: SMP
Clasp: SMP
Quality: sub
Value: SMP
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 09:04 PM   #16
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:

+1

I was a 30 year Rolex collector and am now selling my Rolex collection after I bought the 300 white dial/black bezel model. I just happened to notice it during my biweekly AD visit and test drove it. Fell in love with it in 30 seconds, it’s my new daily. Will probably buy a speedmaster racing and an aqua terra and then break up with my ADs. Tired of the Rolex drama.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 11:45 PM   #17
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradSomrak View Post
Yep. I saw it. I legit couldn’t get one ordered - it was like a 6 month for buckle. So it basically meant I couldn’t get one. Ha. It happens.
Interesting. One of my besties bought the watch at the beginning of the year and also purchased the matching rubber strap for $300 from an AD in Dallas.

But I did read about how difficult it was to get a rubber strap for the watch about 18-24 months ago. Maybe that's changed where today that's not the case.
Old 22 October 2020, 11:46 PM   #18
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
+1

I was a 30 year Rolex collector and am now selling my Rolex collection after I bought the 300 white dial/black bezel model. I just happened to notice it during my biweekly AD visit and test drove it. Fell in love with it in 30 seconds, it’s my new daily. Will probably buy a speedmaster racing and an aqua terra and then break up with my ADs. Tired of the Rolex drama.
LOVE IT!!!
Old 23 October 2020, 12:08 AM   #19
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
+1

Well said

I feel the same way. Haven't really had an interest in picking up a Rolex since I got my Sea Dweller 50th back in late 2017. Not willing to jump through the Rolex hoops anymore or pay big markups to the greys.

Love with Omega that you can actually walk in the store and try it on before throwing down your money. Getting a discount is great as well. Once you discover how great Omega is, Rolex starts to fade from the mind.

How you liking that white dial SMP300? Still love it just as much? I'm looking for the same watch on black rubber. Waiting for my AD to get another one in and waiting for the right price. But shouldn't be too long...
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 12:20 AM   #20
Tongyk
"TRF" Member

My daily beater and I love it. Strangely I haven’t take a photo yet, since I bought it at start of the year. Will take a photo soon..

Tongyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 12:42 AM   #21
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Well said

I feel the same way. Haven't really had an interest in picking up a Rolex since I got my Sea Dweller 50th back in late 2017. Not willing to jump through the Rolex hoops anymore or pay big markups to the greys.

Love with Omega that you can actually walk in the store and try it on before throwing down your money. Getting a discount is great as well. Once you discover how great Omega is, Rolex starts to fade from the mind.

How you liking that white dial SMP300? Still love it just as much? I'm looking for the same watch on black rubber. Waiting for my AD to get another one in and waiting for the right price. But shouldn't be too long...
I still love it, it has a great contrast and the red accent is perfect. I switched between a 16710 Coke and a 14060 as my daily for years and I don't miss either one of them at all. It's a great watch.

Agreed about the ability to get one, it's a relief to actually buy a watch and not have to play games to do so. It's been a lot of fun discovering a new brand too. I was "nothing but Rolex" for way too long.

Hope you get it soon!
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 12:42 AM   #22
G3Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex etc..
This generation Seamaster is absolute perfection. It’s the complete home run with the various dial/bracelet/strap combos.

I will have one on the wrist at some point.
G3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 01:22 AM   #23
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

i bought mine on the bracelet and it is a beauty.

for anyone looking to quickly and easily source the rubber strap and buckle, i recently had one delivered this week from a company called "swisswatchspares.com"

ordered on a friday morning and i was wearing my watch with it installed on monday afternoon...excellent service and it had to travel from england to new york state

not affiliated in any way, just trying to spread the good word, i emailed the owner of the company and wanted to express my gratitude for such prompt and excellent service and he said i was welcome to share news of his business on a forum or facebook etc etc..
Rochester585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 01:45 AM   #24
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
I still love it, it has a great contrast and the red accent is perfect. I switched between a 16710 Coke and a 14060 as my daily for years and I don't miss either one of them at all. It's a great watch.

Agreed about the ability to get one, it's a relief to actually buy a watch and not have to play games to do so. It's been a lot of fun discovering a new brand too. I was "nothing but Rolex" for way too long.

Hope you get it soon!
Thanks for the feedback

Throw a pic on here if you get a chance
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 02:40 AM   #25
CollinVon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I recently bought the white dial black bezel variant and have been nothing but impressed so far. I searched pretty extensively for a new daily after wearing an aquaracer for years.

I originally was only interested in the watch on rubber, but the AD was able to throw the rubber in if I bought it on the bracelet. I thought I would be in a hurry to put it on the strap, but the bracelet is actually way more comfortable than I thought it would be. I have relatively flat wrists so the oversized clasp doesn't bother me at all and the quick adjust feature is fantastic.

The contrast of the white dial against the black bezel with red accent really does make a statement. The finishing is fantastic. The watch on paper is also comfortably ahead of anything else in the same category. It's over 15 times more antimagnetic than the Milgauss, and the METAS certification is quite a bit more strict than the COSC requirements. Not to mention the price differences. I haven't set the time in 12 days and have gained about a second and a half total.

While I don't own a sub, I do have a DJ 41 that I wear regularly. The quality seems to be in contention with Rolex. You can definitely hear the movement more, and the bracelet is nowhere near as nice, but aside from that I think it's definitely on par. That being said, I think there is definitely room in ones collection for a Seamaster 300 and a Submariner. To me they are two different watches. The sub can be more easily dressed up, but also won't ever fly under the radar. I think the Seamaster is a bit more sporty and fun, if you will, but has also shown that it can be taken seriously.

All in all, it's a super legible, accurate, and aesthetically pleasing watch for a great price.
CollinVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 03:17 AM   #26
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

love these reviews guys...it is nice to read honest commentary coming from a place of simply enjoying watches and comparing brands from an enthusiast stand point and not from a hype or investment standpoint

that all has a place as well but i had read and have been finding it to be the case in my experience as well, that omeega enthusiasts are more interested in the watches and the joy of collecting more than the hype, status or investment return
Rochester585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 08:43 AM   #27
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

I have both, Omega Seamaster 300 and Sub. I love them equally but Seamaster does feel more modern and beautiful. Even New Sub 41mm looks “Old” but classic.
I probably confused you more than answred your question!
Sorry, but you will always have those who say Sub is better and others will say Seamaster is better!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 09:03 AM   #28
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
I'm a bit of a classic watch guy. Speedmaster, BB58, Explorer, 16570 Polar, vintage Seikos. I have always kinda liked the Seamaster but never considered buying. A few months back I bought the latest model. Absolutely love it and it's still getting 80% wrist time. I've worn it on a few different straps after taking the bracelet off. I prefer a Milanese on it now and have a No Time To Die mesh for it on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 09:38 AM   #29
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Thanks for the feedback

Throw a pic on here if you get a chance

trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 08:34 PM   #30